Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 65 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  21 mins ago
 t0lkien:  33 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 56 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 56 mins ago
 retrofaza:  4 hrs 34 mins ago
 Shadowrider:  4 hrs 43 mins ago
 danwood:  6 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
Poll : Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Yes
No

PosterThread
jtsiren 
Re: [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 10:54:55
#921 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:

Well my main business here is to learn more about the PS3 and the market. I am sure I provided some valuable information in reply to misconceptions (Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD, Blu-Ray drive speeds, HDMI 1.3, etc), what you do with this knowledge or how this effects you depends enirely on yourself. At least you are interested enough to participate in this discussion.

For now just enjoy your XBox 360, maybe after having a hands-on you change your mind.

Two things: I think this discussion, for whatever reason (there certainly has been debate on your writing style by many), has left a sour taste about PS3 that I didn't have, for me, going in. Maybe it is just me (and the rest who feel the same way) or maybe it truly is your style that causes it, I don't know and do admit I'm not an objective outsider who can formulate an unbiased opinion on that. I do know I don't feel the same way when discussing with other PS3 owners here.

However, and I do want to make this clear, I don't think I have made up my mind in any way because of that or despite of that - I've only come to the conclusion that I doubt I will get a better gaming experience buying PS3 in March and thus probably will not buy one. I had formulated this opinion before this thread, but I don't think there was any real bias - just disappointment. We both agree on this: PS3 (for a gamer) at this time is pretty much like Xbox 360, only with less games. This overall feel may change in the future as the product matures, or it may not if Microsoft continues to give PS3 run for its money. That black Xbox 360 is mighty tempting, though, I must admit...

My perception may change with hands-on experience or it may change even without it, I think I read enough to formulate a opinion based on a wide array of positions. Even though this discussion has lead to some bias against PS3, I'm hopefully mature enough to recognize it is there and will try my best to not let it cloud my judgement.

Last edited by jtsiren on 21-Feb-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 11:18:14
#922 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
Two things: I think this discussion, for whatever reason (there certainly has been debate on your writing style by many), has left a sour taste about PS3 that I didn't have, for me, going in. Maybe it is just me (and the rest who feel the same way) or maybe it truly is your style that causes it, I don't know and do admit I'm not an objective outsider who can formulate an unbiased opinion on that. I do know I don't feel the same way when discussing with other PS3 owners here.

Well, you didn't like my 'writing style' prior regarding me preferring AmigaOS4 over MorphOS neither, the first time I engaged in an anti-AmigaOS4 flamefest was when Genesi manager Matt Sealey made many degrading comments regarding Frieden Brother's alledged coding incompetence, I thought this was unfair, wrong and IMO I have been right in this regard, they and many others of the AmigaOS4 team have proven themselves to be very competent.

My writing style is hugely effected by the responses I receive, if someone writes Blu-Ray has been crushed by HD-DVD together with degrading comments towards those who believe otherwise, I will point towards conflicting evidence probably styled as a counter-offensive pointing towards this person's bias and disrespect for alternative points of view.

jtsiren 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 11:31:49
#923 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@jtsiren

Quote:

Well, you didn't like my 'writing style' prior regarding me preferring AmigaOS4 over MorphOS neither, the first time I engaged in an anti-AmigaOS4 flamefest was when Genesi manager Matt Sealey made many degrading comments regarding Frieden Brother's alledged coding incompetence, I thought this was unfair, wrong and IMO I have been right in this regard, they and many others of the AmigaOS4 team have proven themselves to be very competent.

That is certainly true. I have not liked your writing style before, but I didn't have that prejudice on my mind when this discussion started. Sure, I knew your name, but the topic wasn't as nearly as laden with emotion of the AmigaOS one was. The one thing that IS common, are the participants. Maybe you can say it's all me, but I don't think it is. I may have some part in it, but I don't think the major role.

I do stand by opinion on the Amiga Inc. subject and I think history has mostly proven it right as far as Amiga Inc. is concerned (right on the money, IMHO) and probably a bit too hopeful initially as far as Genesi was concerned (they did disappoint me somewhat, which I have acknowledged). But I guess that's beside the point. I have disagreed with many people on the topic and still don't feel the same way about their writing as I do about yours...

I think many people have tried to point out to you the issues they have with the way you communicate. I don't think you understand or agree, so I guess trying to get it through to you is futile. Hey, maybe we are wrong and you are right (on your style of writing), but I really don't think that is the case.

Your self-proclaimed positivity just seems fake with the snide remarks towards whatever is the opposition of the day for you, the way you answer only those things you feel comfortable answering, the selective quoting and going at lengths to gather information to support your point of you (but only your point of view)... There is also something more to it. There is a general feel that I'm uncomfortable with. Again, maybe it is just me, I can't say for certain it isn't.

Still, many people disagree with me even more than you do, all the time, on various topics, but I don't feel this way about most, if any of them.

P.S. If it isn't clear we have also discussed on Moobunny various times. I usually use my firstname Janne there as my alias. We have e.g. discussed you participating anonymously/with different aliases in debates there.

Last edited by jtsiren on 21-Feb-2007 at 11:35 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 13:08:22
#924 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Well what I don't like about your writing style is that you almost always write as if you don't have any bias or preferences.

In this and other discussiosns you criticized me (IMO diverting the discussion for the actual topic), so it's my turn. I look at you as a (now maybe disillusioned) MorphOS/Genesi supporter and in this discussion I view you an XBox 360 fan, not really someone without bias towards me, Amiga solutions nor the XBox 360 or PS3. I on the other hand never try to delude people in this regard, I underline my own bias which though are based on experience, for example if you write editiorals it's all about writing opinions which are always more or less biased. Everyone likes or dislikes something else, including my or your writing styles.

To give an example, in the past you wrote:

Quote:
Genesi for instance has nurtured a really productive community relationship with the Phoenix people, something that Amiga Inc. failed to do. Genesi has been very supportive of user groups and bought along many people from the community to advance MorphOS. MorphOS too is a huge group effort and Genesi has partnered with many other people to bring several operating systems to the Pegasos. How is this not co-operation?

I and Gary Peake were invited and part of Phoenix, what has Phoenix actually achieved, honestly? (phinixi.com RIP) Dan Dodge didn't take the effort seriously and left, Ralph Schmidt left upset when people mentioned Amiga, Ralph supposedly later rejoined when Garry and I myself left. Is the MorphOS community really in a better position than AmigaOS4 community currently is?

Sure Bill Buck and Ralph Schmidt may be optimistic in regard to running MorphOS on Efika boards and Ralph earlier dissed the possibility of running MorphOS on the PS3, unlike Hyperion and Amiga Inc have, but does the MorphOS community really prefer to be running on the Efika instead? I think a majority of MorphOS enthusiasts would have preferred if Ralph would have been more open minded towards the PS3, Amiga and Cell.

Last edited by MikeB on 21-Feb-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 21-Feb-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 13:12:06
#925 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Sure Bill Buck and Ralph Schmidt may be optimistic in regard to running MorphOS on Efika boards and Ralph earlier dissed the possibility of running MorphOS on the PS3, unlike Hyperion and Amiga Inc have, but does the MorphOS community really prefer to be running on the Efika instead? I think a majority of MorphOS enthusiasts would have preferred if Ralph would have been more open minded towards the PS3, Amiga and Cell.

I've never heard Ralph Schmidt being optimistic about the Efika boards. I know that Ralph Schmidt thinks that the PS3 is a joke and that's his opinion.

Edit: Anyway, I have to agree with what he wrote about your posting style and I am not the only one, many others, even people on "your side" in everything 100% agree both with me and jtsiren. As I said earlier, Wegster doesn't even wanna hear about the XBox and has already bought a PS3 yet he's argued with you on these issues. Why? Think about it.

Last edited by AMiGR on 21-Feb-2007 at 01:14 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 13:37:46
#926 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

I don't know, that's why I wrote maybe. Ralph is an employee of bPlan which made the Efika, he also leads the MorphOS effort, they have made a demo of MorphOS running on the Efika.

I know you and Janne and quite a few others (mostly oldtime ANN and Moobunniers) preferred to attack me on various occasions, but would you prefer I adopt a Bill Buck or Ralph Schmidt writing style?

I have heard fewer complaints with regard to those, Ralph Schmidt:

Quote:
Well, one thing i can say for sure is that we intentionally forget to tell that we won't support any panda, sam or whatever amiga shaq phantasy hardware OS4 fanboys come up because we have better things to waste our time on...

Quote:
Actually I forgot to mention the PS3. The PS3 will surely never be supported because i'm a xbox fanboy and can't stand Sony by principle

Quote:
P.S. In reality we work on mystery powerpc project with the code name Phoenix. But please, don't spread that as it's top secret atm.

IMO Ralph always seems angy, unconstructive and often impolite. BBRV spouts false allegations, causing trouble, revealing private data of ex-emoplyees or threatening to do this when they complain, painting grandiose pictures which fall apart as soon as you touch them, just talk, talk, talk...

I have met hundreds of people within the Amiga community, they all seem polite, enthusiastic and kind towards me. Offering drinks, a place to sleep, offering to go out or to join after-parties.

In fact I cannot name one person who has been like the people vividly posting on ANN or Moobunny with wild claims and hateful thoughts.

Last edited by MikeB on 21-Feb-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 21-Feb-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 21-Feb-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 21-Feb-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 13:53:46
#927 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I know you and Janne and quite a few others (mostly oldtime ANN and Moobunniers) preferred to attack me on various occasions, but would you prefer I adopt a Bill Buck or Ralph Schmidt writing style?

I have heard fewer complaints with regard to those, Ralph Schmidt:

Ralph is always extremely sarcastic about everything and that's his style. People take what he writes a bit too seriously, which is when they start getting offended.

Anyway, all and all.. What on earth does this have to do with anything? Who gives a toss what Laire's and BBRV's posting styles are? ANN regulars? Was BrianK an ANN regular? Trezzer? Wegster? Any of the other people to have told you about the posting style? I and Janne were but pretty much no-one in these threads had anything to do with you in the past.

Stop this arguing for *ONE* second and consider why people argue with you. I did that ages ago and got rid of the stupid childish posting style I had on ANN.lu and there you go, I have a much nicer time now. I'm not saying that yours is stupid or childish, I'm saying that at some point you should sit down and consider what we've been telling you and you may get something positive out of it.

Quote:
I have met hundreds of people within the Amiga community, they all seem polite, enthusiastic and kind towards me. Offering drinks, a place to sleep, offering to go out or to join after-parties.

And? Same here but this doesn't mean that I haven't been an annoying git in the past.

Last edited by AMiGR on 21-Feb-2007 at 01:54 PM.

jtsiren 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 14:01:56
#928 ]
Cult Member

Here is something for you number buffs to digest (U.S. numbers)... was this already discussed?

"Nintendo Wii sold 436,000 units in January according to NPD, with Xbox 360 selling 294,000 units and PlayStation 3 hitting 244,000."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4775&Itemid=9

I have no expertise to evaluate the validity of this report, so I'll let you all shred it to pieces as you see fit.

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 14:07:29
#929 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Yes Mr Kutaragi does not come from a wealthy background, he studied hard becoming a straight A+ student. He was very ambitious and worked his way up, I very much respect that.
While known it appears that either you don't know or are neglectful that Gates does not come from a wealthy background. He started near the start of Microsoft. It's undeniable that he is ambitious too.

Quote:
He may have more talent than Bill Gates, as most of Bill's predictions regarding technology during speeches were incorrect
It's likely that Kutaragi has more engineering talent then Gates. But, it's likely that Gates has more corporate business talent. And Bruce Lee likely has more jeet kun do talent then either of those 2 men.

Quote:
Bill was lucky IBM did not have the insight to develop their own OS (like IBM OS/2) from the start
Your history is off here didn't develop OS/2 by themselves. It was initally created by Microsoft & IBM. Later Microsoft dropped it and IBM went it alone.

Quote:
Microsoft as an employer has a subpar amount of employees compared to the profits they have been making over the years
On the other hand Microsoft has made more millionares then any other business venture ever. Microsoft was one of the first companies in the world to offer benefits to same-sex domestic partners and to include sexual orientation in its corporate nondiscrimination policy. Microsoft has supported legislation on nondiscrimination policies in the workplace.

Quote:
I think with more competition regarding OSes and 3rd party software, like BeOS
Wow you're blaming Microsoft for the downfall of BeOS? Again consult your history Apple's denial of allowing BeOS run on their hardware and then the inability for the 2 to merge and instead Apple buying NeXT, a failing company and to the big profit of Jobs, was more of a role then Microsoft's activity. The egos and fights between Jobs and Gasseu are so much greater a reason why Be failed.

I think you're showing your colours here. It's not that you dislike the Xbox360 as a product it's that you dislike Microsoft and love Sony. It's not as if Sony has done any bad business practices, it has. It's fine to dislike Microsoft, I've no problem with you disliking them. But, it appears your dislike of the company is clouding your ability to judge the 360 and encouraging you to like the PS3. Again that's fine but I think this goes far into understanding where you are coming from.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 14:09:36
#930 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

I think BrianK and Trezzer feels too strongly about the XBox 360, PS3, Microsoft and Sony. I think this clouds their opinions. When I debunk some of their statements I think they don't like this and try to resort to other measures.

Wegster, I don't know for sure. But this may have to do with conflicting opinions regarding the Amiga community. Wegster does seem the most knowledgeable of the bunch, so I do take his perspectives more seriously, I never had a chance to meet any of those.

Quote:
sit down and consider what we've been telling you and you may get something positive out of it

I do take all comments into account and when we at some point sit together at the bar after an Amiga event, maybe we can both reflect on the past.

jtsiren 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 14:09:51
#931 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:
IMO Ralph always seems angy, unconstructive and often impolite. BBRV spouts false allegations, causing trouble, revealing private data of ex-emoplyees or threatening to do this when they complain, painting grandiose pictures which fall apart as soon as you touch them, just talk, talk, talk...

Ralph is obnoxious for sure, but he is what he is openly. What you see is what you get. I don't think the same applies to you. Having said that, I don't consider Ralph any kind of example by which to behave on online forums. He could learn some manners.

I liked the "because i'm a xbox fanboy" part though. I didn't know he knowns how to laugh at himself at times.

I have no idea what BBRV, Ralph or anyone else has to do with the discussion I'm trying to have about myself (and few others in this thread) debating you.

BBRV is his own worst enemy for sure and is just as stubborn heeding to good advice as you seem to be. I have given him some, didn't sink all that well.

Quote:
I have met hundreds of people within the Amiga community, they all seem polite, enthusiastic and kind towards me.

I'm sure there are many people who like you, maybe they haven't tried debating you. Not all will also discuss these issues in person, so it is hard to know what everyone really thinks (goes for what they think about me too).

Is this about numbers then? We say this, but because you feel others say something else you choose to listen to those others instead of us?

Last edited by jtsiren on 21-Feb-2007 at 02:55 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 14:27:10
#932 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I think BrianK and Trezzer feels too strongly about the XBox 360, PS3, Microsoft and Sony

I'll give you there's things I don't like about Sony and about Microsoft. But my PS1 and PS2 would disagree with you... My PS3, which I'm getting likely this summer, would likely add a bit of bartone to the chorus.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 14:29:16
#933 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
While known it appears that either you don't know or are neglectful that Gates does not come from a wealthy background.

"His family was wealthy; his father was a prominent lawyer, his mother served on the board of directors for First Interstate Bank and the United Way, and her father, J. W. Maxwell, was a national bank president."

Quote:
Microsoft was one of the first companies in the world to offer benefits to same-sex domestic partners and to include sexual orientation in its corporate nondiscrimination policy. Microsoft has supported legislation on nondiscrimination policies in the workplace.

In other countries this is the default business ethic by law.

Quote:
Again consult your history Apple's denial of allowing BeOS run on their hardware and then the inability for the 2 to merge and instead Apple buying NeXT

What Apple does with their hardware is their own business. If they want to use NeXT instead what's the problem. However Microsoft bullied 3rd party partners for working with Be Inc. According to Fleecy they did something similar with Gateway during the Jim Collas time, regarding Amiga efforts. On a related note, M$ bought off most cases made against them:

"After years of legal maneuvering, Microsoft and Gateway have finally reached a settlement regarding Gateway's claims that they paid higher prices for Microsoft software because they did not bundle Internet Explorer with their PCs, favoring rival Netscape's Navigator browser instead."

"As part of the agreement, Gateway will relinquish all antitrust claims based on Microsoft's past conduct and use the funds to research, develop, and market products that can run current and next-generation Microsoft operating systems and software products. Though Microsoft continues to deny any liability, the company has been taking active efforts to wipe its antitrust slate clean, with over $900 million earmarked to resolve additional pending cases."

Last edited by MikeB on 21-Feb-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 21-Feb-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Hannibal_Smith 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 14:35:08
#934 ]

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@MikeB

Quote:
Yes Mr Kutaragi does not come from a wealthy background, he studied hard becoming a straight A+ student. He was very ambitious and worked his way up, I very much respect that.
While known it appears that either you don't know or are neglectful that Gates does not come from a wealthy background. He started near the start of Microsoft. It's undeniable that he is ambitious too.

Uh, Bill Gate's father is/was a rather successful and wealthy lawyer.

Hannibal_Smith 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 14:47:34
#935 ]

@AMiGR

As I posted about 6000 pages ago (it seems like that!) Mike clear does not want discussion, just agreement. This behaviour is incredibly irritating, and I'm not even actively participating in this thread. I'm beginning to see where his 'rep' has come from.

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 14:53:19
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
I think BrianK and Trezzer feels too strongly about the XBox 360, PS3, Microsoft and Sony. I think this clouds their opinions. When I debunk some of their statements I think they don't like this and try to resort to other measures.

Yes. It couldn't possibly be the one person whom everyone agrees on.

And yeah. I feel strongly about Microsoft and Sony. I hate them both with a passion.

Last edited by Trezzer on 21-Feb-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Report this post  
jtsiren 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 14:53:57
#937 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Well what I don't like about your writing style is that you almost always write as if you don't have any bias or preferences.

I don't think that is necessarily true, but fine, if you feel that way I can't deny your experience. I will take that into consideration. I obviously have biases and preferences like anyone, I try to point most of those out including how I now feel I have maybe a bit misplaced bias against PS3 and why... I don't think that reflected all that well on me, but I posted it nevertheless because I think it is true.

Quote:
In this and other discussiosns you criticized me (IMO diverting the discussion for the actual topic), so it's my turn.

That is perfectly OK, and I did divert the discussion, you are right. And what better way to avoid discussing yourself - discuss me instead. I'll play.

Quote:
look at you as a (now maybe disillusioned) MorphOS/Genesi supporter

As far as the Amiga community goes, I would first and foremost place myself as a disillusioned Amigan. Grew up with Amigas since mid-80s and I used to do user-group work and local Amiga journalism (mainstream print press) for years before I ever heard of MorphOS or Genesi for that matter. I think for a while I gave a lot back to the Amiga community through these channels, but others may judge if that has any significance. Years taught a thing or two about the state of the Amiga market and the community too, hence the eventual disillusionment. (I still do cherish the memory of how good Amiga was in the 1980s and the OS well into the 1990s!) I was there working with UGN when Jim Collas made his (final) London appearance, for example. I remember meeting Collas with some guys at the back of the Amiga booth to discuss how to improve the Amiga user-group situation in Europe.

I did get excited for a while about MorphOS and Genesi (they were the first to bring out "next-gen" software and hardware) and always considered the AmigaONE hardware no match for the Pegasos (and history proved that one right). Genesi supported our local user group greatly, unlike Amiga Inc. whom sent only empty promises. Oh and, how I do miss the Petro days in some ways. He was great, even if the progress wasn't there. As for Genesi, I was mostly disillusioned by BBRV, their inability to understand how they were burning bridges wherever they went, not by the performance of bPlan or the MorphOS team. Of course this combined with the slowing down of development the excitement was short-lived. These days I don't think I'm rooting for anyone. Maybe AROS, if anything.

Quote:
in this discussion I view you an XBox 360 fan

If I wasn't, you certainly made me one. Your support of the PS3 is so outrageous at times it is easy to feel for the other side. But you really should believe me when I say this: it wasn't more than a month or two ago that I was still very much going to buy a PS3 come March. I have outlined my reasons for changing my opinion in this thread. If that makes me a Xbox 360 fan, so be it. I guess I know what my current preference is - that may change.

Quote:
not really someone without bias towards me

If I had forgotten my bias for you in the beginning of this discussion, I certainly do now have a bias, so can't argue that.

Quote:
on the other hand never try to delude people in this regard, I underline my own bias

I do not agree, I think you paint yourself as far more objective observer than I ever do. My postings are usually filled with much more doubt and room for acknowledgeing mistakes than you, just look at the last few posts. I at least try to be open for different interpretations.

Now, as for that quote you picked out of nowhere. Fine, let us look at it closely:

Me quoting me:

Quote:
Genesi for instance has nurtured a really productive community relationship with the Phoenix people, something that Amiga Inc. failed to do. Genesi has been very supportive of user groups and bought along many people from the community to advance MorphOS. MorphOS too is a huge group effort and Genesi has partnered with many other people to bring several operating systems to the Pegasos. How is this not co-operation?

I don't remember (you didn't provide a link unfortunately) what the context was, so I guess I was trying to say Genesi was co-operating with people? I don't know if that was before or after Genesi supported our user-group, but I remember how Amiga Inc. failed to deliver every time and Genesi arranged for personal attendance and free products for our user-group to hand out to people. That was certainly one thing they were far stronger at than Amiga Inc. Petro was even better during the Gateway days, of course. I still remember those three huge crates Petro sent to my house for Saku 99 event, full of Amiga goodies to hand out (including three A1200 Magic Packs we raffled out). Oh, the days. Before you say "we were bought", we always gave everything away and even bought some e.g. Amiga Inc. products with our own money to show to people (at events that at times gathered hundreds of visitors, including people like Petro, Jens, Michael Battilana) because they didn't send free ones.... We supported everyone we could, we felt that was the only way. In hindsight I can now see who supported us and who did not.

But now I digress, sorry.

Back to my undated posting. Genesi did partner with many people to provide operating systems for the Pegasos, to this day many thank them for providing free hardware for instance. They knew how to seed stuff. Obviously this leads inevitably also to some of BBRV's stupidest mistakes, such as the BSD debacle. I don't know who is to blame in that really, but BBRV sticking to their guns and digging in didn't help at all. I mentioned earlier in this thread burning bridges, as good as BBRV was seeding new development (and supporting people), they were also masters in burning bridges when things didn't go quite the way they though they should go. Massive personality issues IMHO. Feel free to try to dig up quotes from me saying all this to BBRV, they are out there in the public as well.

I sincerely don't recall what Genesi did with Phoenix and what I was referring to. gary_c might be able to better answer if they did anything of benefit. Maybe they didn't, I don't remember. What I still give Genesi credit for is that they at least tried. They tried to activate the community and also gave back things, didn't just sell like, say, Amiga Inc. usually did (be that coupons or whatnot) and say nice things emails they never followed up. We spent for more time trying to activate Amiga Inc. than we ever did (or would have done) with Genesi. Genesi was there for us, Amiga not.

Obviously Amiga owed us nothing. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying Genesi knew how to make friends (just as later on they unfortunately knew how make enemies).

That was the co-operation part. As for why I did like Genesi for a while as much as I did was MOST IMPORTANTLY that they released product that I feld was worthy of interest or maybe even a little praise, unlike Amiga Inc. at that time.

Quote:
Is the MorphOS community really in a better position than AmigaOS4 community currently is?

Probably not, but when I was writing what I was writing the signs were good and Genesi was doing thing in the community instead of just promises (who could have known the airline thing in Europe happened and thus Thendic went down). Hey, aren't you the one who always says Amiga Inc. didn't know things would go wrong, they never wanted to do wrong by anyone? I don't think Genesi intended it to go this way either, but still, I *do* blame them at least partly for it.

I think MorphOS is in fact in a worse position than OS4 because BBRV stuck to their guns in the aftermath of the financial issues and development/releases dried up/somewhat. BBRV should have handled that one differently and it was one of the last straws for me. I don't know if they were wrong or right, but either way they should have handled it differently. Of course I wouldn't have done what some developers did either, but I do place a lot of blame on Genesi's side, no doubts there. MorphOS hasn't been able to really recover IMHO from the lost momentum that happened there.

Who knows what the future holds for either, but I'm not really hoping for anything anymore.

Quote:
Sure Bill Buck and Ralph Schmidt may be optimistic in regard to running MorphOS on Efika boards and Ralph earlier dissed the possibility of running MorphOS on the PS3, unlike Hyperion and Amiga Inc have, but does the MorphOS community really prefer to be running on the Efika instead?

Personally I don't really care anymore and I don't know why you ask me. As a general notion, I would certainly like for AmigaOS and MorphOS to be released on as many platforms as possible. I still cherish many memories. And agree with what I signed when Seehund posted his petition.

Quote:
I think a majority of MorphOS enthusiasts would have preferred if Ralph would have been more open minded towards the PS3, Amiga and Cell.

About PS3 and Cell, I'm sure many would. As for Amiga? What do you mean by Amiga - AmigaONE? I'm equally sure not many would be interesting in that.

Last edited by jtsiren on 21-Feb-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Last edited by jtsiren on 21-Feb-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Last edited by jtsiren on 21-Feb-2007 at 02:59 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 14:56:51
#938 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Quote:
partners and to include sexual orientation in its corporate nondiscrimination policy. Microsoft has supported legislation on nondiscrimination policies in the workplace.
In other countries this is the default business ethic by law.
Unfortunately it's NOT in the USA. If this is a good policy it's good to have one of the heavy weights behind it.

Quote:
Quote:
Again consult your history Apple's denial of allowing BeOS run on their hardware and then the inability for the 2 to merge and instead Apple buying NeXT

What Apple does with their hardware is their own business. If they want to use NeXT instead what's the problem

I agree but the fault wasn't Apple's the fault was the bad management at Be. They somehow decided Apple hardware would run their OS then got in trouble when they couldn't get Apple to agree with their desires.

As for buying off cases against one's company -- this is likely more a criticism of the way capital centeralizes under corporations as designed by a captialist system. As it's not only Microsoft that had done this.

Last edited by BrianK on 21-Feb-2007 at 03:14 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 15:08:23
#939 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

I will read your whole post later on, sorry.

Quote:
About PS3 and Cell, I'm sure many would. As for Amiga? What do you mean by Amiga - AmigaONE? I'm equally sure not many would be interesting in that.

Amiga Inc wanted to work with Thendic and bPlan in the past. The first with regard to AmigaDE for a PDA which never materialized and the latter regard to AmigaOS4, the Pegasos was announced by Amiga Inc as becoming an AmigaOne at some point.

I know from experience gained from Phoenix Ralph isn't someone who is easy to work with or discuss interests with.

With regard to my writing style you might as well accept it, I don't know what to change. I will highlight or underline text whenever I think this makes things clearer, I will continue to be enthusiastic and positive towards efforts or things I view as having potential. I will counter-attack those I consider having hidden agendas.

Now let's get back on topic!

Last edited by MikeB on 21-Feb-2007 at 03:33 PM.

jtsiren 
Posted on 21-Feb-2007 15:16:18
#940 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:

Amiga Inc wanted to work with Thendic and bPlan in the past. The first with regard to AmigaDE for a PDA which never materialized and the latter regard to AmigaOS4, the Pegasos was announced by Amiga Inc as becoming an AmigaOne at some point.

I know from experience from Phoenix Ralph isn't someone who you is easy to work with or discuss interests with.

OK, I now understand your point. I think it fell through on both sides (one can say Amiga Inc. hasn't always been so reasonable or realistic with their requests either), but I don't doubt Ralph is likely a difficult (yet productive) person to work with.

I think it would have been great back when if MorphOS would have become AmigaOS. This community might actually have some good things going for them in that case, instead of this current situation.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle