Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  18 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 cip060:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 blmara:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 7 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 44 mins ago
 pavlor:  4 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
PosterThread
Overflow 
Re: Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 5:13:11
#401 ]

@TRIPOS

Best example of the pot calling the kettle black Ive seen in a while.

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 8:46:54
#402 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Quote:
I have already explained what you did

oh, thaks. and sorry for quoting you out of context again, ill certainly earn another mark in your diary along with a detailed absolutely objective summary of the content of my post, that ill be presented in points, but actually without yourself making any point.

OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 9:33:21
#403 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

It is a rather weird discussion now

again I can remember the announcement of the netbook and the discussion here and on other sites about how much it costs, what are potential new buyers and applications for it and so on

At that time acube, a-eon and hyperion were seen as unity so nobody asked about the sources because everyone regarded it as official. I cannot remember any of the parties protesting or clarifying that it is uncertain and in early state so everyone thought it is official. Then it was silently stopped later, again without informing anyone.

That is what I and (as I understand it) Yasu can remember. You can say wrong impression but that was how everyone from outside understood it. Today it is obvious that Hyperion and a-eon are very different and partly even going in different directions it seems, but we discussed not about 2015/2016 but several years ago.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 16-Aug-2016 at 09:34 AM.

pavlor 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 15:22:28
#404 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

Now? Look at title of this thread.

tlosm 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 15:29:27
#405 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

this thread is sickly

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

saimo 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 15:51:59
#406 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@saimo

again I can remember the announcement of the netbook and the discussion here and on other sites about how much it costs, what are potential new buyers and applications for it and so on

At that time acube, a-eon and hyperion were seen as unity so nobody asked about the sources because everyone regarded it as official. I cannot remember any of the parties protesting or clarifying that it is uncertain and in early state so everyone thought it is official. Then it was silently stopped later, again without informing anyone.

That is what I and (as I understand it) Yasu can remember. You can say wrong impression but that was how everyone from outside understood it. Today it is obvious that Hyperion and a-eon are very different and partly even going in different directions it seems, but we discussed not about 2015/2016 but several years ago.

Like others before, you are answering to something I did not say - for the umpteenth time: I have provided no information nor expressed any opinion whatsoever regarding the laptop matter. All I did was exposing how Yasu was behaving, making a simple recap of some previous posts. But that was not welcome, and raised a little storm of "inappropriate" (to say the least) answers that simply made this thread worse and less readable.

Now, regarding the matter at hand, there's nothing difficult to understand. This thread has a wealth of simple information (and much of it, if not all, was already public domain). Again without adding anything of my own, here is what has been said here (if I missed anything, feel free to fill the gaps):
a. Hyperion officially announced the laptop project at AmiWest 2011, possibly mentioning a retail price around 400-500 USD or EUR;
b. speculation has it that the project was canned because of an increase in the price of the hardware;
c. Hyperion never announced the cancellation (at least, nobody remembers about an official statement);
d. afterward, A-EON indipendently evaluated the possibility of taking on the challenge, but determined that it was not sound business-wise (official statement from AmigaKit);
e. A-EON never announced a 500 EUR laptop (official statement from AmigaKit).
Points a, b, and c were known (and debated to death) even before this thread. I'm not sure about points d and e as I've lost touch a bit with the Amiga scene in the last years, but anyway AmigaKit provided very clear information at least here.

EDIT
Information provided later by pavlor:
a. The price was 300-400 USD;
c. The cancellation was announced here.
/EDIT

Now, if one really wants to discover more of the truth, this is what is needed:
* digging up the material relative to AmiWest 2011 and seeing if any retail price was mentioned, and also if the project was presented like something that would happen for sure or if cautious words were used;
* since Hyperion does not speak openly anymore, it is useless to hope in an answer from them, especially in such a hateful context like this; all that one can try is to ask politely and without ill intentions (privately or publicly).

Keeping on repeating the same speculation and the same criticism over and over again here will not bring any new element. The only practical effect is crucifying Hyperion once again. And that might well be the purpose of who brought up the matter - in fact:
* it was precisely Yasu who mentioned it in post 301 with the specific objective of presenting a mistake by Hyperion to strenghten the criticism that was being directed at them;
* Yasu, as I explained in detail in post 377, ignored the clear answer he got from AmigaKit and actually attacked AmigaKit;
* Yasu, at the end, in post 393 openly admits that he's asking without even expecting to get an answer.
This behaviour can be defined only as trolling.

Quote:
At that time acube, a-eon and hyperion were seen as unity

Not being able to distinguish between three separate companies, run by different people, and not being able to tell apart their respective projects would be an indication of lack of information or intellectual capabilities. That would not be a responsibility of the companies.

Last edited by saimo on 16-Aug-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 16-Aug-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 16-Aug-2016 at 05:02 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:03:40
#407 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Quote:
Hyperion officially announced the laptop project at AmiWest 2011, possibly mentioning a retail price around 400-500 USD or EUR;

Well, Steven Solie announced netbook for 300-400 USD. But one can hardly call this official announcement (there was no press release on Hyperion´s site).

Quote:
Hyperion never announced the cancellation (at least, nobody remembers about an official statement);

End of netbook project was announced on AmigaOS development blog. This was after A-Eon involvement.

amigakit 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:10:28
#408 ]
Amiga Kit

@pavlor

Quote:
Well, Steven Solie announced netbook for 300-400 USD. But one can hardly call this official announcement (there was no press release on Hyperion´s site).

I was there at Amiwest on the day. Steven told us it was an announcement directly from Hyperion. He then relayed that message to the Amiwest crowd, reading from a written statement.

It was a $250 to $500 price which proved impossible to match in an independent commercial review of it later on.

Last edited by amigakit on 16-Aug-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 16-Aug-2016 at 04:12 PM.

tlosm 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:10:30
#409 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

can i be realistic?
a Netbook 300 - 400 usd with powerpc hw for amigaos will be not possible...
... a true price for a small number of machine based on amcc 440 can be 1000 usd
im sure not more than 200 units of this netbook will be sold ... and for sure i will never buy it .
I had an acer aspire one .... and the netbook are the worst computer in the world

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

pavlor 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:32:38
#410 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Quote:
Steven told us it was an announcement directly from Hyperion. He then relayed that message to the Amiwest crowd, reading from a written statement.

Right.

Quote:
It was a $250 to $500 price which proved impossible to match in an independent commercial review of it later on.

Steven talked about 300 to 400 USD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=526MH9bHHdU (after 0:40).

pavlor 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:36:13
#411 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:
a Netbook 300 - 400 usd with powerpc hw for amigaos will be not possible...

That was no new project, only rebranded LimeBook, which was sold even for less (200 USD).

Quote:
im sure not more than 200 units of this netbook will be sold ... and for sure i will never buy it .

For estimated target price, it would be least expensive OS4 computer ever - and even portable. It would sell like hot cake.

saimo 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:55:11
#412 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
Quote:
Hyperion never announced the cancellation (at least, nobody remembers about an official statement);

End of netbook project was announced on AmigaOS development blog. This was after A-Eon involvement.

You're right, thanks for this!
Announcement
Now that I see it, I remember about it.

saimo 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:58:14
#413 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor @amigakit

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@amigakit

Quote:
Steven told us it was an announcement directly from Hyperion. He then relayed that message to the Amiwest crowd, reading from a written statement.

Right.

Quote:

Steven talked about 300 to 400 USD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=526MH9bHHdU (after 0:40).

Thanks clarifying this beyond any imaginable doubt.

K-L 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 17:57:00
#414 ]

@Thread

Could someone change the the topic since it's obvioulsy wrong ? And anyway noone is talking anymore about the subject.

Signal 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 22:28:00
#415 ]
Cult Member

@K-L
Quote:

K-L wrote:
@Thread
Could someone change the the topic since it's obvioulsy wrong ? And anyway noone is talking anymore about the subject.

I say NO!. It was not a 'fake' report.

Carry on.

Hypex 
Posted on 19-Aug-2016 17:49:26
#416 ]
Elite Member

@Shamron

Quote:
I think this comes from an way above average love and hope for a greater future for Amiga, immense amounts of loyalty and a bottomless feeling of helplessness. I am guessing, i'm not the only Amigan advocating Amiga and its superiority on all fields, long into this millenium.

Thankyou for your post, as belated as this is. Yes the above could probably describe me too. I like to support the Amiga and use the OS. But I also get a bit critcal. Pointing things out wrong with the Amiga platform, be that OS4 or a machine, won't change things and get them working as they should. Contributing or supporting others that do will help. Even if in another area.

Quote:
brought my A1200 with Apollo 1240 to work (yes, to WORK) at a supermarket, and desperately tried to convince the pc users of it's superior abilities while running demos, real-time raytracing, vortex-shading, texture-mapped toroids and morphing boxes.

Just wondering, was this in the 90's when the Amiga was still relelvant, or much more recently?

Quote:
Edit: why did i have to use a proxy to post? otherwise i got "your location / adress is blocked" ?

Oh no that again. Is your IP static or dynamic? I get it with my dynamic IP, sometimes, possibly after someone from my ISP had my IP before me and malware send spam on their PC.

tlosm 
Posted on 19-Aug-2016 19:21:12
#417 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

i had been pay the acer aspire one 260€ in 2009 with terrible intel gma gpu and acer made more than 500.000 units, this is why i say was not realistic an amigahw with a radeon m9 (probably gpu) for 200/300 usd probably they forget one zero .. annoncement wasjust wapor ... and wapor it is

Last edited by tlosm on 19-Aug-2016 at 07:21 PM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

pavlor 
Posted on 19-Aug-2016 19:28:20
#418 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Again... OS4 netbook was rebranded LimeBook, which sold for mere 200 USD in some markets. Of course, this hardware was outdated even by standards of late 2000s (400 MHz e300 CPU, DIU+MBX Lite as GFX etc.), but estimated price range (300-400 USD) was certainly within reach. Hyperion came too late with this project and manufacturer demanded too high unit price for new batch.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Aug-2016 3:36:14
#419 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
One last, completely off topic question though,.....

Compared to what?

Quote:
How can a persons literacy be so freaking awful? Browsers these days make it nigh on impossible without effort to be that bad at spelling, native tongue or not.

Oh, that's easy. By using an AMIGA browser! Amiga internet software doesn't have standard features like spell checking. And yes, I have even used Wordworth to check my spelling before I posted for big replies. And even save them to disk in the likely event my AmigaOne will freeze during composing. If Amiga browsers could save snapshots to disk like YAM saves drafts I'd feel better about using Amiga software.

kolla 
Posted on 20-Aug-2016 20:22:52
#420 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:

and the netbook are the worst computer in the world

I disagree, I would love to buy a modern sub 10" netbook to take over from my aging EeePC 901 netbooks. I have been looking at EeeBox e202SA, but they are simply too rare to easily get hold of, and also are not sub 10". Netbooks are great traveling companions.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle