Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
31 crawler(s) on-line.
 57 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  19 mins ago
 Hammer:  28 mins ago
 bhabbott:  37 mins ago
 matthey:  41 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 gonegahgah:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
Leo 
Re: AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 16:52:50
#481 ]

Quote:

Hmmm....How about sticking Minimig in something like the Amigo.
I was hoping for Natami....but they look a long way off.

The "Amiga in a Joystick" reminds me of the original Amiga, that is: plug, and play over your TV. The Amigo is quite different (and doesn't come with a true old school joystick ;)).

Not to mention the Amigo is a real computer, and thus, costs a lot more than what would a mass-produced Minimig could cost.

In a nutshell, I see nostalgic people buy a 75$ "plug and play on your tv joystick" and immediately play 15 of your favorite Amiga (tm) games. On the other end, I don't see nostalgic people spending 300-500$ (what would be the price of the Amigo ?) on a full computer than runs Linux/AROS, and could run your Amiga games, but then you need to buy a joypad... It won't really feel like the original.

Diehard fans could buy the Amigo, but there are only a few of them when compared with nostalgic people... Of course, an Amiga in a joystick hasn't been built yet by some Chineese company, so you would have to contract (pay) someone to do the work... Same goes for the production, distribution,... This is more investment/risk, but it's worth a lot more.

My two cents :)

Profile     Report this post  
nikosidis 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 16:56:06
#482 ]
Cult Member

@T-J

you did not get me.
I said the unpartitioned space could be use to alternative OS or as another partition.

If you don't want another OS there, format it to use with your existing OS.
For novice users just forget it. 100GB is not much lost if you have 1TB
For people that like to install other OS win.. requires at least 25GB I guess.

Leave 50GB unpartitioned then. Whatever.

I don't see the point only leaving 5GB, cause that would only suit AROS then. Nothing else.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 16:57:47
#483 ]

@Leo

It is up to someone else to make I'm afraid.
You don't need a Commodore or Amiga trademark to do that, and from the way things look the trademark licensing kinda gets in the way.
Anyone could essentially do it now with miniminimig.

Daemon 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 17:11:18
#484 ]

PC64 is an cable to connect commodore 64 and a pc

http://sta.c64.org/pc64.html

aswell as an commodore 64 emulator

http://www.the-commodore-zone.com/articlelive/articles/33/1/PC64/Page1.html

:p

Leo 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 17:11:45
#485 ]

@BigBentheAussie: no one will do it. Minimig is an hobby project. It won't sell thousands until it's minimized, marketed/sold correctly...

Having the Commodore brand associated with it would add a lot. I thought you would see interest in it. But it seems you only want to make use of the brand to resell Chinese PCs. Fine to me, simply not what I want, and I see no point in that. Maybe some people will though...

Btw you don't need the Commodore or Amiga brand to sell Chinese "all in one" AROS/Linux PCs either...

WillKar 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 17:23:19
#486 ]

@BigBentheAussie

"Hmmm....How about sticking Minimig in something like the Amigo.
I was hoping for Natami....but they look a long way off."

May i suggest something that could be a rapidly-successful idea?
Make a deal with whoever "owns" the Minimig, and build a sort of a netbook based on it. No need for extra hi-tech gizmo etc. A regular 7-10" LCD built into the unit, with a joypad-style controller, and some studying on the battery operation should give you the first Commodore Amiga portable! If i had around 400 Euros available i'd trully build one.... Then, if you wanna go advanced, invest in upgrading the hardware to add USB and ethernet. That would be a hit! (personal opinion folks, don't shoot )
Maybe even a poll would give an idea of potential buyers? Something in the means of : "Who would buy a 350-400 Euro portable Amiga?"

ruben 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 17:44:43
#487 ]

@WillKar

That would pretty much be one of these:
http://openpandora.org/

Just need to bundle it with legal Amiga Roms. You even got the price right

WillKar 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 18:00:35
#488 ]

@ruben

Kinda like that, but not exactly! As much as i like the Pandora, i was thinking of something a bit bigger. A 4.3" screen is way too small (especially for my age LOL)
Although a powerfull machine compared to the Minimig, it would probably run something in the UAE form... But yeah, you got the point!

elatour 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 18:03:36
#489 ]
Cult Member

@Hammer

Quote:
Then again, Apple's recent sales numbers showed a 33 percent growth in Mac computer sales between April and June 2010 compared to the same period last year.

Probably due to a large numbers of developers new to iPod, iPhone and/or iPad development buying Macs to develop for these devices.

Honestly though, I really don't know either way whether this is substantially influencing sales of Macs or not, but I'd be willing to bet that the this requirement for development for their mobile devices is having some impact on sales figures. I am also aware that anything Apple certainly has some cachet attached to it these days. some of it deservedly and much of it due to strong marketting, whcih is at least 50% if not more of the reason people buy Apple products these days.

Anyway, whether you love or hate them, nobody can deny that they're more successful than most of their competitors at the moment.

I would love to see someone take our beloved Amiga in this direction and make it a success like Jobs and his team managed to do with the Mac/AppleOS/NextStep, but I don't think this will happen in my lifetime if ever.

jorkany 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 18:20:41
#490 ]
Cult Member

Just thought I'd drop in and say hi!

elatour 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 18:20:55
#491 ]
Cult Member

@DAX

Quote:
I don't think that a couple of stickers will make these efforts much better than iMica or Ares, (I also don't know what the Aros developers will think about Amiga inc, trying making money thanks to their efforts on Aros).

AmigaOS and MorphOS users won't even notice.

Probably. However, a few possible advantages I can see from the CBM USA systems though are:

- They will be available this side of the pond whereas these other systems are only available on the opposite side of the pond - which may not be a biggie seeing as I suspect the larger market at least initially would most likely be in the UK and Europe, although I would certainly welcome the availability of something on this side of the pond.

- The case's form factor might have some appeal for some folks with a sense of nostalgia for the classic Amiga 500/600/1200 systems - not me personally, I always preferred tower/desktop cases for expandability reasons, which is now a moot point with most expansion hardware seeing as just about everything is USB based, but I now prefer laptops and slates to any of those form factors. Then again, ironically enough, perhaps CBM USA will become the first to release an Amiga branded laptop, slate or mobile device - which would have mass appeal with many methinks.

I'm taking a watch and see approach to all of this. It all makes for some very entertaining drama in the meantime though!

number6 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 18:28:42
#492 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
Just thought I'd drop in and say hi!

I know I'll regret saying this...but...

Welcome back.

Nice avatar. Are you replacing ssolie now as #1 BAF? heh.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 18:30:17
#493 ]

@number6

Quote:
Are you replacing ssolie now as #1 BAF? heh.

What's a BAF?

number6 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 18:32:28
#494 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
What's a BAF?

oh dear...nothing to see here...move along...

elatour 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 18:33:42
#495 ]
Cult Member

@Daniel

Quote:
Just looked at Commodore USA website, how can anyone take them seriously?

Same could have been/was/is said about Hyperion's and AInc.'s websites, both of whcih claimed for over a decade to be professional companies producing serious and next gen software for the mobile device market, and we all know what happenned to both, one appears to be on the verge of bankrupcy and the other has been relegated to making and supporting a now "hobby" OS for a sub 2000 consumer market.

Bottom line is that pretty much anything Amiga has been directed at a shrinking niche market for the better part of 15 years and is not likely to change anytime soon. Glossy web sites, product brochures and/or marketting campains will not likely change that for some time to come, especially the products they peddle don't sell well or catch on with new and/or nostalgic consumers.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 18:35:46
#496 ]

@elatour

Quote:
I always preferred tower/desktop cases for expandability reasons

We can do that too.
But I am not going to announce anything at this point.

elatour 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 19:30:52
#497 ]
Cult Member

@ruben

Quote:
4 things made an Amiga:

A - High performance, unique custom hardware
B - Outstanding operating system and GUI (Workbench)
C - Exclusive/awesome games
D - Kick-ass user community

It wasn't until after the demise of Commodore (and Escom) in the Gateway years, that it's decided that point A is a dead end, due the way the industry evolved. Only since then, the Amiga is reduced to B, an Operating System. C and D are pretty much gone, obviously.

So this is why the whole "whatever runs AmigaOS4 is the true Amiga" is BS to me. Escom were the last to build Amiga computers.

I could not agree more. Cripes...I'm not even sure what Amiga COULD even mean to me anymore.

I recall being conflicted in the mid to late 90's about some talk about dropping the use and/or support of custom hardware chips and instead use Linux or QNX as a kernel with Amiga being relegated to a mere GUI API with some portable development language a-la JAVA. In hindsight, perhaps QNX may have been a good move. Either would have given Amiga a multi-platform and mobile base. RIM just purchassed QNX. This may however not ultimately save RIM from what currently appears to be certain doom for them. Is Amiga just a brand now, like Virgin, and if so what does it stand for? My vote is for friendly technology that is both innovative and promotes/fosters creativity.

"Oh...I'm so confused" ~ Vincent 'Vinnie' Barbarino

In MY perfect world, we'd see an AmigaOS ported to x86 and to ARM running on Amiga-branded hardware including laptops, netbooks, slates and mobile phones. Using off-the-shelf hardware using a common reference platform but which would include some standard custom expansion/programmable hardware and a partially or fully-open AmigaOS that 3rd paties could expand on in exiting, creative and innovative ways. But sadly, this will not likely ever see the light of day, and perhaps it shouldn't.

Bottom line is that CBM USA is simply tapping into their vision of what Amiga means to them NOW...which they are gambling will resonate with many folks out there who most likely no longer or have never owned an Amiga...an all-in-one PCs that offers access to not only standard OSes and hardware devices in an all-in-one form factor, but also provides an alternative OS that makes references to the original concept and even allows one to run some of the retro software for it through AROS, UAE/Amiga Forever. Their original concept does not appeal to me personally, but who am I to dictate or tell anyone what their vision should be of the Amiga, specially when one considers that it looks like they may have paid for the right to use the Amiga name for AIO systems.

Last edited by elatour on 07-Sep-2010 at 08:22 PM.

elatour 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 20:02:59
#498 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
My thinking was run UAE through AROS.
At least it would give people more of a reason to boot into AROS for the retro goodness....
We would position AROS as a portal for everything retro.

It is the most logical path for such a system, at least IMHO. I can't say that I would argue with that logic unless it put you in a legal bind by doing so. My guess is that one could also access some of the C64, MAME, AtariST, etc. retro stuff through AROS too?

I see how the all-in-one might appeal to some nostalgic folks and possibly others, but I personally would not be too attracted to such system. However, if this was ultimately successful, I'd love to see a laptop, or even better, a slate with such a setup in the future as well.

ddni 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 20:07:39
#499 ]
Cult Member

@jorkany

Commodore USA are ripping off every thing else that is Amiga related, you might as well steal TrevorD's avatar too....

eXec 
Posted on 7-Sep-2010 20:22:08
#500 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
@Leo

Who owns the Workbench trademark?
I'm pretty sure it is Amiga Inc.
We could probably just drop Commodore from the title and just call it Workbench....
Is that what you want? Really?
Don't you think we're getting enough heat over AROS as it is right now without bringing the issue of A.Inc's involvement into this further?
We wanted to do AROS well before we contacted Amiga Inc. but now I'm not so sure we can even proceed.

@BigBentheAussie

You got the Amiga name, next stop, Workbench....
I want you to take over the Workbench as well...
You gout yourself a real Jackpot then....
no one can stop you!

Take it all!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle