Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 112 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  16 mins ago
 retrofaza:  44 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 Seiya:  4 hrs 47 mins ago
 matthey:  5 hrs 9 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 19 mins ago
 vox:  6 hrs 23 mins ago
 kolla:  7 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  The New Commodore Amiga 500x and Commodore 64x
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
Daniel 
Re: The New Commodore C500 and Commodore PC64
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 18:19:46
#81 ]

@BigBentheAussie

The first case design on their homepage was done by an Amiga user years ago and I'm sure is on Aminet somewhere. I hope they got his permission before trying to pass this off as their own work.

OS section is midly interesting, Ubuntu seems to be focus with AROS getting a mention. Seems they are open to alternative OSes at least.

Profile     Report this post  
Daniel 
Re: The Commodore C500 and PC64
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 18:21:28
#82 ]

@JurassicC

Quote:
http://www.CommodoreUSA.net/amigo.html

persia 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 18:50:47
#83 ]

@Daniel

They're just looking for he owner of the design by putting it on their website ;)

Sort of like all the wording from Apple....

Mark76 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 19:03:57
#84 ]

@persia

I take it emailing Marko Hirv at wm@mailer.ee drew a blank.

http://uk.aminet.net/pix/trace/AMIGA-fantasy1.jpg

persia 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 19:07:30
#85 ]

@BigBentheAussie

The big advantages of a box are expandability and cooling, the advantage of a laptop is portability. But you are right I've got many computer in the house, a desktop for power, a laptop for portability, a tablet for fun and development. I've got a desktop hooked into my TV (with blue tooth keyboard/mouse). I think I've got computers in every room in the house except the toilet and bathroom.

I guess you can never have too many. I find myself using the iPad for casual surfing, and the laptop sitting out n the veranda working on projects. In the end I think a keyboard with a computer in it lost a fair amount of it's appeal with the advent of flat panel monitors and blue tooth. The only thing I see in them is nostalgia and that isn't enough to get me to buy.

My next purchase is an android tablet, probably one of those 10 inch ZT-180s with 2.1 on them, it'll make a great younger brother for my iPad....

IslandDreamer 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 19:17:15
#86 ]

@persia

Your computing collection sounds a lot like mine. And since I don't throw anything away, I've got multiple generations worth of gear, a lot of it sitting in closets.

If rumors of the Apple's iTV are true, the upcoming reimagining of the AppleTV will be a very interesting addition to the living room. I really want to be able to browse Hulu and Netflix on the iPad and have them playback on the bigscreen.

@BigBentheAussie

Perhaps a more forward-looking form factor for the new Commodore to consider is an all-in-one model, like the iMac or HP Touchsmart.

Manu 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 19:25:51
#87 ]

If a keyboard computer can do wirless video to my TV i see a certain use for it in families or individuals that are not particullary interested in sitting isolated in front of the computer in another room. That family could pick up the "lightweight" "slick" keyboard computer from underneath the sofa table and quickly check gmail or something while waiting for the saturday movie. If nothing good is on for the night you could stream something off the internet for everybody to see.

Posted on 12-Aug-2010 19:32:16
#88 ]

What a shame, a mockery of the good old Commodore64. LOL, it's just a laptop without a monitor.

Mr_DBUG 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 20:05:45
#89 ]

@BigBentheAussie

If the C500 fantasy case gets manufactured, maybe it could be made in some kind of standard so for example the NatAmi or a MiniMig v2 could fit in it from the start.

A kind of dual purpose case. Either housing your own innards or a classic replacement from NatAmi (if it ever comes out).

So people could buy the case and put a NatAmi or such mobo in it.
This version could possibly have missing stickers so it could be branded with NatAmi stickers or something

And also I read about the boot option for C64 on the PC64 Maybe it could be possible to get such on the C500 as well ? (with Amigaemulation I mean

And AROS !! Aros is the most likely future for an Amigalike OS to survive i fear....

And could it be smart to have some kind of upgradeable graphics on the C500 - MXM .. ?

Whatever you do, make sure its not hardware that gets HOT , I just CANT STAND
typing on a hot laptop keyboard .. !

Anyway good luck, and bring in the money and siphon off 5 % for retro stuff

Last edited by Mr_DBUG on 12-Aug-2010 at 08:28 PM.

opi 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 20:39:03
#90 ]
Team Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
How many people buy a laptop, connect it to a monitor, keyboard and mouse

Many people, me included.

Quote:
then just leave it that way?

No one.

opi 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 20:41:42
#91 ]
Team Member

@1970

Quote:
What a shame, a mockery of the good old Commodore64. LOL, it's just a laptop without a monitor.

Wow, I'm agreeing with you. How sad/strange is that? There can be one computer that bares the Commodore 64 name and it was produced in 80s.

Manu 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 20:51:45
#92 ]

@opi

You're not supposed to take it too serious. I mean if you really think about it how could you create a second Commodore 64, a second Amiga ? It's impossible. I for one think it's cool that somebody actually picked up the Commodore name and does something with it. I don't talk about the re-branding because that will only fail but I see a thiny chance with a custom model based on the old models for retro geeks. And a big bonus if it would be Commodore Aros as well.

Arko 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 21:43:59
#93 ]

@tommywright

Quote:

Why don't they make minimig as a card or addon to a ppc or x86 board?

You can get a full equipped x86 PC for the price of a Minimig (with Case, PSU, ARM board and OS1.3/3.9)

An addon card like the Minimig, an Efika will need resources in this x86 unit like space cooling and power that is very rare on a keyboard computer. I think there is just a minority of customes interested on such a hardware solution and limited ressources for development.

Quote:

That way we could have the best of both. Is emulation just as good?

Emulation is good (even if I don't like the idea) the AmigaNG and Minimig market should tell you how hard such solutions are, maybe Cloanto has made more money with Amiga Foreever than Eytech ever did with their PPC hardware.

@Hammer
Quote:

They could do X86 based a hybrid PC/games console with pre-loaded Valve's Steam/Impulse/Direct2Drive, pre-loaded Amiga Forever (optional), pre-loaded C64 Forever (optional), and dual boot with AROS/NVIDIA drivers.

Until today they have only sold relabeled hardware, I don't think they have real HW developers, maybe someone who could pack a HD image with Ubuntu to a HD.
I don't know if they really work on hardware, most x86 Notebook/Laptop hardware is modular, as long as you have someone who build you a case you can get main board and GFX cards with MiniPC and some additional hardware and plug it together nearly like a desktop, maybe they know someone that could do it for them.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

persia 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 21:50:00
#94 ]

@Manu
They're creating a re-imagined past. A past where you can run Windows 7 on your C64. Guess it'll work for some people.

Arko 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 22:01:05
#95 ]

@amigang

Quote:

I notice also the other day that the ASUS Eee keyboard is due for lunch soon, ( review ) most probably why there is new interest in going back to the idea of having the whole computer in a keyboard solution. intresting times

I don't like the idea of the wireless Asus PC, there are cheaper possibillities, you can place a standard desktop PC behind a TFT monitor, and use a wireless keyboard and mouse (or a wireless keyboard with touch pad) some of this devices are small and lighter tha a A600 and they could be used with the most powerfull multy Multicore system:

http://www.amazon.com/Keysonic-ACK-540RF-Integrated-Frequency-Computers/dp/B003687WV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281646314&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/DSI-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad-RK-728/dp/B00176ND1Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281646314&sr=8-2

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

nikosidis 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 22:09:00
#96 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Gratz with the job :D

This looks fantastic. Way to go Commodore.

I like to buy one at some point.

Arko 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 22:30:40
#97 ]

@Manu

Quote:

if you really think about it how could you create a second Commodore 64, a second Amiga ? It's impossible.

Of course it's impossible, not because no one can't construct it, the world has changed since the C64 and the A500. Cheap powerfull x86 HW is everywhere. When the C64 and A500 appeared, they where relative cheap compared to the other PCs, they where fully equipped game machines, that could be used for serious Home-Computing.

To do something quite similar today, you would need someone with as much money as Microsoft or Sony, creating a game platform in the shape of a desktop computer. Just the first games sponsored by the manufacturer would need more investment than the whole AOS4 or MOS software development, you would need a marketing budget nearly as high as the HW and SW development budget for the device.

That's not the way revolution works, a revolutionary product is something developed with just a few bugs turning into a mega seller in a marked neglected or undiscovered by major players, Facebook is a good example, it is more like the beginning of Home-Computing, someone with a small team and low budget makes something that turns into a huge success.
Today it impossible to make another Home Computer revolution, even software or operation systems needs a lot of investments and there is not much that can't be impoved without huge investments.
This might be the reason why we have the same major players in HW/OS and SW markets like we had 10 years ago.

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Aug-2010 23:15:02
# ]

@persia

There's almost a pseudo-religous tone to your post - like they're doing something blasphemous. It's just a new computer in a funky retro case. Great for emulation fans.

Chris

Report this post  
persia 
Posted on 13-Aug-2010 0:00:14
#99 ]

@clebin

That what I meant. No practical value, it's a retro fans toy. I buy toys all the time, so there's no judgement in that, just this isn't my type of toy.

Prober 
Posted on 13-Aug-2010 1:51:32
#100 ]

its your computer different than ZPC-GX31 from CyberNet? Except for the logo?

Last edited by Prober on 13-Aug-2010 at 01:52 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle