Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  39 secs ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  5 mins ago
 kriz:  5 mins ago
 zipper:  29 mins ago
 pixie:  30 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  33 mins ago
 lionstorm:  37 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  2 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
Arko 
Re: AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 10:25:05
#141 ]

Zapped by mod

Last edited by Darrin on 26-Oct-2012 at 10:17 PM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Profile     Report this post  
Rose 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 10:25:06
#142 ]
Cult Member

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@Rose

Ok, so collaboration is out of the question, glad we finally figured that out at last, put this arqument to bed & thats where I'm headed now.

So clarification from owner of comppany is out of question? Not much ground for co-operation then. When you give impression of real comppany, someone who isn't employed doesn't make announcements about change of comppany position.

But nice to see that your idea about co-operation is that everyone else bows Hyperion.

Last edited by Rose on 26-Oct-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Last edited by Rose on 26-Oct-2012 at 10:26 AM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 10:31:16
#143 ]
Elite Member

@thread

perhaps this summary has been around aoutside Moobunny, so...

Stuff from moobunny, about OS4 Road Map presentation by Steven Solie:

-New shell. It was finished a while back, bugfixing is being done.
-OpenGL coming along
-Multi-core support coming.
-A new file system API is being worked on
-4 Gigs of ram we want to get to sooner rather than later, 2 gigs aren't enough.
-SSolie is working on a new delivery system to get things out faster
-About subscriptions: would you feel comfortable about donating a smaller regular fee of money and get smaller releases more often, instead of bigger releases less regularly for more money? Like $20 half a year
-no additional information of releasing the portable. It's coming along.
-SDK: I don't want to do a new SDK before having my new delivery system in place.
-I'm focusing on automation. Automated testing, automated distribution. Then I have my little team of developers. I focus on fast development
-A concrete development Road Map with dates will not be communicated. "It's there but it's all behind the scenes"
-What constitutes a new release? "You mean OS4.1 or OS4.2 or OS5.0, like that? When shall we release a new release for money, like that? It's a matter of what adds value to the user and a subscription model can take care of that."
-And users? There are no killer apps to bring people back. A browser? An office suite? It won't bring people back. You can make it more comfortable for those already here. Computing has changed. Those who want Amiga is "here". Those who want to be able to push a button and then it works, is "over there".

@collaboration

As long as people manage to put aside childish comments (like those of Rose above), collaboration is possible.
Not everybody have ego issues. Some people with issues are at the core of RED and BLUE camps, the rest can make a difference.

Last edited by KimmoK on 26-Oct-2012 at 10:34 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

itix 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 10:58:19
#144 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:

Thank you for clarifying that part, that's your choice, I don't like it, but I can live with it. Now tell us if you're willing to collaborate in any way with the OS4 developers. Fab has ported a few programs to OS4, nice, would love to see more of the same.

See source code releases section on our download page:

http://www.morphos-team.net/downloads

Starting from MorphOS 3.0 it is automatically updated on each release.

From my personal projects I open sourced Screen Recorder application when a developer asked if he could create an AROS port.

wawa 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 11:04:32
#145 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

im really curious why are you making demands of mos and aros camp in therms of collaboration even though os4 has already benefit on that. instead it is up to os4 now to stand to solies announcement and give something back into the common basket. you know collabortion is not always taking, its giving too. so if this is serious this is up to them to prove. and stop blaming others, your rant here starts to look like the one of arko.

wawa 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 11:10:24
#146 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Quote:
Not all software you buy last forever. I got Windows versions lying around in CDs that are obsolete. Do I throw tantrums over the limitations of Windows 95?

nither i do at workbench 3.1.
though do you suppose a regular customer (not a fan) would be fine with support and delivery practice by os4 team? i mean, look, supporters are getting uneasy, and talking about regular commercial enterprise, you expect joe average to pay thousands for half backed solutions, not getting updates in years and accepting this as ...

Yssing 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 11:12:06
#147 ]

@itix

Quote:
Acube has ported OS4 to Mac.

Really?

Swoop 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 11:46:00
#148 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
MOS used parts of Aros code and is still "commercial" so both would be possible.

But, has AROS been able to use parts of the MOS code?
AROS being open source can be used by anyone within the terms of it's license.
Closed commercial code cannot.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

terminills 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 12:04:02
#149 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Swoop

The MorphOS team returned their changes back to AROS.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Swoop 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 12:29:57
#150 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Quote:
The MorphOS team returned their changes back to AROS.

Is that changes they have made to the AROS (open source) code, or code that is part of the commercialy released MOS/MorphOS?

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

elwood 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 12:37:36
#151 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:
Acube has ported OS4 to Mac.

Wrong.

Amiga Translator Organisation

ShadowSun 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 13:01:17
#152 ]

Moderator(s),

Please lock this thead.

Or erase all messages that are not linked to "Amiwest 2012 clarifications"

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 13:04:26
#153 ]
Elite Member

@Swoop

It is both, that is the idea of opensource. You use code for your software and if you change the code (f.e. optimize it for speed) you give back the changes so everybody can use it too. It is a "Win-Win", all parties involved have benefits.

terminills 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 13:04:30
#154 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Swoop

Not sure what you mean... They used the opensource parts in the commercial product.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 13:05:21
#155 ]
Elite Member

@ShadowSun

Why locking the thread??? Most posts are related to the topic...

ddni 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 13:09:38
#156 ]
Cult Member

@ShadowSun

Sadly that won't happen.

... deleted by mod...

It isn't going to happen because there is no need to close this thread. See your PM inbox.

Darrin

Reinstated by DDNI without comment regarding moderation.

It seems that a thread started by Steven purely for him to offer clarification on comments made by him has descended into the usual suspects pushing their own agendas.

It would be preferable to keep this thread limited to question followed by answer from Steven.

If someone wants to further debate an answer, then it should be taken to a separate thread.

As It stands, this thread is a perfect example of why investment in any flavour of Amiga is a bad idea.What is most annoying, is that a half dozen zealots are the public face of Amiga users.. Not good

Last edited by ddni on 26-Oct-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Last edited by ddni on 26-Oct-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Last edited by Darrin on 26-Oct-2012 at 02:26 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 13:16:11
#157 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

I think there are people that have developed negativ feelings that they will propably never overcome. But the majority in the community has enough of the "wars" between the camps. And the concept of "closed source" and "commercial" is slowly coming to a end because the communities that shall finance it are getting too small. That is expecially a problem for Hyperion that is obviously the most "commercial" party now and all new concepts like subscriptions to get more (and expecially faster) new money are risky and put off everyone outside. So they have (in my view) either the choice to "melk" what is lift and risk that they loose what is left or they discuss about how giving it a boost. And Aros is offering the components they need. Regarding MOS it is pure speculation why they not support certain hardware (economic reasons or emotional or both) but that is of course different in the Aros camp. We do not do it for "profit" but for fun and idealism. So everyone is invited to take part and cooperate and if two camps would seriously start the third camp would join (or left).

scabit 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 13:31:10
#158 ]

@KimmoK

Thats a pretty good summary. There is one significant thing missing from it though.... Steve Solie (and I watched this personally from the streaming live video) talked about the fact that cooperation between the 3 "camps" was not only a good idea, it was really necessary. He said several sentences...I wish I had recorded it, about how important it is to ensure that the petty bickering and in-fighting among MorphOS, AROS and AmigaOS4 users and developers stop...especially on the forums where many people come to look at what is going on with the Amiga these days and are immediately scared away by the continuous arguments and idiotic and pointless attacks and counter attacks from one group to another.
This is MY wording...I do not recall exactly what he said. Please do NOT quote it as if it is verbatim. But it was an important part of Steve's presentation and I was impressed by his understanding of how many hundreds if not thousands of potential Amiga users have been lost because of people on these forums purposely arguing for the sake of arguing.
Why doesn't anyone list that as one of Steve's points?

scabit 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 13:35:47
#159 ]

@itix

Thank you for making your sources available. I for one appreciate it any time someone does that with their programs. It helps everyone in all three groups have the opportunity to learn a little more and not have to do as much extra work by starting from scratch.

Scott

Last edited by scabit on 26-Oct-2012 at 01:36 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 13:41:21
#160 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

When I created my 68k distribution I had contact to a number of developers (and a big number of them "ex" amigaos users and developers). The sometimes silly war and the bashing was certainly a motivation to drop the platform but what I heard more often was the disappointment about the strategy of Hyperion using expensive hardware as base and not changing to cheaper standard hardware. On the other hand it seems that some of the developers left have developed emotional feelings to PPC (something I do not have the impression of most MOS users).

Even if we would only make "love and peace" in future the basic problems of AOS are not solved. Only a real change in strategy could make a difference. Supporting used Macs is no real solution either in my view.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle