Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 157 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 blmara:  11 mins ago
 miggymac:  55 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 5 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs 51 mins ago
 Beajar:  6 hrs 11 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. Loses U.S. Trademarks
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 Next Page )
PosterThread
QuikSanz 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 26-Jun-2021 21:48:24
#1581 ]

@LarsB,

The taxes you pay here for school should be portable. If your Kids school is failing you should be able to your Kid AND taxes with you to another school.....

Chris

Profile     Report this post  
spud101 
Posted on 29-Jun-2021 16:02:09
#1582 ]

Hyperion down, just a coincidence, or bigger reason behind this?

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jun-2021 20:40:12
#1583 ]
Elite Member

@spud101

Nuke all the Amiga parties from orbit... it's the only way to be sure!!

kolla 
Posted on 29-Jun-2021 22:32:17
#1584 ]
Elite Member

@spud101
They probably "forgot" to pay their VPS (hetzner.com) the monthly 5 euros.

Last edited by kolla on 29-Jun-2021 at 10:33 PM.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 3-Jul-2021 18:19:28
#1585 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@walkero

Quote:
Guys, don't be naive. What AmigaKit is scared of, IMO, it is not the AA magazine. And this is clear by their move, is that behind AA is Simulant Systems Ltd (https://www.simulant.uk/shop/home). AmigaKit tries to prevent one more store to rise, because they assume that Amiga Addict trademark might be used to sell/promote hardware and software in the future. It is the same thing they did with Amiga/RetroPassion.

I might be wrong but that's how I see it.

Bingo. They've aggressively gone after other Amiga retailers in the past, not just the RetroPassion guys in the UK. Heaven help us if Enhancer is a Trojan horse for taking over AmigaOS by stealth. These types of business practices are simply inexcusable, especially in such a small community.

I've heard frequently that 'our only business is Amiga' from AmigaKit. That other retailers are only doing their thing on a part-time basis or that they specialize in other platforms, too. Like that gives an excuse for monopolist-level bullying. For better or worse, we live in a capitalist world, and that means (or should mean) open competition. If you can only compete by trying to squeeze out cash-poor competitors via legal trickery and such, find a new line of work.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, I'm *extremely* peeved over this. AmigaKit are threatening a bunch of hobbyists publishing what is, in essence, a magazine centered on nostalgic memory. And still their unmitigated arrogance prevents them from seeing how damaging it is even to their own brand. I mean, just look at how angry I am; I've been a huge fan of A-EON for more than a decade. How can I justify helping or funding through my custom a firm that is essentially the same entity pulling crap like this going forward?!

-- eliyahu

…and here is what it all boils down to:

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=44226&forum=14

number6 
Posted on 30-Jul-2021 13:52:21
#1586 ]
Elite Member

@thread

regarding publishing of A500 trademark by Amigakit

notice of threatened opposition filed today

Checked since it is absolutely an associated event:

On July 14, 2021 the assignment of the trademark "TheA500" documented prior in this thread, was changed from Angela Andrews to RETRO GAMES LTD. the company that announced a teaser for the product long ago.

Last edited by number6 on 30-Jul-2021 at 02:01 PM.

tygre 
Posted on 3-Aug-2021 22:35:02
#1587 ]

Hi @thread!

I know this is off-topic but this relates to posts made earlier in this thread, around p.67: an interesting discussion about endianness.

Happy reading!
Tygre

PS. It would be nice if an admin could extract all the posts about endianness in their own thread

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Aug-2021 15:03:16
#1588 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
How do you explain how Apple could switch from 68k to PPC and then X86?

That's easy. The PPC MacOS is almost a clone of of 68K MacOS. From a user perspective. Both are big endian. Once ported to PPC they dumped MacOS and brought in MacOSX. OSX is portable and can run on big or little endian. On Intel they did exactly that. By then they had a portable OS. Now a switch to ARM, doing it again. Same endian as Intel. Just a new compile, targeting another CPU, and changing the name. They dropped the X and turned the OS into an improper noun by calling it macOS in the process. Mac isn't neat any more.

Amiga, if we consider the OS4 route, is still stuck at the level of MacOS9. MacOS9 on PPC was just like MacOS8 on 68K. AmigaOS4 is like MacOS9 on PPC.

OTOH, Windows has survived and been redesigned without a CPU switch. Just evolving along with the same CPU arch updated order the years. Apart from Apple, no one is replacing Intel, so it kinda looks Amiga and Mac look bad that they need to switch a CPU every ten years.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 9-Aug-2021 15:48:49
#1589 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

MacOS6.x.x - MacOS9:
From little i have dived into MacOS7.x.x/8.x.x, MacOS is a OO hell, lots of inheritances that inheritances on other inheritances etch, you have that, messed up hack of a memory system, and issue with message queues, and issue with cooperative multitasking and timing. It looks nice on the surface, but nothing beautiful below it. over complicated mess of a filesystem. MacOS was first written in Pascal and then converted to C, as a result it lots of legacy crap in it. strings has to be converted to pascal format and then from pascal format into c format.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 09-Aug-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 09-Aug-2021 at 03:59 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 09-Aug-2021 at 03:59 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 09-Aug-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 09-Aug-2021 at 03:49 PM.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 9-Aug-2021 20:26:56
#1590 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Yes. Apple switch to unix on ppc.
Everything below graphics and gui was cut off and replaced by unix.
This solve all problems with endianess, drivers, memory protection.
After transition to unix transition to x86 was easy task.
On Amiga x86 followers want things to do too fast.
They do not treat ppc as they should.
ppc was necessary step in transition to x86.
So it will end as it end.
We have something like Mac Os 9.

eliyahu 
Posted on 11-Aug-2021 11:56:56
#1591 ]

@thread

Looks like AmigaKit never ended up filing their formal opposition to Amiga Addict's trademark registration in the end.

http://www.amiga-addict.com/the-amiga-addict-trademark-is-now-official/

-- eliyahu

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Aug-2021 13:40:55
#1592 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

That's interesting. So OO actually made it into MacOS. Commodore attempted add OO late in the game. Well, I suppose they did, but it was a but messed up. Obj-C emulated in a C wrapper that didn't look clean.

I thought the cooperative multitasking was rather well done. I used it and couldn't even tell. Unlike the Windows 3.1 model.

The Pascal legacy sounds familiar like BCPL in AmigaOS and TripOS. Some would think was a tripe OS in the system.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Aug-2021 14:07:46
#1593 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

When they shifted to OSX and the Unix model they messed up the Mac DOS. Not very much exposed to the user but Mac OS had DOS path separators just like AmigaOS and MSDOS did. In the Mac case, easily seen by getting info on a file, where the magic symbol is a colon. Unix uses a slash. Totally different. Somehow they were able to make it compatible with the Mac OS sandbox emulation built in.

It's interesting that the x86 people didn't like PPC because it wasn't x86 yet, but yes you are right, in that the transition to PPC would end up helping a transition to x86. Though now ARM would be in favour and a more reachable target. While on PPC, given current trends, porting it to little endian could be an idea so it becomes more portable. But, of course, that goes against the whole system design. They would need to AROS it in the least. Then 68K and OS4 apps would need to be sandboxed like on OSX.

Last edited by Hypex on 13-Aug-2021 at 12:59 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Aug-2021 19:42:38
#1594 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
I thought the cooperative multitasking was rather well done. I used it and couldn't even tell.

It caused problem for tcp/ip stack, and other parts of the OS, if program did release the resources in time tcp/ip packed can get lost.

Quote:
The Pascal legacy sounds familiar like BCPL in AmigaOS and TripOS. Some would think was a tripe OS in the system.

Pascal compiles to assembler, BCPL is interpreted I believe, one of key features of TripOS was Trivial Portable OS, think Java, BCPL only messed up DOS, Pascal strings messed up everything. So Symantic Think C, introduced the “\p” switch to tell the compiler it’s a pascal string. I think Amos grabs a lot ideas from MacOS, Amos bank, reminds me of Resources, and Strings are also start with size, then data. Its bit odd to me that Amos never found it way to MacOS7.x.x, but then again it built heavily on Amiga chipset and 680x0 assembler

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Aug-2021 14:00:16
#1595 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I've been having some experience lately with writing code in a cooperative multitasking system. By writing scripts for this Reaper music program. Each script can lock it up if it keeps busy looping which I found out when a serious bug in my script kept busy looping a routine and I had to force quit the whole program. The way to multitask if a script needs to wait for an event is to poll for events and defer execution until one appears. But it's quirky and a script can't pause itself in a routine if it was waiting for a key press for example. The script must run all the way through the main routine and then exit. After which it is restarted with a deferred routine. It makes it hard to deal with because a usual program flow can't be used, it must be written to expect the main routine being run again in a loop from start to finish.

By the sounds of it they would have been best to stick with Pascal. Nothing wrong with a language because it isn't C. I liked things like resources. The forks idea with things like resource forks was a neat idea that would have been good in AmigaOS. For example, I always thought integrating icons into the file system would have worked well, rather than as extra info files with extra overhead and redundant images copied all over the place.

IIRC Amos started like as STOS on the ST. It is odd it never made it to Mac given it was one of the 68K trinity and most respected out of the three in the industry. However, the original STOS would have been good to port from. But, maybe there would be a problem in the naming scheme. What would you call it? MCOS? MAOS? MACOS? Problem right there.

number6 
Posted on 25-Aug-2021 14:11:24
#1596 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Re: the specific attempt at brand grabbing:
Here

More Amiga tm fun today:
Here
Trademark links in the U.K. seem to fall back to prior pages. Borked.
If this happens to you, clcik "event history".

Is someone not happy with Retro Games Ltd. registering "THEA500" trademark and daring to announce a product using that trademark?

kolla 
Posted on 25-Aug-2021 19:52:10
#1597 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Apple didn’t have to do much transition to x86, it was already there, OSX in its “beta stage”, aka Rhapsody, was running on x86 from the start. The transition was to PPC from x86, and six years later, when MacOS “classic” no longer was relevant, they swiftly dropped PPC pretty much over night.

number6 
Posted on 11-Sep-2021 13:26:36
#1598 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Minor update.

3rd lawfirm on the Hyperion side no longer involved in the case.

https://lowegrahamjones.com/attorney-list/
This is the firm where John Bamert was working, who participated in the deposition of Evert Carton.

A few weeks ago he departed to form a new lawfirm.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-bamert

Motions made awaiting court rulings since March are still unattended to, as well as a ruling on acceptance of the deposition.
The last "schedule" still shows that nothing will be done until 30-45 days after the March motions are ruled upon.

Although Amiga Corporation has registered and received the registration certificate -for- "Amiga", it is obvious they still can not use it.
This also, in turn, freezes any resolution with Intellivision LLC over trademark similarity and any other plans.

number6 
Posted on 7-Oct-2021 14:20:24
#1599 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperion's current attorneys who recently formed their own law firm

I note from 1 of 2 motions filed October 5, 2021 the following:

Quote:
entity unknown to Hyperion, namely MyRetroComputer LTD

As I have written this entire history in this very thread and other threads numerous times, it might be helpful if you read.

many posts in this thread detailing their entire history

still current website

company profile

You can also use AW search for both the company name and Sean Donohue to learn more.

In case you are still confused, this company was associated with CommodoreUSA and not Amiga.

Hope this helps. Although with many years of known and recorded history I am confused by the statement "entity unknown to Hyperion". Are you all -that- unfamiliar with the facts?

Last edited by number6 on 07-Oct-2021 at 02:36 PM.

SHADES 
Posted on 7-Oct-2021 23:59:17
#1600 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
It caused problem for tcp/ip stack, and other parts of the OS, if program did release the resources in time tcp/ip packed can get lost

Wouldn't that be an issue for other high-priority requests like reading changes to memory or disk access?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle