Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  6 mins ago
 matthey:  34 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 corb0:  4 hrs 21 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 21 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A-EON Technology Website
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
persia 
Re: A-EON Technology Website
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 3:05:31
#121 ]

@Swoop

A young lady on the Amiga.org board observed that if you rub the knob thing on the website it gets longer....

Profile     Report this post  
persia 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 3:13:55
#122 ]

@KimmoK

It's an ugly site. I had a couple web designers in my office today, they took one look and broke out laughing.... Bad design is bad design. Like it or not we live in 2010, the site needs to be judged by 2010 standards....

jahc 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 3:49:02
#123 ]
Elite Member

@thread

I can't wait to upgrade :) I haven't browsed the site properly yet, just gave it a quick browse on my phone this morning on the bus, after seeing it mentioned on facebook a few times. Should be nice to develop on once they get this machine out the door. Can't wait for youtubeing on Timberwolf one day too.

sundown 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 4:08:36
#124 ]
Elite Member

@persia

You're a total unknown business wise, for all we know, your office could be in the bathroom. The so called web standards have made it harder today to find any information that I need quickly. I'm glad to see that a-eon isn't just another cow in the herd.

@Hans

Other then the speed of the system, the best news is we now have a web page & I'm sure it's still a work in progress.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 4:35:34
#125 ]
Team Member

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@KimmoK

It's an ugly site. I had a couple web designers in my office today, they took one look and broke out laughing.... Bad design is bad design. Like it or not we live in 2010, the site needs to be judged by 2010 standards....

And other web designers might laugh at the work of the couple of web designers you had in your office today. Lets also bear in mind the target audience is a group for which A-Eon would probably be looking to attract partially from a nostalgia angle anyway.

You are free to share your opinion, but your bit about the web designers comes off as manufactured just to rub something in.

Amiga 1200

olegil 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 5:29:56
#126 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

So my current theory is that persia's office is his bedroom, as that's way more likely than bathroom.

Couple that with the trend of hiring minors to do your website, and we could very well make a theory about persia being a pedophile here.

Good thing we won't stoop to his level, eh?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 5:38:56
#127 ]
Cult Member

@whose

Quote:

But I dont know a single site that is 100% perfect from the engineering POV. So what?

The major GUi element of that website is hidden in the bottom right corner - the last place that anybody would look at. On top of that, said important GUI element is labeled "Click!". If a GUI designer has to put written instructions on the most important element of his GUI ("you can click here"), he basically admits that he messed up as far as usability is concerned.

Before the site presented any useful information to me, I had to search the whole screen, read instructions on using the site, click once to open a menu then click a second time to select a menu item. When I had actually found the information I wanted, it was presented in a window that used only an eigth of the available screen space.

I wouldn't excatly describe that as "not 100% perfect, so what?".

KimmoK 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 6:37:26
#128 ]
Elite Member

@persia

"they took one look and broke out laughing.."

GREAT! We need more happy people !

I bet they do LOL with any "Amiga" related they see, isn't it so.

a-eon went light year forward from their previous web page look & content, or do you think the old one was better???

/CONSTRUCTVE MODE:/
- the "click here" (even though it's meant only for temporary info delivery) should be more visible on the page (it took me minutes to spot it, not good)
- the web site works poorly (especially on low-end) cell phones (I tested on Nokia N73 and Nokia 3120)

Last edited by KimmoK on 15-Apr-2010 at 06:50 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

CodeSmith 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 7:03:44
#129 ]
Elite Member

Ah, it just wouldn't be the amiga scene without the unnecessary drama.

I like the site but I will say, that captcha is brutal. I had to click on it something like four times before it showed text I could definitely read. I eventually subscribed just fine though (Firefox 3.6.3 on win7)

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 7:15:28
#130 ]

Finally got through the thread.

I don't mind the site at all. I like the graphics too. I like the panel slide-out.
The site is a testament to the playfulness A-Eon has exhibited so far, with the puzzles.

Clearly, it is a website targeted to people interested in OS4, thus the window navigation is a novelty feature appropriate for the audience. Outsiders, who can't figure it out, probably aren't the audience A-Eon is going for.

There are people looking at the page source for puzzles. Therefore, I think, if you are interested, you will find the right button to click. (although placement on the far right is a little odd. Is it a docky thing?).

Clearly this website is intended to be different and deliberately break common website UI conventions. It is not meant to be a testament to web design, but rather an indication of the playfulness of the company, and the fun aspect of using an Amiga.

Incidentally, I once built a similar window based website, like a lot of other people have, but decided not to use it. It might be appropriate in an Amiga OS context though. I should dig it out some time.

Honestly, to all the haters, take a chill pill. I am getting so sick to death with every little thing that gets criticised in this community by some people. Next. they'll start criticising the HTML layout or something. I don't know why these companies bother to even cater to the community most of the time.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 7:35:27
#131 ]
Elite Member

@thread

The thing is nobody has all the time in the world to make the site perfect...the site is not spectacular but it's not tragic either, I have seen worse websites...Amiga Inc.'s site, unfortunately, was just pathetic which is a shame.

For example I haven't got time to make my webpage lovely so as long as it is clear enough and gives enough information then it's fine.

Time will come when it can be made more professional.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 7:40:10
#132 ]
Elite Member

@thread

on amiga.org they are talking about male reproductive parts:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52350&page=3

am I missing something?!

sundown 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 7:59:13
#133 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

Just more hatred, just ignore. Really sad to see A.org hit the dumps like that.

ChrisH 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 9:01:03
#134 ]
Elite Member

@opi Quote:
Non-obvious and gimmicky navigation. Window management as part of website experience.

Me thinks you missed the point of the web site. I think it does it's intended job quite well: It's something different (like the X1000), while being easily navigatable, and gets your attention.

P.S. How the hell did people write 4 pages of stuff since I made my last post? I've got to read that now! Maybe this post will be irrelevant by the time I finish reading...

Leo 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 9:07:35
#135 ]

The website is ugly, doesn't respect any standard (and I'm not even talking about W3C stuff, but graphically). And technically, the funny thing is that they are embedding jQuery and not even make use of it so you see JS bindings inside the HTML markup (onclick=...).

You can like the design (after all this is very much Amiga like and well... kinda old), but you can't say it's easy when it's not. You can't say it's intuitive when it's not. And last but not least "we don't have time", is no excuse. There are plenty of web developers here (seeing all the comments here) and I'm sure more than one people (including myself) here would have been happy to help doing a decent website...

So like it if you want, no problem with that, but it's amateur, and it looks old. And like it or not, but we're in 2010. And I am one of the few people that like the Amiga, but that is living in 2010, not 1990...

The website certainly is important on the Image of your company... But one thing is sure, it really looks like a comeback indeed: as if the Amiga just woke up after 25 years... Too bad things have moved around...

Last edited by Leo on 15-Apr-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Last edited by Leo on 15-Apr-2010 at 09:08 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 9:13:38
#136 ]
Elite Member

@opi Quote:
I don't ask you to care. My opinion is as valid as yours.

That is one hell of a back-track from your previous position of "my opinion is much more valid than yours, I have 25 years of experience, this is my bread & butter" (paraphrased).

Quote:
I've pointed out flaws

You pointed out what you think are flaws. Some of us don't. Quirks yes, but they have charm I think.

But I wouldn't want every web site to be like it. In fact it would be an awful experience. But as a one-off, I think it works quite well.

@Petah Quote:
It doesn't look anything like the Web 2.0-ish designs you'd expect from a startup-company in 2010

That isn't necessarily bad. Who wants to like like every other Web 2.0 site?

BigD 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 9:26:53
#137 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

Quote:
The website certainly is important on the Image of your company... But one thing is sure, it really looks like a comeback indeed: as if the Amiga just woke up after 25 years... Too bad things have moved around...

It's a LOT better than the original teaser website with it's weird colour schemes! It's definitely a 'work in progress' and will no doubt get better. But it really is great to get a feel for the AOS 4.x style windows and I'm sure ex-Amigans will enjoy the novelty! The limited information available is interestingly positioned in that fun 'BoingBall' click-out bar and the information is well presented and concise.

Also, it allows A-EON to collect contact information to send out email updates! The website does everything they NEED it to right now! Until the product is finalised for release little else is required. I see no reason for over-hyping this product until they have a fixed release date!

The Website show that work is progressing and that this is a serious product. I also like the way the information is written. It is almost as if A-EON is building itself a Company Personality that is easy going, technically well informed but with an over ruling sense of fun and with a focus on computers as a fun hobby rather than an industrial work horse. Not since the 'ClickBoom' woman have I enjoyed the presentation as much as the message

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 9:29:30
#138 ]
Elite Member

I like the new website design.

At this moment works fine for the purpose for which was conceived.
It's the moment to spot on that the fact that a new Amiga Computer is coming with the OS4 operating system in it. Moreover, would be nice to put on the web site more features that recall the OS4 operating system, like Ram disk, screens (screen drag too) and other nice features. This could attract people that doesn't know what Amiga OS4 actually is.

Hans 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 9:32:51
#139 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
You can like the design (after all this is very much Amiga like and well... kinda old), but you can't say it's easy when it's not. You can't say it's intuitive when it's not.

I can say that it is easy to use, because it is. Let's take a quick look. The first thing you're likely to notice is "A-EON" at the top. Great, we're in the right place. Next you'll probably notice "Amigaone X1000. Coming Summer 2010" with a button under it that says "register for updates." That's pretty intuitive, and very important too, for something that's coming soon. Because the web page is free of clutter, there's nothing to distract you from the tab in the bottom right hand corner with a boing-ball and the word "click" on it. Hmmm, click; okay, I will. Out slides a dock that clearly resembles Amidock in Amiga OS. If you're not an Amiga OS enthusiast, you'll recognize it as a menu.

"Media," "X1000," "Links," and "News." I'm interested in this X1000 thing, so let's click on it. Up pops a window that clearly looks like an Amiga OS 4 window with text inside it. You don't have to be an Amiga OS user to know what to do with that.

Following standard convention, there's a copyright notice at the bottom of the window, and a clickable contact email address.

I didn't have to think to do any of this. It was easy.

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 15-Apr-2010 9:42:36
#140 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
Moreover, would be nice to put on the web site more features that recall the OS4 operating system, like Ram disk, screens (screen drag too) and other nice features. This could attract people that doesn't know what Amiga OS4 actually is.

While that would be nice for us, for people who aren't familiar with the system it would only distract them from what's important. It's the lack of distractions in the main part of the page that draws your eyes to the dock tab at the bottom right. Clutter up the screen, and you risk having newcomers leave because they missed the dock tab and didn't know what to do next.

Hans

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle