Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 168 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 amigasociety:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 11 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 39 mins ago
 Matt3k:  4 hrs 54 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 5 mins ago
 RobertB:  6 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Limits of FPGA
Register To Post

PosterThread
g01df1sh 
Limits of FPGA
Posted on 29-May-2018 11:51:18
#1 ]

Hi

What is the speed limit of V4 Vampire what kind of MHz would it max out at. Is there faster FPGA out there that could be used in the future ??

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Profile     Report this post  
IanP 
Re: Limits of FPGA
Posted on 29-May-2018 13:11:29
#2 ]

@g01df1sh
The Cyclone 3 used on the V2 has been clocked from ~70MHz to upto about 107MHz on some boards but not all. The Cyclone 5 may be able to clock in a slightly higher range but not much, maybe up to ~120MHz IIRC. The C5 will have other advantages such as larger caches and full FPU with full SAGA.

Yes there are faster FPGAs but the price rises exponentially for the faster chips.

billt 
Posted on 29-May-2018 14:07:21
#3 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

And a larger capacity of the same FPGA fmaily might also allow more speed. You can make certain tradeoffs, such as performance vs area. If the design is kindof a tight fit, then it may be making choices to fit into a smaller chip, which works somewhat against speed. More room could allow to relax that fitment goal, and allow the design to spread out and take up more space in a somewhat higher-performing result. I don' tknow if that might or might not be a current restriction, but as more features are added in (FPU for example), then it could come into play at some point.

kamelito 
Posted on 29-May-2018 20:07:09
#4 ]
Cult Member

Once their core is final they should do a kickstarter to build ASICS.

retro 
Posted on 30-May-2018 10:24:44
#5 ]

@kamelit0

Hmm is og posible to make a pair with an raspberry pi to do some of the emulation so the fpga can concentrate on saga and cpu stuff

Last edited by retro on 30-May-2018 at 10:26 AM.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 30-May-2018 18:41:03
#6 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

retro wrote:

Hmm is og posible to make a pair with an raspberry pi to do some of the emulation so the fpga can concentrate on saga and cpu stuff

This is called MiSTer

-------

- Altera Cyclone V SE FPGA bigger than any other existing FPGA Clone
- ARM Cortex A9 dual-core CPU at 800MHz.
- HDMI video and audio allowing connect to any modern monitor/TV.
- DDR3 1GB available for both ARM and FPGA.
- High speed ARMFPGA interconnect due to both are in the same chip.
- Linux on ARM provides support for many I/O devices and file systems.
- Board is mass and freely available for 130USD (99USD for students/professors).
- Supporting Minimig AGA/ECS core, emulating a CPU with the speed of 40MHz 68030- Supporting
- many other FPGA Clones.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

The ARM is not used for hardware Emulation, but for fast File I/O and other things.

Last edited by OneTimer1 on 30-May-2018 at 06:43 PM.

kamelito 
Posted on 30-May-2018 19:10:01
#7 ]
Cult Member

@retro

I think that is what Mike of FPGAArcade wanna do, do the CPU using an ARM.

billt 
Posted on 30-May-2018 19:13:51
#8 ]
Elite Member

@retro

What do you see Rpi doing in software better than can be done in hardware?

One issue I have seen with Rpi is how to connect it in a worthwhile way... Have that part of your computer going over USB, does that make sense? Have that part of your computer going over ethernet, does that make sense? Rpi does not have PCI or PCIe type of connection available... Do I want to connect my CPU to my GPU over SPI bus? Probably not... Can I connect a keyboard to Rpi by USB and then get to tht from FPGA over SPI or USB, that would probably be OK...

It really depends on what you want to get from the Rpi, if this idea makes sense or not.

billt 
Posted on 30-May-2018 19:22:15
#9 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

I was under the impression that the MiSTer did 68k in a softcore implementation within the FPGA, not as an ARM software emulation. (I could be wrong, bu thad not before realized the ARM being in this thing. I don't have one myself yet...) Some FPGAs, like Xilingx Zynq or Altera SoC parts, do have ARM processors and peripherals inside, but that does not mean they are actually in use by a particular retro-computer implemented/loaded into it. Those ARM processors and other pieces could simply be sitting there completely idle, or potentially even disabled and turned off for power savings.

Now, they could make use of the ARM stuff for the power-on system menu, choosin gwhich retro-computer to load into the FPGA to run. I'm not familiar with how they do that part of this sort of thing.

I myself have taken to a personal preference of anything like one of htese retro systems, accelerators, etc. should go with an FPGA including a hardwired ARM in it, for any beneficial offloading, ARM-native porting, "PowerUP"-alike, and taking advantage of any peripherals (USB, DDR controller, SATA, GPU, whatever might be in there) for Amiga-native driver coding and direct usage instead of making a softcore equivalent. (ie. Use some hardwires Mali GPU instead of making a softcore PicassoIV or Voodoo3 clone, as much fun as those could be)

kolla 
Posted on 30-May-2018 19:22:46
#10 ]
Elite Member

There are quite a few boards around that combine FPGA with ARM, in addition to the DE-10 nano that is the basis of the MiSTer, as well as a good handful of FPGA boards to fit onto a Raspberry Pi. I am quite confident that the future will only bring more boards, with improved performance and capabilities.

kolla 
Posted on 30-May-2018 19:39:42
#11 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Yes, there are sort of two routes here...
* software emulator that offloads to the FPGA - UAE with FPGA enhancements.
* softcore implementation that use software emulation of CPU - Minimig with software emulated CPU.

I suspect the latter is a lot easier to accomplish.

You are correct in regards to what the ARM is used for on the MiSTer - it boots Linux and runs the MiSTer software which "emulates" the firmware of the MiST (well, that is more or less how it started out, but it has evolved quite a bit from that), to drive the menus, file I/O for disk images etc. It currently also acts as "endpoint" for the serial device of the Minimig core, so if you fire up Term (or NComm, VLTjr...) you get a login prompt for the Linux side, or you can use the menu and select that you want to use the serial port for Internet connectivity and it will load a PPP server on it, so you can connect with Roadshow, Miami or AmiTCP etc.

However, I know that the maintainer is eager to get a move on the Hybrid emulation/FPGA thing, it has been discussed quite a bit and was one of the scoring points for this system initially. It just takes time and quite a bit of research and engineering to pull it off, and some good cooperation with other projects who try accomplish something very similar would certainly be very nice.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 30-May-2018 19:47:34
#12 ]
Cult Member

@billt

Quote:

billt wrote:
@OneTimer1

I was under the impression that the MiSTer did 68k in a softcore implementation within the FPGA, not as an ARM software emulation.

Correct!

Thats Why I wrote:
The ARM is not used for hardware Emulation, but for fast File I/O and other things.

But a Raspi might be as fast as MiSTer and cheaper.

kolla 
Posted on 30-May-2018 20:15:26
#13 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

Quote:

But a Raspi might be as fast as MiSTer and cheaper.

It's not the ARM CPU that is carrying the vast cost of the MiSTer, once you want to attach an FPGA to the Pi, the price goes up as well :)

OneTimer1 
Posted on 30-May-2018 21:40:53
#14 ]
Cult Member

@kolla

Quote:

It's not the ARM CPU that is carrying the vast cost of the MiSTer, once you want to attach an FPGA to the Pi, the price goes up as well :)

Correct!

- FPGAs are expensive
- FPGAs needs a lot of power (not for mobile)
- FPGAs have less gates than modern CPUs

If you can do your task with a MCU, don't use a FPGA. An Amiga emulated on a Raspi will always be cheaper and faster than a FPGA needed for the full hardware emulation of an Amiga.

Somehow I like the idea of 'real hardware' and Freescale has dumped the 68k so we can't have 68k CPUs for less than 20€ with the performance of a 400MHz 68060 ...

There is nothing like a modern 68k so all of us who wants 'real hardware' should look for an FPGA solution.

kolla 
Posted on 30-May-2018 22:55:49
#15 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

The CPU emulation is not what makes UAE crawl :)

retro 
Posted on 31-May-2018 5:54:27
#16 ]

@billt

What do you see Rpi doing in software better than can be done in hardware?

i my idear is to make a cheap "amiga part" emulation of the hardwere with a little requering and then use the v4 board for the powerfull thing like FPU,SAGA,and apollo cpu core and then get more power were you want it.

retro 
Posted on 31-May-2018 6:06:00
#17 ]

@retro

but is it likely that the vampire team would do an combi betwin
MiSTer and vampire v4 ?

AdvancedFollower 
Posted on 31-May-2018 8:48:38
#18 ]

JIT software emulation is already much faster than FPGA, so if you want the best performance, you'd simply offload everything to the CPU (ie. not use an FPGA at all). Even my Pi 3B+ gets about 210 MIPS, Vampire is ~100 I believe. WinUAE on my desktop system is in the range of thousands of MIPS.

It's mainly an ideological/dogmatic thing IMO. FPGA is more "pure" to some than software emulation. Those who can't accept replacing their Amiga with emulation might still be willing to consider FPGA.

I use both my MiST and 3B+ for Amiga stuff. What I actually like about the MiST is that the performance and capabilities "feel" like my slightly expanded '030 A1200 from ~1995. Sure you can turn off JIT on the Pi for similar performance, but that introduces other problems like stuttering and so on.

kolla 
Posted on 31-May-2018 12:16:34
#19 ]
Elite Member

@retro

Quote:
but is it likely that the vampire team would do an combi betwin
MiSTer and vampire v4 ?

What is the difference between a MiSTer and a Vampire V4 standalone?

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle