Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 billt:  6 mins ago
 geit:  30 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 SnkBitten:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 terhox:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 Lou:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 Deniil715:  3 hrs 40 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 23 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  5 hrs 29 mins ago
 zipper:  5 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )
PosterThread
bbrv 
EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 15:46:33
#1 ]

Hi AW.net, we have been requested to post information about the EFIKA here. As the time for the general release is drawing close, we thought we would open up the entire discussion (particularly since the lawyers for the Amiga IP holders are active again!). So here goes:

fun4u2blog

Is there anything else?! When we are sure there is nothing else we will start posting answers there - except for the really juicy stuff and we will save that for Total Amiga...

R&B

Profile     Report this post  
billt 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 16:06:10
#2 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:
particularly since the lawyers for the Amiga IP holders are active again!

Duh?

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18949&forum=15#291736

If Amiga Inc's lawyers stayed asleep after you claimed to initiate legal actions against them, which I assume you were not fibbing about, we should all be very suprised. While we haven't seen any public info as to what you're suing them for this time, even if it's related to the previous lawsuit, AI really should have their lawyers involved, even if they happen to be in the wrong. That's how courtrooms are supposed to work, which they should know quite well after they did it all wrong the first time around and were not allowed to file anything in their defense before the whole Kmos conspiracy gave them funding for lawyers again.

Or is this not a response to your recent claims, but an AI legal maneuver on some other issue? I'd be suprised if they are on the offensive instead of the defense at this point. Is there anything that can be shared with the public at this point, or is it all for the courtrooms only for now?

And the contents of your post here is confusing regarding your blog link. It's just a list of questions but no answers, I don't understand what that has to do with providing information about Efika or Amiga Inc's lawyers which you mention in your post here. Am I lacking caffeine or something?

Last edited by billt on 28-Aug-2006 at 04:13 PM.

ssolie 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 16:11:44
#3 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv
Quote:
particularly since the lawyers for the Amiga IP holders are active again!

It could have been a nice forum topic but no, you just had to take another cheap shot... [sigh]

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 16:21:59
#4 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

I’m wondering how this will effect Hyperion and AmigaOS4, in the positive way or the negative way, it’s where hard to know what your thinking when your not answering the questions you know

billt 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 16:22:19
#5 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

I do have an additional "real question" to add to the list in your link.

For the "open" Pegasos2 design, there is a programmable GAL chip on page two named GAL16LV8TINY, which appears to be part of the AGP logic enabling the AGP slot to function properly. It seems that without knowing what gets programmed into this thing, the AGP slot would not be able to function properly, and the design is thus incomplete. What goes in there? On the same page, the 24CXX isntance seems kindof vague with the "xx" not denoting anything in particular. Sounds like a serial EEPROM, but which one?

Last edited by billt on 28-Aug-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 16:41:10
#6 ]

@ssolie

Quote:
It could have been a nice forum topic but no, you just had to take another cheap shot... [sigh]

Is it just me, or has everyone suffered a loss of humour in these parts recently?

Let's have the discussion - instead of cheap shots back at a fairly light hearted post by bbrv.

I'll kick off by registering my interest (I won't even mention OS4 on EFIKA! Oh darn! I just did! ) in seeing AROS on EFIKA.

There you go - I challenge all you grumpy heads to have a go at me for that aspiration!

jkirk 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 16:47:30
#7 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

quick question. what is the point of posting questions asked with no responses?
or did i just miss them?

Last edited by jkirk on 28-Aug-2006 at 04:48 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

number6 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 16:51:18
#8 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I'm wondering how this will effect Hyperion and AmigaOS4, in the positive way or the negative way

If you are referring to AmigaInc's effect on the equation:
More resources devoted/required to protecting their IP, means less resources for us.
(resources refers to more than just monetary considerations)

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 16:51:36
#9 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:
we have been requested to post information about the EFIKA here. As the time for the general release is drawing close, we thought we would open up the entire discussion

Your asking the users if we are interested in EFIKA for AmigaOS4?

tomazkid 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 16:53:18
#10 ]
Team Member

@jkirk

Quote:
quick question. what is the point of posting questions asked with no responses?

Maybe this:

Quote:
Is there anything else?! When we are sure there is nothing else we will start posting answers there - except for the really juicy stuff and we will save that for Total Amiga..

So if you have a question to add to the existing ones, ask it now.

dolen 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 17:07:42
#11 ]

I would shure be glad to see bbrv get the rights for AmigaOS! At least they have a plan for how to bring the hardware!
At least they have done SOME efforts to keep the amiga community alive!
At least they made things happen and brought morphOS and hardware for the amigafans!
BBRV + Hyperion would make a good team. If not, AROS is our only hope in the long run.
Here is a functional train suitable for amigaOS. Step inside!

I guess its time for some appreciation!

Good luck BBRV! If you cant give PPC desktops a future, who will?

jkirk 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 17:11:32
#12 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

ok missed that. thanks.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

bbrv 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 17:37:07
#13 ]

@dolen - thanks!

@tomazkid - thanks to you for explaining the original question, which was: what else if anything is there to ask?! Just leave a comment! (that was sort of a joke too, because there are so many! BTW, we actually make bread in addition to developing computers!).

@billt - send us an email and we will forward it to those that can answer the question:

@Amiga Inc. legal question: the current Amiga, Inc. of Delaware seems to have become more aggressive and restrictive on their IP claims, and they apparently have money to spend on law firms (though Bolton is still owed money and has an outstanding judgment). In the meanwhile, the Amiga trademark has become very weak. Many patents have expired and a German court has already ruled that no exclusive rights to the OS went out of Commodore. Not to mention there are legal licensees from that time period, but that is enough for now. We will cover the rest in the questions...

R&B

Legion 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 17:40:34
#14 ]
Cult Member

@billt

Quote:
And the contents of your post here is confusing regarding your blog link. It's just a list of questions but no answers, I don't understand what that has to do with providing information about Efika or Amiga Inc's lawyers which you mention in your post here. Am I lacking caffeine or something?

No, your right.

@Bill Buck

Wtf? How about some real info on Efika, such as a) does MorphOS run on it/come with it? and b) How much will it cost in US dollars, so that I have an idea of how much I'll need to scrounge up?

Also, I'd be happy to pay $5 extra above and beyond the cost so that you can buy your poor wife a cheeseburger

Cheapshot returned!!

hatschi 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 17:58:20
#15 ]
Elite Member

@number6
Quote:

number6 wrote:
@NutsAboutAmiga
Quote:
I'm wondering how this will effect Hyperion and AmigaOS4, in the positive way or the negative way

If you are referring to AmigaInc's effect on the equation:
More resources devoted/required to protecting their IP, means less resources for us.
(resources refers to more than just monetary considerations)

Amiga Inc has resources for *us*? What kind of resources are these (apart from their IP and trademark)? Maybe you can provide some further insight on this.

billt 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 18:15:23
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Legion

Maybe it's a PR stunt to generate more questions about Efika, as it seems there's only one Efika question in the list, which doesn't indicate much interest. More questions indicates more interest, which would be preferable for hyping the thing up. From a business point of view, that makes sense, and bbrv should be trying to increase awareness and make it look like a lot of people are interested in the thing as part of their marketing package to "real" businesses outside of our community.

But the comment about AI's lawyers doing stuff, that just doesn't make sense in the context of this topic.

Last edited by billt on 28-Aug-2006 at 06:16 PM.

opi 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 18:22:10
#17 ]
Team Member

@hatschi

Quote:
Amiga Inc has resources for *us*?

Not for you. The resources are only for people who knows secret handshake. Well, it's not much of the handshake, it's more like one finger salute.

bbrv 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 18:30:00
#18 ]

@billt

But, you see Bill it *does* effect any effort going forward and that *is* an issue. That *is* why it needs to be understood.

Of course, you are spot on in terms of marketing the EFIKA. We think the EFIKA will bring back an new generation of affordable computing. Tied to the choice of operating systems available and what applications they can provide is the array of choice users are looking for in a platform. This potential economic boost is what will drive success back into this market.

R&B

billt 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 18:57:44
#19 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:
Many patents have expired and a German court has already ruled that no exclusive rights to the OS went out of Commodore.

Any links to such announcements? I don't remember hearing this before, and am interested inlearning more. I'm curious as to what Escom actually paid for then, when they seemed to think they purchased that stuff.

I just don't see what reason AI has to bring lawsuit against you guys at this point. They don't seem to even want to sell OS4. They waddle around on their (IMHO) lame-duck DE/anywhere product for mobile Windows. You've seperated yourself from MorphOS product. Other than your previous lawsuit against AI regarding DE on Pegasos (as I remember the judge gave you DE but not OS4), I can't imagine what anything AI does has anything to do with what you guys do, or why any such overlap would be worthy of starting legal action against you. We the people of course do not know a lot of things, as it should be, but my imagination is coming up with nothing that AI would want from Genesi at this point. (I do not intend to say that Genesi has nothing worth wanting in general, seems you guys make very nice hardware, just that I don't see anything Genesi has that fits with what we think we know about AI's business plan) I also can't imagine DE/Anywhere being critical or even useful to the success of Pegasos/Efika products, so I don't see that if AI is holding back on porting DE is going to affect anything. I don't know if the rumored 30 day response scheme that claimed to get AI out of the DE judgement is real or if it would hold up in court or not, regardless I just can't imagine it being a critical part of your business. So for both directions, I don't have any acceptable idea as to why Amiga Inc. or their lawyers are so important to Genesi moving forward these days.

Perhaps you'll say more about this in the Q&A, or perhaps I'll have to buy Total Amiga to understand things, or perhaps we'll all be left in the dark, forever wondering what exactly happened there. (A plausible and acceptable possibility, as not all business details should be public knowledge, especially if companies involved like AI and Genesi are not publicly traded) I'm curious to see if anyone jumps into obsession over this and posts everythign that happens, as someone did for the old court case.

It's just one of those things that since we don't know what you know, it makes that bit of comment appear out of place.

Last edited by billt on 28-Aug-2006 at 07:03 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 28-Aug-2006 19:11:04
#20 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Don't have any links at hand, but during the Escom time their was a dispute with Villagetronic who had a licence (from C=) to produce and sell 3.1-upgrades kits.

The (clueless german) judge couldn't find any evidence that AmigaOS was part of what Escom bought. After that it all fell still, and never resurfaced in RL (while it's still popular on the forums).

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle