Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 91 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  31 mins ago
 wakido:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 50 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 19 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 50 mins ago
 Matt3k:  6 hrs 7 mins ago
 RobertB:  6 hrs 26 mins ago
 cip060:  6 hrs 57 mins ago
 sibbi:  7 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiga30 - Amsterdam - June 27, 2015
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: Amiga30 - Amsterdam - June 27, 2015
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 23:00:53
#141 ]
Elite Member

@all who have a different interest than this thread's topic:

please take the discussion here

Or any of the other places this continually gets brought up.

Thanks.

Profile     Report this post  
NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 5:40:11
#142 ]
Cult Member
From: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy

So, was there any mention at the show of a sub-US$500 PPC Amiga machine coming or possibly coming?

KimmoK 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 10:40:00
#143 ]
Elite Member

@NomadOfNorad

As far as I know, no.

Just that a-eon has two (new) projects ongoing to cover the lack of x3500 (or something like that).

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

OlafS25 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 11:58:21
#144 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

I see it different...

there is the (how some here call it) "classic" crowd who either use emulation or heavy equipped old hardware. The majority there uses PCs or Macs for normal work or life and Amiga just for fun. This is certainly the vast majority of users now- Number hard to estimate.

Then there are "NG" users using one of the three big OSs and propably 2-3 thousand users combined (my personal guess)

Then there is the "outside" world with people who are either former amiga users knowing A500 (mostly for game playing) and the biggest group with people that never have heard of Amiga at all.

To reach the group of people not knowing Amiga we would need new services and ideas that attract this people. And expecially the last group would need a really modernized OS with brandnew software and services.

Former Amiga user would be a potential buyer group for "NG" but it also would need attractive packages of new hardware at affordable prices.

And with new software and services I really mean new software and services and not just ports from Linux or slightly updated old software.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 02-Jul-2015 at 12:00 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 13:04:23
#145 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

"G1"
>there is the (how some here call it) "classic" crowd who either use emulation or heavy equipped old hardware. The majority there uses PCs or Macs for normal work or life and Amiga just for fun. This is certainly the vast majority of users now- Number hard to estimate.

True.

"G2"
>Then there are "NG" users using one of the three big OSs and propably 2-3 thousand users combined (my personal guess)

True.

"G3"
>Then there is the "outside" world with people who are either former amiga users knowing A500 (mostly for game playing)

Yes (4million ppl, perhaps).

"G4"
>and the biggest group with people that never have heard of Amiga at all.

Yes. ( Hundreds of millions buying and using computing devices somehow. )

>To reach the group of people not knowing Amiga we would need new services and ideas that attract this people. And expecially the last group would need a really modernized OS with brandnew software and services.

Yes.
There are a lot of smaller subniches of people to attract, like RETRO fans. But the offering must be as good or somehow better than the other offerings.

>Former Amiga user would be a potential buyer group for "NG" but it also would need attractive packages of new hardware at affordable prices.

Good/usefull/fun HW and SW in sane price. & well documented.
Yes.

>And with new software and services I really mean new software and services and not just ports from Linux or slightly updated old software.

Sure, linux ports and slightly updated is not enough.
((except for diehards who get rash from using mainstream OS @ home))

IMO:
1)-The "starter package" must be affordable and available
2)-The "starter package" must be easy to use, robust and deliver what is promised. (to attract beyond G2)
3)...
25)-new user gained from G4.
2^24)-world domination

Last edited by KimmoK on 02-Jul-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 02-Jul-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 02-Jul-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 02-Jul-2015 at 01:04 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

OlafS25 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 13:14:13
#146 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

then we have the same opinion

X5000 certainly is only for the die-hards in the NG community

for the 68k crowd there is one or another smaller development (perhaps even FPGA based solutions)

the problem is to offer something for the rest

then world domination

Last edited by OlafS25 on 02-Jul-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 02-Jul-2015 at 01:14 PM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 14:01:59
#147 ]
Cult Member

As Costel mentioned in a German forum, the obscure (abandoned) hardware they planned to have on display was the Netbook. Apparently both he and Tim own one, and there was a misunderstanding who would bring his device to the show.

number6 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 14:16:06
#148 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
As Costel mentioned in a German forum, the obscure (abandoned) hardware they planned to have on display was the Netbook. Apparently both he and Tim own one, and there was a misunderstanding who would bring his device to the show.

Running OS4.x or?

broadblues 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 14:21:45
#149 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@cgutjahr

Shame that would have been cool, even though the economics killed it, the demonstration that project had been real and not pure vapour, would have been good PR.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 14:41:31
#150 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

Running OS4.x or?

He's not mentioning that, just that they planned to "bring it". Since everybody knows the Limebook exists, it wouldn't make sense (from a PR point of view) to show it running Linux, IMHO.

Quote:

the demonstration that project had been real and not pure vapour, would have been good PR.

That would have been the desired effect, obviously - but I doubt it was what really happend. Having Trevor look into it and see if he can make it happen months after you announced it (and allegedly have some code running on the Limebook) does not sound like a "real project" to me.

kamelito 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 21:48:00
#151 ]
Cult Member

While looking at Carl speech, I found out that I didn't knew about Tim Holloway article on Exec.
Maybe other didn't...
http://web.archive.org/web/20050528204702/http://www.cunningham-lee.com/misc/amiga_exec.html
Kamelito

tangoone 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 23:25:33
#152 ]

@OlafS25

To me FPGA is the only way forward for the mass amiga product something like Amiga500/1200
in a realistic price range 500-1000.

And we know who have been closest to that in terms of fpga, but that project could have been the next big thing.

So this is what I think a big company should concentrate on to make a new amiga (clone) built on todays standards something that can be used for surfing the web, email, watching vidoes (streaming, mkv, avi, mpeg, etc)

Like RJ did say "Connectivity" that is a must for a device today. So networking MUST be included.

So lets start a kickstarter project to get this made.

BigD 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 10:27:15
#153 ]
Elite Member

@tangoone

Quote:
Like RJ did say "Connectivity" that is a must for a device today. So networking MUST be included.

While internet/social media seems to be the be all and end all of computing in the 21st century I'd argue that the over emphasis on these passive 'surfing' activities has made the average user less creative. The Amiga should be part of the Raspberry Pi led initiative to get people coding. Also, with the Amiga's pedigree in graphics, sound and 3D rendering these things could also be brought to the masses as an alternative for simply telling the world what you had for your dinner or uploading 500 pictures of your new puppy for the world to see

To compete in the same arena as the Pi would obviously call for a massive price reduction in hardware prices but Hyperion could always port a demo version of AmigaOS to Arm to get it competing with RiscOS on the Pi.

tangoone 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 14:55:32
#154 ]

@BigD

We all know coding was a huge thing in the days of amiga but today go and ask people what do u use your computers for. ?

I think 90% would say facebook, youtube, email, etc thats what people use it for. Ofcourse if you goto to a university they would say coding but that depends on who you ask but the avrage user will say fb, youtube, etc.

I think get a amiga fpga to a raspberry-pi price is very hard I bought a PI2 and that costed in total 50-60 USD. I am willing to pay more for a upto date amiga (500-800).

BigD 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 15:23:29
#155 ]
Elite Member

@tangoone

Quote:
I think 90% would say facebook, youtube, email, etc thats what people use it for. Ofcourse if you goto to a university they would say coding but that depends on who you ask but the avrage user will say fb, youtube, etc.

There are far better devices to get onto Social Media than ANY flavour of Amiga today or in the future! A £15 a month contract will give a smart phone to get access to these services. The NG Amiga(ONE)s should make creativity and application software the priority. Some new games wouldn't go a miss either . The AmiStore is great idea and I'm sure plenty of people will write small apps to help Amigans get on Social Media however it's not something the movers and shakers at hardware design and OS development level need to worry too much about.

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 16:29:09
#156 ]
Cult Member

@tangoone

Quote:

tangoone wrote:
@BigD

We all know coding was a huge thing in the days of amiga but today go and ask people what do u use your computers for. ?

That's what he is trying to say. The Amiga computing ethos harks back to a time when people were productive on their machines. The Amiga had something about it which encouraged productivity. It was inspiring, in that regard.

Sure, people today are mostly using their computers for Facebook and other drivel. And, as BigD says, it's made people LESS productive. Much less. That's not a good thing.

If someone were to make a cheap Amiga clone for the masses, or release an AmigaOS to run on ARM based Rpi devices, it should be with the mindset to encourage people to enjoy 'proper' computing again.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 20:04:20
#157 ]

@BrianHoskins

Quote:

BrianHoskins wrote:
@tangoone

Quote:

tangoone wrote:
@BigD

That's what he is trying to say. The Amiga computing ethos harks back to a time when people were productive on their machines. The Amiga had something about it which encouraged productivity. It was inspiring, in that regard.

Speaking for myself, it was stepping up from an 8-bit (C64, although I was more familiar with the ZX Spectrum) where you either load "", or started programming in basic as soon as the machine was turned on. Oh, and tapes for storage media. Fun times.

Enter the Amiga: Autoloading of games from disk, OS included which relegated the command line to a tool (and didn't use 'basic'), and all these new programs the likes of which I'd never dreamed of on a personal computer... Deluxe Paint, Kindwords, etc. it was an introduction to productivity software itself to most people, and held its ground in terms of functionality and useability with the high end business machines of the time (for a fraction of the cost).

Also a jaw-dropping leap in games quality - F29 Retaliator was essentially a flight simulator in your front room - a huge leap from the 8-bit games generation.

And there was no internet pushing demanding new technologies requiring periodic hardware upgrades, or competing sectors offering the same functionality +more in a fag-packet sized box.

Quote:

If someone were to make a cheap Amiga clone for the masses, or release an AmigaOS to run on ARM based Rpi devices, it should be with the mindset to encourage people to enjoy 'proper' computing again.

Not sure I understand what 'proper' computing is, but I doubt it's what the market is looking for.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 03-Jul-2015 at 08:05 PM.

TheAMIgaOne 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 13:19:52
#158 ]
Cult Member

@All

My uploaded videos

Trevors Talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-mtsEKOMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq7hd9dphsk

Jon Hare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRlXNVvscF8

AmigaOneXE OS4.1.6

TaoSoftwareBlog Youtube

radzik 
Posted on 7-Jul-2015 23:10:36
#159 ]

And something from me http://radzikpl.blogspot.com/2015/07/amiga-30th-amsterdam-2015-impressions.html

fishy_fis 
Posted on 8-Jul-2015 0:38:51
#160 ]
Elite Member

edit: meant as tongue in cheek, but might've sounded harsh.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 08-Jul-2015 at 01:47 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle