Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 69 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  17 mins ago
 Dragster:  18 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 roar:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 Matt3k:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 ktadd:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiwest 2012
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: Amiwest 2012
Posted on 26-Jul-2012 23:41:34
#81 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

I just quoted Steve's post since I felt it was newsworthy based on the plan/initiative formerly stated by Amigadave. I don't get into interpreting these things.

Profile     Report this post  
amigadave 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 1:32:33
#82 ]

@Moxee

Quote:

Moxee wrote:
@number6

Quote:
I was behind the scenes working on something which has pretty much been scuppered by those I tried to involve (non Aros) so best I do not go.

The way I read that is it sounds like some non-AROS spooks are trying to shoot him down.

Am I reading that correctly?

I don't think so Moxee. I have been corresponding with Steve, trying to find a way that would allow him to attend the 2012 AmiWest Show, but unfortunately, it does not appear that he will be able to attend this year.

I believe that Steve was working on perhaps more than one project and was trying to generate interest and gain partners in one or more of his ideas, or projects. Probably he was not able to sign up these partners from outside of the AROS community, and because of this lack of partnership, Steve has had to change some of his plans.

At least that is how I interpret his posting that you quoted and the hints I have gleaned from his emails to me in the past month.

I was looking forward to meeting him in person, so I am sorry that he can't make it to the 2012 AmiWest Show. Maybe I can make a trip to the UK some time in the next few years and meet him then.

I should let Steve answer for himself, but I seriously doubt that there are any "non-AROS spooks" trying to "shoot him down".

clusteruk 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 9:22:00
#83 ]

@amigadave

Think I should answer this.

Firstly and most importantly, going to AmiWest is too expensive for me personally just to wave the Aros flag, AmigaDave very kindly mentioned sponsorship which as I said I was uncomfortable with, even though I would have paid half, and after a few days it was obvious people felt similar to me on the cost/benefit calculation so I withdrew my attendance.

However, I have two or three projects I wanted to get off the ground and show at AmiWest but they relied on others agreeing that it is a good idea and beneficial to all parties involved.

A lot of people have possibly guessed some of it but I will explain the key parts which I was going to keep secret until agreement for the third part but as that is not happening I will just mention the first two.

http://www.imica.net/FunctionsPage.aspx?dsid=751&action=GetImageFromDB

This was designed for me by Tom Wright, yes no lid so you can see Raspberry Pi, and I wanted to put this into production with a number of changes, however the moulding cost for injection moulding is high (circa £5-10k) and for it to work well the third part of equation needed to be in place.

The second part was a brand new Aros distro called iMicaOS to go with it based on Aros hosted on linux with a classic Amiga look and feel. I am having some cool communication software written to basically do what my old Siamese Software would do, clipboard sharing, command execution etc, except for RTG with Aros communicating with Linux.

The third part was basically making this a promotion product for the world of Amiga to the Raspberry Pi community which will sell I believe millions of units. Having Aros is a good introduction but it would have promotional backdrops included showcasing all Amiga flavours, links to sites and video introductions and activities and have access to the full Raspberry Pi Linux distribution and 1080p media playback and of course 3d.

Right now, I am considering doing a Kickstarter, so if people think this is a good idea then let me know if they would contribute to it in principle. Basically I will get the design built and tested first and then the kickstarter would be paying for the tooling costs and other potential expenses.

Just so you know the target price with iMicaOS on an SDcard was to be around $50, plus it was important I got an UAE derivative emulator on it too.

Hope that clears most of it up.

Last edited by clusteruk on 27-Jul-2012 at 09:23 AM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 10:00:01
#84 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

WOW!

btw. that imica design looks a little similar than what I had been dreeming for a pico sized PPC board.
Yours mimic the A3000 design (IMO), I was thinking about A1010 floppydrive looking design. Anyway, something that old farts see as Amigalike.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

clusteruk 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 10:19:52
#85 ]

@KimmoK

The case design was totally designed to show respect to the A3000 case.

Franko 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 12:00:00
#86 ]
Elite Member

Seems to me like despite asking how to encourage more folk other than just OS4 users to attend the show it seems that the entire show is being aimed solely at OS4 users...

Quotes from the blurb on AmigaOS Programming Seminar...

Quote:
Who should come?

• People that are familiar with using AmigaOS 4 (GUI, system, etc)
• People that want to learn to develop for the Amiga Platform

Seems like certain people think "Amiga OS" is somehow only for version 4.x only...

Quote:
Why not MorphOS or Aros?
There are many topics to cover and in order to create a focused and successful event we will limit ourselves to a single platform. Many of the topics and much knowledge will be transferable between the Amiga Compatible systems.

So no MorphOS, no AROS and not even a mention of the 68K side of things who are still after all the biggest number of Amiga users...

yeah... encourage more folk to attend... just as long as they're OS4 fans...

And you wonder why the community is so fractured, some things never change eh...

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 12:17:38
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

"AmigaOS" in the sense here is the OS from Hyperion (not 68k). There will be at least two people from the Aros camp (one of them will be Jason) and David showing MorphOS.

KimmoK 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 12:24:38
#88 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

It would be grazy for core AOS4 developers to host a AOS3 or MOS developer meeting.
Think about it!

But what is stopping having separate developer meetings for those others?

And most likely 68k SW programming can be disscussed as well, in AOS4/petunia compatible way.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Franko 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 12:36:38
#89 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

The point I'm making here, is that there is a thread running that wanted people to input ideas about how whomever organises Amiwest could encourage more visitors to the show by trying to encompass all things Amiga, not just OS4...

From what I have read it seems now that the organisers don't actually want that now and only want the show to be directed at OS4 users...

Seems to me like it's going to be once again an OS4 show (interesting as that may be) but not likely to increase the number of attendees if all other Amiga related things are nothing more than an afterthought...

You may well consider "AmigaOS" to only mean the Hyperion version but I don't and I'm sure others don't, after all if your going to mention AmigaOS then 3.5 & 3.9 were marketed first as AmigaOS...

Just seems to me now that Amiwest should be renamed OS4west to be a bit more accurate in it's description...

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 12:46:47
#90 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

There are four different definitions now for "Amiga" so from a certain point of view you can call it "Ami". But who cares... it is a coming together from a couple of people from USA (and e-on/Hyperion). But most of the users and developers were and are in europe so a event there would be much more important. And anyway most potential users/developers are outside the community so there is the future (from my point of view). Just the same people meeting each other, pat each other on the back and tell how great we are is certainly not helping in the long run

number6 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 12:57:10
#91 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

A copy of my post #40, from this thread:

Quote:
The campaign has begun again to color the Amiwest show as more and more centered on OS4. The video of the floor displays from Amiwest 2011 that Robert posted obviously proves the opposite.

Last year the exhibition of MorphOS was even more prominent than ever before.

Jason McMullan (AROS) spoke and answered questions through Skype.

In addition to the usual classic repair night, FPGA, MCC-216, classic in general was represented. In addition people from the Amiga's classic past attended, and I'm sure the attendees enjoyed speaking with them.

Emulation was certainly represented through Michael from Amiga Forever.

Since the MCC-216 represents even a wider scope than Amiga "with its C64, A500, and Atari 2600 cores", the diversity stretched even further.

Potential exhibitors and those wishing official schedule time for talks with or without use of the large screen are always told to contact Brian Deneen well in advance so he can plan the schedule.

Those of you who wish to participate this year, please contact Amiwest at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Please read the last line carefully. People who wish to participate are asked to contact AmiWest.
It is not AmiWest's job to seek out participants. They have enough on their plate to do as a volunteer service to organize the show itself. It is the community that must encourage attendance that you speak of by contacting people and asking them to consider attending.
In addition to the above mentions about classic, Jens Schoenfeld was a long time sponsor of this show. People who were associated with one of the most prostigious h/w companies in CLASSIC amiga history were there.

If your issue is AmigaOS prior to OS4.x, then your course of action should be clear.
Encourage the people that YOU want to attend to erm...ATTEND.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 13:06:12
#92 ]
Elite Member

@number6

I personally think that events like this that only attract existing users are not the future anyway (just my personal view).

Regarding Frankos comments...
What Franko means is that the texts from Amiwest are indeed targetting OS4 users and are less attractive to the other camps (Aros, MorphOS, 68k).

Franko 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 13:09:28
#93 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Franko

There are four different definitions now for "Amiga" so from a certain point of view you can call it "Ami". But who cares... it is a coming together from a couple of people from USA (and e-on/Hyperion). But most of the users and developers were and are in europe so a event there would be much more important. And anyway most potential users/developers are outside the community so there is the future (from my point of view). Just the same people meeting each other, pat each other on the back and tell how great we are is certainly not helping in the long run

Think your missing my entire point here, Amigadave started a thread a while back asking people to submit ideas/ thoughts on how they could hopefully increase attendance at the show and encourage more from from ALL flavours of the Amiga to attend...

Which is a good idea both in terms of financially for the show and for opening it to a wider audience...

Sadly though from reading this thread it seems to me it's just going to be the usual OS4 orientated show and as interesting as I find that. it seem a pity that the show is not going to be more diverse which could have possibly pulled in a few more people and online viewers...

It may well be to you just a gathering of the same people patting each other on the back but at least they actually organise a yearly event. If we in Europe are so much bigger in numbers and "more Important" then why don't we have a much bigger & more important show over here...

I somehow doubt "most potential developers" are outside the community as most folk outside don't even have a clue the Amiga still exists...

On the subject of "AmigaOS" you may not care but I do, AmigaOS doesn't just mean OS4 if I'm explaining to someone what OS I use I tell them 3.5, 3.9, 4.0 etc... as AmigaOS encompasses them all so it's much simpler and more logical to give the version number rather than saying "AmigaOS" and then having them ask "but which version"...

Franko 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 13:12:05
#94 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@Franko

Please read the last line carefully. People who wish to participate are asked to contact AmiWest.
It is not AmiWest's job to seek out participants.

Please read my reply to OlafS25 just above where I point out Amigadaves thread where he was indeed trying to seek out participants...

number6 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 13:15:40
#95 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Regarding Frankos comments...
What Franko means is that the texts from Amiwest are indeed targetting OS4 users and are less attractive to the other camps (Aros, MorphOS, 68k).

I realize that. But he seems to color his post very clearly in a fashion to indicate that other folks can not do (the seminars) what ssolie chose to do.

That has nothing to do with discrimination. Perhaps they don't want to attend. Perhpas it's all about travel. Perhaps they don't want to organize a seminar. Perhaps they have that desire but don't know how to go about such a thing.

Bottom line is that it is their OWN decision keeping them from having a presence and not the show organizers.

Last edited by number6 on 27-Jul-2012 at 01:18 PM.

number6 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 13:17:51
#96 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:
Please read my reply to OlafS25 just above where I point out Amigadaves thread where he was indeed trying to seek out participants

Please read the AmiWest website and the SACC website to see who the show sponsors are.
All you are doing is making MY point that it is the community who has to encourage participation.

Last edited by number6 on 27-Jul-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 13:28:54
#97 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:

I realize that. But he seems to color his post very clearly in a fashion to indicate that other folks can not do (the seminars) what ssolie chose to do.

That has nothing to do with discrimination. Perhaps they don't want to attend. Perhpas it's all about travel. Perhaps they don't want to organize a seminar. Perhaps they have that desire but don't know how to go about such a thing.

Bottom line is that it is their OWN decision keeping them from having a presence and not the show organizers.

Think you being a wee bit melodramatic there with the "discrimination" bit and I certainly didn't colour my post to indicate that no one could not do seminar...

I am merely pointing out that even after Amigadaves appeal to have the show opened up to a far wider Amiga audience than just OS4 users that it now seem s like it's going to be the usual 99% OS4 fest...

Not sure how much Amigadave has to do with organising the show but his was a good idea to widen the scope of the show but for whatever reasons, that certainly doesn't look like it's going to happen which to me is a pity...

Bottom line IS if you want a bigger audience then you have to appeal to all flavours of the Amiga otherwise there was no point in asking folk how to try and improve the show for all, was there...

number6 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 13:34:00
#98 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:
Not sure how much Amigadave has to do with organising the show

Please read other people's posts and not just your own. I beg of thee...

Amigadave said:

Quote:
Let TekMage and the rest of the SACC guys know

Would he suggest people contact TekMage and SACC if HE was SACC???

Last edited by number6 on 27-Jul-2012 at 01:34 PM.

itix 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 13:49:10
#99 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

It is not AmiWest's job to seek out participants. They have enough on their plate to do as a volunteer service to organize the show itself. It is the community that must encourage attendance that you speak of by contacting people and asking them to consider attending.

Perhaps the community could start Amigabounty project to encourage more people to consider attending. $3000 bonus to every community member attending Amiwest who is living outside the North America.

Sill, I probably wouldnt consider attending because travelling 30000 km is not fun and there is all this hassle with the family, work, airport gestapo etc.

terminills 
Posted on 27-Jul-2012 13:50:51
#100 ]
AROS Core Developer

@itix

Quote:
airport gestapo

So you have been to the US recently? >.<

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle