Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 54 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  4 mins ago
 matthey:  49 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 danwood:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 27 mins ago
 Gunnar:  4 hrs 40 mins ago
 t0lkien:  4 hrs 42 mins ago
 Lou:  5 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A "Have It Out" thread?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
Franko 
Re: A "Have It Out" thread?
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 14:47:25
#121 ]
Elite Member

@Mechanic

Quote:

Mechanic wrote:
Come to think about it.........may I am the whole problem around here.

Ahh... so it's your fault I can't post YouTube videos here (that's the only problem I can see with this place)...

So can you fix it please as it's ruddy annoying only being able to post links to em and I quite often like to reply to folk with a wee YouTube video or two...

PS: there is another wee problem, the posting method is naff, like if you try to add an image to a post that you forgot it always gets put in at the bottom of your post and not where the cursor is (same goes for smilies too) it's mince I tell you...

PPS: Just remembered another teeny weeny ever so wee problem, erm... no... wait... that's personal and not your fault... oops... :-O

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 14:48:22
# ]

@Mechanic

Quote:

Mechanic wrote:
Come to think about it.........may I am the whole problem around here.

I don't really know how to take this, but I came back to edit my post as I think my last sentence was a bit over the top, sorry. I don't think you're in a position to make some of the points you've made in this thread, but overall I find your posts amusing and I've got nothing against you.

I wasn't expecting you to have a go at me as I don't think I wade into X1000 threads slagging OS4 off. There's too many perceived threats on this site coming from all angles.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 16-Oct-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Report this post  
Mechanic 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 16:18:18
#123 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

Quote:

clebin wrote:
@Mechanic

I don't really know how to take this, but I came back to edit my post as I think my last sentence was a bit over the top, sorry. I don't think you're in a position to make some of the points you've made in this thread, but overall I find your posts amusing and I've got nothing against you.

I wasn't expecting you to have a go at me as I don't think I wade into X1000 threads slagging OS4 off. There's too many perceived threats on this site coming from all angles.

Chris

Thanks clebin.

I'm going to take a break for awhile. I really do need to cogitate on some things.

Later people.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 16:55:01
#124 ]
Team Member

@Hondo

Quote:

Hondo wrote:
@HenryCase

All I want is the same as you man, that Aw.net become troll free, and that the site stays free of them. Then we can start gathering the camps in on big group hug

No site will ever be "troll free". There will always be someone that will act in this manner somewhere. All that can be done is to try an limit the damage caused by them.

As zerohero has posted, we are looking at trying to alleviate these issues. To this end, it may mean that we will have to act more firmly and take steps to remove/restrict the more disruptive people. No decisions have been made yet, but as I say, it is being discussed.

@itix

Given I have been on the website/forums here since we brought them up originally, I have most definitely been here for the last 10+ years. While moderations were harsher in the beginning, we have constantly listened and polled the membership for recommendations on how to manage moderations. On the whole, the approach taken is working - but there are always some users who take it too far. This is something that will be addressed in due course.

eliyahu 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 16:57:10
#125 ]

@_Steve_

Quote:
As zerohero has posted, we are looking at trying to alleviate these issues. To this end, it may mean that we will have to act more firmly and take steps to remove/restrict the more disruptive people. No decisions have been made yet, but as I say, it is being discussed.

thank you.

-- eliyahu

Kicko 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 17:03:10
#126 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

+1

itix 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 18:28:05
#127 ]
Elite Member

@HenryCase

AmiCygNix is not part of AmigaOS. I dont mean 3rd party software but the operating system itself.

have never seen AmiCygNix (none of betatesters had installed it) but it is an updated port from OS3 software and you could port it to AROS if you wanted to.

Last edited by itix on 16-Oct-2011 at 06:34 PM.

zerohero 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 18:33:08
#128 ]
Team Member

@itix

Quote:
AmiCygNix is not part of AmigaOS. I dont mean 3rd party software but the operating system itself.

This has me confused? If I asked you to surprise me with a MorphOS system, what would you show? And may I extend that to maybe linux, Windows and MacOSX?

itix 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 18:40:56
#129 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

I would show you Ambient and software coming with MorphOS. I would also demonstrate solid window sizing in real time =P

Last edited by itix on 16-Oct-2011 at 06:44 PM.

vox 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 18:43:42
#130 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
@Mechanic Quote: If a thread was started in the Amiga OS4 Hardware forum how long do you think it would take before comments like; It should have been on x86, open sourced, and sold for free. The X1000 is just too ultra expensive. Only rich people who don't have to work and save will buy them. The CPU is no longer made and the supply is as good as gone. They will only sell 50 or maybe 100 X1000 if their lucky. We all should use AROS because it's FREE. I can run AmigaOS on a used Mac faster and better, it's called MorphOS. AROS runs on everything and would be the new Amiga os if it was not for all the haters around here. SMP will never work. My OS already has 3D. The only thing Xena/Xorro did was increase the cost with no benefit. The price/performance ratio shows it's not worth the extreme cost..... How long?

@cheesegrate

Quote:
Well its all true so why shouldn't they post it?

While AROS statements are clearly true, MorphOS isn`t (it isn`t exactly AmigaOS 4 and cannot run exactly same software, even MOS can be percieved like that) X1000 statements are at best anticipation or a guess (beside it being expensive, but compared to what when there is no such hardware?) and are "flammable"

Let it be out, and judge it then, that is fair. One can have many reasons not to have it - mime only one is that can`t save that much money + import costs outside EU. But for no reason one should try to undermine other one`s desire to save quite a lot to have it.

zerohero 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 18:45:27
#131 ]
Team Member

@itix

Yes, but that's just MorphOS, no?

I guess you want to say that MorphOS comes with more software than AmigaOS 4.x, but I think the comparison isn't very fair, to be honest. I'd compare AmigaOS 4.x to previous AmigaOS versions instead.

Or am I misunderstanding you completely?

itix 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 18:47:04
#132 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:

I'd compare AmigaOS 4.x to previous AmigaOS versions instead.

And honestly I dont see much difference. OS4 uses more colours and has lagged solid window sizing. And you can sort icons by name what you can not do in Workbench 3.

zerohero 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 18:54:07
#133 ]
Team Member

@itix

You can't have seen a fairly recent version then? Or someone with a MicroA1 probably, those are quite limited with their Radeon 7000's?

itix 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 18:55:47
#134 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

I saw it on Pegasos II, Amiga 4000 and AmigaOne. Window contents were always lagging behind (on Pegasos II) when you were resizing it. Didnt play around with AmigaOne. Amiga 4000 is obviously slow on everything.

Last edited by itix on 16-Oct-2011 at 06:57 PM.

zerohero 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 19:04:02
#135 ]
Team Member

@itix

Hmm, maybe it's updated in update 3, but not on my system (A1 XE with a Radeon 9200), and there are other things not in AmigaOS 3.x as well. See through windows, context menus, screens handling, url handler (not openurl), reaction is very much updated since those days and more things I'm forgetting...

I know these things were standard with 3rd party software on AmigaOS 3.x but they shouldn't be excluded from a list of updates just because of that.

Last edited by zerohero on 16-Oct-2011 at 07:12 PM.

HenryCase 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 19:04:34
#136 ]
Cult Member

@itix
Quote:
itix wrote:

Who cares if its 3rd party, some of the best enhancements to the AmigaOS experience over the years have been 3rd party ones. The point is, AmiCygnix runs on OS4, it doesn't run on MorphOS or AROS, so it is a strength that OS4 can claim.

itix 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 19:15:50
#137 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

How see through windows help using computer? Reaction vs MUI etc is irrelevant from user POV. For example prefs programs are quite messy. Their UI element layout is chaotic at best (just like in original) and prefs drawer itself is chaotic with half dozen printer prefs editors. And not much gfx used anywhere when there are good gfx artists in the team.

I dont know if I tried context menus but I guess they are used in Workbench 4 what is big plus. I didnt use any software opening its own screen so I dont know what differences there are in screen handling. URL handler... well, that is not much.

I did notice there is AmiDock what is clear improvement from my Workbench 3 experience.

zerohero 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 19:25:44
#138 ]
Team Member

@itix

Quote:
How see through windows help using computer?

How does solid window sizing help using a computer?

Quote:
Reaction vs MUI etc is irrelevant from user POV.

I'm not talking about Reaction vs MUI, but rather that Reaction is updated. It is better than it was.

Look, I'm not saying AmigaOS 4.x is the best operating system ever, but compared to AmigaOS 3.x it's heavily updated. In that regard it is quite unfair to compare it to AROS or MorphOS, at least MorphOS have the been developed from scrath with different features to begin with. Is different better?

itix 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 19:40:58
#139 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:

How does solid window sizing help using a computer?

Admittely fair point.

Quote:

Look, I'm not saying AmigaOS 4.x is the best operating system ever, but compared to AmigaOS 3.x it's heavily updated.

I just can't see "heavily updated" part there. I only see Workbench 3+ with new theme.

Quote:

In that regard it is quite unfair to compare it to AROS or MorphOS, at least MorphOS have the been developed from scrath with different features to begin with. Is different better?

Just forget MorphOS and AROS and look it like they never existed. But had Hyperion strted OS4 from scratch it could have been much better. Nobody would mock it.

Last edited by itix on 16-Oct-2011 at 07:45 PM.

zerohero 
Posted on 16-Oct-2011 19:52:43
#140 ]
Team Member

@itix

Quote:
Just forget MorphOS and AROS and look it like they never existed. But had Hyperion strted OS4 from scratch it could have been much better. Nobody would mock it.

But isn't that the whole point? It's AmigaOS continued. If I (or anyone) wanted something else would I have chosen something else then? My Win7 laptop does plenty of things I can't with my AmigaOS 4.x machine, same goes for my Debian box, but that's not the issue here, is it? I want it to be AmigaOS. That something else is doing it better doesn't really matter.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle