Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 64 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  14 mins ago
 matthey:  20 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 danwood:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 kriz:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Siamese system
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Ellis 
Siamese system
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 17:05:19
#1 ]

I have been thinking of getting a Siamese system for my A4000 power tower but not that familiar with this product. I would be able to hook it up to my pc and use cd-rw and HD and network the two systems.

Anyone, have this setup and how do you like it?
Will I be able to do this with windows XP?
The main reason would be to get a way to transfer files via a network ;since I have no internet on the amiga. I would be able to download files via the pc and see them on my amiga. I have no ethernet card ; so I may have to do some kind of serial network. I do have a network card on the pc side and a cable modem.

Which versions of the siamese system are available and which is the best?

I was just going to buy a ethernet card and use it for internet but the siamese looks like a viable option. I will most likely get a ethernet card in the near future also. I would be able to use mouse,keyboard and other pc componets and clear some clutter from my desk!

Thanks

Profile     Report this post  
_Steve_ 
Re: Siamese system
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 17:16:17
#2 ]
Team Member

@Ellis

As I recall, the Siamese system was sold via Hisoft, who no longer deal with the Amiga H/W and S/W that they used to. The last time I tried to find information on the Siamese systems and software, I found the website had been closed. I remember there were two versions, one for Ethernet and one for Serial. I seem to recall the software version 2.1 for serial was made freely available, but have been unable to confirm or locate it.

The Siamese system essentially allowed you to access the PC from the Amiga or vice-versa, even retargetting windows to the other system, so you could pop up a media player on your Amiga display. Naturally the serial version was a lot slower than the ethernet one.

BrianK 
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 19:22:50
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Ellis

Seems like you want to setup a small network of a PC and an Amiga that allow them to talk to each other.

You can do this in a variety of ways but I'll assume from what you said you're wanting to do this via ethernet. Good option to consider. What you need is an ethernet card on the PC and an ethernet card on the Amiga. If it's just these 2 systems and nothing else you can hook them directly together with a cross-over cable. If you plan on adding a shared DSL/Cable modem or more systems in the future you'll probably want to hook them to a switch.

Amiga --- X over Ethernet ---- PC

OR

Amiga ----- Switch ------ PC

Sounds like you might have internet on your PC. Not sure how that's configured but if it's DSL/Cable on an external modem you can configure the 2 systems to share one connection...

PC -------Switch ----- DSL/Cable Modem
Amiga ---|

Now between the PC and the Amiga you have quite a few options. One is Samba a bit more complex to setup but gives you some options like printer sharing. Another is FTP -- a simple FTP server on either or both ends will let you transfer files between the machines. Another is webserver --- setup on either or both ends will let you use your favorite browser. There are many other protocols and methods you could then choose from.

The option I kind of like and it's not much extra $$ is Amiga Forever. They have an Amiga Explorer application. It's an icon on the PC which allows you to browse the Amiga as if it were another device. It's kind of like using Windows Explorer to explore the windows file systems. There's a command you have to issue on the Amiga to allow it to be browsed by Amiga Explorer. But, it's a simple one line text.
(Personally, I'd like to see Amiga Explorer functionality integrated into Windows Explorer, perhaps AF 6.0 but I'm just hoping.)

There are some ideas and lots to chew on. Feel free to ask more questions I think most of us here have done something like the above options.

The_Editor 
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 19:40:02
#4 ]
Elite Member

I run 2.1 serial Siamese and I'll tell you this....

Its Brilliant. I really wish I'd upgraded it when I had the chance.

Its more than just networking. It literally turns your pc into a device for the Amiga.

One monitor, One Keyboard, One mouse ....No KVM.

BUY IT !!

I got mine from Eyetech some while ago ... Dunno if they still do it though.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 20:21:54
#5 ]

@The_Editor

So can you manipulate your PC desktop from an Amiga then?
Could you run Word for instance on an Amiga desktop?

I was thinking of a way you could genlock the displays of both a PC and an Amiga and somehow initiate the applications of a PC from an Amiga desktop and manipulate its windows. You know, blue screen the windows or linux desktop. If they were networked you could probably do it through software and do screen captures and just overlay the windows on AOS. Or get smarter and place the window contents in a AOS window.

Also, have you had a look at the tiny VIA PC mobos lately? Man, only a matter of time before someone turns one into a tiny bridgeboard to slot in an A1 or even a 68k for that matter.

Actually, I don't know if it would defeat the purpose, but if an A1 was small enough we could get it onto a card to plug in a Wintel PC. I know, it defeats the purpose, but hey, it could increase the potential market and get those mobo prices down!!!

Darrin 
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 20:42:21
#6 ]
Team Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
Could you run Word for instance on an Amiga desktop?

I have Siamese too, but that's not what it does.

What the siamese software allows is any of, or any combination of, the following:

1. Use the PC as a "graphics card" for your Amiga and retarget your Amiga displays to the monitor connected to the PC in any resolution the PC's graphics card supports. So, if your PC allows a 1280x1024 32 bit display then your Amiga will display a 1280x1024 32 bit Workbench.

2. Access to all of the PC's drives. You can write/read from any of the PC's attached drives through Workbench, and assign any of the PC's drives as if they were attached to the Amiga.

3. Use the PC's keyboard to control the PC and Amiga.

4. Use the PC's mouse to control the PC and the Amiga.

5. Print from the Amiga to the printer attached to the PC.

In theory, once it has been set up correctly, you can run your Amiga with no monitor, keyboard or mouse attached by using the ones attached to the PC. Of course, if you want to play old non-RTG games then you're still going to need some sort of display attached to the Amiga and a mouse & keyboard too.

I haven't tried Siamese on WindowsXP yet and I'll try and get around to doing it this weekend if my wife leaves me in peace for a few hours.

It does work on Win95, 98 & ME on Pentium 1, 2, 3 and AMD K6-2, 3 and Athlon processors.

Also, I've only used it via the serial link as neither of my (set up) Amiga's (A1200, A3000) have an ethernet connection. I have a couple of PCMCIA cards I could try shoving in the A1200, but I have no drivers or software to enable them.

Hope this helps.

The_Editor 
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 21:10:31
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Darrin

Well explained mate.

you can run it without monitor on Amiga ( I do) BUT ...

The moment you run a NON rtg program you lose control of the display ( I have my Amiga output going into a cheapy rocgen into my vcr), So when I run TrueBrilliance I have to use the TV as a monitor... Which is ok coz I'm gonna be cutting to tape anyway sooner or later, So I get to see what it looks like before the"burn".

The_Editor 
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 21:11:20
#8 ]
Elite Member

@The_Editor

Oh .. It runs ok on Win2kPro as well !!

Nobrakes 
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 21:54:58
#9 ]

Does any one know where the free version can be downloaded??

A1200 HD(10gig) with Viper(DKB Cobra) 68030@40Mhz and 128 mb Ram
Easynet wireless and Amiga os 3.9

Darrin 
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 22:37:46
#10 ]
Team Member

@The_Editor

Quote:

The_Editor wrote:
@The_Editor

Oh .. It runs ok on Win2kPro as well !!

Thanks - that will save me a bit of effort.

Darrin 
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 22:41:45
#11 ]
Team Member

@Nobrakes

Quote:

Nobrakes wrote:
Does any one know where the free version can be downloaded??

Hmmmm.... There is no such thing as a "free" version of it. I paid good money for it waaaaay back.

The question is, is it now abandonware as the company behind it no longer exists and, as far as I can tell, there is nowhere to buy it (apart from ebay?). If it is abandonware then perhaps it would be ok for me to simply email you the program. Its only 2 floopy disks - one to install on the PC and one to install on the Amiga. Someone emailed me a PDF of the manual a few months back and I have that somewhere...

Darrin 
Posted on 9-Apr-2004 22:46:33
#12 ]
Team Member

@The_Editor

Quote:

The_Editor wrote:
The moment you run a NON rtg program you lose control of the display ( I have my Amiga output going into a cheapy rocgen into my vcr),

Yep. I keep a battered old A1081 next to my A1200T just for playing the odd floppy progam. The problem is, as my PC's have become faster and faster I find myself using WinUAE more than my Amigas for running Amiga software (my 2.5GHz Athlon laptop with a 64MB Radion chipset is REALLY good at running UAE).

Nobrakes 
Posted on 10-Apr-2004 12:34:50
#13 ]

@Darrin

You can email the serial version to christoper@onvol.net
it seems that there is no place where they can be downloaded

A1200 HD(10gig) with Viper(DKB Cobra) 68030@40Mhz and 128 mb Ram
Easynet wireless and Amiga os 3.9

Darrin 
Posted on 10-Apr-2004 15:21:44
#14 ]
Team Member

@Nobrakes

Quote:

Nobrakes wrote:
@Darrin

You can email the serial version to christoper@onvol.net
it seems that there is no place where they can be downloaded

Actually, you're in luck. There is no "serial" version. The same disks support connections via serial ports and network cards. It really was a well designed and thought out piece of software.

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 10-Apr-2004 17:38:48
#15 ]
Cult Member

"So what exactly is the Siamese System? It consist of a Server running on each machine, with software modules you can choose to activate. The Amiga and PC communucate via a serial lead, which is looped through the Electronic Software Controlled Display Switcher. The switcher is an ISA card that slots into your PC, and allows you to flick between the Amiga and the PCs video output at the press of a hotkey, or the press of a button, or via an arexx command... (you get the idea)."

----

So there is more required than a piece of software to get Siamese working? Or have I misunderstood

Brian

The_Editor 
Posted on 10-Apr-2004 18:12:35
#16 ]
Elite Member

@BrianHoskins

You misunderstood.

All I've got is a serial lead and software !!

Darrin 
Posted on 12-Apr-2004 1:56:22
#17 ]
Team Member

@The_Editor

Quote:

The_Editor wrote:
@BrianHoskins

You misunderstood.

All I've got is a serial lead and software !!

Eactly. I couldn't believe it when I set up a link serial link between my bog-standard A1200 and an old 133MHz Pentium 1 and had my Amiga displaying a 1024x768 24 bit workbench screen on the PC's monitor and accessing the PC's drives at the same time... all with 2 floppy disks and a serial cable.

I still think it's amazing

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Apr-2004 16:28:30
# ]

@Darrin

I seem to remeber the original (non-RTG) version had an ISA/PCI (cant remember which) for the PC, to switch the displays and whatnot I think. I do have the original review in one of my old CU mags around here somewhere :D

Also, @ the thread starter, VNC could be an option. It will only retarg the mouse, keyboard & video however (no filesharing etc). I tried it after giving up trying to get hold of the Siamese a few years ago, you really need a fast connection for it mind, and as I recall the Amiga versions of it were'nt that stable.

Also, would you mind emailing me a copy of the software, been trying to find it for ages but with no joy.

Report this post  
Darrin 
Posted on 12-Apr-2004 22:45:38
#19 ]
Team Member

@BjD

Quote:

BjD wrote:
@Darrin

I seem to remeber the original (non-RTG) version had an ISA/PCI (cant remember which) for the PC, to switch the displays and whatnot I think. I do have the original review in one of my old CU mags around here somewhere :D

you really need a fast connection for it mind, and as I recall the Amiga versions of it were'nt that stable.

The early versions may have needed a hardware switcher, but my version (v2.5) is all taken care of via the software and the ethernet/serial link.

I'll admit that a fast network card connection is the best option, but you really can retarget the Amiga graphics to the PC and use the drives over a 57600 serial port. I'd love to try it over a 100Mbs network card, but I don't have one connected to my Amiga.

Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Apr-2004 3:11:10
# ]

Now I really wish I had bought that software all those years ago!

Well hindsight is 20/20.

Report this post  
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle