Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 160 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  6 secs ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 amigasociety:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 19 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 30 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 47 mins ago
 Matt3k:  5 hrs 3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /   amiga.com back! For the Future?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
elatour 
Re: amiga.com back! For the Future?
Posted on 1-Nov-2010 23:25:20
#41 ]
Cult Member

@Thread

The most perplexing thing about the press release concerning the C=USA licensing deal with Amiga Inc. is as follows:

Quote:
Our efforts will now continue in acquiring the third and final brand license, completing our quest for the total technology trifecta. Stay tuned...the best is yet to come!"

Which are they referring to I wonder - Amiga Inc. (IP and all) or AmigaOS? Is this possibly related to the "next great and exciting thing to come soon" that BigBenAussie that was aluding to a few weeks ago?

Hmmm...

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 1-Nov-2010 23:29:09
#42 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

Again...you have missed a lot of talk.
That was already discussed.

At the time most people assumed AROS. Not now, of course.

Pete 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 0:33:36
#43 ]

Where is Snowman Maker??! Damn it, I've been saving my pennies waiting for Amiga.com to come back, now here I am with my wallet at the ready, and it's gone. GONE. :(

elatour 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 0:35:04
#44 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Huh?! I don't think so, but it is possible I suppose. So if I did, then what is it? I can't imagine people thinking it was AROS seeing as this was already mentionned in the same press release and not as in terms of this third mystery acquisition. Wouldn't have been much of a mystery if they had mentionned it a few sentences before that, would it?

I had seen the press release on the Commodore USA site, but so many people here claimed that it was crap and a lie seeing as Amiga Inc. was proclaimed to be dead. With Amiga Inc. now confirming they still have some breath left in them and showing that the announcement made by C=USA some two months ago was indeed legitimate, it still leaves one to wonder what those statements meant. Did anyone such as BigBenAussie or someone else from C=USA clarify what was meant by this third acquisition. Again, I'm not interested in people's conjecture regarding this but actual things confirmed by C=USA.

If that third thing hasn't been revealed yet, do you not agree that the question remains a valid one does it not?

Last edited by elatour on 02-Nov-2010 at 12:39 AM.

number6 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 0:42:26
#45 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

Quote:
If that third thing hasn't been revealed yet, do you not agree that the question remains a valid one does it not?

Leo mentioned approaching Hyperion about "cases". But I wouldn't read more into it than what was posted.

Post #115 & #116 will probably interest you

Last edited by number6 on 02-Nov-2010 at 12:53 AM.

elatour 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 1:22:29
#46 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:
Leo mentioned approaching Hyperion about "cases". But I wouldn't read more into it than what was posted.

Yeah, I had read that thread, but I did not get from that thread where he specifically addressed the question of what this third mystery acquisition mentionned in the press release was. That is unless, once again, I missed it.

number6 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 1:29:46
#47 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

The reference in the news report was to "trifecta". That is either an obvious reference to -Commodore- -Amiga- -AmigaOS-, or the word was just used to spur conversation. If you want detail about the choice of that word, just ask Leo.
I can't point you to a public post where he specifically stated such a fact.

Exact quote:

Quote:
Our efforts will now continue in acquiring the third and final brand license, completing our quest for the total technology trifecta.

"third and final brand" is not vague is it?

Last edited by number6 on 02-Nov-2010 at 01:46 AM.

elatour 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 1:54:16
#48 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Actually, may be this is what you saw, but I saw the complete Amiga brand and IP ownership (all of Amiga Inc.) like we've seen announced Today on the web (Amiga Inc. including IP and brands up for sale). AmigaOS was clearly not for sale or up for grabs, so I did not/do not see this as a possibility. Another possibility is AmigaDE and/or AmigaAnywhere of course, but who knows really at this point without them clarifying further.

Ok, so can we at least agree that it is still up in the air until clarified by Leo, so still a valid question?

@BigBenAussie
Care to clarify this one Leo? I realize that you may not be able to get into specifics here, but can you at least clarify whether the announced plans for a third acquisition had anything to do with Hyperion and/or A-EON and is still relevent, or whether this did not have anything to do with these companies whatsoever and still remains something that is still in progess/negotiations and to be announced at a later date if successful?

Last edited by elatour on 02-Nov-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Last edited by elatour on 02-Nov-2010 at 01:58 AM.

number6 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 2:07:45
#49 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

Quote:
Ok, so can we at least agree that it is still up in the air until clarified by Leo, so still a valid question?

That depends on whether Leo, as a liason, is allowed to answer such a question.

Barry writes with provocation to illicit a response. Don't forget that he made use of the logo intentionally to "draw out" the actual current license holder.
If you look at the statement we are discussing and apply that knowledge of how he operates...it's obvious to me that he intended to learn more from making the statement. The statement had zero meaning in and of itself.
Look at what happened.
MorphOS and OS4 approached - obviously not the outcome they wished or we WOULD have heard about it.
Next he/they move on to discussing AROS.
Hyperion immediately threatens legal action against them on this very website..not once, but twice. Yes...in public.
Then they admit not once, but twice that they only approached Amiga Inc. since the effort to work with Hyperion failed.
Now they are onto discussing ubuntu and windows.

My conclusion is that they made effort to get what they really wanted, and have been taking steps backwards to a plan B, then a plan C, etc.
Beyond that, of course, they seem to have a fascination with this website.

elatour 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 3:13:13
#50 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but here is what does not make sense to me in that chronology. So they approach MorphOS and OS4, which apparently fail and which then "leads" them to conclude/back track and announce their intent to make Commodore Amiga branded systems with AROS installed on them - or at least according to your conclusions with regards to what lead them to this anyway - so why then announce a third mystery acquisition in that same press release - which according to you would be AOS4 (you said this was AROS originally) - once they had already come to the conclusion that AOS4 and MorphOS was not a possibility? I'm seriously confused here, because I can see how they might have gone to Hyperion and MorphOS then ended up with AROS, but not why they would announce a third mystery acqusition if it was something they had already concluded was not a possibility. BigBenAussie points to some new exciting announcement to come soon, but this is many weeks after AROS was dropped from the equation, a month or more after the press release and months after Hyperion and MorphOS were both approached and rejected, so this to me does not jive with your conclusions, but again, feel free to enlighten me if you think I have missed something...again.

Last edited by elatour on 02-Nov-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Last edited by elatour on 02-Nov-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Last edited by elatour on 02-Nov-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Last edited by elatour on 02-Nov-2010 at 03:13 AM.

number6 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 3:28:45
#51 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

I think for anyone trying to get a handle on all of this, you would be best served making a timeline.
Obviously I did not do that by throwing out some quick responses to you.
Once you order that timeline with the statments made, perhaps a picture will emerge that is much more clear.
For my part...well...I asked a few questions at the start which were never answered. After that elatour, I've mostly just chatted with wolftothemoon, who has been extremely civil about the whole affair, and tried to maintain some peace.
In that vein, the long thread started by a moderator to determine how to maintain the peace and still allow for discussion has not led to any changes to this website as of yet.

As to:
Quote:
so this to me does not jive with your conclusions,

Why not? The facts are they did back peddle with their "want list".
It's a business. Do you think they would admit publically they are settling for something less than they set out to do? Or is it not more likely that they would continue to say "more big announcements coming"?
They are going to play up what they are doing in either case. Barry is no fool.
He's a businessman. And frankly, what is a big announcement to one reader here, is not necessarily of any consequence whatsoever to the next anyway.

elatour 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 3:38:23
#52 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:
The facts are they did back peddle with their "want list".
It's a business. Do you think they would admit publically they are settling for something less than they set out to do? Or is it not more likely that they would continue to say "more big announcements coming"?

Well, is this not precisely what they did in admitting to it (back peddling, without calling it that of course), and here - twice as you mentionned in an earlier post - and so publicly?

Anyway, both of us are guessing since this has not been clarified. So let's just agree to disagree on the conclusion and what was meant, because I don't think that your version or interpretations of events and statements is anymore factual than mine at at this point.

Like I said before, my interpretation in reading between the lines at what BigBenAussie and C=USA were saying was always that they were hinting at getting everything else that Amiga Inc. had available for sale, including IP and brands, whether through outright acquisition of the company or licencing all of it's remaining brands and/or IP. I find it interesting given that line of thought, that it would not turn out that Amiga Inc. is basically for sale now some two months later, which is very convenient, IMHO. It's hardly proof, but it is interestingly coincidental...at least to my way of thinking. To me, it was always crystal clear that although AmigaOS and AmigaOne belonged to Amiga Inc. but were licensed exclisvely to Hyperion in perpetuity (a.ka. forever/til the end of time), that these brands were not available to anyone else regardless of what happenned to Amiga Inc., and so were not up for grabs. I guess some people thought that C=USA might be plotting to buy or license AOS4 from Hyperion or buy Hyperion outright, but I find that very unlikely and C=USA ever thought of doing either of these things. They always refuted the possibility or wisdom of paying Hyperion or anyone else for that matter to do a port of AOS4 to x86 (assuming they could even convince Hyperion to do it), and I can't imagine that people actually believed that they would even think of buying Hyperion and then fund this port themselves internally.

Last edited by elatour on 02-Nov-2010 at 03:38 AM.

number6 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 3:50:07
#53 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

Quote:
So let's just agree to disagree on the conclusion and what was meant, because I don't think that your version or interpretations of events and statements is anymore factual than mine at at this point.

Agreed.
But if you continue to devote time and thought to all of this, don't forget the
human element. Particularly the one labelled "ego".
You won't solve your equation without including that in your calculations.

elatour 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 3:53:49
#54 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Ok, I'm seriously hoping that by that human element you meant theirs (C=USA and BigBenAussie) and not mine. Otherwise, I may just take offense to that statement.

number6 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 4:10:34
#55 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

Quote:
Ok, I'm seriously hoping that by that human element you meant theirs (C=USA and BigBenAussie) and not mine. Otherwise, I may just take offense to that statement.

I've known you too long and respect you too much to ever make such a connection. I only mention ego, because you seem to focus on logic so much.
There is little logic involved in parts of this story. There is, though, a lot of undying ill will from management types amigaland wide.
I suppose that comes with the territory.

linnar 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 7:17:08
#56 ]
Cult Member

@number6
@elatour

Interesting Discussion!

ChrisH 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 9:07:10
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas Quote:
Their plans is probably to sabotage OS4.x/hyperion/acube/aeon plans just like they have been doing for the last decade or so.

Naaah, I don't think that has ever been their intention. AmigaOS4 was one of their last remaining potential assets, which I think they wanted to sell (*), if they could pry it from Hyperion. Now that failed, they seem to be selling their body (name, ip, etc). After selling what little assets they have left, it makes sense for Amiga Inc to be wound-up.

(* = although the amount of money they spent on lawyers does suggest they might have had an additional motive.)

@elatour Quote:
a lie seeing as Amiga Inc. was proclaimed to be dead

It makes perfect sense, if Amiga Inc is trying to make a bit of money by selling their few remaining assets, before winding themselves up.

Last edited by ChrisH on 02-Nov-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Dandy 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 9:19:29
#58 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

Quote:

elatour wrote:
@Thread

Quote:

Our efforts will now continue in acquiring the third and final brand license, completing our quest for the total technology trifecta. Stay tuned...the best is yet to come!"

Which are they referring to I wonder - Amiga Inc. (IP and all) or AmigaOS? Is this possibly related to the "next great and exciting thing to come soon" that BigBenAussie that was aluding to a few weeks ago?

Hmmm...

[ironic mode]
Noooo - I bet they're trying to accuire the Windows/Intel brand license...
(Think big!)
[/ironic mode]

Dandy

freeaks 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 9:36:01
#59 ]

at least, what's good is,
!c=usa made some bad moves already, toward their intention, and toward this community.
they showed their true colors, so hopefully there won't be much ppl left wanting to believe, like that was the case with ainc at the beginning. we already saw from !c=usa:

- bad professional atitude.
- kind of broken promises already
- a ceo that don't care about aros (their only one connection amiga related),
- and calling us names (muddy pond and whatnot ..) fighting against community.
- bad business plan .. to use the brand to sell windows machines (insulting)

talk about a bad start !

hopefully noone (or only a very few) would believe in them and buy their stuffs and they can go bankrupt soon.

freeaks 
Posted on 2-Nov-2010 9:38:53
#60 ]

at least by law they're not allowed to use "amigaos" name.
hyperion vs ainc case gave full rights to hyperion for that name.

so they won't be able to damage that name.
that's a good point.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle