Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 153 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  26 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  37 mins ago
 VooDoo:  56 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 marcofreeman:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiwest 2012
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
SACC-dude 
Re: Amiwest 2012
Posted on 29-Aug-2012 5:25:23
#221 ]

@amigadave

I moved to Sacramento in 1995, Joined S.A.C.C. and have been an active member since.
I served twice as vp and was part of the founding Amiwest committee.

I've only missed one Amiwest (due to health) over the years.

I signed on to the web sites as a SACC-person in part to help inform and share amiga.

Michael

Profile     Report this post  
RobertB 
Posted on 29-Aug-2012 20:49:49
#222 ]

amigadave wrote:
Quote:
I don't remember any auctions for the last 4 or 5 years...

The only auction I remember in the last few years was for the Amiga joypad (from Carl Sassenrath?). The bidding was fairly intense on the floor for that item.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

amigadave 
Posted on 30-Aug-2012 2:43:07
#223 ]

@SACC-dude

Michael,

Please introduce yourself to me (again) at this year's show and also tell me that your nickname is SACC-dude. If you are the same SACC member who contacted me a few years ago about helping with the Amiga Game Competition that I organized for 2 or 3 years in a row, I remember your emails.

I don't have the energy to organize, or run the Amiga Game Competition any more, but I wish someone would start it up again at the AmiWest Show. If it were organized and promoted right, I think it could be very popular at the show.

I think it should be a requirement on the name tags this year, to include a persons real name and nickname. That will make it easier to remember who people are, after the AmiWest Show is over.

I have probably met you and maybe even talked with you at one of the past 4 AmiWest Shows.

I guess I wasn't paying attention when the auction for Carl Sassenrath's JoyBoard was being auctioned two years ago. That was a very busy show for me, but I was lucky enough to buy a few things, like one of Carl Sassenrath's NOS boxed and never opened CDTV's. That is one of my pride and joys of Amiga gear, even though most Amiga users don't value the CDTV much.

Looking forward to seeing you again, or meeting you for the first time, this Oct.

SACC-dude 
Posted on 30-Aug-2012 4:12:52
#224 ]

@amigadave

We've meet and talked several times.
You also helped me with Papasaur and his pack. (I'm sacc-**** at morphzone)

I been thinking about your generous offer last year and giving away a morph/mac machine.

What would you or anyone on this site think would be a great donation to SACC/AmiWest...
so that they could draw people to Amiwest.

What item would you come to the show to win???

M

realize 
Posted on 30-Aug-2012 4:55:34
#225 ]

@SACC-dude

Quote:
What would you or anyone on this site think would be a great donation to SACC/AmiWest... so that they could draw people to Amiwest.

An idea to draw people into the show would be some sort of bounty system or something to get Amiga personalities and/or developers to come to the show.

For instance Dave Haynie, Todor Fay, Joe Torre, Kermit Woodall, etc etc

This would make the show more appealing.

What i'm trying to figure it is the show is 2 months away and I see almost zero promotion for it. Only here.. ?????

amigadave 
Posted on 30-Aug-2012 5:00:51
#226 ]

@SACC-dude

Like I wrote many times before, it is really hard to put faces and names (and nicknames) together before and after the AmiWest Shows.

I hope you are not offended that I am having trouble remembering talking to you during any of the AmiWest Shows. I am always so busy during the shows with my display table(s), trying to see everything else that is going on, meeting and talking with people, and some years, either working on a presentation, or on the Amiga Game Competition contest. I am sure as soon as I see your face, I will remember more. I never forget faces (maybe I should rephrase that and say that I never USED TO forget any faces), but I am not good at remembering names.

It was two years ago when I gave away my G4 eMac as the grand prize for the Amiga Game Competition contest, which my good friends Tim and Chris did all the work in setting it up and running it to determine who the winner was. Unless you are referring to the two G4 MacMini's that I donated to programmers interested in programming for MorphOS3.x that I gave away, but that was after last year's AmiWest Show.

As for what prizes might entice some more people to show up at this year's AmiWest Show, the obvious answer for OS4.x users would be an X1000 computer with 2nd choice being a SAM 460ex, for MorphOS3.x users, a G4 PowerBook is the prize of choice, and for Classic Amiga users, the ultimate prize would probably be a Phase5 Cyberstorm PPC/060 accelerator board, but the probability of getting any of those items donated to give away, or raffle off during the show is slim to zero chance. Cash always works as an incentive for most people, but again, not a feasible choice. This brings us back to what happens every year, we just try to get the best donations from companies and individuals who attend the show, or can't attend, but want to support it, and regular Amiga users like me who donate some kind of gear, or software to be given away during the show.

Too bad we haven't heard anything about the Hyperion PPC NetBook. There are a lot of people who seem to be interested in getting one of those, so that would have been a great prize to get more people to show up at AmiWest this year.

amigadave 
Posted on 30-Aug-2012 5:17:55
#227 ]

@realize

Quote:

realize wrote:
@SACC-dude

Quote:
What would you or anyone on this site think would be a great donation to SACC/AmiWest... so that they could draw people to Amiwest.

An idea to draw people into the show would be some sort of bounty system or something to get Amiga personalities and/or developers to come to the show.

For instance Dave Haynie, Todor Fay, Joe Torre, Kermit Woodall, etc etc

This would make the show more appealing.

What i'm trying to figure it is the show is 2 months away and I see almost zero promotion for it. Only here.. ?????

I agree that there should be more promotion of the AmiWest Shows, but without charging for the shows, which no one wants to do, there is no budget for advertising it anywhere, so Amiga forums are the only places that are free and likely to produce any good results.

I also agree that having well known names of past Amiga developers, hardware engineers, or just users that made a name for themselves in the Amiga community in the past, is appealing to many potential show attendees. I have one of them in mind and have already begun the contact process, but getting anyone to show up to such a small show is difficult. It was really great having Carl Sassenrath show up at AmiWest two years ago. I also have an idea for next year that won't work for this year.

If anyone has contact info with well known Amiga developers, hardware engineers, or users that might like to attend AmiWest, they should forward this information to the SACC group, so an official invitation can be sent to such people.

tekmage 
Posted on 30-Aug-2012 6:40:38
#228 ]

@realize

We are all ears if you have any suggestions. As AmigaDave pointed out our budget is small so we do what we can. AmigaDave makes a good point about contacting folks to drum up support. I've already sent a few emails, I'd like to ask you do the same. Who knows, maybe we will have a few surpise guests this year :)

Cheers,
Bill

SACC-dude 
Posted on 30-Aug-2012 7:57:40
#229 ]

@realize
OK, please tell us where do we promote?
no amigaworld mag, no amazing computing, (no NYC dealers) in fact no stores in the usa

I always post to amiga.org and now even to morphzone.
The mods are quite nice to allow amiwest promo threads...

BTW, some of these folks appear every year.
They just don't commit, so amiwest can't promote their presence.

But, it's not vendors or famous amiga star that draw...

it's users that draw the vendors (who want people there to buy)
or amiga stars who want to talk to amiga users.

See the chicken/egg problem.

How would you promote the show???

M

Last edited by SACC-dude on 30-Aug-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Last edited by SACC-dude on 30-Aug-2012 at 08:00 AM.

number6 
Posted on 5-Sep-2012 22:12:33
#230 ]
Elite Member

@thread

AmiWest 2012 Hotel Room Rates at the Ramada Plaza Cal Expo!

SACC-dude 
Posted on 6-Sep-2012 2:46:27
#231 ]

@realize

Can you tell me more about how a bounty works?
Even if you won't come personally... support the only amiga show in the usa!

@all
If you are a Amiga vendor... sales, repair, hardware dev, software dev...

Send your flyer, business card, we will display them.

Better yet, come and talk up your services. Users and devs from around the globe are here every year.

If you know a amiga (*) tell them about Amiwest 2012.

amigadave 
Posted on 6-Sep-2012 3:24:24
#232 ]

@SACC-dude

I don't know how or where would be the best place to set up a bounty to support each AmiWest Show, but perhaps setting up a new bounty each year, right after the show occurs, would be a great idea to raise funds to improve the show. There might be several people who cannot attend, in addition to those who can, who would be willing to donate some money to help improve the show each year. This bounty money could be combined with what ever is received from the AmiWest Show sponsors, to make each show better.

Personally, I would not want the money spent on advertising, as I don't think that advertising is going to increase attendance the most. I think that other things that have already been mentioned, like raffle gifts and special guests that are well known to all Amiga users, would be more effective than paying for advertising. Plus there are probably several other ideas that have not been expressed or thought of yet, that would be more effective than more advertising.

I do like the idea of setting up a bounty to support AmiWest and I would contribute to such a bounty, in addition to what ever I already do to support the show. Maybe a lot of other Amiga users would also donate to support the show.

I hope more ideas will keep coming into this thread which will help the AmiWest Show organizers prepare a show that more people will want to attend.

Ezrec 
Posted on 6-Sep-2012 3:37:01
#233 ]

@number6

Booked! Hope to see you all there!

illy5603 
Posted on 11-Sep-2012 19:51:49
#234 ]

Hello all,

I cannot promise anything, but one of the Original CDTV-CR team members has expressed interest in getting her CDTV-CR back up and running after it blue smoked on her some ten or fifteen years ago. This unit (hers not mine) may go under the soldering iron at Amiwest during the classic clinic on Friday night! Yet another reason to make it out to the show!

I have agreed to sell my CDTV-CR and CD32 Dev board that I purchased from Carl Sassenrath a couple of years ago to an annual attendee to keep it "in the family" so these devices may be available to see in action (they both work!) at the show.

number6 
Posted on 14-Sep-2012 13:20:47
#235 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Brian has started a countdown thread to AmiWest 2012.

Top Ten Reasons to Attend AmiWest 2012 - # 10

number6 
Posted on 15-Sep-2012 13:58:50
#236 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Who's Coming to AmiWest 2012!?! - Part 4

number6 
Posted on 17-Sep-2012 17:45:54
#237 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Top Ten Reasons to Attend AmiWest 2012 - # 9

AmiDelf2 
Posted on 17-Sep-2012 19:10:01
#238 ]

Hi

I need someone to help me here! Send me your content from AmiWest. This will be broadcasted on fXtv, which goes on Satellite in Europe 1st of October.

Send it here: fxmedianorge@gmail.com

You can use wetransfer.com for sending bigger files etc. The broadcast will be in 720x576 for now. Later will upgrade to HD 720p broadcast also!

Regards,
Michal Bergseth
fXmedia.no

number6 
Posted on 26-Sep-2012 20:29:31
#239 ]
Elite Member

@thread

AmiWest 2012 Basic Schedule

TrevorDick 
Posted on 27-Sep-2012 2:41:27
#240 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Just bought my airline tickets. I'm also pleased to confirm that A-EON Technology will be sponsoring AmiWest as usual. See my latest blog for details:

My Amiga Blog

TrevorD

Last edited by TrevorDick on 27-Sep-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle