Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
5919 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
Home
Features
News
Forums
Classifieds
Links
Downloads
Extras
OS4 Zone
IRC Network
AmigaWorld Radio
Newsfeed
Top Members
Amiga Dealers
Information
About Us
FAQs
Advertise
Polls
Terms of Service
Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
59 crawler(s) on-line.
 18 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 IRTheBorg:  36 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  42 mins ago
 Trekiej:  49 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 Sonnya:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 WeiXing3D:  4 hrs 10 mins ago
 Steady:  4 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  Napalm Setup & Boot Script
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: Napalm Setup & Boot Script
Posted on 7-Aug-2020 20:26:17
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
To match the 030 I think you need to anti-pimp it and take it down a notch!

I don't follow you because although the 030 sets the pace when both machines run at low res, game speed wise it is the 060 RTG that is struggling to keep up with the 030 once it is running in high res mode (and the 030 remains at low res)! Remember the null modem game would not run for any time at all when the 060 was running high res through AGA but once I enabled the PIV modes they gave it a boost and the ability to keep pace with the 030 low res AGA until the tank rush offensive phase of the game where the 060 struggled.

Therefore it IS the 060 that needs to be pimped, any ideas?

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 8-Aug-2020 16:52:19
#42 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Therefore it IS the 060 that needs to be pimped, any ideas?

Sorry I misunderstood. Now this doesn't make any sense. I wonder if setting it to a screen mode based on the same resolution would help. That is use the PIV mode tool to create a 640x512 mode. And even a 320x256 mode. Both in 8-bit. I don't know if the game assets are optimsed for Amiga resolutions or if it includes chunky graphics suitable for VGA.

So the 030 only has AGA and not setup for RTG? Actually does it have RTG Master installed? Do both do?

I had RTG Master setup on my A1200 years ago that only had AGA. I wonder if this may affect speed using it. But I see you had issues without it.

Apart from that, have you tested a, shock horror, native AGA mode on the 060? High res and low res. If you dare.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Aug-2020 19:47:46
#43 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
I wonder if setting it to a screen mode based on the same resolution would help.

Interesting idea.

Quote:
So the 030 only has AGA and not setup for RTG? Actually does it have RTG Master installed? Do both do?

RTGMaster is required to run the game even if using AGA.

Quote:
Apart from that, have you tested a, shock horror, native AGA mode on the 060? High res and low res. If you dare.

Yes, as previously explained the 060 was dog slow in AGA native mode high res and would constantly fall 2 seconds behind the 030 in low res requiring the automatic 'Network Consistency Failure - Recovering Data' recalibration. Tedious!

Is it your experience that an 060 RTG should be able to keep up despite the doubling of the resolution?

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Aug-2020 17:15:14
#44 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Yes, as previously explained the 060 was dog slow in AGA native mode high res and would constantly fall 2 seconds behind the 030 in low res requiring the automatic 'Network Consistency Failure - Recovering Data' recalibration. Tedious!

Sounds like it. I wonder if anything else is going on? It really doesn't make any sense. Nothing in the WB/Startup that would disturb the system?

How would the drives compare between them? Shouldn't matter once the game loads as Amiga games don't tend to reload assets after play starts. Does the game have any CD audio or need the game CD in the drive?

Could do a speed test on your drives. I like DiskMonTools as it's simple to perform a speed test with it. Works with OS4!

Quote:
Is it your experience that an 060 RTG should be able to keep up despite the doubling of the resolution?

It should! A full Zorro 3 card or proper video card should have the full bandwidth to keep up easily. I've used a PicassoIV and now a CyberVision with my 060 A4000D. But my game testing has been limited. I haven't done much but test some 3d games. I don't think I have Napalm here but I do have Earth 2140. Strangely after a read on the case and box I see no list of requirements. It must work on an unexpanded A500 then!

If it needs RTG Master that's not a good sign for AGA, usually. A game should work out of the box. It seems okay on AGA though. So I wonder if some setting is messed up that's stopping it from writing directly to the graphic card through the driver? Something confusing it into thinking it needs to convert graphics.

Could try a screen mode speed test.

BigD 
Posted on 10-Aug-2020 11:20:40
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Sorry I misunderstood. Now this doesn't make any sense. I wonder if setting it to a screen mode based on the same resolution would help. That is use the PIV mode tool to create a 640x512 mode. And even a 320x256 mode. Both in 8-bit. I don't know if the game assets are optimsed for Amiga resolutions or if it includes chunky graphics suitable for VGA.

Ok, created a 640x512 mode with Picasso96Mode and will see what happens. I understand that there might be some scaling behind the scenes slowing down the 640x480 high res mode. Point taken

BigD 
Posted on 10-Aug-2020 13:49:42
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

I can't get the PIV to accept 640x512 resolution as when I try and save / reboot for it to take effect it reverts to 640x480! I have experimented with trying 640x480 interlaced and running from my SD card rather than the hard drive. Both seem to make the 060 RTG run faster though I didn't finish the test because the 030 crashed with a software failure! Always the way that it remains stable until your testing the other machine!

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 11-Aug-2020 17:30:18
#47 ]
Elite Member

comment on last comment without reading the first, never mindů

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2020 at 05:32 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 11-Aug-2020 21:54:08
#48 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Ok, got it now regarding a 640x512 P96 Screenmode:

THIS guide really helped in creating new P96 screenmodes! I just need to test its performance now!

BigD 
Posted on 13-Aug-2020 14:23:50
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Yes, victory! The mixture of the 640x512 PIV mode and loading off my SCSI2SD V6 SD card partition rather than the old SCSI hard drive seemed to help. One 'Network Consistency Failure' message in the whole game and it recovered straight away! I love it when a plan comes together

The main problem now is how much chip mem the game uses up on the AGA 030 system which can lead to some crashing. Reducing the Workbench to 2 colour and low res prior to loading the game seems to save enough to avoid most problems. Workbench can still suffer a software failure in the background sometimes (doesn't affect the game though once 'suspend' is selected rather than reboot).

My son nearly beat me again and although I was helping him I was concentrating on my tactics as well! He's an Esports star in the making if he keeps this up At least he can say his interest in computers started on the Amiga!

Thanks again for pushing me in the right direction with what was likely causing these issues! As I say, there is no guidance on RTG screenmodes etc in the Napalm manual.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle