Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 115 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Rob

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  2 mins ago
 zipper:  25 mins ago
 Gunnar:  28 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 Comi:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 BigD:  4 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [C64] QUOD INIT EXIT games
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
saimo 
Re: [C64] QUOD INIT EXIT
Posted on 30-Aug-2013 19:03:48
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Breed

Quote:
My C-64 has wake up again

Wonderful! I'm honoured.

Quote:
I just made Cardridge order, gotta have it to my collection

That's just great
But now that your C64 is up and running again, let it taste the pleasure of the many other great games that are being released these days - I suggest Knights 'n' Grail and Soulless to begin with!

Profile     Report this post  
klx300r 
Posted on 30-Aug-2013 19:07:50
#22 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@klx300r

Quote:
I don't know how you do it Simone but you've got some God given talent to produce such new original fun playing games for our beloved 64's and Miggies

While I appreciate your appreciation (heh), let's not make it bigger than it really is: this is just a little joke

You're too modest! It's a fun new original game for The Mighty 64 no more no less & I like it yes it's not going to challenge you like Ultima IV but its quick fun that keeps challenging me to beat my high score & with a hectic work schedule & 2 young kids that's exactly what the doctor ordered

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Breed 
Posted on 30-Aug-2013 19:28:36
#23 ]

@saimo
That's just great
But now that your C64 is up and running again, let it taste the pleasure of the many other great games that are being released these days - I suggest Knights 'n' Grail and Soulless to begin with!

I have played Soulless, great game!
(cartridge version naturally )

-Breed-

Jupp3 
Posted on 31-Aug-2013 8:06:10
#24 ]

@saimo

Neat. A game by you for which I actually have the required hardware & OS

mcbone 
Posted on 31-Aug-2013 10:16:21
#25 ]
Cult Member

@saimo

i just try game on my pc useing c64 forever it good will play more at late date

Last edited by mcbone on 31-Aug-2013 at 10:16 AM.

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

saimo 
Posted on 31-Aug-2013 10:30:27
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Quote:
Neat.

Thanks

Quote:
A game by you for which I actually have the required hardware & OS

Ironically, I don't! (The game was 99.9% developed on VICE.)
But I take yours is a joke? I'd be surprised if you couldn't play any of my other games:
* Follia and MEMO run on ECS Amigas;
* KOG, SCRAMBLY DV and Huenison run on AOS4 and Windows;
* BOH runs on AOS4, AROS, Linux, MacOS and Windows;
* the Windows versions also run fine on Linux and MacOS through Wine.

saimo 
Posted on 31-Aug-2013 10:32:23
#27 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

Thank you and have fun!

Jupp3 
Posted on 1-Sep-2013 9:38:05
#28 ]

@saimo

Quote:
Ironically, I don't! (The game was 99.9% developed on VICE.)
But I take yours is a joke?

Actually... no. I have done quite a bit of cross development on VICE aswell, biggest achievement probably being 2nd place at Payback 2013 with sandels (actually ended up competiting with "full" C64 demos with a less-than-4k intro)
Quote:
I'd be surprised if you couldn't play any of my other games:

Well, was mainly refering to Huenison (about which I commented on the relevant thread), of course I was thinking of BOH too, could actually install AROS again some day, to finally open the plastics on the copy I bought over year ago

Quote:
* the Windows versions also run fine on Linux and MacOS through Wine.

Generally, I don't bother much with anything that requires Wine, and wouldn't work on my primary portable system (PowerBook) anyway (well, of course Linux/X86 binaries wouldn't help either)

saimo 
Posted on 1-Sep-2013 10:20:03
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Quote:
I have done quite a bit of cross development on VICE aswell, biggest achievement probably being 2nd place at Payback 2013 with sandels (actually ended up competiting with "full" C64 demos with a less-than-4k intro)

Just had a look at it: looks smooth
Out of curiosity, is that brute CPU hires bitmap processing, or did you exploit characters/sprites for the 2x and 4x stretching?

Quote:
of course I was thinking of BOH too, could actually install AROS again some day, to finally open the plastics on the copy I bought over year ago

Well, first off, thanks for buying it!
If you want, you can preserve the shrink-wrap and still install the game - and in a much easier way - using the ISO image.
When the physical copies were produced, only the AmigaOS and Windows version existed, so the CD doesn't contain the other versions. The CD can still be used to install the game by means of the relevant udpate (for AROS it's update6 - the AROS version was the last to be released, upon request from the community), followed by the next updates (there are 15 in all); however, the ISO image make it possible to install the latest version directly.

saimo 
Posted on 1-Sep-2013 10:44:49
#30 ]
Elite Member

@all

Forgot to mention this: this morning I have added the tape version - yes, so you get also the loading music, picture and epilepsy-bars
link

klx300r 
Posted on 1-Sep-2013 15:23:41
#31 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Too cool ! This post just reminded me of the utter excitement & joy when I got my first ever 5.25 floppy drive for my 64

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

saimo 
Posted on 1-Sep-2013 15:56:37
#32 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Lucky you... only tape for me... the thought that I could have had a drive didn't even ever cross my mind. Even when, years after I got a C64, I discovered that such thing existed (a friend had it) - and, well, even if it had, I couldn't have afforded it.

Last edited by saimo on 01-Sep-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 01-Sep-2013 at 03:56 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 1-Sep-2013 16:26:09
#33 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

I hear ya I took me over 2 years to save up from my paper routes with 2 different newspapers but even then my older brother took pity on me and 'loaned' me the last $30 needed to buy it LOL
Even then I could not buy a 'real 1541' but instead bought a clone FSD-1 which I still have today & could never part with it.

Last edited by klx300r on 01-Sep-2013 at 04:28 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

saimo 
Posted on 1-Sep-2013 16:41:12
#34 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:
I hear ya I took me over 2 years to save up from my paper routes with 2 different newspapers but even then my older brother took pity on me and 'loaned' me the last $30 needed to buy it LOL
Even then I could not buy a 'real 1541' but instead bought a clone FSD-1 which I still have today & could never part with it.

That's understandable

Fred_AROS 
Posted on 2-Sep-2013 17:47:25
#35 ]

@saimo

Wow, more of this PLEEEEAAASSEEE

This game is so much fun, even my Kids are enjoying it alot, guess IŽll buy the cartridge next month, this is really great stuff

saimo 
Posted on 2-Sep-2013 17:55:57
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Fred_AROS

Quote:
Wow, more of this PLEEEEAAASSEEE :D:D:D

This game is so much fun, even my Kids are enjoying it alot, guess IŽll buy the cartridge next month, this is really great stuff :):):)

Thanks a lot for such enthusiast feedback - it warms my heart to know that people enjoy this little thing, and hearing/seeing that kids have fun with it is added pleasure

Unfortunately, I have to add this sad note (this is a post I made of Lemon 64: I'm finding myself to have to explain this in several places and it's getting demanding).
From me - and I'm *very* sorry to say this - nothing else will ever come, for any platform. Indeed, this is the reason why I released this version - from the CSDb summary:

This updated version was still unreleased because there are some bytes and cycles free that I wanted to exploit to add more stuff. But now I have decided to stop developing altogether (on any platform), so I didn't want this version to go forgotten.

The long story goes as follows.
It was a few years that I couldn't wait to make a new C64 game. I've been also toying with a few interesting ideas. But I had decided to first finish Huenison before beginning a new project (in the last years, a few projects interwined: QUOD INIT EXIT itself, the mentioned Huenison, BOH, KOG and other minor/internal ones, so I felt that beginning a new one would be too much, and I badly wanted to get Huenison done, which had suffered already a big delay because of a couple of major events in life). My determination and irresistible urge made me also reveal in a few interviews/places that as soon as I'd release Huenison, I'd start a new C64 game. I really couldn't (and can't) wait.
However, precisely these days, when I was supposed to start the new project, I took a painful decision: to stop developing altogether. It's painful because developing itself is such an immensely self-gratifying and pleasant activity that I can't put it in words. And that's the problem: this activity is totally egocentric/egoist. I use so much of the talent, energies and time I'm given for myself, for such an unimportant activity, while, in the world, there could be a much better use for them.
In short, I've decided to do what I know to be right, instead of what I like.

That said, at the same time, I just don't have the heart to leave my currently open projects unfinished: so I plan to finish a certain framework of mine and to release updated versions of KOG and BOH (which are based on the framework).
QUOD INIT EXIT was precisely one of those open projects. I must say I would have liked to make use of the last bytes and cycles free, but honestly I still couldn't come up with a good idea. So, given that adding features would have been against my decision of quitting developing, I decided to release the game as it was (with the due final polishing, of course: the game is an perfect as I could make it, including the commas in the code comments).

Sorry to disappoint you and anybody else (if any) who was expecting more from me.

Jupp3 
Posted on 11-Sep-2013 14:59:49
#37 ]

@saimo

Quote:
Out of curiosity, is that brute CPU hires bitmap processing, or did you exploit characters/sprites for the 2x and 4x stretching?

Forgot to reply this earlier.

Basically almost all graphics are done with characters, there are a few expanded sprites in the background (although forgot to initialize them, so their color is "whatever happens to be in the memory"). Can top and bottom are self-explanatory, I hope

As for the rotation, there's the bitmap in the memory. One row of a can consists of 9 characters, the layout could be described like this:

For each row, a single pixel is rolled left for character 1. Then the carry bit gets rolled into first character marked with 2, rolled twice so one pixel becomes two. When a pixel leaves 2nd area, it's multiplied into 3. Then back to 2 and finally 1. One line done at a time, so that carry lasts for the entire line.

Could probably have optimized it quite a bit, but hey, biggest demo this far! iirc, there's about half kilobyte of code, and the rest is used for graphics.

saimo 
Posted on 11-Sep-2013 16:33:34
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Quote:
As for the rotation, there's the bitmap in the memory. One row of a can consists of 9 characters, the layout could be described like this:

For each row, a single pixel is rolled left for character 1. Then the carry bit gets rolled into first character marked with 2, rolled twice so one pixel becomes two. When a pixel leaves 2nd area, it's multiplied into 3. Then back to 2 and finally 1. One line done at a time, so that carry lasts for the entire line.

I see (so I had got it right ) - thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
Could probably have optimized it quite a bit, but hey, biggest demo this far!

Yes, sure, very good exercise. Best luck and lots of fun with the next productions!

saimo 
Posted on 10-Jun-2016 17:36:31
#39 ]
Elite Member

It looks like this thread needs an update.

Eventually, I couldn't stay away from developing for long. Gotta try again.
Anyway, after restarting, I have released MAH, an updated version of Huenison, an updated version of QUOD INIT EXIT, and, earlier this week, QUOD INIT EXIT IIm - this time a scrolling platformer.

If you feel like having a look, here's the website

Lazi 
Posted on 10-Jun-2016 19:29:20
#40 ]
Cult Member

@saimo

Thanks to the update!
I am a big fan of your works. Every game from you has got nice atmospheric gfx style. I love them!

The only excuse of not developing for Amiga is if you develop for C64 :)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle