Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 138 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 outlawal2:  12 mins ago
 AndreasM:  14 mins ago
 sibbi:  23 mins ago
 saimo:  38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  38 mins ago
 vox:  50 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr ago
 Mr_DBUG:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Pianeta Amiga News
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
spotUP 
Re: Pianeta Amiga News
Posted on 15-Dec-2013 20:21:36
#21 ]
Elite Member

make that 7 really quick.

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Posted on 15-Dec-2013 20:32:15
#22 ]

@spotUP

Don't leave me out! I'll take #8, please.

-- eliyahu

TheDaddy 
Posted on 15-Dec-2013 20:34:30
#23 ]
Elite Member

Lots of photos on Pianeta Amiga's Facebook page.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 15-Dec-2013 20:34:31
#24 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Quick, can anybody register #9? Then I'll take #10.

Hondo 
Posted on 15-Dec-2013 20:43:52
#25 ]

@mordock

Quote:
it was a great event like usual with a lot of incredible releases and announcements!

Would you be kind and share some of those incredible releases and announcements with us ??

Cause so far the only thing I have heard is hardly "incredible"

pjs 
Posted on 15-Dec-2013 21:48:01
#26 ]

Hey guys,

I want the real thing too.

My plastic is ready to go for Amiga laptops #11 and #12.

I want a spare. :)

PJS

eliyahu 
Posted on 15-Dec-2013 22:18:56
#27 ]

@thread

the pianeta amiga organizers have posted some very nice photos on their facebook page for those interested. seems a small get-together, but looks like everyone had a lovely time.

the picture of trevor in the checkered pants is priceless.

-- eliyahu

sundown 
Posted on 15-Dec-2013 23:35:34
#28 ]
Elite Member

#11, I love counting threads....

Rob 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 0:13:33
#29 ]
Elite Member

Looking through the photos on Facebook I saw that they had a more up to date port of the Sam460 MorphOS port which appears to have support for X1xx0 series Radeons including 3D.

guruman 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 2:13:00
#30 ]

Quick report from Pianeta Amiga 2013: I'll take what I have written on MorphZone about MorphOS and will add some more about the rest.

Here we go:

no pics yet from me, but you can find quite a few on Facebook and also somewhere else from other people (like: here ).
About the news:
- MorphOS 3.4 was ready to be released (but you already know!)
- Frank and Mark resumed work on the Sam460 port after almost 1 year of "freeze". They dedicated the last 2 weeks to it. Low level support was rewritten mostly from scratch, as it was too hackish, and now codebase is much better and easier to mantain. Drivers for the Radeon R500 family have been written, "2D acceleration" is done, 3D acceleration and overlay would have required another 24-48 hours of love to be displayed in full glory. Mark was a bit sad they didn't make it, and indeed it would have been a nice showing on the Sam. Basic work has been made on even newer Radeon cards (I think I understood R700), but since there isn't even 2D acceleration it would have been sluggish if showed. The plan, however is to complete the drivers of these 2 families for the release of MorphOS for Sam, that, tentatively, should be 3.6 sometime during 2014. As usual, team wouldn't commit to release dates and acurate promises, so take this with more than the usual pinch of salt. Mark is happy to be able to work with newer gfx cards now that support of up to R300 is mature enough, as this opens for new features.
- In addition to the Sam, Frank brought an iBook G4 running the last release.
- 3.5 is due relatively soon and will be the usual bug-fix release
- JavaScript JIT (the bounty for OWB by Mark) is actively under development but a bit behind schedule and was not shown
- I asked also about OpenGL 2.0 now that we have full support of the R300 and they are working on 3D drivers for the R500 family. This requires kiero to be back on work, he had to stop working on MorphOS in the last months for various real-life reasons, but hopefully he will resume development with the team soonish.
- The plan is to have also Airport wifi supported in the Apple notebooks, sooner or later
- I did fire my PowerBook G4 up and showed mainly Odyssey with YouTube clips, MPlayer with hi-res videos (up to 720p, but also 1080p full-hd to show that it still can't do it at full speed) a few programs and games. I installed 3.4 as the first user in the world, one or 2 hours before the relase on the team's home page, and enjoyed the faster 3D driver immediately - I was trying to show an heavy game like Speed Dreams to the Bitplane magazine editor, after talking about the much slower 3D drivers of AmigaOS 4.1 (Return to Castle Wolfenstein port is done but still unreleased due to it showing 3-4 fps on AmigaOne), and I anticipated it would have been quite slow and sloppy, not due to the port, but because it is really gfx heavy... And it wasn't that bad, with 3.4 installed. Still not perfect, but enjoyable.

About the rest:
- sadly there wasn't any X1000 to play with (apparently a misunderstanding between Trevor and AmigaKit about whom should have brought it?) and the Cyrus motherboard was there in the usual form (real and to be seen, but not inserted in a working display). Revision 2 of Cyrus was present in the form of a picture, apparently there's a PCI and PCI-E slot more. AmigaKit had a table with a wealth of software and hardware on sale, including ACAs, MACE, the new joystick, ...
- Virtual Works/ACube had Loriano's case on display, and an A500 to compare it. There were issues of the Italian magazine Bitplane on sale, and also Amiga Future in English.
- Minimig+ (ACube's file n. 3) was present in the form of a naked board (see pics on Facebook), apparently the delivery of one of the components to mount it is late and will happen this week. The board is working, but debug phase is still ongoing.
- Expect AmigaOS 4.1 update 7 soon. Not sure if before Christmas, or at the beginning of 2014, but release is quite near (some components are required by the OWB 1.16 release that kas1e mentioned in another thread). AmigaOS 4.2 seems to be still quite a long way to go.
- A work in progress version of the JIT engine for E-UAE was shown on AmigaOS 4.1 by Davide "nubechecorre" Palombo. It does work and is indeed faster than before, I think 90% of completion rate was mentioned.
- About the collaboration between ACube and A-Eon and new products for the NG and classics... Let's say that apparently ACube mentioned that they were thinking about a new PPC accelerator for A1200, but it is not known if this is anything more than an idea and if the collaboration "covers" this topic.

I think I deserve some sleep, now. Hopefully you have enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed being at Pianeta Amiga for a few hours. The atmosphere of the (very small, this year) event was very friendly and relaxed in general, so a nice trip altogether. I particularly enjoyed a few chats with Frank and Mark of the MorphOS team, friendly and nice guys as usual, but all the partecipants were very nice to meet. Sadly I did not have much time this year.

Kind regards,
Andrea

Rob 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 2:39:38
#31 ]
Elite Member

@guruman

Thanks for the report. Wonder how Sam460 with a R500 or R700 will compare against a more powerful G4 or G5 system with R200 or R300 hardware.

Overflow 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 3:05:12
#32 ]

I think ive read the specs of the minimig+ somewhere, but seem unable to find it now.

Anyone got a link/copypaste of this info?

Rob 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 4:36:53
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Secondly, ACube Systems lifted the secret about the "MiniMig+", which is as fast as a 68030-processor with 30 MHz. An ARM-chip, 32 MB RAM (can be upgraded up to 64 MB), 8 MB chip-RAM, two USB-ports, network connection, realtime clock, two SD-card readers and 18-Bit-video output are integrated. The FPGA is twice as big as before and thus sufficiently big for an AGA-core. It will be half as large as the Mini-ITX-format. The project will be not finished in near future.

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2013-11-00021-EN.html

g0blin 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 7:08:13
#34 ]
Cult Member

@guruman, Overflow

thanks for sharing these news.

Kind regards
g0blin

@guruman: check PM :)

Cybersphere Page

pavlor 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 8:20:33
#35 ]
Elite Member

@guruman

Thanks for report!

Quote:
I asked also about OpenGL 2.0 now that we have full support of the R300 and they are working on 3D drivers for the R500 family.

Why not use Gallium3D? Radeon HD5000/6000 drivers are now mature enough to be comparable with Catalyst.

Quote:
Let's say that apparently ACube mentioned that they were thinking about a new PPC accelerator for A1200

That would be great!

rzookol 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 9:00:00
#36 ]

@pavlor

Because codebase written for R300 support makes easier to add newer card support (2D and 3D) and as Gallium for OS4 shows - adding alien driver technology to AmigaOs style kernel is not so easy. Secondly, MorphOS drivers are faster than Gallium so Gallium is not optimal for underpowered Sam460 or slow G4 based machines.

pavlor 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 9:16:16
#37 ]
Elite Member

@rzookol

Quote:
Secondly, MorphOS drivers are faster than Gallium so Gallium is not optimal for underpowered Sam460 or slow G4 based machines.

Source for such claim?

cheesegrate 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 10:28:11
#38 ]

@pavlor

It is just common sense, everything on morphos is faster, more compatible and more polished compared to os4. most users know this.

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

Rob 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 12:04:19
#39 ]
Elite Member

@cheesegrate

While there are quite a few things that are faster it not true for everything. With regard to compatibility there are some old apps that work on MorphOS and not OS4 and others that work on OS4 and not MorphOS.

Trixie 
Posted on 16-Dec-2013 12:53:14
#40 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Rob

Don't bother, he's just trying to bait as usual.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle