Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 68 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  9 mins ago
 amigakit:  18 mins ago
 clint:  21 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 cip060:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs ago
 thomas:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A1222 production now underway!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
PosterThread
pixie 
Re: A1222 production now underway!
Posted on 12-Aug-2023 14:42:44
#461 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

The same developers that doesn't see a cent already? So you think Hyperion are entitled to all AmigaOS even though they're just a licensee.... Blame the owners, blame those who come with money on front

Profile     Report this post  
ppcamiga1 
Posted on 12-Aug-2023 15:05:54
#462 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

So it reaches 030/50 speed?
Ok.
It is still many time slower than slowest ppc.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 12-Aug-2023 15:18:24
#463 ]
Cult Member

@Matt3k

I wrote that Amiga NG has much less users that should have
because too many wc experts wrote too many lies about hardware that they never have.
I believe such scumbags, it is good word that very good describe them.
And I really regret that I don't buy Amiga NG earlier.

I don't wrote that Amiga NG is ideal.
Ofcourse many thing may be done better.
But what wrote herr szonwejs or mattay is pure bs.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Aug-2023 15:52:49
#464 ]
Elite Member

@pixie

Quote:
So you think Hyperion are entitled to all AmigaOS even though they're just a licensee.

they are entitled to what they paid for at least. And they have won all legal cases so far.
so what remains is unpaid contractors.

I think developers own what they created, if they are paid, but it gets complicated in project where 4 developers working on same thing, it gets more complicated if the Hyperion owns part of it. Parts of AmigaOS4.x was already sold to Trever by some developers. This is why have a separate ExecSG team. So I hope this will work out somehow, ether Hyperion starts making money and can pay what they owe, or the developers take the work and sell it to Trever and it becomes System45. Or they sell it as addons in AmiStore (or preferable a working web shop.).

But its more complicated than that, some developers were paid not by the hours, instead Hyperion licensed components for specific releases (AmigaONE-XE) for example. This why had issues with X1000 iso, and Sam460 iso, but a lot of has been resolved, SFS2 is for example is now part of Enhancer.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Aug-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Aug-2023 at 03:54 PM.

pixie 
Posted on 12-Aug-2023 19:37:21
#465 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I may be under some wrong idea, but from what I gathered the developers didn't want money.. obviously that I think that developers should be paid, it makes no sense otherwise, who would you pay? Hyperion?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Aug-2023 21:00:47
#466 ]
Elite Member

@pixie

Quote:
I may be under some wrong idea, but from what I gathered the developers didn't want money.

That depends on the developer, we don’t think alike, and we are not equally fortunate.

Personally, I pay for products in the stores and hope some of money retches the developers.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Aug-2023 at 09:04 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Aug-2023 at 09:01 PM.

V8 
Posted on 13-Aug-2023 3:20:59
#467 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I think developers own what they created, if they are paid, but it gets complicated in project where 4 developers working on same thing, it gets more complicated if the Hyperion owns part of it.

NO. the developers do NOT own what they created. Hyperion owns what they created.

It is not complicated at all. The developers were contracted under a "work-for-hire" style contract.
That means Hyperion OWNS what they developed, regardless if they were paid or not.

If they were not paid that is sad but is a completely separate issue. In that case their only recourse is to sue hyperion in order to get paid. They can not just "steal" the code and claim it back.

Last edited by V8 on 13-Aug-2023 at 03:21 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 13-Aug-2023 4:35:45
#468 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:
@Matt3k

I wrote that Amiga NG has much less users that should have
because too many wc experts wrote too many lies about hardware that they never have.
I believe such scumbags, it is good word that very good describe them.
And I really regret that I don't buy Amiga NG earlier.

I don't wrote that Amiga NG is ideal.
Ofcourse many thing may be done better.
But what wrote herr szonwejs or mattay is pure bs.

Due to Amiga's "hit-the-metal" games and apps, the Amiga is not another Macintosh.

Hammer 
Posted on 13-Aug-2023 4:38:30
#469 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
infect PowerPC has same instruction size as ARM chips, ARM’s chips are killing x86 right now with M2 chips.

Apple M2s are not ARM core IP designs.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/3/23709251/amd-ryzen-7040-u-apple-m2-intel-laptop-cpu-apu
The narrative "ARM’s chips are killing x86" is FALSE.

Hammer 
Posted on 13-Aug-2023 4:43:00
#470 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

Quote:

I have Amiga NG hardware so I may correct herr szonwejs and matthey bullishit.
About emulation 68k speed on Amiga NG.
To outperform ppc in 68k emulation one need fast pc.
At least i7. On everything slower than i7, 68k emulation is slower than 68k emulation on ppc.

I don't recall WinUAE benefits from more than two CPU cores from Core i7s.

Quote:

For many years 68k emulation on ppc was faster than on any PC.

FALSE.

Quote:

I really regret that I don't buy Amiga NG earlier.
Poor Allwinner h6 that powered the500 is not good enough.
68k emulation on the500 is slower than emulation on enything ppc except old phase5 cards.

TheA500Min's Allwinner SoC has ARM Cortex A53 and bog down by full machine emulation.

PiStorm32 with RPI 4B-Euu68 is competitive against SAM460.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Aug-2023 9:16:58
#471 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

Since I don't need to play AB3D2, Payback or Tales From Heaven or indeed mess around on Candy Factory, it's fine! WipEout 2097 will happily run under Pandory and while it doesn't have the draw distance of the Amiga version, it has Prodigy - Firestarter on the soundtrack so it wins on that basis and gives the FULL Amiga nostalgia solution for £87 (current Amazon price)! How much will the A1222+ be again?

Edit: THEA500 Mini has gone up from £74.99 on Amazon Prime Day in increments to £87 today. Get it while it's cheap and available!

Last edited by BigD on 13-Aug-2023 at 09:27 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Aug-2023 12:04:18
#472 ]
Elite Member

@V8

You try solving it with employer before taking legal action, that’s the norm.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/breach-employment-contract

also quote:

Before taking legal action, you are required to try other ways to sort things out. For example, you might try mediation through the Labour Relations Agency.

In case of bankruptcy, contractors and workers are first in line for any liquidated assets. Ben has two options pay or give it back, or face the raft of the legal system.

(My reference is from UK, but UK was part of the EU, and should be similar laws, I don’t think it have mattered much if found a US link. This is pretty standard stuff.)

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Aug-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Aug-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Aug-2023 at 12:42 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Aug-2023 12:07:13
#473 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

what do you think about this chip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6-juFXR9c0

I think what is really dangerous right now for x86, is lot new laptops comes with ChromeOS installed not Windows, most people don’t care for legacy, they only want to get onto Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and do a little home banking. It’s already the start of the end for x86.

Security has been pretty rotten in Windows, people want things that are more secure, and is less hazel, they don’t want to read 500 pages books about Linux.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Aug-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Aug-2023 at 12:30 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Aug-2023 13:07:37
#474 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

I cannnot remember how often end of desktop and expeically Wintel was predicted...

pavlor 
Posted on 13-Aug-2023 13:27:03
#475 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I think what is really dangerous right now for x86, is lot new laptops comes with ChromeOS installed not Windows, most people don’t care for legacy, they only want to get onto Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and do a little home banking. It’s already the start of the end for x86.

Looks like a dystopian nightmare for someone like me, who likes playing old video games. Strong backwards compatibility the Windows world provides is its only grace in my eyes.

jPV 
Posted on 13-Aug-2023 20:00:19
#476 ]
Cult Member

@Hammer

Quote:

Hammer wrote:
@ppcamiga1

Quote:

For many years 68k emulation on ppc was faster than on any PC.

FALSE.

I didn't find the original post, but you'll have to remember that on a PPC Amiga compatible OS only the 68k CPU needs to be emulated, not the whole machine. UAE emulates the whole machine including CPU, graphics hardware, custom chpis, and everything. On the PPC you have fast native solutions for everything but the actual CPU, so it's much faster in that regard, and at least with little older PCs, the user experience has been more sluggish in full emulation than on NG hardware. And you also get new intuition features and other improvements of the newer OS with your old programs, which gives a nice facelift for usability of classic programs.

And of course NG is only for productivity users, other solutions are fine for gamers. I also did buy THEA500 mini, but I don't think it's an optimal solution for games either, and definitely not for someone who wants to use the machine for other things. And of course it sells, because you can find it on every grocery shops etc. A nice little toy to keep displayed in a shelf, but I have only powered it on three times, while I do use an NG OS every day. I also bought MiST, but still haven't powered it up even once, but statistics show that I buy that kind of hardware :)

matthey 
Posted on 13-Aug-2023 23:00:46
#477 ]
Elite Member

V8 Quote:

NO. the developers do NOT own what they created. Hyperion owns what they created.

It is not complicated at all. The developers were contracted under a "work-for-hire" style contract.
That means Hyperion OWNS what they developed, regardless if they were paid or not.

If they were not paid that is sad but is a completely separate issue. In that case their only recourse is to sue hyperion in order to get paid. They can not just "steal" the code and claim it back.

Was Hyperion contracted to do work-for-hire by Amiga Inc. called AmigaOS 4? Does that mean the entity who obtained the assets of Amiga Inc. now owns AmigaOS 4? What entity do you believe owns AmigaOS 4? What entity do you believe owns AmigaOS 3 and its predecessors? What entity is benefiting the most from selling AmigaOS 3 and AmigaOS 4? Perhaps it is possible to 'just "steal" the code' after all? Would customers of AmigaOS 3 and AmigaOS 4 from Hyperion be supporting stealing while hoping to support development?

My understanding is that the ownership of works by hourly or salaried employees usually default to the employer, at least in the U.S. The works of independent contractors likely depends more on the wording of the contract "agreement". Of course there may be reasons why the contract would be invalid. Lack of any payment may lack quid pro quo, changing the existing contract may be fraud and coercing or quickly trying to get someone to sign the contract or an amended contract they do not understand or while under duress may be deemed predatory and invalid. There are more than a few rumors of possible criminal predatory behavior involving Hyperion and many contracts they have signed. It would be nice if a grand jury and/or special prosecutor could look into all the accusations as a whole since any individual case could be a simple contractual dispute based on a misunderstanding. When so many contracts end up in lawsuits, it shouldn't take an investigator long to trace back to the source of all these lawsuits and disputes. An indicator of contract shenanigans would be if the same lawyer wrote most of the disputed contracts. Who doesn't thinks Ben wrote most of the disputed contracts? Who doesn't think Ben is an opportunistic white collar predator? Does Trevor believe otherwise after having money stolen from his account? Why does Trevor keep enabling this criminal when PPC and the AmigaNOne are dead?

kolla 
Posted on 14-Aug-2023 0:18:49
#478 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Most OS 3.2 users don’t pay for it, so who cares.

redfox 
Posted on 14-Aug-2023 4:07:31
#479 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

I can't speak for anyone else, but I paid full retail price for AmigaOS 3.2 CD-ROM and AmigaOS 3.2 Kickstart ROM at retrorewind.ca online store.

redfox

Last edited by redfox on 14-Aug-2023 at 04:10 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 14-Aug-2023 4:18:04
#480 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Quote:

jPV wrote:
@Hammer

Quote:

Hammer wrote:
FALSE.

I didn't find the original post, but you'll have to remember that on a PPC Amiga compatible OS only the 68k CPU needs to be emulated, not the whole machine. UAE emulates the whole machine including CPU, graphics hardware, custom chpis, and everything. On the PPC you have fast native solutions for everything but the actual CPU, so it's much faster in that regard, and at least with little older PCs, the user experience has been more sluggish in full emulation than on NG hardware. And you also get new intuition features and other improvements of the newer OS with your old programs, which gives a nice facelift for usability of classic programs.

And of course NG is only for productivity users, other solutions are fine for gamers. I also did buy THEA500 mini, but I don't think it's an optimal solution for games either, and definitely not for someone who wants to use the machine for other things. And of course it sells, because you can find it on every grocery shops etc. A nice little toy to keep displayed in a shelf, but I have only powered it on three times, while I do use an NG OS every day. I also bought MiST, but still haven't powered it up even once, but statistics show that I buy that kind of hardware :)

Reminder, Amithlon (via Haage&Partner's AmigaOS XL distribution) only needs to emulate the CPU and it has Darco-level compatibility i.e. RTG and AHI.

Haage&Partner's AmigaOS XL distribution was released around the year 2001.

Read https://amitopia.com/the-amithlon-x86-amiga/
The Amithlon Debacle. After Bill McEwen's Amiga Inc promoted "AmigaOS X86", billyboy sent a "cease and desist" letter against Haage & Partner's AmigaOS XL and Amithlon.
Bill McEwen's Amiga Inc's "cease and desist" killed AmigaOS 3.9 being bundled for X86-based Amithlon. Bill McEwen killed "AmigaOS X86" stone dead.

TheA500mini's AmigaOS IP is licensed by Cloanto Corporation and Bill McEwen's Amiga Inc has been replaced by Mike Battilana (director of Cloanto)'s Amiga Corporation.

Removing Bill McEwen is a good outcome.

Last edited by Hammer on 15-Aug-2023 at 04:05 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 14-Aug-2023 at 04:23 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 14-Aug-2023 at 04:19 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle