Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 66 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  3 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 mins ago
 clint:  29 mins ago
 Frank:  33 mins ago
 roar:  34 mins ago
 matthey:  36 mins ago
 t0lkien:  37 mins ago
 bhabbott:  42 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )
PosterThread
billt 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 29-Aug-2006 22:26:56
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Legion

Yes, that was Eyetech's intention. Too bad the brown stuff hit the fan instead. I don't know what bplan's original intention was, but that's certainly what it has been since Pegasos2. I don't know much about how the Peg1 sold.

Correction, that seems to have been Eyetech's intention as of the MAI design for AmigaOne. Not sure what all was intended for the Escena design before MAI, which would have plugged into an A1200 or A4000, as that seemed a lot more Amiga-specific, and designed particularly for the Amiga market. If I remember it could have operated without a classic Amiga "host", and in that state it might have been sellable to other markets, but that's guessing.

Last edited by billt on 30-Aug-2006 at 03:00 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
dan.hutch 
Posted on 29-Aug-2006 22:42:58
#62 ]
Cult Member

@ikir

Quote:
No thanks. The hardware is coming without Genesi.

Take it you have some inside information of some sort or is this simply the blind faith of a fanatic?

@bbrv

You have some nerve posting here as i'm sure there is much hostility, I personally cannot be bothered to read all the comments of those who continue to bash you, Genesi, and MorphOS. I for one have had enough of this Red Vs. Blue rubbish: it's boring now and pathetic and is just driving people away from the Amiga scene.

I think many are simply jealous of what Genesi have achieved and delivered where Amiga Inc. continue to fail. Well done.

May Genesi live long and prosper - you deserve it .

Last edited by dan.hutch on 29-Aug-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Last edited by dan.hutch on 29-Aug-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Framiga 
Posted on 29-Aug-2006 22:53:05
#63 ]
Elite Member

@dan.hutch

its not clear to me!.... are you joking or what?

Your sounds like a trllbait to me! i hope to be wrong.

ssolie 
Posted on 29-Aug-2006 22:53:10
#64 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma
Quote:
And heck, I haven't even seen a single piece of evidence that there is any actual designing going on either ...

See the real problem yet? Trust. It's gone. Long gone. No matter what is shown, no matter what pictures you see, it will never be enough. The only thing that matters is shipping product. Until then, this is all just empty meaningless chatter in a vacuous web forum. It is kind of fun in some masochistic way I suppose but it is still just arguing about nothing. But please, feel free to continue. Perhaps it is therapeutic.

bbrv 
Posted on 29-Aug-2006 23:23:40
#65 ]

@billt and TMHG - you two are on onboard and understand the conditions and approach. Thank you for your posts.

@legion - MorphOS has and will continue to be a target market, but it is just not the only market.

@dan.hutch - THANKS! Actually, the thread has been great. The only thing that concerns us is the webstats. If we only look at the numbers following the original link, the Amiga market has shrunk considerably since our last post here. This is a concern as we try to size up the market.

R&B

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 29-Aug-2006 23:34:51
#66 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Mr Buck

I hope that we can get the answer to the questions. At least, the questions coming from AmigaWorld.

Thank you.

:)

yoodoo2 
Posted on 29-Aug-2006 23:48:00
#67 ]

@bbrv
Quote:
If we only look at the numbers following the original link, the Amiga market has shrunk considerably since our last post here.

Or, more probably, the amount of people willing to blindly click on your links has shrunk considerably. Perhaps they're getting as bored of your meaningless posts and blog entries as they are of meaningless hints about forthcoming OS4 hardware.

Show us a link to a shop that sells Efika, running Linux and MorphOS and you might get a few more hits.

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

bbrv 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 0:01:13
#68 ]

@yoodoo2

You missed this: EFIKA for Sale!

MorphOS and GNU/Linux run just fine, thank you. Solaris is next.

Check back on the EFIKA Projects as the situation develops.

R&B

Rob 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 2:03:36
#69 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:
This is a concern as we try to size up the market.

This comment sparked a couple of thoughts, so here goes.

If you are really serious about OS4 on Genesi hardware, how many sales would you need to cover the licence and porting costs?

Would you be prepared to sell into the AmigaOS4 market on a break even basis and take the attitude that any profit generated would be a bonus?

Would it not be cheaper to bite the bullet and obtain a licence from Amiga Inc ,than fight them in the courts?

Oh and as no one else seems to have mentioned it, how do you like your pancakes?

I look forward to reading all your answers in Total Amiga.

Last edited by Rob on 30-Aug-2006 at 02:05 AM.
Last edited by Rob on 30-Aug-2006 at 02:04 AM.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 2:30:52
#70 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:
If we only look at the numbers following the original link, the Amiga market has shrunk considerably since our last post here. This is a concern as we try to size up the market.

That is the single biggest concern wrt the OS4 side of the amiga market. Unless somebody (anybody!) starts selling OS4-capable hardware very soon, you will find that there is no-one left. The latest batch of empty promises has been particularly punishing on the platform; if this Pianeta thing turns out to be delayed or cancelled for whatever reason, I think we'll see yet another mass exodus to Mac and Windows. After that, there will be maybe a couple hundred people left to buy anything you may be selling.

Rob 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 2:39:47
#71 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

I think there are people who will take notice when there is new worth reporting on sites such as Slashdot and The Register. There may be quite number of potential customers who have forgetten because the Amiga is off their radar at the current time.

Darth_X 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 3:31:19
#72 ]
Elite Member

*** Moderator is locking this thread!!! ***

tomazkid 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 3:51:06
#73 ]
Team Member

@Darth_X

Quote:
*** Moderator is locking this thread!!! ***

Bad joke.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 7:26:25
#74 ]

@bbrv

Quote:
(though Bolton is still owed money and has an outstanding judgment).

Isn't there a website floating around showing some of the amounts of money you owe to people out there? Maybe you should be mowing some lawns to get extra money, instead of playing on the forums, to get these people the cash you owe them?

Seer 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 7:52:44
#75 ]
Team Member

@AmigaHeretic

Not to defend BBRV but AFAIK, those people either didn't sue or no judge has ruled on that one. As long as it's just a webpage it's just that.

I know a few other people who say they are owed money from BBRV but they decided that they didn't want to sue or continue pursuing that.

gary_c 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 8:47:02
#76 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

Quote:
Would it not be cheaper to bite the bullet and obtain a licence from Amiga Inc ,than fight them in the courts?

I don't think fighting in courts is a good idea either, but I wonder -- when AOS is at a virtual deadend as far as hardware options is concerned -- what is the rationale for anyone paying Amiga, Inc. an upfront license fee? I realize that was Amiga, Inc.'s idea back when they thought the world would beat a path to their door and they could pick and choose opportunities. But now that AOS4 is more or less desperate for hardware and -- let's face it -- they don't exactly have a product with mass appeal, what is the logic for any hardware company paying Amiga, Inc. for the "priviledge" of providing machines for AOS and opening the door for Amiga, Inc. get some income?

Of course there would still be a per-unit amount paid to the OS vendor, Hyperion. Or maybe this cost would be paid directly by the end-user to Hyperion. In any case, the OS is paid for. Presumably, some percentage of what Hyperion receives from sales goes back to Amiga, Inc. as a royalty. No problem with that.

But I really don't see that Amiga, Inc. has any basis to expect additional fees beyond what is included in the unit sales. Given the very limited extra sales Genesi could expect from this market, and the fact that AOS has -- at this point anyway -- no other hardware options, it seems a bit arrogant of Amiga, Inc. to expect upfront cash for a deal like that, IMHO.

Furthermore, as far as I know, it's generally the OS vendor's cost to port to hardware, so this would be absorbed by Hyperion, not Genesi. Probably not a big factor anyway.

-- gary_c

Chip 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 9:05:02
#77 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

Don't expect answers to the real serious questions. He is a perfect marketing genius, and the best way to avoid problems is to ignore embarassing questions and put lot of smiles+dumb links into posts. That's the way how it works...

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 10:35:40
#78 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:
@dan.hutch - THANKS! Actually, the thread has been great. The only thing that concerns us is the webstats. If we only look at the numbers following the original link, the Amiga market has shrunk considerably since our last post here. This is a concern as we try to size up the market.

Yes every day there is nothing done whit hardware is equal to lost sale, but that’s not the only reason the community is decreasing, it is a surprise that community has lasted this long, on hope.

But now we are in critical stage, many users under estimated how long it will take to revive the platform, just speaking of updating the OS where it can stand alone whit out any emulation layer under it.

There is also the issue about marketing and filling holes in the software base that are critical for every day usage, currently the pre developer version of AmigaOS4 is best put to use by developers, while the normal user will often find problems whit buggy old software and issues whit compatibility due to lack of some hardware components like CIA, PAULA, DENISE chips, E-UAE kind of fills the gap whit classic computer, and CW4 drivers are under way, but currently user will be lost.

Also the hardware accelerated version Mesa3D that’s going to replace Warp3D, Is not shown to the public yet, while we are struggling whit some issues whit the Warp3D drivers, currently I’m unable to use WarpView whit out getting lookups, maybe bug in program or the driver, and there is no other solution then to wait.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Aug-2006 at 03:13 PM.

bbrv 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 12:02:20
#79 ]

@AmigaHeretic (and Chip)

Quote:
Edited: removed sentence with a very bad simile against another member of this forum.

Forums are like that because the opinion of least significance holds as much place as the opinion of great value, but different in that participation is the key and the dialogue continues. You provide value to others by the quality of your posts. The reader has to separate the wheat from the chafe. We can answer your unexamined and shrill contribution here or walk away from your unwanted intrusion into our lives. We are participating so we will answer. On morefus.net there is no such opportunity. We could call it the suicide bombing as it never ends. Eventually, he will regret doing it because he will begin to question himself (he knows what happened - age and maturity have a funny way of dealing with that) or it will effect him professionally. In the meanwhile, there is not anyone on that list that is legally owed a cent. There are even some that have tried to have themselves removed. There *are* a couple that we may ultimately compensate in some way, but that will be at our discretion and for no other reason than we want to. So, there is one answer for the questionBOOK and we will post a couple more (which may also be attempts to humorously answer the question!) today.
Quote:
Edited: removed sentence with a very bad simile.

R&B

Quote:
Please take any appeals against moderation via PM:s /Tomazkid

Last edited by tomazkid on 30-Aug-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Last edited by tomazkid on 30-Aug-2006 at 04:19 PM.

Will 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 15:00:23
#80 ]

@bbrv

Quote:
Removed edited quote/tomazkid

Hmm, can't help thinking that's a bit too harsh an analogy, suicide bombing is quite a serious subject, especially for the people affected by it.

But anyway, on another matter, that avatar of yours is quite disconcerting. It gives the appearance that no matter what you're typing, good news or answering criticism, you're thoroughly enjoying it......

Just felt I needed to point that out

Will

Last edited by tomazkid on 30-Aug-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Last edited by Will on 30-Aug-2006 at 03:47 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle