Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  2 mins ago
 matthey:  5 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  14 mins ago
 amigakit:  24 mins ago
 Mgwl:  45 mins ago
 ktadd:  49 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 Deaths_Head:  2 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  The Classic PPC OS4 Installation Thread
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
SimplePPC 
Re: The Classic PPC OS4 Installation Thread
Posted on 9-Dec-2007 13:41:30
#81 ]

@Dafs

If you use Elbox Mediator drivers make sure you dont use the OS4 rtl8029.device driver, you cannot mix the driverset you use between OS4 and the Mediatordrivers.

Also the Elbox Voodoo3 drivers never worked very well with BIG ENDIAN screenmodes, while this is the preferred setup (and only setup on most OS4 support graphics) cards.

A fix for the LT4 is planned.

Profile     Report this post  
Dafs 
Posted on 9-Dec-2007 14:07:18
#82 ]

@TiredofLife (&SimplePPC)

Just installed the fastethernet drivers from the MMCD as you would on a 3.x setup. As SimplePPC says you can't mix elbox & os4 drivers, which I can't anyway as my network card is a DMA one. Access is from a LAN so didn't have to do anything except add the interface to roadshow. DHCP seemed a bit flakey so I've set up a static IP and hosts file in the meantime.

The only problem I've had is dropped connections when doing heavy FTP from my LAN or WAN. I'm not sure if this is a Roadshow or driver issue. It happens with both Ibrowse and amiftp.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 9-Dec-2007 14:47:08
#83 ]

@Dafs

Have gone for it and am currently posting under OS4.0
I will see what else is working.

Cheers.

jaseinblack 
Posted on 9-Dec-2007 20:08:45
#84 ]

Yay! All installed and OS4ed up, apart from my NETPCM00X network card that doesn't work with OS4 - wish I'd read the compatibility guide a bit more thoroughly!

I also had fun with using SmartFileSystem on my boot partition - I hadn't got the right DOStype in there, so it wouldn't boot.

Need the network really so I can start putting some stuff on it - hopefully Amiga Explorer will work better with the new card too, it crashed all the time with NETPCM00X / OS3.9.

J

TrevorDick 
Posted on 9-Dec-2007 20:52:55
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Amigaz

Quote:
Same black screen with my Cybervision 64. I wonder if it's my Grex flashed CSPPC that's causing it...

I have a CS PPC which also has the Grex flash. Just connect a standard Amiga monitor to your Amiga RGB port. Do the installation and select Cubervison64 during the install. After the installation before rebooting (switch off the power) and connect your monitor to your CV64 output. On rebooting all should be well and your CV64 screen should display fine. You will probably need to edit your CV64 tootltypes to tune the screenmodes to your monitor.

TrevorDick

Amigaz 
Posted on 9-Dec-2007 21:13:40
#86 ]

Quote:

TrevorDick wrote:
@Amigaz

Quote:
Same black screen with my Cybervision 64. I wonder if it's my Grex flashed CSPPC that's causing it...

I have a CS PPC which also has the Grex flash. Just connect a standard Amiga monitor to your Amiga RGB port. Do the installation and select Cubervison64 during the install. After the installation before rebooting (switch off the power) and connect your monitor to your CV64 output. On rebooting all should be well and your CV64 screen should display fine. You will probably need to edit your CV64 tootltypes to tune the screenmodes to your monitor.

TrevorDick

The flash had nothing to do with my problem, I reflashed with the P5 flash but the install still stops midway after the flashing colours on screen

A1200 '030@50mhz
A500+ '030@40mhz

TetiSoft 
Posted on 9-Dec-2007 22:02:08
#87 ]
Cult Member

@Amigaz

MapROM in the CSPPC menu is OFF?
Do you see the OS4 bootmenu on the gfx board when pressing both mouse buttons?

Amigaz 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 8:36:01
#88 ]

Quote:

TetiSoft wrote:
@Amigaz

MapROM in the CSPPC menu is OFF?
Do you see the OS4 bootmenu on the gfx board when pressing both mouse buttons?

Yes, and set the RAM speed to 70ns...did everything by the book

Haven't tested to hold both mouse buttons, gonna test it when I get home + remove my Z3 Fastlane in case it causes trouble like it does with '060 CPU's if it has an old firmware ROM

A1200 '030@50mhz
A500+ '030@40mhz

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 11:08:49
#89 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Amigaz

Quote:
I wonder if it's my Grex flashed CSPPC that's causing it...

If you have a GREX enabled flashrom, the CyberVisionPPC will not work. Try to go back to an older firmware revision that doesn't have the cybpci.library (if you haven't got a real GREX installed).

SimplePPC 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 11:36:10
#90 ]

@Amigaz

Try to remove the Fastlane and ANY SCSI hardware attached to the CSPPC controller..

Thats done by unplugging the CSPPC UWSCSI cable :)

stevieu 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 11:41:37
#91 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue
@everyone

Rightio...

Well, I thought I'd post a few words to sum up my OS4 experience so far

Installation seemed to go pretty much without problem on my A1200T (Mediator-Voodoo3 3000, BPPC, FastATA-MKIII) setup. Everything installed and booted up first time.

Since installing, I have come across a few glitches; (which people know about)

Graphical trashing: After running AmigaInput, ShowConfig, or invoking a GrimReaper, Workbench gets trashed and is unusable. The titlebar is usually trashed when Workbench loads (refreshing/changing GUI preferences solves this until the next boot), as are window gadgets/textures.

Fix: Elbox Voodoo drivers? I still don't want to resort to installing those, so I will wait a bit longer, or I may just experiment a bit more.

It feels (to me) that menus etc seem to be a bit slugglish (compared to my old 68k CyberGraphX setup). When flicking through menus, they appear a bit 'jumpy', as they did when I tried P96 instead of CyberGraphX on my OS3.9 setup. Everything seemed slower with P96, but that's my opinion anyhow. Then again, I never did like P96. (first impressions). Maybe that's just me And maybe there's a reason for that.

[ED - playing mpeg videos is also slow. The video isn't being refreshed in time with the audio. They worked fine with AMP under CGFX and OS3.9, but I noticed the jumping problem when I used P96 on that, too). Maybe I'm going mad ]

Until the Voodoo problems get sorted, I can't do much more. But I may try resorting to Elbox drivers later.

First impression overall: a fantastic update, one of which feels very professional and robust. Unlike other versions of AmigaOS, you don't quite feel as 'on edge' about programs bringing down the whole system. But as expected, it still 'feels' like AmigaOS. It's hard explaining that 'feeling' to anyone outside the Amiga community, but it's something very special

[ED - and can I just try and express how much I have missed draggable screens!!]

Cheers!

Steve

Last edited by stevieu on 10-Dec-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Last edited by stevieu on 10-Dec-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Last edited by stevieu on 10-Dec-2007 at 11:42 AM.

A1200 - OS3.1: Blizzard IV 030, 64mb ram, 400mb HDD

OS4.x - Flying the AMIGA flag

IanO 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 12:07:16
#92 ]

@stevieu

Quote:
Fix: Elbox Voodoo drivers? I still don't want to resort to installing those, so I will wait a bit longer, or I may just experiment a bit more.

I agree - it does not seem simply a case of inserting the MMCD disc and running install scripts. A step by step guide however of how to install these drivers manually would be useful.

Quote:
It feels (to me) that menus etc seem to be a bit slugglish (compared to my old 68k CyberGraphX setup). When flicking through menus, they appear a bit 'jumpy', as they did when I tried P96 instead of CyberGraphX on my OS3.9 setup. Everything seemed slower with P96, but that's my opinion anyhow. Then again, I never did like P96. (first impressions). Maybe that's just me And maybe there's a reason for that.

I think this is purely down to running on an AGA screen - as soon as I abandoned my Voodoo card and use my Bvision the system is smooth as anything and fast as well.
It's certainly not slugglish when compared to my Amiga One.

Quote:
First impression overall: a fantastic update, one of which feels very professional and robust. Unlike other versions of AmigaOS, you don't quite feel as 'on edge' about programs bringing down the whole system. But as expected, it still 'feels' like AmigaOS. It's hard explaining that 'feeling' to anyone outside the Amiga community, but it's something very special

Absolutely agree as OS 3.5 and 3.9 were very musch like a series of bolt ons where as OS 4.0 feels complete. However this Mediator Lt issue must be resolved as it's fine having a nice OS but in practical terms those extras are essential. However now OS 4.0 is finally with us at least those with the necessary skills can push it to it's full potential.

Crumb 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 12:15:55
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Maybe he should check out that the flag IgnoreCVPPC isn't enabled in the bootloader in the Startup-sequence of his OS4 installation. But I can't remember if it worked checking if cybpci.library was present with a script or by code.

Anyway your CVPPC and CV64 should work OOTB. I tested CV3D, CV64, Picasso4, Prometheus+Voodoo3 and other cards and it was recognized correctly.

stevieu 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 12:23:56
#94 ]
Cult Member

@IanO

Quote:
I think this is purely down to running on an AGA screen - as soon as I abandoned my Voodoo card and use my Bvision the system is smooth as anything and fast as well.

I'm using a 24bit 1440x900 screen. Menus are quite jumpy and resizing of solid windows is rather slow.

Still, after I tried p96 with my BVision (68k OS3.9) I noticed the same with menus etc, there. CyberGraphX seemed so much faster... I wasn't expecting this in OS4 though. Still, early days yet.

[ED - playing mpeg videos is also slow. The video isn't being refreshed in time with the audio. They worked fine with AMP under CGFX and OS3.9, but I noticed the jumping problem when I used P96 on that, too). Maybe I'm going mad

Quote:
I agree - it does not seem simply a case of inserting the MMCD disc and running install scripts. A step by step guide however of how to install these drivers manually would be useful.

Yes, that does not work. After a night shift, I'm not really in the frame of mind to be fiddling too much haha It'll be more fun when those issues get sorted though.

Steve

Last edited by stevieu on 10-Dec-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Last edited by stevieu on 10-Dec-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Last edited by stevieu on 10-Dec-2007 at 12:27 PM.

A1200 - OS3.1: Blizzard IV 030, 64mb ram, 400mb HDD

OS4.x - Flying the AMIGA flag

Amigaz 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 13:22:35
#95 ]

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Amigaz

Quote:
I wonder if it's my Grex flashed CSPPC that's causing it...

If you have a GREX enabled flashrom, the CyberVisionPPC will not work. Try to go back to an older firmware revision that doesn't have the cybpci.library (if you haven't got a real GREX installed).

Tried after a reflash too, my last bet is to try without the Z3 Fastlane

I wish I knew how to see what goes wrong when it doesn't want to continue after the flashing colours...I know it's halfway thru loading the installation judging from how it looked on my A1200

Last edited by Amigaz on 10-Dec-2007 at 01:23 PM.

A1200 '030@50mhz
A500+ '030@40mhz

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 14:33:16
#96 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@stevieu

Quote:
Graphical trashing:

I think I have found that bug, if I'm right it was a race condition that I didn't handle properly. Put some mutex protection around it, I am currently testing the new kernel, if this fixes the issue, I'll see that we release it as a hotfix via hyperion-entertainment.biz.

I also added support for the newer Mediator models, that will be included as well then.

Quote:
Everything seemed slower with P96, but that's my opinion anyhow

You might want to run a speed test to confirm this. Also, if you think the menus are too slow, try disabling the fancy stuff (transparency, gradient, etc). You might also want to check whether you have made the menus blocking or not; if they are nonblocking try to make them blocking.

(edit: typo)

Last edited by Rogue on 10-Dec-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 14:35:29
#97 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Amigaz

Are your problems occurring during install or during normal operation? If it is the latter, try adding "AllowBasePageAccess" to the kernel command line, i.e.

C:BootLoader COMMANDLINE "AllowBasePageAccess"

in startup-sequence.

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 14:36:42
#98 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Crumb

Quote:
Maybe he should check out that the flag IgnoreCVPPC isn't enabled in the bootloader in the Startup-sequence of his OS4 installation. But I can't remember if it worked checking if cybpci.library was present with a script or by code.

The installation CD's startup-sequence does a version on cybpci.device and adds the flag if the library was found; this is not copied over to the system disk though unless it is checked in the installer.

Amigaz 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 14:46:56
#99 ]

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@stevieu

Quote:
Graphical trashing:

I think I have found that bug, if I'm right it was a race condition that I didn't handle properly. Put some mutex protection around it, I am currently testing the new kernel, if this fixes the issue, I'll see that we release it as a hotfix via hyperion-entertainment.biz.

I also added support for the newer Mediator models, that will be included as well then.

Quote:
Everything seemed slower with P96, but that's my opinion anyhow

You might want to run a speed test to confirm this. Also, if you think the menus are too slow, try disabling the fancy stuff (transparency, gradient, etc). You might also want to check whether you have made the menus blocking or not; if they are nonblocking try to make them blocking.

(edit: typo)

Sounds good

Do I have to register somehow to obtain that hotfix?

A1200 '030@50mhz
A500+ '030@40mhz

Amigaz 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 14:57:32
#100 ]

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Amigaz

Are your problems occurring during install or during normal operation? If it is the latter, try adding "AllowBasePageAccess" to the kernel command line, i.e.

C:BootLoader COMMANDLINE "AllowBasePageAccess"

in startup-sequence.

It's during loading of the install, the floppy boots fine and reboots the Amiga and then coninues to load and activates the cd which is started and read but then the whole process is halted after the flashing colour sequence is shown thru my scandoubler

A1200 '030@50mhz
A500+ '030@40mhz

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle