Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 50 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  13 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  44 mins ago
 danwood:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 Lou:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 t0lkien:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 roar:  3 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
Poll : Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Yes
No

PosterThread
hatschi 
Re: [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 10:02:00
#421 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Have you ever considered blogging?

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 10:18:03
#422 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

I prefer live forum feedback within the Amiga community.

The things I stated within the PS3 threads are good references with regard to my statements. The Amiga Community is unable to say "Ich habe es nicht gewust", anyone at AmigaWorld could have known if he or she did not decide to ignore.

Last edited by MikeB on 07-Feb-2007 at 10:18 AM.

hatschi 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 11:25:39
#423 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
The Amiga Community is unable to say "Ich habe es nicht gewust", anyone at AmigaWorld could have known if he or she did not decide to ignore.

Ignore what? I can understand when more and more forum members start to ignore your incoherent screenshot-laden posts.
OTOH, I don't think that anyone ignores or opposes the idea that the PS3 could be a nice platform for OS4. If the latter is your goal, then I might say that you are wasting your time here.

It's like showing poor hungry beggars photos of huge delicious meals trying to convince them that "food is good".

Last edited by hatschi on 07-Feb-2007 at 11:32 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 12:10:17
#424 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Well, some people find the PS3 user screenshots and experiences interesting. But you can never please everyone.

The PS3 is more than just a potential AmigaOS4 hardware platform. Actually IMO that makes the hardware all the more interesting, be it as an excellent gaming platform or one of the best and cheapest Blu-Ray players available. Something you can soon buy almost anywhere you want.

Personally I think it would be bad if we would have ignored all the features of the AmigaOne, if it could also serve as a good gaming platform, officially supported Linux platform and Blu-Ray player. The more we know about hardware the AmigaOS4 team/Hyperion wants to support the better.

Last edited by MikeB on 07-Feb-2007 at 12:12 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 12:27:57
#425 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
The PS3 version of Oblivion isn't a simple port of the game either

Initial comparison screenshots (the screenshot provided by IGN/WP):

Xbox 360:
http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/360/oblivion/DSCF2258.jpg

PS3:
here

I think oblivion is probably the best XBox 360 game, the game received various Game-Of-The-Year awards. An upgraded PS3 version would be excellent, faster loading, faster engine and improved graphics, sounds promising, IMO only sad if they don't include the soon coming expansions on the same disc. Massive storage abilities is Blu-Ray's greatest benefits. Probably they want to make extra money...

Last edited by MikeB on 07-Feb-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 07-Feb-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 07-Feb-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 07-Feb-2007 at 12:28 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 13:07:42
#426 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
Virtual Fighter 5 already takes advantage of this, reducing load times to arcade-like loading times.

South Korean PS3 user demonstrating Virtua Fighter wihout HD install:

http://dory.mncast.com/mncHMovie.swf?movieID=10001459220070206135919
http://dory.mncast.com/mncHMovie.swf?movieID=10001459220070206140935
http://dory.mncast.com/mncHMovie.swf?movieID=10001459220070206171442

Loading times without HDD install still seem acceptable.

[edit]Links fixed. Thx PW for the tip.

Last edited by MikeB on 07-Feb-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Jorge 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 14:48:25
#427 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Sorry to say that Mike, but maybe you should give it a rest.

I personally don't see a difference in the two screen shots (except one uses a higher resolution). And who cares anyway ? If Oblivion is your kind of game, you'll buy it, if not, well, then not. I am a bit tired of all this things going on between the consoles. Let people make their own decision, they will anyway. None of the 3 competitors will just die overnight. All three are major players. Good for us consumers, we have a choice.

[talking to myself]something went wrong the last couple of years. I remember the days we were excited to get something new. Nowadays, its more important to trash talk thing, me thinks[/talking to myself]

Yes, and I'm running my PS3 on a 42" TFT in 1080p and enjoying it. Why not? (just to make this clear where I'm coming from - and I am not against any other console! Pleassssseee).

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

MikeB 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 15:13:29
#428 ]
Elite Member

@Jorge

Quote:
And who cares anyway ?

Well there were "rumours" Oblivion would load slower, please note that I didn't start making comparisons with XBox 360 games.

Actually the fanboys made me investigate and I have been using my sister's XBox 360 Premium to see why all the attacks would be so justified. The PS3 is an excellent target platform for AmigaOS4 and I am sure we will see amazing things, insider knowledge and experience make me even confident we will see some things that will blow most people's minds.

Quote:
I am a bit tired of all this things going on between the consoles. Let people make their own decision, they will anyway.

Actually I would have preferred to stay out of the console wars. My primary interest is the Cell and 'Other OS' support, sadly this wasn't possible. So after doing personal research, I wondered if this is the general opinion and attitude here at AmigaWorld or just from some XBox 360 fanboyism, shooting anything regarding the PS3 down, spreading Doom & Gloom scenario's, eventually even degrading towards personal insults, etc.

Quote:
None of the 3 competitors will just die overnight. All three are major players. Good for us consumers, we have a choice.

Agreed, but only one has true potential of seeing an AmigaOS4 port.

[talking to myself]something went wrong the last couple of years. I remember the days we were excited to get something new. Nowadays, its more important to trash talk thing, me thinks[/talking to myself]

My thoughts exactly!

Last edited by MikeB on 07-Feb-2007 at 03:15 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 15:21:45
#429 ]
Elite Member

@Jorge

Quote:
Sorry to say that Mike, but maybe you should give it a rest.

Maybe I will, but some things I got to know behind the scenes are so fantastic. I wanted to try, at least give it enough effort others and me myself wouldn't blame me for not trying.

I think at the end of the year, if some people reread these two threads (in all these years @ AmigaWorld I could probably count the threads I started on both hands and maybe a foot) people will notice the things I've stated on technical matters weren't from out of this world and the relating cheapshots and attacks weren't really justified, they had rather to do with ignorance and blood pressure.

Last edited by MikeB on 07-Feb-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 15:27:16
#430 ]
Elite Member

I wonder how this news will affect HD-DVD readers and media sales...

Anonymous 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 15:42:35
# ]

@Lou

The same has already been done for Blu-ray by the same people.

Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 15:45:52
#432 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Excellent news with regard to Oblivion for the PS3

All this was announced by Besthda it's good that it's now been verified. In case you missed that they stated that Oblivion had been improved on the PS3 and the reasons for this is their continual work on the Oblivion engine. I believe Shiving Isles the new expansion for the 360 version of the game includes the improved engine too.

MikeB 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 15:46:59
#433 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Blu-ray and HD DVD Hacked Already
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/top/bluray-and-hd-dvd-hacked-already-185758.php

I doubt it will do much at this point as there aren't many enduser burners out there. I think the only high definition player which will sell in the millions this year is the PS3, thus effectively dwarfing the HD-DVD userbase.

Zardoz 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 16:06:06
#434 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
According to German computer magazine CT, Toshiba acknowledged the vulnerability and vowed that it would be plugged up with the next release of DVD player software.

They should realise that no protection will ever be fool-proof, the only thing they manage to do is torment legal users, copying will always be possible for as long as you can view something.

BrianK 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 16:32:10
#435 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I doubt it will do much at this point as there aren't many enduser burners out there. I think the only high definition player which will sell in the millions this year is the PS3, thus effectively dwarfing the HD-DVD userbase.

I agree. Not only are there few end users there are few pirates. Surely pirating cost companies money. DVDs are easily pirated but instead of seeing rate of rentals greatly increase, blank media sales greatly increase, and DVD purchase rate drops we see companies selling multi-million copies of the DVD. This would seem to indicate that the pirate group is a small percentage of the market. Certainly companies want to elimiate this completely, it'll never happen, well at least in my lifetime. I suppose someday there may be some uncrackable molecular code in the future.

MikeB 
Posted on 7-Feb-2007 18:52:23
#436 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
if the rumors are to be believed, Sony shelved showing Killzone 2 in favor of spotlighting Insomniac's new shooter franchise (and it will be a franchise) Resistance.

CVG:

"Sony will unveil the flagship PS3 shooter next month, plus masses of other new games CVG has learned

The highly-anticipated PlayStation 3 sequel to Guerilla Game's Killzone is to be officially unveiled at next month's GDC, CVG has learned.

Well placed US sources have revealed to us that the flagship Sony shooter will be shown in full glory at the San Francisco event, perhaps even in the form of a playable demo.

As well as its high price point, the PS3 (like most consoles) has faced criticism for a lack of really high profile, compelling games which make it a 'must buy' and the big reveal of Killzone 2 will also form the spearhead for a raft of new PS3 game announcements at the show, which Sony hope will drive PS3 sales through the roof during the European launch and beyond in the big lead up to the all- important Christmas 2007 market.

SCE worldwide studios president Phil Harrison is also due to keynote at the event, which takes place on March 5 to 9."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=157062

Sony showing off Killzone PS3? Could be exactly what the doctor ordered!

Last edited by MikeB on 07-Feb-2007 at 06:54 PM.

jiyong 
Posted on 8-Feb-2007 2:49:44
#437 ]
Cult Member

@hatschi

Well, there was one person that claimed we better target the GameCube as future hardware platform for OS4.

And I think there might be people that still hope OS4 (or 5) will go X86. So PS3 wouldn't fit in that thought.

On another note. I vaguely remember the skepticism around the Amiga One. Also people saying we shouldn't go into that direction. But up till now I guess it is the fastest machine to run OS4 on. Sure it would be faster if compiled for X86, but that simply hasn't happened.

And seeing how hard it is for AROS to keep up with newer hardware, I don't think X86 in it's current state is a viable platform for OS4 (or 5). By the time drivers for some reference platform have been finished, people will be whining for drivers for the newer X86 hardware, or the vendor discontinues that line.

BrianK 
Posted on 8-Feb-2007 5:26:36
#438 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:
Well, there was one person that claimed we better target the GameCube as future hardware platform for OS4.

That would be interesting. The Gekko CPU is a 485Mhz version of the PowerPC 750CXe. The Wii uses a 730Mhz PowerPC. They are supposed to be very similar in instructions. While not as fast as the 3.2Ghz in the 360 or PS3 it probably would be fine for an AmigaOS. Being the compatibility between the two we could have had a machine a few years ago and new machine at least 2x the speed now, low $300 pricing, and lowest power consumption. One thing that might be problematic is adding a harddrive.

Lou 
Posted on 8-Feb-2007 12:40:36
#439 ]
Elite Member

@all
interesting HD-DVD vs. Blue Ray sales #'s for the US: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4698&Itemid=2

@BrianK
The thing about the Gamecube is that the hardware is completely understood and exposed. The graphics in Gamecube mode on the Wii run better than on the GC internally. Also, it's just a matter of time before the full Wii hardware is exposed. The Wii has USB 2.0 ports so a hard drive would eventually be an option there. On the GC, you can have 2 2GB SD cards as a file system. There may eventually be an SDIO implementation to allow for bigger cards. An AROS port is not far off.

Again a GC system would just be a low common denominator for getting an Amiga PPC OS on CHEAP and AVAILABLE and did I say CHEAP as well as CHEAP hardware. Oh and AVAILABLE...which coincidentally is CHEAP. On a final note, it's dirt CHEAP.

People complain about 24MB of "main" RAM when they've been running 1MB Amigas for 15 years... I don't understand... PS, the GC has an additional 16MB that can be used as a RAM DISK and the Wii has 64MB of that.

Lou 
Posted on 8-Feb-2007 12:47:05
#440 ]
Elite Member

There is an IDE interface design that replaces the GC's optical drive. Just google modthatcube and follow the links. Not for the faint of heart but perhaps some Amigan hardware guru can make something more professional. Perhaps bundle it as a kit with a certain OS w/license for said hardware adaptation. Since it would prevent the unit from functioning as it's original design, there should be no issue with Nintendo.

API documentation for GC/Wii: http://tehwii.tehskeen.com/

Did I mention that it's cheap and WIDELY available yet?

Last edited by Lou on 08-Feb-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle