posted by wegster on 23-Mar-2008 20:10:50 (2401 reads)
From the Frying Pan mailing list, and with permission of Tomek, the author of FP and the mail: (slight edits for clarity - wegster)
I just wanted to let you know that the main interface and supporting libraries are now available as open source at: Frying Pan on Sourceforge
To answer your questions -- no, it does not mean it's going out for free. The main engine ('Optical') is still closed source and will stay shareware. Reasons why i did that:
1. I released a tiny pack of C++ support libraries that may be helpful for people writing amiga software - these are available at amiga-generic.sourceforge.net -- and Frying Pan and its libraries are the best way to show how these can be used
2. The engine for Frying Pan may be closed-source, but its use could one day become a little more popular (grow beyond fryingpan). will see if anyone likes the idea. includes are available on the amiga-generic repository
3. If i get a little lucky -- maybe someone will drop into the development, or maybe someone will build the reaction ui for fryingpan (i had a few good components for that but eventually i gave up when i had to start with popups)
4. FP uses quite few components that others have asked me about (like MUI cycle gadgets that are rebuilt on the fly) - it's all there
5. Maybe someone will learn from the sources, or maybe someone will think how much it sucks and that he could give me some good piece of advice on coding
Take care! Tomek.
note added by wegster - Tomek may be reached directly via email , at: tomasz DOT wiszkowski AT gmail DOT com
Joined: 22-Jun-2004 Posts: 3478
From: Palencia city of the emptied Spain.
It`s great the possiblity of we can learn to programming Amiga software withthe base of this great program. Greets. But the url donít works, why?
_________________ Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram. WinUAE + original OS 3.5&3.9 Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E. Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 F.E. MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.13 PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.13
Re: Frying Pan Partially Open Sourced Posted on 23-Mar-2008 21:08:43