Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 161 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  11 mins ago
 Hammer:  24 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 48 mins ago
 A1200:  4 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  A-EON announces acquisition of AmigaOS 4 kernel 'Exec SG',??? not truth
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
dan.hutch 
Re: A-EON announces acquisition of AmigaOS 4 kernel 'Exec SG'
Posted on 25-Oct-2019 17:47:56
#81 ]
Cult Member

Exec SG transfer of ownership from 'the brothers' to Trevor and plans discussed in these videos:

https://youtu.be/tPspY7cyPj4

https://youtu.be/5OFG2EK2a2Y

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 25-Oct-2019 17:50:46
#82 ]
Elite Member

@dan.hutch

Yep.

and brief summaries here

BSzili 
Posted on 25-Oct-2019 18:04:53
#83 ]

@kas1e

I also feel that SMP, which morphed (no pun intended) into the more broad and vague "multi core support" over the years is a red herring. It's guaranteed to create buzz every time it's mentioned, and takes attention away from less flashy, but more urgently needed features that could be implemented in our lifetime

Raffaele 
Posted on 25-Oct-2019 19:15:33
#84 ]

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
@TRIPOS

[quote]...and I'm wondering... can AROS be modified to run on ExecSG?

I'd rather prefer wondering what if AROS could be wrapped around Haiku/BeOS Kernel, so then we will acquire modern robust kernel with all the things we need: Protected Memory, 64Bit Architecture, multithread, multicore, Multiuser, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

(And mainly keeping the Amiga user experience by running the Shell, GUI, the peripherals, and the Filesystem in Amiga Style...)

You know... Just the kind of stuff needed to run Haiku/Beos Kernel as an AmigaOS-Like System practically close to what Apple made by wrapping their Interface and Filesystem around Darwin/XNU and creating MacOS X.

outrun1978 
Posted on 25-Oct-2019 19:39:40
#85 ]
Cult Member

@TRIPOS

I translated your pile of piffle as follows 😉

https://images.app.goo.gl/Yr2ozf5nNKzcd9ybA

Last edited by outrun1978 on 25-Oct-2019 at 07:40 PM.

kas1e 
Posted on 25-Oct-2019 20:53:31
#86 ]
Elite Member

@K-L
Quote:

Thanks for this summary.

So, as said ssolie : there is nothing to be seen. Move along.

Too bad !

Actually that was about first 2 hours, then there was new ones , hour 3 and 4 , and while 3st one was about Mark's text-editor (that interesting to touch for sure), 4st one was again about kernel, and as i say before that maybe some work on DMA in kernel done, it seems i was right : looks like Jamie Kruger alredy finish all this "dma engine" (and he was paid for by Trevor seems so), which now need to be incorparated (or properly included, dunno) to kernel , so it can be released for betatesters.

At least that how i understand it from auto-generated english comments on youtube.

In other words, what already seems done is:

1). Added some tabor optimized functions to faster loading on tabor
2). Jamie made dma engine, which seems need to include to kernel properly (that part i can be mistaken of)
3). Some code about that-and-that + bugfixing.

When it all will be ready for beta testing i not understand , but "soon" (2 more weeks ?:) ).

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Oct-2019 21:58:38
#87 ]
Elite Member

@dan.hutch

Thanks for the links, that cleared up alot for me, I hope with better focus comes more results.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-Oct-2019 at 10:02 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Oct-2019 22:14:24
#88 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

The possibility look at emulators as target for ExecSG, I guess this can be interesting path to follow, example if WinUAE/QEMU is officially supported, i guess this can speed up emulation:

If for you have drivers that support native host systems, the emulation overhead can be cut on 3D/2D, Disk emulation, network, making the emulation experience more pleasant, as well has not having to worry about artificial constraints like physical hardware.

It be nice option for people who like to try out AmigaOS, and for developers, don't wont drag a desktop system around. linux tools / cross compiling and so on.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-Oct-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-Oct-2019 at 10:15 PM.

AmeegaGuy 
Posted on 25-Oct-2019 23:30:59
#89 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
really do not understand what sense s super-modern kernel (base) would make

Instead of just OS think of AEON machines all are multi-core CPU. Now Trevor who also is founder of AEON owns ExecSG. Where does this lead? An attempt is made to support multiple cores! I think Tabor also falls into this group. So not too hard to understand after all.

asymetrix 
Posted on 26-Oct-2019 3:04:07
#90 ]
Cult Member

@Thread

What I would like to see from A-EON and Hyperion and any other company now or in the future that may come into using Amiga like API the following :

An iron clad blanket immunity document that there will never has nor will have any intent to bring AROS based systems into any LEGAL DISPUTE, EVER.

Words are not enough.

ASiegel 
Posted on 26-Oct-2019 10:12:24
#91 ]

@outrun1978

Quote:
I notice you haven’t had the decency to reply back publicly to DiscreetFX’s question when he asked if there was anything he could do to help for graphic card development.

Bill and I have exchanged many emails and worked on multiple projects in the past. If I missed something on a forum, you can rest assured he knows where to contact me.

That said, as has been carefully explained to you on another website, there are two developers who work on and make decisions regarding graphics driver development. I am not one of them and- Beware! This may come as a complete and utter shock to you! - I have never once claimed to be.

Quote:
It appears someone is clearly upset because I have publicly chosen to criticise your product

Not at all. What disturbs me is exactly what I wrote in my previous post. Please feel free to read it again.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Oct-2019 10:44:42
#92 ]
Elite Member

@ASiegel

Well its Claonto who owns the brand names like Workbench name, AROS has a public screen with name "Workbench Screen", so I guess that’s the only company I can think of that might create a legal dispute. Was it not acer and few other companies who owned the patents, but this have time limit. AROS can't be sued for piracy, as everything written from ground up. So the only the name and the brands and that Claonto owns. I think the AROS is safe for most part, if you look at other clones like operating systems like ReactOS, and reimplementation of the Windows API like WINE. Also Linux is clone of UNIX, I have yet to see Linus Thorvaldsen being used for making that kernel. the case between Microsoft Windows vs Lindows it ended in settlement, In the end Microsoft payed Lindows team to rename there Linux distribution, so no one won or lost. Well maybe the layers was the biggest winners.

gonegahgah 
Posted on 26-Oct-2019 12:30:53
#93 ]

One of the slides says that U-Boot/CFE/OpenFirmware is part of the ExecSG.

Does that mean that Trevor could now organise to get these updated on the X1000 so that I can finally use the same graphics cards that can be used on the X5000?

BigD 
Posted on 26-Oct-2019 13:01:08
#94 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
And: To play around with MorphOS on the ibook you don't need to hack/mess that much. A little typing exercise on the Open firmware and you can boot from usb w(o touchig the original installation. If you happen to somehow like it, there are ways to shrinken the oS X partitition and parallely install MorphOS.

Simple answer: I can't be bothered! I have spent decades getting my Classic machines they way I like them and I'm not about to start messing around with a flakey iBook G4. It works as a scanner terminal but the 40 gb Hard drive is pretty much full and the AirPort card has an issue. It's more hassle than it's worth and I guess if I'm honest I think that the Amiga market is so small that it hasn't got ANY chance of supporting two NG OSes going forwards. If I was harsh (I'm not) I'd say I wish MorphOS would hurry up and die along with all the failing Apple PPC hardware so that A-EON and the red team have a chance of survival. Hyperion have probably scuppered even that chance and in 15 years all that will remain is AROS and Vampire as I see it

It doesn't mean I can't be interested in a new-ish A1222 with stable hardware under warranty as well. Would I 'try' MorphOS on a X5000 if I owned one? Probably not. Sorry.

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Oct-2019 14:44:58
#95 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I see what you mean with AmiStore. I had my troubles as well but they were fixed with an account reset. Other people have issues logging in and remain to do so. I agree that a web store would be best. As long as it had no issues. At the moment it's an exclusive OS4 program with a bad track record using a non-standard interface. There is a theme on OS4 with inability to log into accounts. AmiUpdate. AmiStore. Updater. Perhaps it's OS4 specific so they can code in security and depends that work. And make an SO4 version possible.

To continue using an expression, it doesn't bode well that parts of the AEON web site are incomplete. Or just blanked out. I don't know if no one has time to do it or what the webmaster is doing but it has been broken for far too long. I also know it's easy to break a website and HTML isn't exactly the GUI layout language that it should be. Especially when a basic website is expected to have CSS, JS, php and whatever else just to function.

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Oct-2019 15:06:06
#96 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
One is a well coded, efficient, more advanced AmigaOS implementation, the other is OS4.

Haha.

Quote:
Why would one use OS4 when they can use MOS?

Another question is why would you have a cat when you can have a dog?

This comes down to a matter of taste. Accessing both systems and what you prefer. Such as whether you like the BOOPSI based Reaction interface or the MUI based interface.

I've tested both. And prefer OS4 myself after using both. OS4 looks more like AmigaOS to me. MOS was too far away. Both target the same kind of market.

I don't think OS4 is perfect either because I prefer it. I've detailed its faults over the years. And I've found faults in MOS while testing it. There is a compromise. And a choice to what suits you best.

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Oct-2019 15:14:34
#97 ]
Elite Member

@rzookol

Quote:
Sorry but kernel in AmigaOS4 is not AmigaOS3.x related, just some reimplementation like in MorphOS.

In what way is ExecSG not AmigaOS3.x related? They took most of OS3 Exec and ported it to PPC. One of the problems OS4 has had in adapting modern features is that it inherited too much from OS3. They scrapped a few things and broke 68K functions. But it would have been better I think to retain the 68K API for classic programs and redesign it for PPC without the 68K baggage or problematic functions.

BTW, Pagestream4 used to work on OS4, but it was always buggy. There was said to be a fix in the works but it never made to my knowledge and disappeared into the limelight.

simplex 
Posted on 26-Oct-2019 15:31:04
#98 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
AROS can't be sued for piracy, as everything written from ground up.

Oracle's copyright infringement lawsuit against Google is still going on, 10 years later. As if that weren't enough SCO is still trying to seize control of Linux after more than 16 years of futility. In both cases, the defendants involved are large corporations with significant funds.

What happens when you aren't so wealthy? The trouble with lawsuits is that they can sometimes be won by a party with more resources than another, simply by running out the clock on the other party's ability to pay lawyers, so that the party loses by default. Perhaps you are aware of a similar lawsuit related to the Amiga?

So, while I agree with you on the matter's merits, I think the more relevant question is: What resources do AROS' developers have to stave off a lawsuit?

Last edited by simplex on 26-Oct-2019 at 03:33 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Oct-2019 15:45:26
#99 ]
Elite Member

@simplex

why can amiga users not discuss more positive things

lawsuits seem to be last topic NG users are interested in

the "classic" community (how some here call it) is more friendly. Not all those senseless discussions

Last edited by OlafS25 on 26-Oct-2019 at 03:49 PM.

simplex 
Posted on 26-Oct-2019 15:59:51
#100 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

No real disagreement from me. I'm not trying to be negative, only cautious.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle