Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  14 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  21 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 cip060:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 blmara:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 9 mins ago
 pavlor:  4 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OS4.1 Final Edition help/tips/hints thread
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
kilaueabart 
Re: OS4.1 Final Edition help/tips/hints thread
Posted on 22-Jan-2015 7:40:39
#121 ]
Cult Member

@Tomppeli

The R^Alt key in my backed up 4.6.1 no longer works as R^A! I'll have to copy this in by hand.

Here are the Radeon relative files in my Kickstarts:

Kickstart 416
ATIRadeon.chip 170988 rw-d 16-Jul-13
RadeonHD.chip 1657872 rwed 16-Jul-13
RadeonHD.chip.debug 1691512 rwed 18-Jul-13
(out of 65 files)

Kickstart FE
ATIRadeon.chip 171240 rwed 22-Nov-14
RadeonHD.chip 1648260 rwed 22-Nov-14
RadeonHD.chip.debug 1686240 22-Nov-14
(out of 64 files)

The ones in my backed-up 4.1.6 are indeed different from the ones in FE, but why don't they work the way they did before I moved them?

Profile     Report this post  
kilaueabart 
Posted on 22-Jan-2015 19:45:55
#122 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Assuming by "menu" you're referring to the list of devices in the delayed boot screen, yes, both 4.6.1 (dh4) and FE (dh0) are listed. That's how I get to this backup so I can get on line. But I must have done something wrong when I backed it up. A lot of stuff doesn't work right (I have to remember what one does to stop Odyssey doing the fonts every time, for one thing, and whatever I did to make the R^Alt key function as R^A needs to be redone; senile dementia isn't helping a bit).

I listed last night the various Radeon files in the two Kickstarts. Maybe I should buy a new copy (assuming I can remember who sells it).

My internet comes through a DSL modem supplied by my phone company, to the X1000 via a cable/DSL router. I tried to skip the router once, but couldn't make it work without it. I'm pretty sure I have successfully used the connection wizard in the past, probably when I first got OS4 on my XE, possibly when I got my SAM460? I don't recall using it when I fairly recently got my X1000, and my attempts to use it now fail. For one thing it asks me for a mysterious password that I don't seem to have recorded anywhere; impossible if I've used it more than once. For now I must rely on this 4.6.1 backup, or Ubuntu, or my wifi tablet. Too bad, because FE looks like it would really be nice if I get the screen size right.

broadblues 
Posted on 22-Jan-2015 22:20:57
#123 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@kilaueabart

It's been explained to you several times (to you and others) but you aren't paying attention

Read this very carefully, **DO NOT** ignore it.

YOU ARE LOADING KICKSTART FROM YOUR FE PARTITION EVEN WHEN BOOTING FROM YOUR BACKED UP 4.1u6

Right enough shouting, I'll try an explain nicely again.

By default when you boot amigaboot.of finds the highest priority partition on the HD attached to the Sata 0 or 1 ports, or if all bootable partitions are at the same priority the first one it finds, and loads kickstart from it.

Then it hands over to kickstart which will boot from the higheste priority disk on *any* disk attached (even USB).

You can interupt this with early startup press both mouse buttons thing, anf choose a diferent system boot. BUT THE KICKSTART was already loaded, it isn'y loaded again.

So when you choose your 4.1u6 backup from the early startup you are booting 4.1u6 with FE kickstart so that is why you get the wrong radeonHD driver being used.

I'm quite suprised it even boots actually, it certainly wouldn't the other way round. ie FE with 4.1u6 kickstart really wont work.

How to solve

1. Copy the RadeonHD driver from 4.1u6 to FE (and only that!)
2. Reboot into FE
3. Configure your network from scratch using the new connection wizard in SYS:Inetrnet

In the longer term if you wish to continue to choose to boot inot either version of the OS you will need to do one of two things>

Either: Increase the boot priority of the 4.1u6 partition in MediaToolBox to a couple of points higher than the FE one. Then reduce it again when you want to boot back into FE

Or modify you CFE settings to enable the booting menu that most betatesters use.

MENU_0_LABEL=AmigaOS 4.x
MENU_1_LABEL=AmigaOS Install CD Boot
MENU_1_COMMAND=setenv amigaboot_quiet Y ; boot -fs=iso atapi0.1:amigaboot.of
MENU_2_LABEL=Linux Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
MENU_3_LABEL=Linux Install CD Boot
MENU_2_COMMAND=set pmu -astate=A4 ; setenv bootargs \
MENU_3_COMMAND=set pmu -astate=A4 ; batch -fs=iso atapi0.1:bootdvd0.1
MENU_DEFAULT=0
MENU_TIMEOUT=6
MENU_0_COMMAND=setenv os4_bootdevice "auto"; boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of

Look at the last setting for MENU_0_COMMAND add that to your CFE, it causes amigaboot.of to scan all partitions and load kickstart and boot from the same partition. Giving a menu when there is more than 1 choice.

Unfortunatly nvsetvar doesn't work for X1000 so you need to go inot CFE itself at start up and type it in by hand.

Last edited by broadblues on 22-Jan-2015 at 10:21 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 22-Jan-2015 22:24:57
#124 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@kilaueabart

Quote:

I listed last night the various Radeon files in the two Kickstarts. Maybe I should buy a new copy (assuming I can remember who sells it).

Don't do that. As long as you registered it you can download 1.2 for free, from AEON / AmiStore.

You *will* however want to buy the 2.4 driver to get the advanced video performance. (unless you don't care about that).

kilaueabart 
Posted on 23-Jan-2015 1:34:15
#125 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

I finally downloaded and installed AmiStore, but I haven't been able to find a way to register an account!

kilaueabart 
Posted on 23-Jan-2015 2:15:06
#126 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

Thanks for that. Actually I had just a couple hours ago seen someone on the Hyperion forums being directed to p. 10 of the Firmware and Booting Guide, so I pulled out my copy and went to CFE and made MENU_2_COMMAND look like your MENU_0_COMMAND. But so far it refuses to give me the OS4.1.6 option, listing only FE, which it proceeds to boot. So I'm back to the two-mouse-button approach for now.

Moving the RadeonHD.chip file worked wonders. I can see I still have a lot of work ahead of me on FE. E.g. I can't open PageStream properly. I'm going to need that badly in a few days. (Maybe it'll still work in 4.1.6 -- I'll find out in a few minutes.)

I can't do anything with the new connection wizard. It asks for a "login" and a "password," and I have no idea what those would be. I hope I can find out from my phone company.

mr2 
Posted on 23-Jan-2015 8:32:54
#127 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

https://secure.a-eon.biz/register_user.php

A little bit hidden, isn't it?

Tuxedo 
Posted on 23-Jan-2015 18:06:16
#128 ]
Elite Member

@ALL

just installed on my Pegasos2 but got a werid problem...

No AHI 0 unit working...

only VIA-AC97 but AmigaAMP dont recognize it... whats wrong with default installation?

EDIT:

solved, for some weird reason no UNIT 0 - 3 defined in AHI prefs...I defined it by hand(I'm bit out of exercise...)

Last edited by Tuxedo on 23-Jan-2015 at 10:47 PM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 1:30:30
#129 ]
Cult Member

@mr2

Thank you.

After I registered, I was unable to log in. They wanted my "user name," but there was no such item in the application, just "First name," "Last name," and "Nickname." I tried nickname, then first name + last name, then gave up with two tries to go.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 2:08:21
#130 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

According to the example in AmigaONE X1000, Firmware and Booting Guide, p. 6, it doesn't have to be MENU_0_COMMAND. But I have looked at it over and over again, and I see no difference between your MENU_0 and my MENU_2. Nevertheless, AmigaOS Menu comes up with only one option: FE.

Where could the problem be? There is one difference between my FE partition (hard drive at 0, 0) and my 4.1.6 partition (2, 0). FE is in SFS\02 while 4.1.6 is SFS\00. (The boot priorities are of course also different, "0" for the first, "-1" for the second.)

There is a line in the named manual, 2nd paragraph from the end of p. 10, that seems to suggest I might have the opposite problem; I must not understand it correctly:

"..., all SATA and IDE devices are scanned for partitions which are set as AmigaOS bootable, using the FFS2 or SFS (not SFS2) file systems ..." In my case SFS2 is the only one that does work.

I suppose I should get quickly to CFE and see if "show devices" has any hints.

Tuxedo 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 9:59:39
#131 ]
Elite Member

@ALL

ok, now I managed a problem with clock...

When opening prefs program "Time" it says something regarding a batclok.resource or something similar dont found and my clock give me fake times...

Any solution? Dont seems a clock batery problem since it worked fine the previous day with AmigaOS4.1.6

K-L 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 10:28:41
#132 ]

@Tuxedo

Maybe related to this trouble ?

broadblues 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 11:23:46
#133 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@kilaueabart

Quote:

Where could the problem be? There is one difference between my FE partition (hard drive at 0, 0) and my 4.1.6 partition (2, 0). FE is in SFS\02 while 4.1.6 is SFS\00. (The boot priorities are of course also different, "0" for the first, "-1" for the second.)

Sorry I don;t understand your 0,0 and 2,0 are both partitions on the same disk? amigaboot.of can only load kickstart from SATA 0 (usually HD) and SATA 1 ( usually CD)

If they *are* on the same disk then perhaps try prioritites of 1, 0 rather than 0, -1

An no ofcourse MENU_0 / MENU_3 makes no difference, the advantage of choosing 0 is it goes to the menu by default, so no quick pressing of keys required.

Metalheart 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 11:30:42
#134 ]
Elite Member

I noticed that Odyssey is not as responsive as it was.

After loading a page it seems to lock for a second or so (one blue ''light'' in the right corner lights up)
Menu's, cursor, window slider... nothing can be used that few seconds. The OS itself remains untouched.

Thats everytime a page is loaded.
The CPU is at 100 % during loading.

Is this normal ? I dont recall this with upd 6.

Last edited by Metalheart on 24-Jan-2015 at 11:34 AM.

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 14:32:06
#135 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:
Assuming by "menu" you're referring to the list of devices in the delayed boot screen, yes, both 4.6.1 (dh4) and FE (dh0) are listed.

Yes that sounds about right. The menu presented from the AmigaBoot (OpenFirmware) bootloader.

I don't recall if you need to set a BootDevice in the Kicklayout to specify the boot volume. I know picking between volumes at boot up is easier on the X1000.

I'd suggest picking a volume and then after Kickstart loads hold down the mouse buttons to get the early startup menu and see if the volume it has selected to boot matches the volume you picked.

Quote:
My internet comes through a DSL modem supplied by my phone company, to the X1000 via a cable/DSL router.

Do you know if this is the old type where you need to enter user/pass details for each machine? A modern one would keep these details for you and presemt a generic interface to the computer to easily connect. I think the key here is how your other devices connect. Do they need your DSL user/pass to connect?

If you using the DSL method in the internet wizard try using the borttom LAN option wirth auto settings instead.

Quote:
I pulled out my copy and went to CFE and made MENU_2_COMMAND look like your MENU_0_COMMAND

I wouldn't worry about that yet. You only need to set these up for AmigaOS if you have an advanced setup. I have three AmigaOS volumes on my X1000 and each can be booted with its Kickstart from the OF menu with the hard to use controls.

That reminds me, where is your amigaboot.of file stored? This needs to be in the root of a FFS partition to load. Assuming you get the OF menu it must be loading?

broadblues 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 15:08:13
#136 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hypex

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about that yet. You only need to set these up for AmigaOS if you have an advanced setup. I have three AmigaOS volumes on my X1000 and each can be booted with its Kickstart from the OF menu with the hard to use controls.

Errm you are describing the "easy to use" controls ie the OF boot menu. If you don;y have that setup you say not worry about, then you wont get the second menu and so have to boot sepaerate volumes from the CFE command line (which I'm not even going to try and explain how to do).

Tuxedo 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 15:12:39
#137 ]
Elite Member

@K-L

dunno...

But was at least werid that the day before with AmigaOS4.1.6 all was ok and the say after with 4.1Final get that problem...no ?

PS Yes wasnt found battclock.resource

EDIT:

The time was resetted to 19 january at 3 am after every soft reset...if was the clock battery untill turn off machine the clock havent to remeber the time? I'm wrong?

Last edited by Tuxedo on 24-Jan-2015 at 03:22 PM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 20:06:09
#138 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

I think you may have found my problem. "0, 0" and "2, 0" are the "Id, LUN" of two hard drives.

If both partitions have to be on the same disk, that is a requirement that I somehow failed to notice.

It may be touchy to fix. All the empty space on both disks, over 600 GB in both cases, has been usurped by Ubuntu when I wasn't looking. I don't want to take a chance on losing Ubuntu until after I get at least one OS4 working right.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 21:28:55
#139 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Quote:
My internet comes through a DSL modem supplied by my phone company, to the X1000 via a cable/DSL router.

Do you know if this is the old type where you need to enter user/pass details for each machine? A modern one would keep these details for you and presemt a generic interface to the computer to easily connect. I think the key here is how your other devices connect. Do they need your DSL user/pass to connect?

If you using the DSL method in the internet wizard try using the borttom LAN option wirth auto settings instead.

The X1000 is the only device connected to the modem by wire. Otherwise, all wifi, by one of the numbers printed on the modem. I'll try that LAN option when I get back to OS4; I'm using Ubuntu right now so I can copy and paste.

Quote:

That reminds me, where is your amigaboot.of file stored? This needs to be in the root of a FFS partition to load. Assuming you get the OF menu it must be loading?

It's on the disk at ID 0, LUN 0. If I understand Broadblues correctly, to be bootable, an AOS must be on that same disk, and that is why my OS4.1.6 won't get booted by CFE command from DH4: on a disk at ID 2, LUN 0. But the delayed boot (mouse button) menu shows everything. Doesn't it depend on the .of file? But sure enough, CFE > "show devices" doesn't seem to list it. (I posted the list I got in one of the other threads I've been getting help in, but no one has commented.)

I need to clear space on the 0, 0 disk somehow (I may lose Ubuntu in the process!) and move DH4: over.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 24-Jan-2015 22:06:43
#140 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:

If you using the DSL method in the internet wizard try using the bottom LAN option with auto settings instead.

Whee! That did it! I'm on via FE!

My mind is slipping away by the minute. Another thing I can't remember is how to stop all that font stuff when booting Odyssey.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle