Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

eliyahu,  matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  50 secs ago
 eliyahu:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  25 mins ago
 kolla:  28 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  28 mins ago
 kriz:  33 mins ago
 kiFla:  40 mins ago
 amigakit:  52 mins ago
 Matt3k:  55 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [Poll] LimeBook PPC - FOR AmigaOS / MorphOS / AROS Developer - Evaluation
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Poll : LimeBook PPC - Only For - Developer Evaluation - Pre Orders
I will place an pre-order 1-3 Months
I will place an pre-order 3-6 Months
I will place an pre-order 6-12 Months
When its Amiga enabled or compatible
No
Pancakes
2 more weeks

PosterThread
meet.mrnrg 
Re: [Poll] LimeBook PPC - FOR AmigaOS / MorphOS / AROS Developer - Evaluation
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 11:01:47
#461 ]

Quote:
Have you even been in contact with the relevant parties to find out if they'd consider LimeBook as a target hardware, or are you just going to send the hardware blind while others take the financial hit.

On the 7th day the world was ready! But many thousands of decades later, we are not ready to leave our own Galaxy! Sorry couldn't resist.

A: 2 more weeks... (moving target)

Profile     Report this post  
AP 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 11:18:08
#462 ]
Cult Member

@meet.mrnrg:

But where is your support for the AOS4-developers? You started a bounty to sell another Limebook for the full price. I think it´s not the meaning of the bounty-system to use it for selling your stuff (maybe i should start a bounty to sell my old powermac for a good price and give it to AmigaOS-developers).

If you really want to support a port of AmigaOS4 you have to give the board to Hyperion for free. If this isn´t possible for you then loan the board to Hyperion.

It is in your own interest, that AmigaOS4 (or MOS) is ported to the Limebook, because with this extra value it is very easy to sell a lot of Limebooks to Amiga-fans. Even I will buy a Limebook with AmigaOS4 from you. Without AmigaOS4 it´s just another netbook (and there are cheaper alternatives with better support) and I already have a hp mini netbook (which i got for FREE with my mobile Internet-account).

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 11:21:36
#463 ]

@AP
I will append to this!

#1 - Read THE PDF...
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebook-ppc/Lime_Book_Purchase_Order_REV1.pdf

#2 - More bounties to provide other PPC hardware to developers could be a good idea. It would be the individuals contributions, voice, and efforts!

#3 - Loaning machines to Hyperion, or donating totally out of my pocket could become reality if more support is shown, either;
A) by my full time - Java/J2EE work
B) my part-time efforts
C) Generous contributions or purchases of more LimeBooks...

Last edited by meet.mrnrg on 20-Apr-2009 at 11:25 AM.

AP 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 11:42:18
#464 ]
Cult Member

@meet.mrnrg: Sorry, I didn´t read your PDF before. O.k., so you give the boards to a lower prize to developers, which is a good start. Although a better start would be talking to Hyperion

Troels 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 14:48:32
#465 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg

It will not become a bounty, at least not on Amigabounty.net.

If you want OS4/MOS/AROS for it, you need to pay for the porting effort. If f.ex. Hyperion wants it it must be because the think it's good business and then they will ofcourse have to buy their limebooks themselves.

For hardware solutions you really need to go straight to Hyperion and see if they are interested. I doubt they are, or perhaps they already have their own Limebooks for development?

I have also been asked to remove or edit the bounty by one of the three development teams that didn't like to be connected with your Ebay sales methods.
The bounty will be removed later on today when I have the time.

Good luck with any future project.
Troels, Amigabounty.net

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 15:16:07
#466 ]
Team Member

@meet.mrnrg

Quote:
if you didn't hear SonyErricson laid of thousand more workers! The Gaming industry took a nose dive in profits for the first time.

Its not atypical for you do this. Make inane responses (IMHO). And just so you know, purposely inane responses violate TOS here. Beyond that, you insult the readership here IMHO.

Quote:
French and Spanish LimeOS is ready! Boxing and Manuals are being translated -- Work in progress!

Thats nice. But again, you choose to avoid the question. Why should the membership here financially support your ebay sales for two Limebooks, when its unclear that there will ever be enough Limebooks in the U.S. and Europe for interested Amiga users if you get an Amiga-like OS ported? Printing the manual in French off a printer in China has nothing to do with making a machine accessible to retail in France.

Amiga 1200

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 16:01:48
#467 ]

@Troels

No email confirmation? Can I have them removed instead?

billt 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 16:09:34
#468 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg

I don't really think the software porting bounty site is intended to be a marketing/sales channel for your hardware. The bounty system was set up to motivate effective ports of software. I do not believe that having other people buy Hyperion a Limebook from you will have any effect whatsoever in seeing OS4 ported to it.

If you give Hans-Joerg or Thomas a LimeBook, what will they do with it? Hyperion has a process for porting to different hardware. You appear to be completely ignoring that. There is a porting fee involved. Give them a laptop and nothing else, and they will do nothing with it. Go read the old discussions, they talked about a 20000 ($? Euro? I forget the currency now) fee to do the porting. YOU need to find out what the current fee is and get that paid for before they'll take the damn thing out of the box.

As I've tried very hard to suggest before, *GO TALK TO HYPERION* and find out what their current hardware porting process and fees are. Until you do that, all this showing pictures and saying somebody that you'd like to call an OS developer could theoretically play with or experiment with this laptop is a complete and total waste of time. You need to motivate these hypothetical developers to actually DO anything. I have not in this thread seen anything whatsoever from you about that.

If you want everyone else here to do, make happen, and pay for everything that's required to get This Amiga(-alike) OS porting to LimeBook hardware business going, then expect we the people to remove you from that business. The things you say in this tread make me think you as an individual are not needed for your business.

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 16:19:51
#469 ]

@billt

20000 ($? Euro?) where is this stated? Is it an official statement on the Hyperion Website? Can this be given in writing?

Theirs no need for me being removed, but some others seem to think that removing threads or posts or bounties is going to make them look powerful and in-control. etc. etc. That's their choice, and I think in time they should be more open and friendly. Its not as if we are working with millions of members or users here.

The capacity in which LimeBooks will be able to be delivered in mass quantities will only become "verified truth" after it actually happens.

Luckily the Amiga Community is not dying of thirst! We have Sam440ep and SamFlexes coming to keep the PPC guys moving along. NatAmi is also hope of expansion in the classic world!

Last edited by meet.mrnrg on 20-Apr-2009 at 04:35 PM.

billt 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 16:43:38
#470 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg

OK, I used amigaworld's search function on your behalf. If we all have to do everything for you, I'm going to start asking you pay me pretty soon. Or if I have to invest in your laptop business, I want shares.

Rogue says:
Quote:
As I said before, the approximate cost for a new port is around 20k Euro.

Rogue also says:
Quote:
This is what it would approximately cost Hyperion. I don't know what additional costs are involved.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 16:45:18
#471 ]
Team Member

@meet.mrnrg

Quote:
20000 ($? Euro?) where is this stated? Is it an official statement on the Hyperion Website? Can this be given in writing?

Why don't you contact them and ask? How many times do people need to state the obvious to you (and this very specific point to boot)? Are you doing this to just keep the thread on the front page of AW.net perhaps? Hmmm.

Quote:
Theirs no need for me being removed, but some others seem to think that removing threads or posts or bounties is going to make them look powerful and in-control. etc. etc. That's their choice, and I think in time they should be more open and friendly. Its not as if we are working with millions of members or users here.

Troels is widely regarded as an asset to this community. Trying to twist your abuse of a bounty system back on him is pretty disgusting to be honest.

And what threads or posts have been removed?? You've been given an extremely wide amount of latitude on your sales thread here. There has been no censorship, even when you posted three angles of the same shot of a power brick in styrofoam to bump your thread multiple times.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Amiga 1200

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 16:48:56
#472 ]

@billt
I like to be reasonable. If I can give back for people's contributions then great!

OK, I must admit you are right about the 20K, I would prefer US, as I don't get paid in EURO right now, but that's what the exchange rates are for right! I do remember this being mentioned a few times in forums and offline discussions.

All I can say right now, is at least the TARGET for raising money has been set. In saying that also makes the project more challenging.

I want other projects to succeed but I must admit, now I am wanting AmigaBook (aka LimeBook).

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 16:53:11
#473 ]

@fairlanefastback

Discussions will be had, soon - if accepted!
At least now, there is more assurances of both supply and demand. I will seek to further verify personally, all of the thing bellow;
1) FCC and other clearances
2) Import licenses for mass scale imports & exports
3) Further assurances of production level volumes of LimeBook.
4) Anything else...

billt 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 18:43:46
#474 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg

Quote:
All I can say right now, is at least the TARGET for raising money has been set. In saying that also makes the project more challenging.

Also realize that the 20000euro was three years ago, that discussion I linked to/quoted form was March 2006. YOU need to ask Hyperion if that amount is still valid or if things have changed since then. If I happen to ask them this kind of question, it's because I have a business proposal for them of my own. I will not ask and give you current porting fee, if YOU want to be in the AmigaOS hardware business then YOU need to do something for yourself. It's not that hard to talk to Hyperion. If you can't take on that task yourself, then you really should not be attempting to enter the Amiga hardware business.

I do want an Amiga laptop very much. That's part of why I know a little about the contacting Hyperion stuff. As a hypothetical competitor to you, I will not do everything for you in your business without pay, and I do encourage others to leave you with some action items to carry out yourself in your business plan.

Quote:
I would prefer US, as I don't get paid in EURO

Where is Hyperion located? They get to decide if they're agreeable to $$s. You can of course ask if they'd be open to negotiating, but you're going to have to talk to them about that yourself.

Last edited by billt on 20-Apr-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Last edited by billt on 20-Apr-2009 at 06:44 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 18:48:42
#475 ]
Team Member

@all

I've emailed the people that handle the AROS bounty system (a couple of days later than I had hoped to). Anyway, hopefully they will accept my bounty idea. Here it is as I sent it to them:

Quote:
proposed bounty:
Native port of AROS to any non-x86 powered laptop/netbook/notebook platform that is not Apple branded equipment and was (or will be) produced any time after 2007. Examples of qualifying machines would be the Limebook, Pegatron ARM-based netbook, and the YeeLoong8089. The port shall include AROS Core, arosTCP and current arosTCP drivers in order to qualify.

With the wording it will not conflict with existing the Asus eeePC bounty and will not cover used Apple PPC equipment, keeping this to newer hardware.

I used requirements that are the same as two other recent bounties to be consistent (the Peg2 and EFIKA bounties).

If the bounty is approved I will send in a donation for it.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Amiga 1200

RhapsodyGuru 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 19:33:06
#476 ]

Hmm... it seems like our friend meet.mrnrg is quite dense... :/

Look... get Hyperion to back you up, and you have my money for a LimeBook.

If you cannot guarantee a port... then forget it.

Was I clear enough for you?

Guru

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 20:05:31
#477 ]

@ALL

FCC NOTE: (LimeBook is Approved under FCC)
THE MANUFACTURER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY RADIO OR TV INTERFERENCE CAUSED
BY UNAUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS TO THIS EQUIPMENT. SUCH MODIFICATIONS COULD
VOID THE USER’S AUTHORITY TO OPERATE THE EQUIPMENT.

NOTE: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits
for a Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules. These
limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful
interference in a residential installation.

This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and,
if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause
harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no
guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation.

If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television
reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and
on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or
more of the following measures:
*Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
*Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
*Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that
to which the receiver is connected.
*Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.

Lime Book - Manual
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebook-ppc/lime_book_manual.pdf

FCC - Test Lab - Image

Last edited by meet.mrnrg on 20-Apr-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Last edited by meet.mrnrg on 20-Apr-2009 at 08:20 PM.

RhapsodyGuru 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 20:39:05
#478 ]

@meet.mrnrg

o_O

Finally... :)

Guru

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 22:26:21
#479 ]

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 22:26:35
#480 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle