Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 147 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

pavlor,  OlafS25,  Matt3k

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  37 secs ago
 pavlor:  1 min ago
 Matt3k:  4 mins ago
 pixie:  26 mins ago
 zipper:  26 mins ago
 Hypex:  40 mins ago
 jPV:  43 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 hannana:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  A1200 re-cap issues
Register To Post

PosterThread
Punkyclown 
A1200 re-cap issues
Posted on 10-Sep-2018 23:37:19
#1 ]

Hi All, not sure if I have ever even posted here but have been a member for
a long time. Usually take my issue to Amiga.org, but they changed their password
policy and since I joined so long ago they do not have my correct email (my bad).

Okay so I sent my A1200 mother board off to the UK for re-caping (I live in San Diego
Ca.) I got it back a few months ago but was busy working on other projects and
only now opened it up and tried to get my A1200 back on the road, so to speak. So
what I noticed after I could not get any floppy to load, we are talking about a complete
stock A1200 now (all my goodies were in my other unit, which I sold.) I noticed
that one of the posts on the floppy connector was missing. Since I had a external
floppy drive I connected it and loaded 3.1 that way. And even though I had the internal
drive connected what I got from my system was DF0:???. So I figured it must be
the missing post which caused the issue. So now what, does someone know if this
is correctable or do I need to replace the complete connector? Second issue is
my SD card connectors (I have two, one brand new in the bag) aren't working.
Could be the cable but I only have one of those. Is there some jumper or switch I
need to set in order for the system to recognize it? Was really looking forward to
running my A1200 since I spent most of last year running Amibian on a Raspberry
Pi, lots of fun, but not the same experience.
Any appreciable help I could get on this would be wonderful, thanks in Advance
Brad Hansen

Profile     Report this post  
A1200 
Re: A1200 re-cap issues
Posted on 11-Sep-2018 17:55:00
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Punkyclown

Hi Brad, you have posted on here about 45 times ;)

OK so when you say posts do you mean pins? Most of the time the cable has been connected the wrong way around, if you flip the connector on the floppy or motherboard side (whichever bends better), likely the drive will work - make sure the power connector is also secure and aligned (obviously don't ever attempt to turn this one the other way around).

If you are talking about an SD to IDE adapter you need to partition the drive using HDtoolbox, then you can format the partitions. Make sure when creating the partitions you go to advanced and use a maxtransfer rate of 0x1fe00 - if you leave it as default SSD/CF/SD drives tend to cause issues. TIP: when you have typed 0x1fe00 into the maxtransfer field PRESS ENTER/RETURN. If you just click OK it does not retain the new value.

Hope this helps...

scuzz 
Posted on 11-Sep-2018 19:31:00
#3 ]

@Punkyclown

If you take a look at the front slot of the drive and take a peek to the left you will see two small plastic pins. They can be either north south or east west. Get a small flat head screwdriver and push them in a few times. They can get stuck.

Pressing them with the power on should activate the disk drive. See what happens. Get a disk head cleaner off Ebay.

The ribbon pins have a missing hole if you notice. Also the drive will have a slot that corresponds with the connector. Missing pin shown in this image. [ normal ]. Should really only go the one way.

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuzzblog_july18_10/car_sbd_050718_62.jpg

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuzzblog_september18/scuzzblogdseptember18_0401.htm

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuzzblog_july18/scuzzblogdjuly18_0502.htm

Until you run the install disk and HDToolBox you will not see the cards/drives. No idea how the cards work but if similar to a hard drive then simply read the drive and partition and then either quick format or normal depending on the advice for the card and when you reboot you should have the drives visible. Then install using the install disk. Always boot off the install disk.

Note that only the one drive for Workbench should be bootable and I generally keep that drive under 1GB. Once I have successfully installed the Workbench I copy the whole thing to my other partition.

When setting the MaxTransfer to 0x1EF00 remember to make the change you need to hit the RETURN key. You need to check the drive instructions really. To access the Advanced Options for Max Transfer click Change from Advanced Options and enter the figure. Press RETURN to make the change.

scuzz

PR 
Posted on 11-Sep-2018 21:13:54
#4 ]

Good if capped. I would put and connect all cables too properly and after earthing press any kickstart etc in the mb gently. DD is easy to clean with alcohol (not beer;) and this womans white make up stick. Reading two stripes.

Also the power needs to be good. A500 or a pc conversion. Just my two millimetres..

Punkyclown 
Posted on 12-Sep-2018 2:53:54
#5 ]

Hey Guys, Thanks so much, big help. The issue with SD Card is HDToolBox can not
see he drive. When I open the app the window is blank and gives me no options.
Brad Hansen

scuzz 
Posted on 13-Sep-2018 0:47:05
#6 ]

@Punkyclown

Sadly I have no idea how CF cards work. I only use 2.5" drives. If you get hold of an old fashioned hard drive you could hear of the unit was getting power.

Whenever I have had that issue with a hard drive it normally means its busted beyond repair. But that is a mechanical device not a flash memory or what ever. I have fitted cheap laptop drives to my 1200s. Done this four times in the last few months and they only cost me a fiver each and were actually new 40GB drives. I run the risk of the drives falling over cus the Amiga only sees 4GB but I think what the hell its only a fiver. So far all four have been running just fine and I have an Apollo 060 on the one.

Just that I like hearing the Amiga actually working. Sounds odd but I can normally tell if the computer is working properly from the noises I get from the hard drive. If you could at least hear the drive working it would suggest the unit was getting power.

Have you tried discussing this with whoever recapped the computer.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle