Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 44 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  9 mins ago
 Matt3k:  26 mins ago
 danwood:  37 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 Gunnar:  4 hrs ago
 t0lkien:  4 hrs 1 min ago
 Lou:  4 hrs 51 mins ago
 K-L:  4 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  Do You Remember why?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
DoodooHead 
Re: Do You Remember why?
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 15:07:24
#141 ]
Cult Member

@Mikey_C

If they were discussing their OS or Apps or Hardware difficulties and helping one another like OS4 users, there would be no problem. But, they remind me of a Mac user I know. He sees me playing the latest video games on my PC and whines about not being able to play on his Mac. I tell him if he wanted to play PC games he should have bought a PC. Here we have people with Pegs complaining that their Pegs don't run OS4.

Profile     Report this post  
ronaldst 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 15:12:11
#142 ]

@Jerryuk007

I'd prefer that AW.net makes moderators only last 1 year. Some of the mods on this site have really disgusting behaviours and IMO it only tarnishes this site further. Also ban a few members like the "acid trippers" I laughed at when reading at the AmigaToo thread. You guys give fanatism a bad name.

I find it's amazing how people will avoid reality just to fight over table scraps like the dying PPC desktop, heavily broken PPC mobos, crooked reps, etc...

Why am I thinking politics?

All beer tastes bad.

hatschi 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 15:12:37
#143 ]
Elite Member

@DoodooHead

Quote:
If they were discussing their OS or Apps or Hardware difficulties and helping one another like OS4 users, there would be no problem.

So what problems do you have with the recent threads about the OS4 hardware difficulties then?
What was discussed there was if or how the open design from bbrv could potentially help in the current situation with OS4 having no new hardware to run on.
Please tell me, where do you see the problem?

madtrekker 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 15:16:32
#144 ]

@Mikey_C

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I wanted to provide my immediate response to your question(s).

I came (back) to the Amiga party pretty late in the day. When I started lurking on various Amiga forums to catch up the not-so-civil war was well into swing and Red/Blue supporters were merrily taking pot shots at one another.

Despite the fact that the events that were happening were about the most promising things to happen to Amiga since Commodore went *splat* the 'community' was tearing itself and existing forums were becoming very unpleasant as discussion about virtually any topic turned into a flamewar.

When I first discovered AmigaWorld it was (comparatively, at least) an oasis of tranquility. I was able to read about stuff I was interested in without having to wade through dozens of useless posts between useful or interesting ones. For the first time the signal to noise ratio on an Amiga forum became sensible.

Now I appreciate that this came at the price of a high level of moderation, which was criticised by many of those who found themselves moderated, but from my perspective it was a much more pleasant experience, so it was a price worth paying.

All that said, things are different in the Amiga world these days (that's the real one, not this website!). Things seem to have calmed down a bit and more people seem to be prepared to be reasonable and open-minded. As some have noted, there have been threads which have strayed onto previously dangerous ground which have remained largely civil (aside from a few people who go a little over the top).

I don't think people should be blocked or censored solely because they prefer MorphOS over AmigaOS4. On the other hand if someone is trying to twist every thread into an OS4 vs MorphOS discussion that's out of order, but I don't think threads which deliberately directly discuss such issues are a problem since they can be easily ignored by those who aren't interested in them.

In short, I don't think being 'pro-Amiga' automatically has to make you 'anti' anything else. I am pro-Amiga, and I think OS4 is the closest thing to a future that the Amiga has. But I do respect the efforts of the MorphOS and AROS developers and supporters even though I've chosen a different path.

In a sense we're all in the same kind of boat - lifeboats from the sunken great ship Commodore. I've noticed there is a lot more software being released that works on more than one of OS3, OS4, MorphOS and AROS and I hope this trend continues. That way, even though we've all chosen our respective boats we can all at least head in the same direction, and by working together perhaps get there a little bit quicker than we would if we all worked apart?

Paul 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 15:23:42
#145 ]
Cult Member

@alx

Quote:
It's related to OS4, and not spam as BBRV isn't actually "selling" anything (except an idea).

I've followed that thread since it started, and there was more than one time when words to the effect of "oh, and if you want to save a lot of time, and get some really good firmware, you can license the OF/HAL from BBRV" comments.

Of course they'r trying to sell someting!

Paul

DoodooHead 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 15:24:26
#146 ]
Cult Member

@hatschi

The current lack of new OS4 hardware is not what I meant by "hardware difficulties".

I was referring to sound card and graphics card selection, installation, and troubleshooting.

As for the subject of the other thread, leave it in the other thread.

Paul 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 15:28:22
#147 ]
Cult Member

@Mikey_C

Quote:
It seems there is not even one person voicing a protest as to what is happening.

Actually I was waiting to see the moderators step in. The whole thing is blatant advertising by BBRV. I usually don't spend so much time posting here. But all of the spam/FUD/lies being posted by the Genesi evangelists will be perceived as truth by those who don't read much here, if it isn't challened.

Heh, I joined up here about a week after you started it, Mikey. And in all that time, I don't even have 300 posts yet.

I'm kind fo a quiet guy. But this kind of crap takes the fun out of AW, the same way it destroyed the original A.org.

Paul

madtrekker 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 15:33:25
#148 ]

@Kronos

Quote:
MorphOS is the 1st competion OS4 has to beat inorder to suceed in any way, and trying to protect OS4 by putting a blind eye on it is nothing but a sign of weakness.

I don't agree with that sentiment at all. Although in a sense the success of OS4 could be measured in terms of how much of the remaining Amiga market OS4 captures versus other Amiga-based operating systems, I think there is a bigger picture to look at.

I think, and I hope, that Amiga/Hyperion have bigger plans than simply selling an updated OS to a small group of remaining Amiga fans. Any plan to grow the Amiga market might at the present time seem ludicrously ambitious but I think for OS4 to succeed in any real terms such a plan must exist and at least some progress towards executing that plan must at some point be made.

If OS4 (and/or any other Amiga-based OS) is to accomplish this, then spending too much time competing for what's left of the existing Amiga market would past a certain point be counter-productive.

In fact, if the various OS's settle into a similar relationship to that seen in the Linux market where there are multiple Linux vendors but all with a sufficiently common base that applications can be developed that work on all of them, then that would be more attractive to potential customers currently outside of the existing market, since the net result would be a wider base of software running on all the OS's.

As I mentioned above, this has already happened for some applications, but mostly due to developers of major applications being gifted hardware to develop ports for the new platforms. This could more efficiently be done if there was increased developer co-operation between the platforms. It's a little trickier with Amiga-based OS's than with Linux ones, since the Linux variants are more similar at a core level, and most development for Linux is open-source, but it already has been done by various means for some Amiga software and the more it happens the more attractive all the Amiga platforms become to outsiders.

Nagasakee 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 15:39:12
#149 ]

@thread

I also came here late in the game, (although I owned an Amiga 1000 the first day they went on sale in Florida.) and even used to work as a manager of an Amiga-only computer store. I came here for the good serious Amiga discussions, of course, but really for two reasons: the forthcoming OS4 and the AmigaOne. (I know that the AmigaOne is now not really viable or even available...)

I am waiting patiently/impatiently for a full hardware and software solution, where I can walk into a computer store, and just buy an Amiga computer with an operating system on it. (what a concept!)

I gave up really following the fractious Amiga community's politics a while ago. While I don't have anything against the folks at MorphOS, to me they are not Amiga. In my personal view the existence of these alternatives dilutes the possibility of there ever being that fictional store above...again.

I don't know much about ACK, Troika, BBRV, or even Hyperion. I just would like to be able to buy a new Amiga, that runs pretty fast, and is somewhat modern. The politics is a distraction and reminds me of the Gateway/Amiga Inc/Escom days...the Amiga has had a long history of ownership groups that can't work together, its a real shame and a terrible irony to see the same mistake made with the user communities.

I hope you stay OS4 and Amiga, and thanks for running a pretty good site.

falemagn 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 16:11:49
#150 ]

@treblesix

Quote:

treblesix wrote:
@falemagn

Off topic but your avatar looks like Garabaldi from Babylon 5

My avatar looks like... me :)

~~ Henry Ford

Turrican3 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 16:14:20
#151 ]

@Mikey_C
IMHO the topic title is misleading for such an important "direct poll". I actually came here and read it by mistake!

Anyway... I'm pro-OS4 but I wouldn't mind talking about MorphOS on AW.net, especially if and when there will be the possibility for Peg2 owners to run Hyperion's OS, too.

Will this lead to more flames? Maybe... or maybe not. I think it's all up to people trolling from both sides, but after all moderators also exists to keep the forum "clean", don't they?

Regards

Interesting 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 16:22:33
#152 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@Mikey_C

Quote:
Now, on Amigaworld we have BBRV, Genesi and it's followers.

Yes, and Im sorry to say I see Moo bunny traits here.

We I first came to AW : found a group of mostly UK people who went out of their way to make me feel at home. Friendship and fun with our Amiga's. Don't wish to see this slip away.

hatschi 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 16:42:02
#153 ]
Elite Member

@Interesting

Quote:
Yes, and Im sorry to say I see Moo bunny traits here.

You are probably refererring to Atheist who came back after having an intermezzo on Moobunny because he got suspended on AWN?

Concerning his trolling abilities, he might actually fit better to the whole "Moo-concept" - although he would surely not have an easy time there.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 16:44:27
#154 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Now it is you who is trolling.

hatschi 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 16:51:21
#155 ]
Elite Member

@Mikey_C

"Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming."

Cheer up!

Rachy 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 16:55:20
#156 ]

@Mikey_C

No, no and no please.
This portal is barely the last one I read recently, I really fed enough of the trolling "out there". I had seen falling of amiga.org and ann.lu. Allowing more MOS/AROS/whaterver topics here would be just more gasoline on the bonfires. They have the rest of the portals, why do they need this one too? (Well, we all know the answer, yes.)

So from my side: pro Amiga, even more. This is the final fortress of AmigaOne/AmigaOS4, please don't give it away.

Toaks 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 16:55:56
#157 ]
Elite Member

@Mikey_C

nah , there can only be one.

hatschi 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 17:00:18
#158 ]
Elite Member

@Rachy and @thread

Quote:
Allowing more MOS/AROS/whaterver topics here would be just more gasoline on the bonfires.

Please, could you tell me where these MOS discussions and MOS threads are that you are constantly referring to?

I had a look on the Recent threads page. Result:

1 thread about "RoHs compliance of the Peg2 from Interesting"
and
1 thread about "Combining MOS and OS4 code" which was started by a "red troll" and is already locked for that.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 17:01:37
#159 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

For the last time, It's not the threads, it's the evangalising MOS users on here that are driving most of us nuts!!!

Mikey C

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 3-Jan-2006 17:08:48
#160 ]

@Rachy

Quote:
They have the rest of the portals, why do they need this one too?

You should get out and about a bit more!

Amiga.org is totally chilled - no flame fests there. Discussion is mainly classic Amiga but I see threads on AmigaOnes and OS4 with no rancour or nastiness. Funnily enough, I don't see too much talk of Morphos, Peg in the forums.

Morphzone is very business like - mainly morphos issues discussed - if OS4 or esp Amiga Inc is mentioned - you may get some cheap throwaway comments - much the same as here but in reverse. The site isn't as busy or eclectic as this one.

ANN seems to be very quiet - has gone back to being mainly news with the comments totally toned down since the loss of anonymity.

Moobunny - mad, bad and only good for small doses!

Overall, I think this is the best site - with skillful moderating the new Morphos people can be a real asset in, not just experience, but also in reminding us there ARE alternative perspectives. However AW.Net should not be scared of asserting it's right to be OS4 centric.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle