Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 74 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 vox:  8 mins ago
 Hypex:  23 mins ago
 AndreasM:  32 mins ago
 pixie:  40 mins ago
 outlawal2:  42 mins ago
 Allanon:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Not even scammers want to support amigaos
Register To Post

PosterThread
OlafS25 
Not even scammers want to support amigaos
Posted on 4-Nov-2022 8:21:19
#1 ]
Elite Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvSRFGCJqY

something to laugh

Profile     Report this post  
matthey 
Re: Not even scammers want to support amigaos
Posted on 4-Nov-2022 15:57:31
#2 ]

OlafS25 Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvSRFGCJqY

something to laugh

Too funny! "I have AmigaOS." Amiga security through obscurity.

Those scammers must call all over the world. I don't know how many times I have been called by Amazon and Microsoft tech support. I pranked the Microsoft tech support myself once. He said my Windows was having problems and sending out bug reports so I asked him what version I had and he guessed wrong. I laughed at him so hard that it pissed him off and he immediately called me back after I called him a parasite scammer and hung up. The scammers are bold as law enforcement doesn't seem to think its important enough crime to shut them down which is sad. I can't imagine they are successful in more than 1 in 100,000 calls anymore and I would expect there are more prankers than victims.

pavlor 
Posted on 4-Nov-2022 16:51:23
#3 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
something to laugh

Yeah!

Karlos 
Posted on 4-Nov-2022 22:01:16
#4 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

Damn this was funny.

agami 
Posted on 5-Nov-2022 3:44:36
#5 ]

@Scammers

I used to watch videos on YouTube where ethical hackers take down these scammers. Most of the time just hacking the caller's system and deleting essential files, and a few times taking down their operation with assistance from local enforcement agencies in India.

Ah, sweet comeuppance.

But seriously, in 2019 an older friend of mine got fleeced for $5,000 AUD in Google Play cards, because they had convincing enough info about his small business and claimed to be ATO. He's in his early 60s, a.k.a in the middle of the vulnerability bell curve.

Karlos 
Posted on 5-Nov-2022 10:34:34
#6 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@agami

Speech GAN pose a new threat. People have been tricked by calls imitating the voice of their boss or other associates.

bhabbott 
Posted on 6-Nov-2022 3:41:03
#7 ]

About a year ago a scammer from 'Microsoft' called to inform me that my PC was compromised. I was using my A1200 at the time so I decided to play along. I told him that my computer didn't have a 'start' button, and that it was an Amiga not a PC. He put me on hold and came back a little while later to tell me that yes he understood, I had old computer from the 90's that was good for playing games (I guess he googled it).

That didn't stop him though. He then gave me a url to download the backdoor program from manually. I started that and told him it might take a while to download the 12MB file, knowing that the x86 executable couldn't possibly damage my Amiga. After a few minutes I hung up on him because I wanted to go out shopping. He rang back! By this time the file was downloaded so I 'tried' to run it as per his instructions, knowing it wouldn't work.

Even that didn't phase him though. He had me on the hook and wasn't about to let go. He discussed the problem with his mates for few minutes, then told me that I had to buy an Apple iTunes card. I have no idea how that scam would work, and didn't find out because by this time we had being talking for over an hour and I really needed to go out. So I hung up on him again and left. He probably still thinks he almost caught a live one!

This isn't 'security by obscurity', it's security by incompatibility! Turns out one of the Amiga's 'flaws' is actually useful! Some may say that's just as bad, but ultimately it's how all security systems work. The Amiga is like a big old lock that you can't pick because your modern tools are too sophisticated. And if you do manage to force it open somehow, you open the door to discover a dusty room full of worthless old junk.

bhabbott 
Posted on 6-Nov-2022 3:47:55
#8 ]

@agami

Quote:

agami wrote:

But seriously, in 2019 an older friend of mine got fleeced for $5,000 AUD in Google Play cards, because they had convincing enough info about his small business and claimed to be ATO. He's in his early 60s, a.k.a in the middle of the vulnerability bell curve.

I don't think age itself has anything to do with it. I'm 65 and more paranoid than ever! More a lack of knowledge about how the internet works and being too trusting. Business people often get scammed because business is all about trust.

Last edited by bhabbott on 06-Nov-2022 at 08:56 AM.

agami 
Posted on 7-Nov-2022 2:18:03
#9 ]

@bhabbott

Quote:
I don't think age itself has anything to do with it. I'm 65 and more paranoid than ever! More a lack of knowledge about how the internet works and being too trusting. Business people often get scammed because business is all about trust.

Of course there are multiple factors that come together to quantify and qualify vulnerability groups.

Being in his 60s is not the sole factor but rather a prominent factor that these scammers exploit. These scammers know the stats regarding ratio of computer knowledge as correlates to age, and statistically score the most from older marks.

You at 65, and even myself at 51, are exceptions to the rule. I happen to work in the field, but many of my contemporaries in other fields know very little about computers.

The scammers also exerted temporal pressure, thus never giving him the time to "phone a friend".

Last edited by agami on 07-Nov-2022 at 02:19 AM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle