Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
35 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 miggymac:  37 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 cncparts:  4 hrs 47 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs 33 mins ago
 Beajar:  5 hrs 53 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 55 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  MOS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Matt3k 
MOS?
Posted on 30-Jul-2022 18:20:31
#1 ]

IMHO - Why not just use Morphos? (Sorry meant to put this under the x86 thread, for those who wanted AOS4 ported to X86...)

My logic is simply this:
1. It has an extremely good email client and browser that make it very useful.
2. The team has been very helpful and responsive with me to get all my 68k items running. Many on the team has tested software and offered options.
3. MOS is extremely stable and mature at this point.
4. The video card divide is now going away.
5. I presume they are somewhere along the way to getting the OS on AMD. From internet videos it seems to be running at some level right now.

I using my system for productivity and my career, and MOS is the only real option to accomplish that well for my needs. With PolyOrganizer (Real modern CRM/PIM), Iris, Wayfarer. It is well suited for my needs.

My experience has been very favorable and this worked perfectly for me in the end...

Last edited by Matt3k on 30-Jul-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 30-Jul-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 30-Jul-2022 at 06:22 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 30-Jul-2022 at 06:21 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
redfox 
Re: MOS?
Posted on 30-Jul-2022 19:54:16
#2 ]
Elite Member

Karlos 
Posted on 30-Jul-2022 20:15:13
#3 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@Matt3k

Once upon a time you'd be chased by a mob with pitchforks for that lol

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Jul-2022 21:20:39
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Matt3k

Well you need to ask the MorphOS team where the x86 port is.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Jul-2022 at 09:22 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Jul-2022 21:46:37
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Matt3k

If you asking what the difference, between the two are..

Well PowerUP I believe only MorpOS supports.
(typical there is also a WarpOS version of game/program, or there really old stuff has OS4 version, or not relvent.)

WarpOS support is supported on MorphOS and AmigaOS4.

You run 680x0 software on MorphOS and AmigaOS4.1, typical what breaks on one breaks on the other as well, same problems, as noen of the systems emulate chipsets. Maybe AmigaOS4.1 breaks more, but you can also be argued that 680x0 program/game/demo is broken if does support AmigaOS4.1, most changes are not mind blowing.

MorphOS only support overlay.
AmigaOS4.1 support overlay, composition YUV422, video decoding, and advanced shader graphics.

MorphOS runs on low of end none expensive PowerPC mac hardware, if you can find one, but you must make sure get one with graphic card the is well supported.

Desktop is different, Ambient vs Workbench.
MorphOS feels like a mix between MacOSX and AmigaOS, some like it, some don’t nothing wrong with that.

Slightly better SDK on MorphOS, this why they have some new features, AmigaOS4.x don’t yet. mostly relevant to C++11 or newer features. Nothing to worry about, work is ongoing to update SDK for AmigaOS4.x.

AmigaOS4.1 will suffer from legal issues and road bumps, as we transitions into AmigaKIT OS.

As for going x86 you run into many of same problems as AmigaOS, what important to you, run Amiga software, or use PC software? Maybe you can support x86 and ppc, 680x0, but I’m sure there is a catch 22 somewhere in there. And not easy or something you do quickly do over night.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Jul-2022 at 11:18 PM.

Matt3k 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 0:12:06
#6 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

I was really making a comment as I read the AOS to X86 thread, and misposted here. I have used AOS 4.x,3.x, AROS/ICAROS, MOS. Seems to me that all the effort to keep forking a very small user base was counter productive really. After using all those flavors of Amiga and enjoying them all, MOS is ahead in terms of OS maturity and email clients/browsers. So if the community backed less OS options it would help all of us and more applications could be developed, such as a really good office product. All the OS development could be focused on applications, where it it desperately needed. Instead of yet another Amiga like OS, it is 2022. So much time has been lost already, while we still have a dwindling community that can still eat solid food and use their "Amiga" systems it makes sense to use resources wisely.

At the end of the day, I'm just an end user trying to get the most out of my Amiga systems and this isn't at all emotional but practical, It has been like this since the mid 90's, and probably never will change which is the real sad story of Amiga...

Thank you, I appreciate your ideas concerning systems and your knowledge of them. I'm just going to keep using the PowerMac 2.3GHz and my 3000's until something better comes along.

Matt3k 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 0:14:55
#7 ]

@Karlos

LOL, I'm in my 50's these days (seems like yesterday when I was in my teens with my A500). Glad we all grew past that!

HammerD 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 0:42:39
#8 ]
Cult Member

@Matt3k

Why not use both? In fact I use 3.x, 4,x, MorphOS, Amithlon, Pistorm, etc :)

They are all cool!

Darren

redfox 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 3:16:04
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Matt3k

Why not just use Morphos?

In the old days, those would be fighting words.

Now I say .... great idea!

redfox

Last edited by redfox on 31-Jul-2022 at 03:26 AM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 5:11:35
#10 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

Quote:

Matt3k wrote:
IMHO - Why not just use Morphos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLUIi02FMK0&t=5739s

/MEGA!

klx300r 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 5:39:08
#11 ]
Elite Member

@redfox

indeed! Red vs Blue wars are thankfully well in the past nowadays and with new X5000’s able to boot both NG flavours it’s really cool Hopefully A-Eon’s future hardware support both as well.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

jPV 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 5:59:02
#12 ]
Cult Member

@Karlos

I think the situation is much healthier nowadays and NG users are more encouraging to each other, which is great of course. Maybe we have grown to appreciate efforts with the similar goals finally, like continuing the Amiga legacy with new solutions generally and even helping each other.

Where I still see some negativity is the attitude of some classic Amiga users against the NG solutions :)

jPV 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 6:11:09
#13 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

MorphOS only support overlay.
AmigaOS4.1 support overlay, composition YUV422, video decoding, and advanced shader graphics.

BTW. MorphOS is getting shader support etc.

Quote:
Desktop is different, Ambient vs Workbench.
MorphOS feels like a mix between MacOSX and AmigaOS, some like it, some don’t nothing wrong with that.

Actually Ambient is heavily inspired by Directory Opus Magellan 2 from Amiga, and I don't see it being that much OSX like. Which one you might prefer is more like if you had used the plain WB or Magellan 2 as WB replacement on your classic Amiga setup.

Trixie 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 7:36:21
#14 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Matt3k

Quote:
Why not just use Morphos?

Why not just use whatever you want, instead of starting another pointless thread?

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

OlafS25 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 7:47:14
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Matt3k

there is nothing wrong on MOS. On PPC it is certainly the best option. Desktop was already mentioned. Amiga users have special tastes so it is difficult to make all happy with one solution. Anbient is inspired by Magellan that is the most sophisticated desktop in amiga world but it is also different from what many people see as amiga. Another problem,

What you should not underestimate are emotions, for many only amigaos is amiga even if alternatives are better and cheaper. And they do not like a "modern desktop" that is too different from classical amigaos.

MOS inherited also most of the amiga shortcomings like 32bit, no memory protection making it unsecure and unstable in todays terms, limited drivers, no SMP, limited software base compared to mainstream platforms.

That all cannot be overcome easily.

AROS of course has currently similar problems despite supporting 64bit and SMP and running on both X86 and AMD64. But Deadwood is currently fixing Scalos (together with some users like me doing testing) for 68k, X86 and AMD64. If that is done he plans to compile Scalos to Linux making it a linux desktop so there might be a future possible with a distribution that is combining linux components and software with AROS components and software using linux as OS and Scalos as desktop. That offers real opportunities I am already looking forward to.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 31-Jul-2022 at 07:50 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 7:56:15
#16 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

it is pure emotions and interests. The main interest of many to play old games and demos and pure nostalgy. Then there are collectors who invest lots of money in the big boxes but it is propably more compareable to oldtimer fans. They do not want to use it for everday tasks and to be honest what people call NG is retro too but without the emotional side. Not interesting to this group.

As I just wrote.... the combination of amiga and linux with amiga desktop as base and linux as OS that would be something. But of course not interesting for everyone too. There will be never something everybody likes.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 10:54:35
#17 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:

Technically speaking: No it doesn’t!

Quote:
AmigaOS4.1 will suffer from legal issues and road bumps,

”Will suffer”?! Come on, the entire OS4 journey from beginning to its end was one huge legal abomination, with growing animosity, shakeout of key developers and broken promises and stalled ambitions. Hyperion was cancer to the Amiga community. Good thing it’s over.

Quote:
as we transitions into AmigaKIT OS.

“Amigakit OS” would be a terrible name IMHO as it would be so easily confused with Amikit. Better use the work name “System 54” for now, at least until the new OS gets a formal name.

You realise that this isn’t going to be OS4 but a new OS (new code, new binaries, new features, new publisher, new name), right?

First there was AROS. Then there was MorphOS. Lastly there was OS4. Three different reimplementations of the classic Amiga, each respectively bringing various new things of their own to their tables.

Even if some users uses all of the above, it has still meant a division of a small and shrinking user group of “NG” users which affected market for third party apps negatively.

Now Aeonkit seems determined to do this a fourth time around with System 54, which will shrink the already tiny OS4 market even more. Not everyone will follow; some will stay on OS4, some will leave (many/most probably already silently have; after all there is no hardware (and at brief times when there is, ithe hardware is weak even by PPC standards and out of reach money-wise) and nothing significant happened to OS4’s development since the Friedens left in 2011, only rather minor progress, with the exception of Final Edition in 2014, which indeed was a solid release, the FE should have been named the “4.0” really since this for the first time made the OS complete in a way OS4 hadn’t seen until then). And if you talk about “transition” to something new that’s not OS4, well then you could as well consider transiting to MorphOS like the Original Poster suggested (for good and valid reasons).

BigD 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 11:00:08
#18 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Where did the Friedens go? I know they bailed on updating Timberwolf but they left the whole platform?! Did they fall out with Ben perchance?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 11:46:53
#19 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
They do not want to use it for everday tasks and to be honest what people call NG is retro too but without the emotional side. Not interesting to this group.

Well of because there is emotional component, just it does include waiting for games to load, disk drive sounds, or plastic. I do love old demos, music, and many of tools and programs that runs on AmigaOS, and simplicity. I’m not much of gamer, platform games fun for 3 secs.

Vampire Standalone has been on my mind a few times, but it worries me, that might take away some drive for to update software, write libraries and write patches, to get software Modernize.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 31-Jul-2022 11:58:11
#20 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

https://www.linkedin.com/in/hans-joerg-frieden-65053233/?originalSubdomain=de

Well on his Linked In profile, it says he is working for Trever, in the
ExecSG team.

As we all know ben did not pay for some of the development, as result no compensation for work being done, so ExecSG was sold to Trever by the developer, Trever has also prayed for lots of the drivers, for AmigaONE-X1000, AmigaONE-X50x0, and AmigaONE-A1222 hardware, Trever is now in control of lot of kernel modules, and OS components but not ALL of the OS.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Jul-2022 at 02:46 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle