Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 45 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  13 mins ago
 zipper:  37 mins ago
 OlafS25:  40 mins ago
 Gunnar:  53 mins ago
 t0lkien:  54 mins ago
 Lou:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 K-L:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 danwood:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Audio is STILL crashing OS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
PosterThread
amipal 
Re: Audio is STILL crashing OS4
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 23:43:00
#201 ]

@Steff
Quote:
Luck!

Thanks! I needed it, I can tell you...

I managed to get the new cooler on, but then the bloody machine wouldn't boot - no screen displayed at all! As panic set in, I began to blame myself - "Why did ya do it Paul? That Bzzzz wasn't THAT annoying, and now you've gone and killed your AmigaOne. Go drown yourself in the shower." So off I went for a quick clean, then came back to the unbooting AmigaOne.
Frustration set in, so, figuring I'd really buggered it this time, pushed down firmly on the CPU card. THUNK. It clicked into place like it is supposed to, and which obviously I hadn't done properly when reattaching the CPU card. And thus life sprang back into the green motherboard, and amipal was happy.

Ahem. Anywho, on with some testing then!

Last edited by amipal on 22-Jun-2005 at 11:44 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
FuZion 
Posted on 22-Jun-2005 23:47:27
#202 ]

@amipal

Hehe... That post did make me smile

Good luck mate.

FuZion.

amipal 
Posted on 23-Jun-2005 0:03:46
#203 ]

@FuZion

Cheers!

While digging around, I discovered that my CPU is a Motorola XPC7455RX933PC.
I'd previously had my VCore set to 1.59 volts, when in actual fact it should have been set to 1.84! So I've changed the VCore to this setting now (0 1 0 1 on the CPU card).

Before ripping my AmigaOne asunder, I ran memtester, and got "ok" on every test. Just to make sure, I ran this three times, yet still all "ok". I've attached a DIMM heatsink to my memory now as well, just in case...

PS. Freescale link for G4 CPUs:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/orderablepart_parametrics.jsp?code=MPC7455&nodeId=0162468rH3bTdG8653&catId=M98653&BREADCUM=PowerPC Processors > MPC7XXX, MPC7XX and MPC6XX Host Processors > MPC7455

whose 
Posted on 23-Jun-2005 1:31:08
#204 ]
Cult Member

@amipal

I understand you... it´s a minor problem but it itches a lot. One wishes to know the cause of the freeze as it´s not obviously...

@all:

Does anyone of you have bootup locks sometimes? Workbench screen visible and title message saying that AmiDock is loading? I ask as I´ve seen a lot more of them since update 3.

Maybe this can lead to the cause of the audio/net freeze problem? I´ve seen a lot of this freezes when any of the programs mentioned by me acesses hard disk, just like WBStartup...

Greetz

FuZion 
Posted on 23-Jun-2005 7:33:45
#205 ]

@whose

I've not had a lockup upon boot up yet. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

FuZion.

Last edited by FuZion on 23-Jun-2005 at 07:33 AM.

ssolie 
Posted on 23-Jun-2005 16:25:51
#206 ]
Elite Member

@whose
Quote:
Does anyone of you have bootup locks sometimes? Workbench screen visible and title message saying that AmiDock is loading? I ask as I´ve seen a lot more of them since update 3.

AmiDock used to be a lot of trouble for me. I fixed it by deleting the settings file and reworking my docks from scratch. I still don't trust AmiDock so remove it from your WBStartup and see if things improve or not.

hotrod 
Posted on 23-Jun-2005 16:30:23
#207 ]
Elite Member

@amipal

Small question... You didn't change the jumpers on the CPU card to 0 1 0 1, right? You set the MHz for the CPU on the CPU card and the VCore settings on the jumpers close to the PSU cable.

amipal 
Posted on 23-Jun-2005 16:34:16
#208 ]

@hotrod

Erm... I set the CPU Card ones... Hmm, I wonder what I'm running at then?
Time for the side of the case to come off. Again.

Now Bzzzzz as yet though!

hotrod 
Posted on 23-Jun-2005 16:53:32
#209 ]
Elite Member

@amipal

You can see CPU info in uboot. One of the alternatives down the list (third or second or so...) . Don't remember the name but I'm sure you can figure it out .

You don't want to have it runing at slower speed than necesary, do you?

Besides, I accidently had it runing at 533MHz without noticing it at first but when I ran Quake II I noticed the speed difference. Must have read it wrong or something .

amipal 
Posted on 23-Jun-2005 19:12:38
#210 ]

@hotrod

Yes, mine was set to 533 Mhz too! The thing is, AmigaOS didn't seem any slower.

I've done some testing now that my system has been set back to 800 Mhz. I had the following programs running:
- AmigaAMP, playing random tracks from my MP3 collection
- MPlayer playing Family Guy episodes one after the other
- Wet, getting weather update every fifteen minutes

This had been playing along nice and stable for 1hr 30 mins. As soon as I clicked the IBrowse icon in a sub-dock from AmiDock... Bzzzzzzzzzzzz. This lasted for a couple of seconds, then the music continued to play normally. There was no Grim Reaper. However, my mouse was now completely locked, unable to move from either the mouse or keyboard. The vulcan death grip still worked to reset.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 23-Jun-2005 22:10:08
#211 ]
Elite Member

I tried Bean's "remove a1ide.device completely" idea to try and cure my USB keyboard driver crashing issues. It seemed to help, and then I thought I'd stress test it some more and streamed some audio off the net using AmigaAmp at the same time. The keyboard driver crashed as quickly as it did previously.

Looks like there is another IDE/USB/Ethernet/PCI interaction issue. Does anybody with a fixed XE board or a MicroA1 have these problems?

Chris

whose 
Posted on 23-Jun-2005 23:05:45
#212 ]
Cult Member

@Chris_Y

No, I haven´t these problems with my µA1. Instead, I have it up and running for eleven hours now! What I did? I changed from AmigaAMP to Amplifier. That simple!

Odd, Amplifier refused to run before update 3 and AmigaAMP works flawlessy. Now vice versa (in a wider meaning).

I am more and more convinced that this is a pure software problem regarding the interaction between 68K emulation and WarpOS-Wrapper, very similar to the problems I had with my A4000PPC in the years before µA1. 68K decoding runs fine everytime, WOS decoding leaded to freeze.

More odd: A4000 runs stable since I changed all partitions back to FFS. Dunno why

I would think there is more research needed, regarding the message handling between 68K and WarpOS, as this part is heavily stressed when using AmigaAMP or any other Software which uses 68K driven "heavy load" graphics (as AWeb plugins do for example!) tied with WOS code. A sign of this is the "not freed signal" message of the WOS driven mp3 decoder of AmigaAMP ("external") when quitting. Why isn´t it freed? Why does mouse freeze and decoding and playing runs sometimes? I don´t think that this is due to a hardware issue.

I will try to let my µA1 run during the night, playing mp3 and doing some downloads all the time.

We will see if it still runs tomorrow.

Greetz

FuZion 
Posted on 24-Jun-2005 8:01:52
#213 ]

@whose

In my experiences with this I would rule out any Warp errorrs since I've been experiencing this crash from the very first OS4 install, we've only had Warp3D since the latest Update.

(I've been a little quiet the last few days because I've had some work to do).

FuZion.

whose 
Posted on 24-Jun-2005 9:25:36
#214 ]
Cult Member

@FuZion

Hm, well, I´ve overseen that

But in my case it works now, the µA1 is still playing, 22 hours now. So I would think that the µA1 freezes result from the problems I´ve suspected as no WOS is used now.

Sry that my success is no help for your problems. But I hope the solution will be found. I think it´s time to use drivers with debug ouput to see if any race conditions (as I suspect) happen within the drivers for SE/XE. It´s strange that the symptoms are well known to me, even if I don´t use SE/XE and I know them long time before...

Anybody tested it using PPC programs only? Without any 68K parts involved?

Greetings

Bean 
Posted on 24-Jun-2005 23:27:27
#215 ]

@Bean

I don't know what cured the problem, but after setting my VCore DOWN to 1.64 (closer to what it should be for a 7450 apparently), removing some WB Startup items (3rd Party apps), re-seating my Audio card (and moving it down a slot), clearing off the clock docky (one that comes with OS4), and after re-attaching the CPU fan I haven't been able to crash the system in 3 seperate stress tests now.

So far the system has managed to ftp 3 RedHat ISO images, while streaming music, along with general use (IBrowse, text editors etc)..

This has been repeated 3 times over.. so I'm fairly convinced the problem has been solved on my system (before it would have crashed as I could never get as far as a 3rd ISO image, let alone a total of 9 copies).

I hope the suggestions found in this (now rather long) thread help others.

Cheers people,
Bean.

FuZion 
Posted on 25-Jun-2005 8:14:01
#216 ]

@Bean

That reminds me, thanks. The only thing I haven't got round to doing is switching the sound card to another slot. I'll do that over the weekend & re-test all ov my previous scenarios.

FuZion.

Daz 
Posted on 25-Jun-2005 20:43:04
#217 ]

@FuZion

>That reminds me, thanks. The only thing I haven't got round to doing is
>switching the sound card to another slot. I'll do that over the weekend & re
>test all ov my previous scenarios.

I went one stage further and switched my SB Live for my first sound card - a CMI 8738. This got moved out of the A1 when I needed to fix a PC, and was replaced with the SB. OS4 has always used this ('till now)

Not done a lot of testing yet, but I did manage >9 mins running Q2 online with sound. I tried to test on AW's Q2 server, but it kept kicking me off, ping to high! With the sound blaster live network play would ALWAYS casue a hang if sound was on - sometimes before the level had loaded, sometimes after a few minutes. Not had a single one with the CMI. I'll do some more testing to be sure though.

Also my machine is an A1G3SE - and I haven't touched the vcore.

That's been to good part of this week, the bad was my Radeon VE dying on thursday night, followed by my SCSI card today.

Bye.
Darren

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-Jun-2005 21:40:32
# ]

@Bean

Quote:
re-seating my Audio card (and moving it down a slot)

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH....

Bean, i LOVE you, come here

Have a big from me, my audio is working again, moving the card one slot
up fixes all issues i had with it before (AmigaAmp is still crashing sometimes!)

Now listening to the MARVELLOUS TuneNet again, awww

mate

Report this post  
amipal 
Posted on 26-Jun-2005 13:28:28
#219 ]

@Bean

So is the CPU docky at fault here? Interesting that it only seems to crash the system on the interaction between internet use and MP3 decoding.

I'll try removing it myself to see if it has the desired effect on my system. Hopefully progress has been made here people!

FuZion 
Posted on 26-Jun-2005 14:54:08
#220 ]

@amipal

I have suspected the Clock Docky on occasions too. With the original Pre release installation I would sometimes get a Reaper from ClockDock.

One of my recent tests suggests otherwise though as I have had the crash without AmiDock running (The test with no WBStartup or user-startup running).

Hope you have more joy than me on that one.

FuZion.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle