Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 84 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

zipper,  Jose

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Jose:  1 min ago
 zipper:  1 min ago
 matthey:  21 mins ago
 t0lkien:  25 mins ago
 pixie:  30 mins ago
 Rob:  37 mins ago
 amigakit:  58 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 leadman:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  IBrowse crashes
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Futaura 
Re: IBrowse crashes
Posted on 1-Apr-2011 21:11:31
#41 ]

@samo79

Quote:
Quote:
The IBrowse development team has always been fully co-operative with any developer who wishes to develop a plugin for IBrowse - it was the biggest new feature added to 2.4 from a development point of view. IIRC, I already provided the developer of the Gnash port with the necessary PluginAPI files to build a plugin for IBrowse, but it seems he is not interested.

Yep, That's not what I meant.A plugin support in IBrowse would be ok, what is useless IMHO is create a new Flash plugin implementation rathen than create one based to Gnash or SWFdec

I'm still not sure I understand what you're getting at. Obviously it is pointless creating a new flash plugin from scratch without using any existing code. Which was the case back in 2002 when Stefan first had flash up and running in IBrowse. Back then Olivier Debon's libflash was the only existing open source flash implementation available which pre-dates Gnash and SWFdec by a few years. This code was use in Paul Hill's swfplayer which was initially used as a basis for the flash plugin in IBrowse, AFAIK. Paul modified/improved the libflash code in swfplayer starting in 1999, and Alexandre Balaban after him. Mike Steed also decided to use libflash as a basis for his own FlashPlayer first released in 2004, which again contained modified/improved libflash code. Back in 2006 when IBrowse 2.4 was released, this was the best flash implementation available. And since then FlashPlayer has been developed further still. I don't see why Mike should dump his code and swap it for Gnash. Anybody is welcome to create a Gnash based plugin for IBrowse if they wish.

Profile     Report this post  
Futaura 
Posted on 1-Apr-2011 22:40:17
#42 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
And BTW, hate to say it but IBrowse does have at least one bug. The cache code is buggy, if it runs out of space IBrowse will crash.

Do you happen to still have the complete crashlog for this? Also, which filesystem does your caches volume use? I cannot reproduce these crashes here with 2.4 with cache on a full JXFS partition - just get loads of disk full requesters, which I cancel. One possibility is that the GlobalCache file got corrupted because a write failed (e.g. cancel clicked on disk full requester). Need to look into this further just in case.

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Apr-2011 10:51:41
#43 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Oops sorry I was thinking of 3.0 when I wrote that. It's been so long, perhaps four years, since 3.0 was coming that I thought this 2.5 spoken about was the big one.

Xenic 
Posted on 2-Apr-2011 16:49:56
#44 ]

@sundown
Quote:
I agree 68K emulation is a problem, from crash logs, I put the following files on the black list, IB crashes are very rare now.

I only blacklisted IBrowse (the IBrowse Javascript library was blacklisted by default) and that alone made a world of difference. Almost all my OS4 crash & freeze problems disappeared. I seldom use IBrowse for anything but downloads (D/L manager still the best in my view). Since someone mentioned cache issues, I'm going to clean out my huge IBrowse cache.

hotrod 
Posted on 2-Apr-2011 16:57:19
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Hehe, good to be right for once . Anyway 3.0 coming true is the big wet dream . I do wonder if Stefan will ever get the interest up again, it doesn't seem like it and it really hurts since IBrowse is my prefered browser as well.

redfox 
Posted on 2-Apr-2011 17:32:23
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic
@sundown

I don't use IBrowse very much, but the only time it crashes for me is if I try to quit before it is finished rendering a webpage. A few times I got the IBrowse network error, but it is very rare.

On my system, the IBrowse Javascript library is blacklisted by default. I have IBrowse (along with most of my other programs) on one of my JXFS partions. Disk cache is currently set to PROGDIR:Cache/ which I believe is defaut.

A long time ago I changed my startup-sequence to add some CHIPRAM for PPaint. I do not know if this helps IBrowse, but IBrowse did not crash as often after I made this change.

C:SetPatch ADDCHIPRAM 2 QUIET

---
redfox

Futaura 
Posted on 2-Apr-2011 18:11:37
#47 ]

javascript.library being blacklisted hails back to the IB2.3 days, because Petenia couldn't handle some of the 68k opcodes that the SAS/C math lib was using, IIRC.

It's a moot point because IB2.4 came with an OS4 native javascript.library.

kas1e 
Posted on 2-Apr-2011 18:33:52
#48 ]
Elite Member

@Futaura

Just in interest, its really that for you reaction-owb starts slower and works slower, in compare with VNC/FF on win ? I mean for me on peg2/1ghz, owb starts in 1-2 seconds. And ou mui-owb port which are in the debug-mode for now, starts in 2-3 seconds as well (check that video). I think 1-2 seconds on startup, its very good deal if you want all the modern stuff like css, dom, js and all the other stuff.

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 2-Apr-2011 18:36:10
#49 ]
Cult Member

I've never had IBrowse crashing on me on OS4... am i lucky?
I still use it from time to time, mainly for the download manager. I use NetSurf too... i like having many choices so thank you all

Futaura 
Posted on 2-Apr-2011 19:39:22
#50 ]

@kas1e

Here the OWB window opens in 4 seconds, but it takes a further 24 seconds after that before it starts to load/display the first website (any one). Not only that but I find general loading/rendering speed to be faster when using Firefox via VNC than I do from OWB natively.

sundown 
Posted on 2-Apr-2011 22:25:19
#51 ]
Elite Member

@Futaura

Quote:
Here the OWB window opens in 4 seconds,

OWB loads urlhistory.xml on startup, over time it grows & slows down the startup time. You can write & read protect urlhistory.xml so it can't grow or be read. OWB starts in about 1 sec for me.

Xenic 
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 1:28:52
#52 ]

@redfox
Quote:
C:SetPatch ADDCHIPRAM 2 QUIET

I added that a long time ago for another program but maybe it helps with IBrowse too.

Xenic 
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 1:41:27
#53 ]

@Futaura
I open OWB with a local file loaded in the window and it is about as close to instant as I've ever experienced. However, because I'm on dialup the Internet isn't connected until after OWB is open.

Futaura 
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 10:23:30
#54 ]

@Xenic

Well, yes, it appears something related to using network protocols rather than local files. Deleting urlhistory.xml didn't help, but deleting the cookies file did - it was only 60K in size. It was much faster, but after browsing a few sites with OWB, the cookie file has grown to 6K and it's already starting to slow down again. There's some grossly inefficient code in there somewhere. I guess I'm partly spoilt by the speed of IBrowse 2.5 - IMHO, the only good thing OWB-ReAction has going for it is the CSS/DOM engine in that pages "look right".

Hypex 
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 15:59:04
#55 ]
Elite Member

@Futaura

Quote:
I agree in general, but what I wrote above is why I insist that many of the IB crashes, particularly the unexplained ones, are due to the 68k emulation

I've discussed things like this with the author of Petunia and no doubt a bug is somewhere. Finding where is the problem, and I suggest three places to look; the 68k software, the emulator or the OS.

Quote:
Yet, the native version did not crash like the 68k version did

Yes that would be a clue. But we also have two emulators, one safer, which gives us four places to look.

Quote:
I'll take a look at your cache disk full problem - it's not something I've heard about before, and my cache volume often runs out of space

Thanks. First time I came across it as well. I thought the internet had finally killed off IBrowse.

Hypex 
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 16:15:46
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Futaura

Quote:
Do you happen to still have the complete crashlog for this?

Yes I have two. Will send across

Quote:
Also, which filesystem does your caches volume use?

SmartFilesystem 1.286.

Quote:
I cannot reproduce these crashes here with 2.4 with cache on a full JXFS partition - just get loads of disk full requesters, which I cancel.

The bug could lie in SFS then.

Quote:
One possibility is that the GlobalCache file got corrupted because a write failed (e.g. cancel clicked on disk full requester). Need to look into this further just in case.

That's possible but I don't remember any disk full requesters. It just went straight into crashing. Which was strange as the week before it was fine.

Hypex 
Posted on 3-Apr-2011 16:23:40
#57 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Quote:
I do wonder if Stefan will ever get the interest up again, it doesn't seem like it and it really hurts since IBrowse is my prefered browser as well.

OWB may look nice these days but yes IBrowse too is my favorite.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle