Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 153 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  8 mins ago
 amigakit:  17 mins ago
 Rob:  33 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 pavlor:  3 hrs 21 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Heart of Darkness : a one of best cinematic platform video game now and for AmigaOS4 !
Register To Post

PosterThread
kas1e 
Heart of Darkness : a one of best cinematic platform video game now and for AmigaOS4 !
Posted on 8-Jan-2020 18:34:48
#1 ]
Elite Member

Heart of Darkness is a cinematic platform video game developed by Amazing Studio released in the late of 90x.

Lately, I see that BeeWorld made a port of the game to MorphOS, so I give it a go and it was easy enough to build.

Through, there were some issues that I wasn't able to fix fast, so with the help of the author of that cross-platform engine rewrite, it was a faster deal with and everything ready.

The author is our known Gregory Montoir, who did those tasty cross-platform rewrites of Another World, Bermuda Syndrome, Fade To Black, Flashback: The Quest For Identity and now Heart of Darkness

http://cyxdown.free.fr/

To play in the game you need original data files of course and place them to the "data" directory. Files which you need are:

- hod.paf (or hod_demo.paf, hod_demo2.paf if you play demo version)
- setup.dat
- *_hod.lvl
- *_hod.sss
- *_hod.mst

In OS4 archive there is a tasty PDF manual coming (for control and stuff), as well as README, so you will have there all explained well.

Game build over SDL2, which means all tasty stuff: it works in all possible modes (window/fullscreen), in window mode it can be resized, working iconification, joystick support (tested at least on Logitech Gamepad F310) and so on.

Everything about engine and display can be controlled from the hode.ini placed in the root of the archive.

Game do autosave once you hit the new screen, and when you will run the game again it will start from the last place. If you want to start from the beginning, delete "date/setup.cfg" file.

And of course, a video on amigaos4 in action:

video of Heart of Darkness in action on AmigaOS4, 1920x1080 full HD

Profile     Report this post  
utri007 
Re: Heart of Darkness : a one of best cinematic platform video game now and for AmigaOS4 !
Posted on 8-Jan-2020 20:56:32
#2 ]

@kas1e

Thanks! What are requirents? RadeonHD?

kas1e 
Re: Heart of Darkness : a one of best cinematic platform video game now and for AmigaOS4 !
Posted on 8-Jan-2020 21:05:19
#3 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

Pure SDL2, which linked inside of binary. I.e. request nothing, just os4 machine

Last edited by kas1e on 08-Jan-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Yssing 
Posted on 8-Jan-2020 21:16:05
#4 ]

@kas1e

That is really cool!

lionstorm 
Posted on 9-Jan-2020 20:53:14
#5 ]

@kas1e

thx for this new release (and kudos to Gregory Montoir too), I remember this game from the playstation era, even have the original CD somewhere but did not play it extensively...

is the game completable with this engine ?

kas1e 
Posted on 9-Jan-2020 22:02:52
#6 ]
Elite Member

@lionstorm

At moment i was able to finish first 3 levels, and playing in 4st one. At least till that moment it works for sure. It bring a skippable DSI on finishing levels, i report it to author and he fix it, and there will be another version soon. But still even with current one game can be played. Hope till final

geit 
Posted on 10-Jan-2020 1:40:42
#7 ]

Oh, I loved the Game.

I finished it on PSX in 3D mode and it was awesome.

pavlor 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 14:32:08
#8 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Thanks!

kas1e 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 19:37:05
#9 ]
Elite Member

@all

New version in os4depot's upload query. What new:

1). fixed spiders and worms movement
2). fixed small/skippable DSI when passing the levels (there was free of uninitialized memory)
3). when exit from fullscreen mode no more "returned with unfreed signals 0xc000000". That was due missing SDL_Quit, which on other modern oses not that important and can be easily forgotten as OS doing re-cleanup of resources on app's exit too.

samo79 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 19:41:01
#10 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Thank you

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

kas1e 
Posted on 22-Jan-2020 18:21:51
#11 ]
Elite Member

@All
New 2.0.6 version in os4depot's upload query. Changes since last:

* release 0.2.6
- added initial code for menu (so currently not fully functional, but some parts are)
- added initial code for PSX sounds (SPU ADPCM)
- fixed skull animation in 'rock' screen 18

(click on images for fullsize)

Thanks for BeWorld to remind, and Gregory for interest to keep BigEndian support.

Trixie 
Posted on 22-Jan-2020 19:38:21
#12 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@kas1e

Thanks! Gaming on OS4 is becoming more and more fun

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

outrun1978 
Posted on 22-Jan-2020 21:11:03
#13 ]
Cult Member

@Kas1e

Yes indeed thank you very much for the updates. Like Trixie I too share the enthusiasm for so many OS4 game goodies. I always chuckle to myself when people say there is nothing to play on my X5000. Granted a lot of the stuff on OS4 are ports from elsewhere, but for those who wonder about Next Generation Amigas it is worth noting that between my classic Amiga software, OS4 and emulation of Final Burn Alpha supported systems, PlayStation One , C64 and DosBox I’ve somehow managed to fill about 250GB worth of games on my SSD drive. I’ve got installed over 100 different titles specifically for AmIgaOS 4 alone 😉

Whoever has been lucky enough to order a AAA bundle and ultimately pick up one of these A1222 early adopter boards is going to be in for a right gaming treat with their machines 😉

Trixie 
Posted on 22-Jan-2020 21:58:45
#14 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@outrun1978

Quote:
Granted a lot of the stuff on OS4 are ports from elsewhere

Until (if, ever) the OS4 market can sustain "native" developer teams such as Entwickler-X, I'm afraid ports will prevail. But Amiga has always had ports. Even in the heyday years quite a few games had first been written for C64, Atari ST or PC, and only then ported to AmigaOS.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

kas1e 
Posted on 28-Jan-2020 20:32:18
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Yeah... There probably will be no true-native-only-amigaos4 games. Even Entwickler-X do games multiplatform, just they take into account aos4 too, so "porting" is more professional. I am pretty sure there impossible to have "pure amigaos4" or "pure morphos" or "pure aros" really BIG titles, because who in a sane mind will lose years for making a really professional and big game which will use 100-200 users :) He will do the same for other platforms too, and may have ported it to os4 (mos, aros) as well.

@all
0.2.7 version in os4depot's upload query:

- added 'projection' submenu (so you can use "show cinematics" in options)
- added PSX backgrounds (MDEC)

wawa 
Posted on 29-Jan-2020 15:57:24
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Quote:
ported to AmigaOS.

must be a freudian slip ;)
at the risk of nitpicking. the games had been ported to amiga, not to amigaos. the os, except kickstart, has almost never been a concern nor valid subject for game developers, at least not, as long as amiga has been relevant in gaming.

sorry, not trying to start an argument here. just passing..

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle