Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

sibbi

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 sibbi:  1 min ago
 saimo:  15 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  16 mins ago
 vox:  27 mins ago
 kolla:  38 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  39 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  AmiDARK Engine Sources for sale
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmiDARK 
AmiDARK Engine Sources for sale
Posted on 9-May-2014 19:41:53
#1 ]

Hello,

With the last message I've done some times ago announcing that I will stop development on Amiga during a "undefined time/duration" due to financial issues and the need to recenter to my family, I decided to make a complement.

I think it's really sad to see the AmiDARK Engine totally stopped and, I remind some peoples that asked me to "open the source to allow more developers to work on it".

So, here is the oportunity for this now. But, due to my personal situation, I cannot do this for Free.

So, I propose to : Sell the entire AmiDARK Engine sources :
- The full AmiDARK Engine source code ready to be compiled under AmiDEVCpp and under AmigaOS4 CodeBench.
- All the samples with "non copyrighted" materials (that I own the right of use, but not the right to resell them)
- The DarkBASIC Professional source code (and executable) of the tool to convert 3D models (compatibles with DarkBASIC Professional) in the current AmiDARK Engine 3D model file format.
- Concerning the domain www.amidark-engine.com I must check with the host if I can transfer it to another host or separate it from my main account but if I wan't transfer it, I will create special IDs to the owner to get access to the FTP to be able to update the website himself and when the domain will expire, I will not renew it. The new owner will have to buy it or transfer it.

Concerning this sale, it can be handled 2 ways.
1. I Resell everything to 1 person that will buy the sources(or the community will but it for him) and do what he want about it.
2. The community buy the engine with something like a bounty and the source code will then become "open source" so everyone can make it evolve.

The price will be estimated to something around 2000€/2500€.

Regards,
AmiDARK

Profile     Report this post  
amigadave 
Re: AmiDARK Engine Sources for sale
Posted on 9-May-2014 21:36:27
#2 ]

@AmiDARK

I hope that many others in the AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS3.x communities will band together to create a bounty for the amount of 2500 Euros to purchase and set up AmiDARK Engine as an Open Source project, with you remaining as the lead programmer/adviser to the Open Source project.

If I had the financial resources, I would purchase it outright and set up such an Open Source project myself, and request that you remain in control of what gets committed to each new version of the AmiDARK Engine source code, even if you only have enough time to review the code and results of other programmers who are contributing to the project and cannot devote time to do any programming yourself, due to your time commitments to your family and regular job.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 9-May-2014 22:17:57
#3 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Even if some did have money, who has time to work on it, I feel this end up in the conundrum as Demos, everyone like to see new demos, but no one or few has the time to make some new demos.

No doubt has spent many hours working on it and should get payed for it, as I see it programmers are more precious than the code they make.

amigadave 
Posted on 9-May-2014 23:34:42
#4 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

That is the whole advantage of getting the project to go Open Source, so anyone can work on it in what ever free time they have. It will no doubt progress more slowly than a project that has even one full time developer, but at least it won't be abandoned. If it is Open Source, then even if work stops on it for a month or a year, someone can start working on it again some time later.

All of this is assuming that AmiDARK Engine is a tool that other programmers will want to use to create new content, or port existing content to AmigaOS and MorphOS.

g0blin 
Posted on 10-May-2014 8:23:22
#5 ]
Cult Member

@AmiDARK

I agree with AmigaDave. I guess an Open Source project would have better chances to survive in the long run, and having you as supervisor would probably avoid too many forks and "incompatible dialects".

I wish you the best.

Regards
g0blin

Last edited by g0blin on 10-May-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Cybersphere Page

AmiDARK 
Posted on 10-May-2014 8:41:50
#6 ]

@All :
Firstly, thank you for your answers. It reheat my heart.

The main reasons I stoped coding is that all the stress caused by the financial problems we have and, the fact that no "fast" solution were found due to my "electrohypersensibility" makes my brain and my moral unable to concentrate on coding (some sort of depression)

I don't like to have to stop development because I love coding but, I can not do it this time due to reasons explained upper.

Effectively, the AmigaDave idea is interesting.
More interesting is that I've put this price because it may bring us a big "fresh air" without being too high concerning the actual content of the project (that is not yet finished)...

If I manage to lower my stress having a more stable situation (theorically, my wife should restart a new job within the next 3 months and I'll finish my actual "education" for a new kind of job (compatible with my ElectroHyperSensibility) on february 2015)

With my wife restart working, our financial situation should be more balanced (I receive each month small money from the french organism that help us when we lost our job during my new "education", with my wife working it should be ok).

Selling the AmiDARK Engine should help us keeping our boat out of the water during the few time before my wife restart working.

I understand why you say I must keep the "management" of the development and it should be a task that takes "less time" than coding the entire engine.
More to this, if I manage to have more free time and less stress, I hope to continue helping on coding itself.

The idea of a bounty is probably the best but I don't know how it should be setup.

Kindest Regards,
AmiDARK

Mazze 
Posted on 10-May-2014 9:46:14
#7 ]
AROS Core Developer

@AmiDARK

Quote:

The idea of a bounty is probably the best but I don't know how it should be setup.

At http://www.power2people.org/ there were some Bounties for releasing source code for money like this:

http://www.power2people.org/projects/dopus-magellan/

AmiDARK 
Posted on 10-May-2014 11:53:45
#8 ]

@Mazze

What is best ?
power2people.org or amigabounty.net ?

Arko 
Posted on 10-May-2014 13:31:26
#9 ]

@AmiDARK

Quote:

What is best ?
power2people.org or amigabounty.net ?

Amigabounty is restricted to pure AOS4 software bounties.

If you want to have the project open (or bounties from) all camps you should go to power2people.org .

I have nothing found that used the AmiDark engine, so if there are games or demos using it, you should first present some results on Youtube. Most things that where titled AmiDarkEngine had not much to do with games or demos.

Last edited by Arko on 10-May-2014 at 02:51 PM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Templario 
Posted on 10-May-2014 17:58:50
#10 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDARK
If the Amiga users we are ejem how say it, well, yes lia one Masonic lodge instead of one sect... in your case and here I'm willing to contribute money we help you like Amiga brother and you haven't write these words sell your work your passion to help to your family, unfortunately the Amiga users only we are one sect to buy hardware and OS of doubtful functional.
It is very sad that the Amiga users only we are of Amiga users to write in forums to get points and not for your case we try to help you, but perhaps I think such different to one Amiga user more like a mason and for it I have problems with other Amiga users in these forums, I'm not a C programmer to buy your code and currently I am discouraged with the community to make the economic effort to buy your passion but if there are people that make a bounty to buy your source code, I shall collaborate with them although I don't believe in the bounties I saw two examples that I don't speak about them.

Best regards and cheer up!

amigadave 
Posted on 10-May-2014 23:48:15
#11 ]

@AmiDARK

I would also suggest power2people for setting up the bounty, since I believe that it should be set up as Open Source for all Amiga-Like NG systems, instead of being set up through any organization that caters for only one flavor.

There should be a few AmigaOS4.x and/or MorphOS3.x, and/or AROS users, or programmers, who can assist you in getting such a bounty set up on power2people, if you have any trouble setting it up yourself.

Last edited by amigadave on 10-May-2014 at 11:49 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 11-May-2014 7:02:01
#12 ]
Elite Member

somekind of related stuff....

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2128
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2030

Boing the ball game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxuGYm4FHoM I have an idea for the colouring of that game caracter.

(perhaps not related http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Engine )

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

AmiDARK 
Posted on 11-May-2014 8:01:14
#13 ]

@AmigaDave :
In fact, there is no "account registration" or "bounty setup" button on power2people for setting up a bounty.
Apparently, I must contact the owner of the website to setup the bounty.

I will prepare a short but (as) complete (as possible) explanation of the actual state of the AmiDARK Engine in its development.

@All :
What do you think I must put as information in the bounty ?

@Kimmok :
DarkGDK = C/C++ Version of DarkBASIC Professional.
Dark_Engine = Looking Glass 3D Engine for the "Thief" game (I really love this game :) ) so it's not related to AmiDARK Engine nor TheGameCreators products.

Last edited by AmiDARK on 11-May-2014 at 08:36 AM.

AmiDARK 
Posted on 11-May-2014 10:08:47
#14 ]

power2people contacted per e-mail.

EDIT : What kind of licence do you think will best fit the "open source" of AmiDARK Engine ?

Regards,
AmiDARK

Last edited by AmiDARK on 11-May-2014 at 03:49 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 11-May-2014 19:58:26
#15 ]
Elite Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_0PduqOy6g

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

itix 
Posted on 11-May-2014 20:15:05
#16 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDARK

LGPL.

AmiDARK 
Posted on 11-May-2014 22:22:18
#17 ]

@itix
Thank you for this. I will check to see how it work.

@Others :
New video introducing the AmiDARK Engine :
http://youtu.be/p6cu_kpFmPs

amigadave 
Posted on 12-May-2014 1:39:48
#18 ]

@AmiDARK

Happy to see you are going forward with setting up a bounty for this at power2people. Please continue to keep all of us updated on your progress, or ask for additional help if you run into any obstacles.

I hope that this will help you and your family in the very near future.

AmiDARK 
Posted on 20-May-2014 19:59:21
#19 ]

Here is a basis of what I will probably do for the Bounty :

1. I request 2000€ to release the source code of the AmiDARK Engine. I consider this money more like a "kickstarter" to help me financially that will pay "time" to code more on the AmiDARK Engine.
2. The source code will be released under the MPL licence.
3. Requested by members of the Amiga community : I Will continue code on the AmiDARK Engine and be in some sort, at the head on choices concerning the development of the AmiDARK Engine and many things are already in "mind" to increase the performances and take benefit of our Amiga configuration.
4. If the Bounty reach 2500€, I will acquire a configuration for MorphOS and 1 MorphOS Licence.
5. If the bounty reach 5000€, I will acquire a X1000 computer ( priced at 2320€ at relec.ch and AmigaOS4.1 for X1000, and try to make support for X1000 custom chipsets as "additional plugins" using the current AmiDARK Engine plugin system.

Concerning changes mentioned on 3. Some will partially break compatibility with DarkBASIC Professional & DarkGDK from TheGameCreators but, they should increase the engine performances. Some others will be done to increase the engine compatibility with other Amiga OSes (like AROS and Maybe AmigaOS3.x Warp3D/Wazp3D/Mesa)

What do you think about this ?

Last edited by AmiDARK on 20-May-2014 at 08:09 PM.

g0blin 
Posted on 21-May-2014 11:53:57
#20 ]
Cult Member

@AmiDARK

As far as I am concerned, it is a GO!
Well done.

And I'm glad to see you are still on board.

Cheers

Cybersphere Page

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle