Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
33 crawler(s) on-line.
 60 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 danwood:  11 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  19 mins ago
 Rob:  41 mins ago
 Lou:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 t0lkien:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 roar:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  1/4 of the way through the year, H/W? :-(
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
PosterThread
The_Editor 
Re: 1/4 of the way through the year, H/W?
Posted on 15-Mar-2006 22:11:00
#221 ]
Elite Member

@spotUP

I'm bored

Profile     Report this post  
Colin_Camper 
Posted on 15-Mar-2006 23:21:42
#222 ]

@The_Editor

I've been on this site for years and, do you know what? It still amazes me!

Here we have a thread, with information and confirmation of facts and the current situation which is probably just as important as has been for two years - and people are bored.

Yet, we can have totally banal threads commenting on pancakes, amiga sighting from 80's TV, counting threads and people start to get really animated.

Wierd!

Interesting 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 0:13:41
#223 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@polka.

Quote:
Maybe we just should also cancel the PV and Amy'05 release because somebody might use OS4 to hack the Pentagon.

you try and cancel Amy and you will be dealing with me, among several hundred/thousand angry buyers

Interesting 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 0:16:04
#224 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@T_Bone

Quote:
There's no hope at all for "Momentum" at this point, it's just been too long with nothing happening. I'd settle for "movement", any at all.

Momentum Computer is laying off people. Your personal problems are off topic, try exlax or something.

Legion 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 0:37:04
#225 ]
Cult Member

Yeah, what Interesting said! Cancel the PV and they'll find you half-frozen in a snowbank come April, buddy boy...

Last edited by Legion on 16-Mar-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Hondo 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 7:44:39
#226 ]

@T_Bone

Quote:
There's no hope at all for "Momentum" at this point, it's just been too long with nothing happening. I'd settle for "movement", any at all.

I don't belive when the official press release comes, that people will just say "Oh well another system". I belive many will say "Look the Amiga isn't dead, oh i really loved that computer man, hey everybody have you seen this????"

THAT¨'S A MOMENTUM!!

We need to be ready for when it comes. Ready to sell them hardware, software, etc. We need to be kind to them, and stop our arguing here on this site, and show them we are happy and helpful amiga users.

If we can pull this off then we have "Movement".....not before.

T_Bone 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 8:01:03
#227 ]
Elite Member

@Interesting

Quote:

Interesting wrote:
@T_Bone

Quote:

Momentum Computer is laying off people. Your personal problems are off topic, try exlax or something.

I could use some fiber maybe? I'll get an Apple.

T_Bone 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 8:30:54
#228 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo_DK

Quote:

Hondo_DK wrote:
@T_Bone

Quote:

I don't belive when the official press release comes, that people will just say "Oh well another system". I belive many will say "Look the Amiga isn't dead, oh i really loved that computer man, hey everybody have you seen this????"

THAT¨'S A MOMENTUM!!

That's Synergy, but since the OS4 for classics and OS4 for NG hardware arn't markered at the same crowd, it doesn't do any good. You'd be better off letting the market that wants to run OS4 on the classics do so, and market OS4 for NG hardware when you can. You can't gain momentum by waiting on a contingency. The only sales we can count on for a while are from people already following the saga. Better take care of us first, as these are the only guaranteed sales we'll get.

Quote:
We need to be ready for when it comes. Ready to sell them hardware, software, etc. We need to be kind to them, and stop our arguing here on this site, and show them we are happy and helpful amiga users.

What makes you think incoming people won't be the ones bringing up most of the arguements? It's a wild world out there, much less peacefull than any arguements that have happened here about internal subjects. Most of the people who will be buying most of the products being planned, won't be outsiders anyway. The few who do at first, will be the loudest complainers when something ain't right.

So far, Amiga related products haven't had to deal with customers like in any other industry, most just put up with everything.

Quote:
If we can pull this off then we have "Movement".....not before.

Movement needs to happen immediately, because there's no momentum right now. The easy sales to people waiting, arn't going to last forever. People are tired of waiting, it's 2006 and there's plenty of options out there. A lot of people I've talked to have already given up and just come around to talk to familliar people.
people are leaving, if there's cards left, they need to be played not held.

Rogue 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 9:46:44
#229 ]
OS4 Core Developer

Okay, since there seems to be a general misconception about what I have written:

YES there will be a classic version of OS 4.

I never said it won't come out. I just said that AT THIS POINT in time, it would be too much effort and therefore it will not come out BEFORE the A1 version is finished.

I hope this clears it up.

Rogue 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 9:57:55
#230 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Troels

Quote:
I don't see him comparing OS4 or it's developers with anything Nazi.

Well I didn't claim so, I just said I find it tasteless to come up with such a comparison.

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 9:58:35
#231 ]

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
Okay, since there seems to be a general misconception about what I have written:

YES there will be a classic version of OS 4.

I never said it won't come out. I just said that AT THIS POINT in time, it would be too much effort and therefore it will not come out BEFORE the A1 version is finished.

I hope this clears it up.

And if the A1 version is finished before any new harware is in sight the classic version may be released ?

Or if I turn it the otherway around. If no new hardware is in sight for a loong time will the A1 version ever be finished and thus make way for the classic version ?

Rogue 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 10:01:04
#232 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@WOSPUPOS4

Quote:
Or if I turn it the otherway around. If no new hardware is in sight for a loong time will the A1 version ever be finished and thus make way for the classic version ?

I don't expect new hardware to take so long.

hatschi 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 10:09:13
#233 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Thanks for the clarification, rereading your post, I must admit that it could easily be misunderstood.

Quote:

Alright, but I always had the impression that OS4 was already 99% finished in late December:

"quadpol: What will the final version contain that's missing for update 4?
EntilZha: Not much. Basically, it's very near to what would have been the final release
EntilZha: There are some bits and pieces that we will only release in the final version..."

Now it's already March... No doubt, you have the possibility of "stretching" the release schedule now, since no new hardware is available. But then, the real reason for not releasing it for BPPC/CSPPC is that we don't have new hardware - and not that OS4 is not finished yet!

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 10:22:27
#234 ]

@hatschi

@Rogue

Well, IMO this is encouraging. It would only make sense to 'hold off' a classic release if they were very confident of a hardware release in less than a few months.

Reading between the lines, Rogues posts look quite upbeat.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 10:39:15
#235 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Sorry to bother you, again, Rogue.

What's your vision for the next six months for the Hardware/Software situation? Is there a possibility that someone else can be involved in a new project? There are clear positive signals for the amiga future? What can do an amiga users to collaborate?

Thank you and good work.

Rogue 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 10:45:32
#236 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@hatschi

Quote:
Alright, but I always had the impression that OS4 was already 99% finished in late December:

The fact that there was no hardware to release it allowed us to continue working on things that we deemed important but wouldn't have fit into the intended schedule.

And besides, there never was any statement about the classic version involved. The classic version lacks driver support, as I have stated before.

hatschi 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 10:58:47
#237 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue
Quote:
And besides, there never was any statement about the classic version involved. The classic version lacks driver support, as I have stated before.

Well, it's just a matter of interpretation. When you talked about "OS4 final" in the IRC, I was always under the impression that it also includes the BPPC/CSPPC-versions. There was never a distinction made between them in the IRC-chat except for the question I quoted below.

Quote:
The classic version lacks driver support, as I have stated before.

What drivers are you still planning to implement? G-Rex? Why not skipping the support for rather exotic hardware and adding it later as an update?

Quote:
"Coder: Are you spending more time on the OS4 version for the "classic" Amiga now that you are waiting with the final release for new hardware?
EntilZha: Not really. Except for the real low-level stuff, both versions are basically the same..."

BigD 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 11:01:55
#238 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:
The fact that there was no hardware to release it allowed us to continue working on things that we deemed important but wouldn't have fit into the intended schedule.

An admirable work ethic! No hardware=more development/polishing off time I hope the hardware manufacturers have a similar "Just Do It" mentality.

Hagbard_Celine 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 11:27:30
#239 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:

I don't expect new hardware to take so long.

That's what I like to hear

jkirk 
Posted on 16-Mar-2006 12:18:12
#240 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

i believe that the statement

Except for the real low-level stuff = drivers and other basic system oriented software

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle