Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 99 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

agami

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  2 mins ago
 Seiya:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 14 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 18 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 12 mins ago
 mbrantley:  5 hrs 14 mins ago
 pixie:  5 hrs 36 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  5 hrs 45 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Now that OS 4 is final...
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
Dandy 
Now that OS 4 is final...
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 8:44:17
#1 ]
Elite Member

...I would like to ask if there is any information available about the release date of OS 4 for classic PPC equipped Amigas?

Dandy

Profile     Report this post  
WOSPUPOS4 
Re: Now that OS 4 is final...
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 9:23:52
#2 ]

@Dandy
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21451&forum=33

Fransexy 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 11:32:44
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:
Now that OS 4 is final...

.......Where the sharkPPC is?

Dandy 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 12:55:51
#4 ]
Elite Member

@WOSPUPOS4

Quote:

WOSPUPOS4 wrote:
@Dandy
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21451&forum=33

I read the entire thread - but unfortunately couldn't find any official statement on when we can expect the release for classic PPC equipped Amigas...

Mod note:Added missing close quote tag!

Last edited by zerohero on 10-Jan-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Last edited by zerohero on 10-Jan-2007 at 01:13 PM.

Dandy

jkirk 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 13:09:26
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

that is because hyperion doesn't know when hardware will be available. or at the very most can't tell since it is not their product. as a result they can only say os4 is ready for shipping(with hardware).

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 13:44:14
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy
Does not seem to be any eta. :(
I wonder why hyperion wont release a beta release, as it seems to run already on classic+ppc accelerator for years.

Last edited by Tomas on 10-Jan-2007 at 01:48 PM.

-Sam- 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 13:52:56
#7 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

Quote:
that is because hyperion doesn't know when hardware will be available

That shouldn't have anything to do with the Cyberstorm version though.

jorkany 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 13:55:48
#8 ]
Cult Member

@jkirk
Quote:

that is because hyperion doesn't know when hardware will be available. or at the very most can't tell since it is not their product.

The Cyberstorm and Blizzard don't need to become available. Everybody who is ever going to have one has one already, barring Ebay exchanges. Anyway I think it's pretty clear by now why OS4 hasn't been released for the classic systems even without an "official" statement.

Last edited by jorkany on 10-Jan-2007 at 01:56 PM.

polka. 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 14:06:02
#9 ]

@Tomas

Quote:
I wonder why hyperion wont release a beta release, as it seems to run already on classic+ppc accelerator for years.

One of their last excuses for not releasing OS4 to BPPC/CSPPC was that it could make a bad impression without having any new hardware available. People would read that OS4 is released on Slashdot and ask if they can run it on their X86-PC. They would find out that it only runs on obsolete and unavailable AmigaOnes and 8-year-old Phase5 PPC add-on cards.
At least this excuse can be considered as moot after the "release" of OS4 "the final update". Who cares? Release that damn thing in it's current state and explicitly state the requirements and limitations.

jkirk 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 14:34:06
#10 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

this is true the cyberstorm and blizzard version is not hampered by releasing hardware but didn't rogue say in a recent thread they were still hammering out the drivers.

found it not rogue but entilzha

Quote:
The problem with the classic versions is the support of hardware, mostly custom hardware on the A1200.

in this thread
When os4 for csppc?

btw apologies dandy i misread your question.

Last edited by jkirk on 10-Jan-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Hagbard_Celine 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 15:19:27
#11 ]

It's a shame that they are leaving us Classic Users in the rain.

My CSPPC is sitting here waiting for that damn OS, but nothing happens.

I think they should hurry up a bit, and to be honest, broadest market for OS4 is the Classic Market. Hardware is available there, and will be even more when OS4 finally comes out. But without Software or a descent OS, why should anyone develop?

Another thing is, many Amiga Users do not want to change their system to a something more PC like thing. Hyperion is missing the point, we dont need fancy new Hardware, we need Hardware that fits into the Classic Cases, eg. replacement Mainbaords. But this will never happen if they hold back the only reason to develop new Hardware, which is OS4.

I am very dissapointed by the way Hyperion Entertainment is treating us users, and the longer they continue with that, the more possible User they will loose

Hondo 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 15:26:20
#12 ]

@Hagbard_Celine/others

ohh come on dudes, of course Hyperion won't release OS4 for classics, and make a potential momentum slip away. OS4 needs to be launched for all hw at the same time, to make as much impact as possible.....which by the way makes me wonder why they release final update without hardware???????

SoundSquare 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 15:29:10
#13 ]

@Hagbard_Celine

you're right, the classic market is important for Hyperion. lol
They just spent years developping an OS (they are not done yet, how dare they call it final) for some old hardware that will probably break within the next 5 years ?

You got classic hardware, good for you. But do you realise that your computer system is 10 years old (or more) and that it should be in a museum or used by only a bunch of retro computing geeks ? Why not turning the page and supporting any effort of building new, mordern hardware ? I know how most of you are enchained to your old miggies, i still own a few amigas myself, but i use them in a nostalgic way, as soon as i turn on my recent machines i realise that's when serious things begin.

Classic Amigas were fantastic machines, please help them to rest in peace.
I wish i could cure all Amiga mormons

Hagbard_Celine 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 15:41:17
#14 ]

@SoundSquare

Come on, be reallistic. There is absolutely now way that Amiga or the Os will make it back to the top. This machine is for plain fun, and sorry to say that, will always be.

Linux cant go against MS, and they have millions of Users all over the world. It is too late for a revolution.

Hyperion should act now and make the best out of their IMHO miserable situation that they are in atm. If OS4 came back in 1997 together with the CSPPC boards, my opinion would be different, but 2007 is too late for a OS that doesnt even have a proper Browser nor Office App. Dont get me wrong, I love these machines, but they are a hobby, nothing more nothing less. I like spending money on them , and I always will.

But OS4 doesnt even have the smallest neccesararities that a modern OS should have. Even Debian and my CSPPC is able to do more than OS4 can atm.

Maybe you should think about curing ureself, before trying to cure anybody else.

Be realistic, we are geeks, and always will be. No chance of becoming top of the line again. Those days have passed.

P.S. My Classic Hardware will run even in 2011, and then I'll give you quick call and we'll see how the AmigaOnes are doing. I bet they'll be broken by then.

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 16:47:27
#15 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

Quote:
One of their last excuses for not releasing OS4 to BPPC/CSPPC was that it could make a bad impression without having any new hardware available. People would read that OS4 is released on Slashdot and ask if they can run it on their X86-PC.

Exactly the same excuse for not releasing OS4 final for AmigaONE... but they still did it
So that excuse is no longer vaild in my opinion. Easier to get a a1200+accelerator than a AmigaONE anyways.
Quote:
Release that damn thing in it's current state and explicitly state the requirements and limitations.

Exactly.. Just like they did with the pre release.

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 16:53:03
#16 ]
Elite Member

@SoundSquare

Quote:
Why not turning the page and supporting any effort of building new, mordern hardware ?

How the heck can we do that? By praising the vaporware hardware?
OS4 is already running on classics, so who gets hurt by the release? It was also promised by both AmigaINC and Hyperion, so it would hurt them much more if they broke that promise.
I use my old amiga because there is NO new hardware. It just does not exist and this wont change until there is some hardware available that you can buy in stores. So far it has been years with empty promises, so i have my doubts.

I will use my a1200 for what it does best and i wont stop using it until there is something that takes over those tasks and performs it better.

Last edited by Tomas on 10-Jan-2007 at 04:54 PM.

elatour 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 16:58:52
#17 ]
Cult Member

@polka.

Quote:
Release that damn thing in it's current state and explicitly state the requirements and limitations.

Another thing is that they could at least make SOME money on this from classic users at least until someone actual PPC motherboards are released.

Last edited by elatour on 10-Jan-2007 at 05:01 PM.

nzv58l 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 17:32:03
#18 ]

@elatour

Not only would they make a little money, but I think more important would be expanding the user base. I think it would help in developing applications for when new hardware would become available.

I think the focus should be in creating a viable market and getting the old applications up to speed.

While I don't see the Amiga taking over the desktop market, I think it at least has a chance to get it's foot in the door and become a viable platform. The nostalgia sales are not going to keep the Amiga alive for an extended period of time. We need to build this OS into something useful and get some renewed interest. One of the first steps is to get the right applications built and get at least a large enough userbase to support sales of software. Getting the classics on board may do this or at least help.

kindergip 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 17:33:00
#19 ]

@all

So, aside from the support issues from a community
that loves all things Amiga and is both mature and
willing to attempt works in progress not to mention
the sheer multiplicity of setups and configurations
as well as the regular indepth discussions of the
merits and foibles of the last major release for the
classics, you all would like to see this admittedly
small crew drop whatever they are doing to ease new
hardware into the pipeline to address this request?

Even without regard to what is likely to happen if
that is done?

SoundSquare 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 18:03:30
#20 ]

Quote:
Come on, be reallistic. There is absolutely now way that Amiga or the Os will make it back to the top. This machine is for plain fun, and sorry to say that, will always be.

i am very aware of it
and i do agree.

by "modern" hardware i'm not speaking about a quad-core amiga.
Just some descent low cost hardware to entertain us as geek would be fine. Or even no hardware at all but OSes that could run and live on other platforms. Just anything to get rid of classic hardware (and amiga resellers/ebay crooks/speculators) once for all !

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle