Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
53 crawler(s) on-line.
 58 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  17 mins ago
 Hammer:  25 mins ago
 bhabbott:  34 mins ago
 matthey:  38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 gonegahgah:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  super interesting (PPC-Notebook - Acube Collaboration)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: super interesting (PPC-Notebook - Acube Collaboration)
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 18:22:28
#21 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
by pavlor on 8-Feb-2017 17:38:55

@wawa

My current main laptop is 15 years old 486SX with cracked B/W display, such PowerPC laptop - if released - could be nice update.

looks like an amiga with a proper 060 accel would be a nice update to this, not to mention an a600 with vampire. how do you even manage to get it running?

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 18:28:06
#22 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
buy an Alice or start praying

always only buy this and buy that.. ifn fact you could simply buy the current pay for release of amikit, along with that "rabbit hole" (sigh, whatever..) function. it doesnt look as if "alice" would ever be anything else than that, even if it hasnt been supposedly quietly abandoned by now.

pavlor 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 18:29:22
#23 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
how do you even manage to get it running?

Technology created for eternity.

To be fair, last year FDD stopped working (should be trivial repair). I used this laptop mainly for playing old DOS games and writing texts for my thesis which I formated later in MS Word.

wawa 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 18:29:34
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
by Raffaele on 8-Feb-2017 18:17:00

@Thread

Post Scriptum

PowerPC Notebook Team, now PowerProgress will collect funds by Fundraising campaigns so stay tuned and prepare your money if you desire an Open Source PowerPC Laptop being produced.

omg. another rabbit hole opens up. take care..

wawa 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 18:32:39
#25 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
Technology created for eternity

or rather last millenium techs;) like amiga. and i dont even come after replacing the ever breaking power supplies for my now aged surface 1 pro;)

BigD 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 18:33:27
#26 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I thought you were making a Matrix reference with the rabbit hole thing but maybe you rather mean a 'sink hole' for people to throw their money money into? The Alice will double as a standard x86 laptop so I hardly think that is a risky purchase once available

Jose 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 18:47:54
#27 ]
Cult Member

At least T2080 seems to have AltiVec.

José

wawa 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 18:52:16
#28 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

dunno whats "matrix" about it. never watched these films, you must be reffering to, closely enough. but well, if you are fine with just _any_ x86 laptop, you are still better getting one of your choice, without a reseller provision and installing an amiga emu along with amikit yourself. wont be that hard. beyond all else, you can simply go out and do that today. am i right or am i right?

Last edited by wawa on 08-Feb-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Trixie 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 19:38:24
#29 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raffaele

Quote:
Do not expect they will prefer Amiga more than other technology

I absolutely don't expect that. I just find it amusing that they have found a partner whose only tangible hardware-making experience are Amiga-compatible systems, yet the word "Amiga" is carefully avoided in the press release. Talks volumes.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 22:11:34
#30 ]

@Trixie

You're reading to deep into this, It's a Linux oriented project, but if you'd actually look at the forums you know we don't exclude the possibility of other OS' running.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 22:17:54
#31 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I and many others simply can't be bothered to do this on our own as...

a) We prefer 'real' Amigas, PPC Macs etc to mess around with classic Amiga/Morph OS PPC stuff.

b) We don't know what x86 to buy or which is most compatible. Would a x86 Mac work? I'm bored just thinking about the dual booting implications = yawn!!!

c) We just hate configuring x86 hardware for emulation. I'd happily pay someone else to do it who knows what they're doing!

d) AmigaKit always provide good service and support.

Last edited by BigD on 08-Feb-2017 at 10:18 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 22:20:49
#32 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

P.S. You've never watched The Matrix?! Get it streaming now!

Quote: Red pill vs blue pill

Quote:
This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

wawa 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 22:50:08
#33 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

"rabbit hole" refers to lewis carolls classic children book. thats a common sense knowledge, and therefore its been quoted on "matrix", which like most films today consist almost completely from "lent" recombined content extended with an overwhelming load of choreographed violence. if you like it, you might be more impressed by some genuine novels by philip k dick, thats anyway where most of that inspiration comes from. he wrote the man in a high castle as well.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 22:59:02
#34 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Of course I've read Alice in Wonderland and books like I am Legend which I actually prefer to the story of The Matrix. I understand you now; you are saying you don't know where this plan will lead if anywhere. Am I right?

I stick to the view that in 21st century life nothing worth while gets built or green lit without crowd sourcing. Maybe this is the case with Amiga laptops? Maybe the Alice laptop is too 'safe' an option? I don't know but fair play that this group is even daring to try something different in what is a rather boring computer sector right now. Even consoles are dull PCs in disguise updating every 3 years with updated GPUs and more cores Is this all innovation has become? The Cell was a great idea though ultimately financially unsuccessful. Exciting tech, where is it today? Drones, touch bars and self driving cars? Sounds more like the future of Terminator 2 than a world I'd like to live in

Last edited by BigD on 08-Feb-2017 at 11:01 PM.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 0:03:46
#35 ]

@Raffaele

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:

They do not believe in "closed" i.e. proprietary systems so nor AmigaOS neither MorphOS are in their aim. Maybe AROS in its PPC version could be directly supported by them.

"AROS could be supported by them [the PowerPC notebook team]"? Don't you mean the other way around; like "maybe AROS could be supporting them"? This is of great significance, since at some point down the line, it comes to whose blood, sweat and tears to count on for things to actually materialize. Things don't just magically happen, no matter if you "believe only in open source".

Like geit said above, laptop support requires a lot of extra work to develop things like multi finger touchpad support, energy management with cpu throttling, screen light, battery measurement, etc. In other words not just OS porting/driver development, but also additional development of new OS functionality. I believe MorphOS is by far the most mature in this regard, already supporting 13 laptop models in 23 variants natively. Then it becomes more of judt a porting job...

Quote:
do not expect low prices tough. The guys at PPC notebook org believe in sustainability and labour rights so they prefer to manifacture in Europe rather than China.

OMG! Not only will it be underpowered, unproven and probably redundant from start, it will also be very expensive! But it will be holier than anything else, because they believe in "labour rights"? Well, please let me go get my life savings for you...

Quote:
If Hyperion and MorphOS are interested in developing versions of their Amiga Operating Systems (AOS and MOS) they will receive all the help they need.

Who are you to make such promises? And exactly what kind of "help"? Funding its developmemt?

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 0:48:08
#36 ]

@TRIPOS

Quote:

OMG! Not only will it be underpowered, unproven and probably redundant from start, it will also be very expensive! But it will be holier than anything else, because they believe in "labour rights"? Well, please let me go get my life savings for you...

It won't be underpowered, manufacturing in Europe isn't necessarily much more expensive and sorry for us trying to be decent human being that believe in something. You could contribute more to this topic by screaming into the void instead of this childish lambasting.

Raffaele 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 8:30:41
#37 ]

@wawa

But this Rabbit Hole is branded by ACube Manufacturing...

It is not a common anonymous rabbit hole or one dig out by whoever MadHatter Inc. or by DukeNukem LLC!

Think of that as a "commode" (cough, cough!) I intended confortable hobbit hole, instead than a rabbit hole!

Raffaele 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 8:46:59
#38 ]

@TRIPOS

Quote:

TRIPOS wrote:
@Raffaele

[quote]
"AROS could be supported by them [the PowerPC notebook team]"? Don't you mean the other way around; like "maybe AROS could be supporting them"? This is of great significance, since at some point down the line, it comes to whose blood, sweat and tears to count on for things to actually materialize. Things don't just magically happen, no matter if you "believe only in open source".

As usual there are Amigans who overcome meanings and statements...

I just intended that if AROS people will decide to improve their PPC version and made a porting of it on this new laptop, then they will receive a free lexus lane of support as being an open source operating system team.

Quote:

Who are you to make such promises? And exactly what kind of "help"? Funding its developmemt?

People at PowerProgress are the designers, Acube manufacture upon their blueprints, but if Hyperion and MorphOS Team will decide this machine is interesting and worth a porting, then PPC Laptop Project guys will release all design charts, free specs and firmware documentation to our Amiga firms, and sure they will help in making drivers.
As I said previously, they intend to keep Laptop design as much open as possible...
The rest of it just lays in the future intentions and decisions by Hyperion and MorphOS team.

Last edited by Raffaele on 09-Feb-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 9:54:53
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

If you look at the full site, just below the ACube news, there is a Debian section that does mention Amiga and links to AmigaOne.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 14-Apr-2017 18:12:13
#40 ]
Elite Member

@thread

PowerPC Notebook Crowdfunding

http://www.powerpc-notebook.org/category/novita/

if crowfunding will succeed Acube will go on with the Hardware project

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle