Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
27 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  38 mins ago
 Bruce72:  39 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 Troels:  3 hrs 7 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 22 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  X1000 and OS 4.2
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Panthro 
Re: X1000 and OS 4.2
Posted on 21-Jul-2011 23:33:00
#61 ]

although I must admit it probably because of OS4.2 that it is delayed!

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Posted on 21-Jul-2011 23:37:43
#62 ]

@opi

Quote:
Quote:
http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/EnvironmentSetup/AmigaOS

It seems that this project is dead in the water.

based on the initial enthusiasm and stream of feedback to the community, and then sudden silence and no put-backs to the repo since february, it certainly seems abandoned at this point. it's possible the project is still 'on,' but it doesn't look like it at this point.

i would very much like to be wrong on this!

-- eliyahu

Fab 
Posted on 21-Jul-2011 23:44:33
#63 ]

@eliyahu

Well, it was totally utopic to hope someone completely unfamiliar with AmigaOS would be able to complete (or even seriously start, actually) this kind of project.

wawa 
Posted on 21-Jul-2011 23:47:43
#64 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

it is really better like that. i prefer it dead than delayed forever and sticky like a bubble gum, waking hopes. it was easy to estimate by the initial momentum that it was doomed to fail. just like countless other examples, and no, im not talking just about os4 related stuff. however, by now everybody here should know very well how to judge for himelf.

eliyahu 
Posted on 21-Jul-2011 23:54:18
#65 ]

@wawa

Quote:
it is really better like that. i prefer it dead than delayed forever and sticky like a bubble gum, waking hopes. it was easy to estimate by the initial momentum that it was doomed to fail. just like countless other examples, and no, im not talking just about os4 related stuff. however, by now everybody here should know very well how to judge for himelf.

yes and no. it certainly would be nice to know if the developer working on the port has in fact, either temporarily or permanently, halted work. but i don't think that certainty exists yet.

there's nothing to prevent anyone else picking up the baton, but with not even the build environment complete, i doubt anyone will attempt it -- especially given the complexity of 'openoffice lite' as a whole. darn shame. it could also have been a base for work by guys like @Fab to start on a version for MOS as well and benefited the entire NG community

but i really do appreciate the effort nonetheless, and especially trevor (among others) who supported the port effort logistically and otherwise.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 21-Jul-2011 at 11:55 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 0:29:18
#66 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

hey, wake up, he has realised he isnt going to make it and put it in the dusty corner. like everybody would. why are you obsessed with these official statements so much? statements are for politicians. do you really trust them too? observe and try to estimate the development pace by yourself. and then make your choices.

Quote:

darn shame. it could also have been a base for work by guys like @Fab to start on a version for MOS as well and benefited the entire NG community

i think fab has spoken honest words. learn to live with it. when we shake off illusions the community might grow some strength again.

Last edited by wawa on 22-Jul-2011 at 12:38 AM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 0:41:04
#67 ]

@wawa

Quote:
hey, wake up, he has realised he isnt going to make it and put it in the dusty corner. like everybody would.

as i said, you're probably right. i don't think it is in the cards any more, either. i just don't know that to be true. i think it's true, but i don't know it.

Quote:
why are you obsessed with these official statements so much? statements are for politicians. do you really trust them too?

no, of course not.

Quote:
observe and try to estimate the development pace by yourself. and then make your choices.

i already have. as i stated, my estimate is that the project is dead at this point. i would just like to know for sure before characterizing my estimate as fact. you know, with how this sounds, maybe deep down, i'm a lawyer. heaven forbid!

-- eliyahu

eliyahu 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 0:45:30
#68 ]

@wawa

Quote:
i think fab has spoken honest words. learn to live with it. when we shake off illusions the community might grow some strength again.

i don't take any of this that seriously. it's not an issue of 'learning to live with it' because it's just not that important. when i said it was a 'darn shame,' i think it is. just like when the weather is bad. doesn't mean i can't enjoy the rest of the day.

remember, i'm just here because i enjoy my SAM. i have no illusions that it, or anything associated with the amiga community, is ever going to be anything beyond an enjoyable diversion. so when things happen, either good or bad, i take it in stride. it really isn't that important to me. i think you've gotten used to the die-hards.

-- eliyahu

wawa 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 0:49:52
#69 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

lets be agnostic, and asssume all projects, you dont have a proof of being alive, are dead. i can assure you we will be closest to truth. and in case we are not, there will be a nice surprise. in the meantime our attention can be directed towads more reasonable goals, where we all can contribute.

wawa 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 0:54:31
#70 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

@wawa

Quote:

i don't take any of this that seriously. it's not an issue of 'learning to live with it' because it's just not that important. when i said it was a 'darn shame,' i think it is. just like when the weather is bad. doesn't mean i can't enjoy the rest of the day.

remember, i'm just here because i enjoy my SAM. i have no illusions that it, or anything associated with the amiga community, is ever going to be anything beyond an enjoyable diversion. so when things happen, either good or bad, i take it in stride. it really isn't that important to me. i think you've gotten used to the die-hards.

yet you invest your time. me too. because of my 68k aga/rtg gear i enjoy as well. i just dont like that fruitless waiting.

eliyahu 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 0:55:08
#71 ]

@wawa

Quote:
lets be agnostic, and asssume all projects, you dont have a proof of being alive, are dead. i can assure you we will be closest to truth. and in case we are not, there will be a nice surprise. in the meantime our attention can be directed towads more reasonable goals, where we all can contribute.

fair enough. in any case, no need to keep arguing over semantics about what is 'true' versus what is an 'estimate.' i never liked when threads derailed over linguistics.

'you know what i call semantics?'

Quote:
yet you invest your time. me too. because of my 68k aga/rtg gear i enjoy as well. i just dont like that fruitless waiting.

exactly. i don't either. that's why i try take everything around here with a grain of salt. i get excited over the possibility, but don't actually bank on it ever happening.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 22-Jul-2011 at 12:57 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 1:22:21
#72 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu
what about semantics, was that some quote? i dont get it..
grain of salt at least is clear. you dont take it in yours enemy house. ok, so lets jest again? no, better tomorrow, time to sleep here around.

eliyahu 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 1:40:01
#73 ]

@wawa

Quote:
what about semantics, was that some quote? i dont get it..
grain of salt at least is clear. you dont take it in yours enemy house. ok, so lets jest again? no, better tomorrow, time to sleep here around.

yeah, it was a quote from the BBC comedy 'the thick of it' about british politics. one of the characters, malcolm tucker (who is actually a thinly-disguised alastair campbell), is known for his rather, er, flowerly language and pithy one-liners. i always remember that scene when i hear the word 'semantics.'

no jest needed. i think we get each other's viewpoint. by the way, you and i agree on more than i let on.

-- eliyahu

Gebrochen 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 2:39:10
#74 ]

@eliyahu

Sounds painful needing to take everything like that, one granule at a time.

IMagine all that time wasted anaylsing granules of salt weather they be true or not, or fact or fiction, none of us would ever find time to go to work.

So I understand what you meant though, how there is always room to be excited over nice announcements, even if they may be nothing more than a pipedream in the end.

HOWEVER

There is no proof that it is a pipedream, nor, may I say, would I want them to bring it out on user demands, id rather let them take their time, and get everything working correctly first.

Cheers

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

sundown 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 4:31:21
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Gebrochen

Quote:
There is no proof that it is a pipedream, nor, may I say, would I want them to bring it out on user demands, id rather let them take their time, and get everything working correctly first.

Always the best plan, but there are ppl who delay releasing a program because they know it has bugs. Some coders will delay releasing their app because they feel its not ready. In the end, the app may never get released.

wawa 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 11:20:04
#76 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

just bundle and release what you feel is ready.

sundown 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 17:09:28
#77 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I'm not a coder, wish I was. I do know some coders are reluctant to release their code, You can pick them out when the version number is v0.x & never reaches 1.x. Not that its bad, DvPlayer has yet to reach v1 & its been out for years.

Hondo 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 19:45:06
#78 ]

Who gives a damn about desktop openoffice for kids, now that cloud apps are the next big coming! - all we need is a good up to date browser.

Mechanic 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 21:12:25
#79 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Quote:

Hondo wrote:
- all we need is a good up to date browser.

Well, the cow across the street just had a new calf.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 21:25:54
#80 ]
Cult Member

@Mechanic

Well seriously, that's what I was thinking. Sure, Google-docs, for instance, is miles away from being a proper office solution but would, for instance, Timberwolf be enough to have access to Google-docs on the Amiga? Or would there still be a need for, say, JAVA?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle