Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 69 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 terhox:  22 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Lou:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Deniil715:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  3 hrs 44 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 48 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 59 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  4 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )
PosterThread
Benji 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 9:48:00
#201 ]
Cult Member

@gary_c

Dont you see the problem here though? Do we believe anything the MorphOS gang or BBRV claim any more than we did when we were told OS4 was "on schedule and rockin"?

There is too much smoke and mirrors and lawsuits to really know what is driving people these days.

Last edited by Benji on 05-Sep-2006 at 10:14 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
bbrv 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 10:36:05
#202 ]

@Benji

There is no ongoing lawsuit. There was one. It is over. The judgment has been made - and upheld. End of story.

@all interested

Let's try to bring this discussion back to reality and in focus.

OS4 is a development that has been licensed for a specific target. The *single* target does not have a future. Consequently, the development does not have much of a future - under these conditions. This is sad, but true - no flames please. These are facts.

The first question is what can be done?

Genesi has a platform OS4 can target. There are license issues. These can be solved if it makes business sense. We know exactly what to do and how to do it - and so would bigger companies if they knew "how great" you were. There is solid evidence to suggest that OS4 can be at least moderately successful in this way. There are OS specific communities that have found a home on the Pegasos/ODW. Here is the latest example: Solaris on Power. With the EFIKA, the Pegasos III and Power.org the possibility of success increases. These are not pipe-dreams. We have proven that this is possible.

The difference between Solaris and MorphOS or OS4 is of course the huge resources that are linked to Solaris in Sun Microsystems (a Genesi customer). Thus, Power.org also represents opportunity. IBM and Freescale are both Genesi customers and while AIX is certainly the interest of IBM, the linkage to a particular OS is not as strong in either case as it is with Sun. This is the chance. If you want OS4 to be successful get involved in Power.org. SImple. No lunatics please (or moronic posts) as they won't bring any credibility to your cause. Do you think Amiga is great? Tell and show people why. Is the community part of what is good? Great. Prove it. Collectively, the community can be every bit as powerful for OS4 and/or MorphOS as Sun can be for Solaris. Perception is reality. You can make a difference. We are facilitating the future of your involvement with the development of the PowerProjectCenter. When it is open, be part of it, get exposure, and help change the situation for OS4, MorphOS and all things Amiga if you really want to take OS4 farther than a hobby chat site topic.

You can wallow around in the senseless debates about things that have no future and don't help create one or you can leave the baggage at the door and come on over to Power.org. You can join for FREE as a Individual or Developer Member (follow last link). Participation is what you make it.

R&B

saimo 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 13:26:32
#203 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:
Genesi has a platform OS4 can target.

True. And the HW announced these days is scaring you to death.

Quote:
There are license issues.

True. Deal with them properly, rather than telling us about them. We already know.

Quote:
These can be solved if it makes business sense.

True. But that may not be the only condition.

Quote:
We know exactly what to do and how to do it

So, just do it and let us know when you got it done.
Or do you mean that trying to force a port by pressuring the community, in the hope that, on its turn, this will convince the other party, is exactly what & how to do it? If so, that's definitely not making business the right way. Some may even like it - it may seem smart after all; but I (and I bet many others as well) just find it sly and disturbing, to say the least.
I know I would never partner with a business man that behaves in public like you've been doing for years.

saimo

pixie 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 13:41:48
#204 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Somehow I doubt that if the Samsung/Sony/Whatever CEO would come here talking the BBRV talk you would pose him the same questions... the license scheme, scam, or whatever is as flawed as flawed can be, and still people still praise it because it's 'the way its meant to be'... gee

peterray 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 13:41:51
#205 ]

@saimo

I agree on each of your statements.

Ciao
Gabriele

saimo 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 13:50:54
#206 ]
Elite Member

@pixie

You have read too much in my words.
BTW: I hope you don't want to put BBRV and Samsung's CEO on the same level. Anyway, the latter, for a gazillion reasons, would never do business on a forum...

saimo

pixie 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 13:54:03
#207 ]
Elite Member

@saimo
Quote:
You have read too much in my words.

Anything worth reading after saying this:
Quote:

Quote:
I hope you don't want to put BBRV and Samsung's CEO on the same level. Anyway, the latter, for a gazillion reasons, would never do business on a forum...

I don't have anything against the way BBRV shows up in forums, and I bet that you wouldn't have a chance in life of talking to Samsung CEO, and perhaps learning something worthwhile of it in the process

Last edited by pixie on 05-Sep-2006 at 01:55 PM.

peterray 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 14:48:09
#208 ]

@pixie

In 2003 I would have bought a Pegasos, instead of an A1, if it would run AOS4, but BBRV hasn't been able (or wasn't allowed) to do what Eyetech did.
If AOS4 will ever run on Pegasos, I will consider it, but in all these years BBRV spoke a lot and did nothing for AOS4, except lawsuits.

If the CEO of Sony, ... would come here telling us they want AmigaOS4 on e.g. the PS3, I'm quite sure we will see it well before than 3 years time.
Sorry but BBRV has the reputation he built himself: very high in Morphos/Pegasos community, very low in AOS4/A1 community.

Ciao
Gabriele

pixie 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 14:56:20
#209 ]
Elite Member

@peterray

So what he had done on MOS wouldn't be able to do it i regard of OS4?

SoundSquare 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 15:06:48
#210 ]

Quote:

lmao, sure it is VERY VERY scary for Genesi.

@all

BBRV is right here, AW posts and topics are just turning around in circles. same stuff, same complaints, same dreams, same disappointment, same vapors...etc
it's time that YOU do something, it's time that YOU prove to the world that Amiga rules !

BBRV is only giving you directions, advices, and a place where you can express your passion in a constructive way. MorphOS is trying to get attention from the POWER community, OS4 may deserve the same attention, we should all be part of the POWER community, it's time to look forward than your bellybutton.
Spread the word.

peterray 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 15:21:26
#211 ]

Quote:

pixie wrote:
@peterray

So what he had done on MOS wouldn't be able to do it i regard of OS4?

Yes ! He surely would be able ! My complaint is that he didn't/doesn't do it !! He only talks, talks, sues, talk, ... (regarding AOS4, obviously).

Ciao
Gabriele

Last edited by peterray on 05-Sep-2006 at 03:22 PM.

saimo 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 15:21:34
#212 ]
Elite Member

@SoundSquare

Quote:
Quote:

lmao, sure it is VERY VERY scary for Genesi.

I said "you" (="BBRV"), not "Genesi".
BBRV wants AOS4, and new HW for AOS4 means that AOS4 can do without him.

saimo

edits: bad quoting

Last edited by saimo on 05-Sep-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 05-Sep-2006 at 03:22 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 15:25:39
#213 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

I fully agree whit BBRV on his last comment, I fully support what he is doing when and if Hyperion and BBRV can come to an agreement, until then I be waiting for faster Amiga then my current AmigaOne-XE whit in a price range that my economy can handle.

I think AmigaOS4 should target as many hardware platforms as possible, and not be limited to just one hw company, provided licensing system that gives Hyperion the money to continue development of the OS, and add more every day computer standards to the OS.

billt 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 15:34:55
#214 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:
There is no ongoing lawsuit. There was one. It is over. The judgment has been made - and upheld. End of story.

OK, now I'm confused again. If there's no lawsuit, then what did you mean with your comment "particularly since the lawyers for the Amiga IP holders are active again!" in your original post that started this very topic? And what did you mean in your recent post here where you mentioned "The only way to communicate with Amiga Inc. is through lawyers. We started the process yesterday."

Sorry, but sometimes I can't keep up with you guys, I must have missed a turn somewhere...

billt 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 15:43:21
#215 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:
If you want OS4 to be successful get involved in Power.org. SImple. No lunatics please (or moronic posts) as they won't bring any credibility to your cause. Do you think Amiga is great? Tell and show people why.

How reasonable is anything involving the "A-word"? Even with a well thought out, reasonable and well-written post at power.org, how seriously is it to be taken? For example, you might be the most reasonable person in the world, but if you use the "A-word" on slashdot, you'll get nothing but flames, people asking why anyone could possibly even consider supporting such a "dead OS", people assuming you're talking about OS1.3 on an A500 compared to Windows or Linux of today, etc. They don't know or care that their assumptions are wrong. They don't want to be corrected, they don't want to understand what state OS4 actually is, they don't want to know what hardware may or may not run it, how much it costs, where they might get it, or if it's still manufactured or not. All that stuff is completely irrelevant to their 1.3/A500 view of anything Amiga.

How open-minded are the people at power.org? Are they willing to consider AmigaOS in reasonable terms? Or will they write off anyone posting about it, even in reasonable terms, as a total whacko like the Slashdot folks do?

Last edited by billt on 05-Sep-2006 at 03:51 PM.

ssolie 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 16:07:02
#216 ]
Elite Member

@SoundSquare et al
Yet all we see is more talk and promises of some web site to come. More talk. Move the discussion over to Power.org where we can talk some more. Talk, talk, talk. Wake us up when somebody does something besides talk.

Last edited by ssolie on 05-Sep-2006 at 04:07 PM.

number6 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 16:22:48
#217 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Sorry to barge in. I realize you didn't direct this to me, but..
Quote:
OK, now I'm confused again. If there's no lawsuit, then what did you mean with your comment "particularly since the lawyers for the Amiga IP holders are active again!"

This is probably a general reference to AI protecting their IP quite vigorously
recently. (Wayne and others have commented on this)

Quote:
"The only way to communicate with Amiga Inc. is through lawyers. We started the process yesterday."

This -could- mean simply using intermediaries to facilitate communication and
have nothing to do with the connection we make between hearing the word "lawyer"
and assuming the word "lawsuit" to also be implied by use of -that- word.
I agree, though, that the wording here could be improved.

@ssolie

Quote:
Talk, talk, talk. Wake us up when somebody does something besides talk.

Fortunately, in about 11 days, a statement such as this will not have validity
if turned around and directed at -us-. (BB4)

Last edited by number6 on 05-Sep-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Darth_X 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 17:49:04
#218 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

pixie wrote:

I bet that you wouldn't have a chance in life of talking to Samsung CEO, and perhaps learning something worthwhile of it in the process

If you got the chance of talking to Samsung's CEO he would probably try to take your picture!

Here is a picture of Samsung's CEO taking a picture of the reporters taking a picture of him. Why? Because he's the CEO and he can take as many pictures of the people taking pictures of him as he wants to!

Darth_X 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 18:14:11
#219 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@SoundSquare et al
Yet all we see is more talk and promises of some web site to come. More talk. Move the discussion over to Power.org where we can talk some more. Talk, talk, talk. Wake us up when somebody does something besides talk.

Talking is the better way to resolve issues. For if we don't talk, the issues will remain unresolved.

As long as you didn't mean to say "Wake me up when somebody besides me does something"

Darth_X 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 18:30:42
#220 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Samwel wrote:
@Darth_X

Aren't all "pro-red" trolling fanboys? We're all stupid people who got sucked by Amiga Inc
and Hyperion.. That's the idea I got from surfing other "Amiga" sites.

I sure hope not, otherwise I'm totally wasting my time here.
Would you like to figure out ways to work with them, resolve these issues, and bring the entire amiga community, splintered as it is, back together?

Quote:

The thing is that OS4 users never say that about MorphOS users. It's simply their choice.

Plenty of things have been said by both sides, but this isn't about who has said the nastier things. This is about finding ways to resolve those issues.

Your turn

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle