Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 45 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Kronos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Kronos:  21 secs ago
 Z3k:  26 mins ago
 Hammer:  27 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr ago
 klx300r:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 billt:  4 hrs 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Sirion USB stack and bugs?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
royleith 
Re: Sirion USB stack and bugs?
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 15:39:40
#21 ]
Cult Member

@mlehto

I think there are some problems with the USB drivers and, possibly, Crossdos as well.

My rechargable optical USB mouse is almost faultless, but failed to operate on warmstart just once.

My iRiver MP3 player (hard drive, MSDOS VFAT) can only be searched in the top two directories. Any further and the directory gets garbled.

My DisGo flash memory drive seems to work well, but I havn't tried deep directories, yet. It mounts and demounts correctly.

My OnlyDisk memory drive only mounts if it is plugged in before warm or cold booting.

My 7in1 USB flash memory reader read the files one directory deep in my Canon camera card and I could open the images in FXPaint. There is only the one directory layer at the moment.

My Lacie USB external hard drive seemed fine to start with and I could see all the files on it(MSDOS VFAT). However, when I tried BackItAllUp to backup the Amiga files, Workbench seemed able to create new drawers and BIAU started to save files to them. However, part way through, Workbench and BIAU slowed to a crawl and BIAU eventually stopped. BIAU has been faultless between Amiga drives. The Amiga directory entries on the Lacie proved to be invalid, even though the Amiga would open them. I had to use chkdsk on a Windows XP machine to put it all right (and I tried the backup, twice). The existing backup files (10s of GBs) all seem OK after the Amiga stuff was cleared.

I'm not quite sure what all this means, but it suggests that the USB driver needs more work. The directory problems may be something to do with Crossdos and FAT handling. The memory drives work well under Linux so I don't think it is hardware related. However, Linux would not have any debounce problems.

Mine is an XE G4 A1, so there may be other differences on µA1s and SEs.

Regards
Roy Leith

Profile     Report this post  
Rassilon 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 16:27:10
#22 ]
Cult Member

@royleith

This is the whole reason I was hoping that someone in the know would reply to this thread

They would be able to give us an idea whether it is indeed a software problem (which of course we would all like!!)

Lewis

Chris_Y 
Posted on 6-Jan-2005 16:51:28
#23 ]
Elite Member

@royleith

Quote:
My OnlyDisk memory drive only mounts if it is plugged in before warm or cold booting.

My printer only works* if I switch it on before starting the USB stack.

My digital camera works no matter when I switch it on, but occasionally I need to switch it back off and on again for it to be picked up.

My mouse, last time I tried it, didn't want to be recognised by the USB stack at all. Then again, Linux doesn't like it either so I'm happy with connecting it up via a PS/2 adapter.

I don't own any other USB devices yet. Might get one of those USB Competition Pro joysticks once OS4 gets the support though. Then again, I might just get an adapter for my Zipstik, haven't decided yet.

This is on the XE btw.

Chris

* that's "works" as in "is picked up", before people ask me about USB printer drivers.

Last edited by Chris_Y on 06-Jan-2005 at 04:52 PM.

busytech 
Posted on 7-Jan-2005 0:57:05
#24 ]

I have had the Motherboard fix done for USB problem, however I still get lock ups when accessing any massstorage device directly on any USB port (front/back).

I also need to use a hub to avoid any lock ups. So I am hoping it is a software problem also.

PS. The fix was carried out for free by Adam Kowalczyk of ACK software controls. He drove to my house, picked up my A1 XE-G3 and returned it a few days later.

mlehto 
Posted on 7-Jan-2005 3:16:22
#25 ]

@Chris_Y

This is totally off topic, sorry. Anyway I messed with thing over one hour or so, this may save time for others.

I tried to swap keys with kbddev_mapping 0xy1=0xy2 , but without any effect. Last I tried swap "a" and "s" keys, but no... Strange. Anyway "kbddev_norwin yes" string made the job.

Scroll lock ...?? sorry my dumpness, but I am never used... :)

Miikka

kgrach 
Posted on 7-Jan-2005 3:59:20
#26 ]
Cult Member

@mlehto

Scanquix USB has the drivers and some really great scanning software for your scanner.

The Mod AFAIK was supposed to fix a timing error bug on the PCI bus.

Been a while since I had my SE board. but I kind of remember my SB Digital 5.1 card working properly under linux at the time. maybe I am wrong

I don't have access to any SE boards at this time sorry .

kgrach

mlehto 
Posted on 7-Jan-2005 7:48:04
#27 ]

@kgrach

Thank you for answering :)

>Scanquix USB has the drivers and some really great scanning software for your scanner.

This is intresting thing. Is it compatible with OS4 USB-stack ? Actually I have latest ScanFX and iousb package, but it won't work. For all, remember, that usb is not ready yet, this is not final judgement ... :)

I tried Betascan also, but no hope.

>The Mod AFAIK was supposed to fix a timing error bug on the PCI bus.

Ok ... that is nice to hear. Someone already examine PCI-bus and tried to fix it. It may be ok then.

>Been a while since I had my SE board. but I kind of remember my SB Digital 5.1 card working properly under linux at the time. maybe I am wrong

>I don't have access to any SE boards at this time sorry .

No broblem, I can live with my SE :) After all, we have to wait, until OS4 is final. Then we can see, how everything works.

I wait my terratec early next week and I wait, that it works ok.

Maybe everybody feels, that we don't know enought our boards. If you compare them for A3/4k, it is obviously clear, that they were better known part by part. But ... after there were ten years or more to examine them, it is not surprise.

Miikka

Rassilon 
Posted on 7-Jan-2005 9:02:59
#28 ]
Cult Member

@busytech

this may sound strange, but its good to hear that on an XE, and a fixed one at that, you are still having problems with mass storage.

It gives hope to us poor SE owners who up until now have all probably been thinking that we have an extra hardware problem

Lewis

Chris_Y 
Posted on 7-Jan-2005 9:56:51
#29 ]
Elite Member

@mlehto

Quote:

Scroll lock ...?? sorry my dumpness, but I am never used... :)

It's the HELP key

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 7-Jan-2005 10:55:32
#30 ]

@kgrach

Quote:
Been a while since I had my SE board. but I kind of remember my SB Digital 5.1 card working properly under linux at the time. maybe I am wrong

SBLive cards (except the SBLive 24) work okay in the SE, it's the SB128s that are all messed up.

mwoof 
Posted on 25-Jan-2005 23:21:30
#31 ]

@mlehto

Oooooooooh, keyboard remappings through UBoot! But don't they affect Linux too??

AmigaOne G3-SE, OS4 Final (July 2007 update), Debian Sarge, 512 MB RAM, 20 + 80 GB hard disks, NEC 3540 DVD writer, LG DVD reader, Radeon 9250, SB Live, Intracom Netfaster router, PCI USB card (NEC - OHCI/EHCI)

mlehto 
Posted on 26-Jan-2005 13:59:05
#32 ]

@mwoof

Don't know yet ... I am slowly geting back. I messed my OS4 partition completelly with sil_xfer G000, since Maxtor drive work max. with F000. It is UDMA-133 drive, but quality ... I tested it ages ago, but forget it...

I continue my experimental linux-installation later.

Back on topic. I got seitec 256 mb memory stick (reported to be compatible with OS4), but it wont work with SE-usb. I try get later via usb card for testing, but it may be bit difficult, local stores don't have any of them.

Miikka

Last edited by mlehto on 26-Jan-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Last edited by mlehto on 26-Jan-2005 at 01:59 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle