Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Hypex,  amigang

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  39 secs ago
 amigang:  2 mins ago
 matthey:  8 mins ago
 hannana:  8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  22 mins ago
 A1200:  41 mins ago
 zipper:  42 mins ago
 Matt3k:  47 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmiWest 2015 - Please post questions for participants
Register To Post

PosterThread
number6 
AmiWest 2015 - Please post questions for participants
Posted on 13-Oct-2015 23:21:06
#1 ]
Elite Member

@all

AmiWest presenters:

Ron Nicholson - A1000 hardware designer
Dan Shallock - Take 2 animation software for Amiga
Alan Swithenbank - FORTRAN for Amiga
Bill Borsari - current Amiga games, for sale and free
Trevor Dickinson - new A-EON developments
Steve Solie - Hyperion, AmigaOS next steps
Paul Sadlik & Alex Carmona - Amiga Users and Apps demo
Alex Perez - Inertial Computing, Amiga classic tech updated
Brian Deneen - Infocessories, REBOL MAKEDOC demo

AmiWest exhibitors:

Amigakit - Amiga hardware and software dealer for Amiga classic and emerging Amiga platforms
Jeri Ellsworth - CastAR-virtual reality game platform
Dave Morris & Paul Rezendes - MorphOS
Sacramento Amiga Computer Club - Show sponsor, founder, and maintainer of the Jay Miner memorial software library
AMUC - Amiga Users of Calgary
AmiWest broadcast - Broadcasting Amiga shows for over 17 years
Intuitionbase - Eldee Stephens

Any non-listed presenter/exhibitor wishing to be added to this list please post in this thread or PM me on AW and I will update this posting.

(1)Questions gathered from this thread will be sorted by presenter/exhibitor. A list will be printed out for AmiWest staff to use during question and answer sessions following the presentations.

(2)Questions for booth exhibitors might be handled through a 3rd party, as different recording equipment may be used for A/V at the booths.

(3)The way you can best support your people, companies, and representatives at the show starts with you. Please put some thought and some time into your wording and ask questions in a serious manner.

(4)Please post your questions in the format:
@[name of presenter or exhibitor]
[question]

Thank you.

Last edited by number6 on 13-Oct-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
A500Fan 
Re: AmiWest 2015 - Please post questions for participants
Posted on 14-Oct-2015 14:21:04
#2 ]

@Steve Solie:
Finally, the huge task of adapting OS4 for the X5000 is done. Could you now concentrate the manpower of the development team on getting SMP support finished?
Could some other people of the development team support Thomas Frieden in getting SMP done faster?
Now that more and more people are owning multicore PPC hardware, SMP would really boost the OS4 experience. Many people are waiting for it.

@Trevor Dickinson:
If you preorder a X5000 now, will it make it under the christmas tree in time? The shipping target would be in continental Europe.

billt 
Posted on 14-Oct-2015 17:02:51
#3 ]
Elite Member

@number6

@Trevor:
There is a lot of talk about the suspected CPU choice for the Tabor board, and that the model suspected is a huge compatibility problem. I believe this was the same conversation about the UltimatePPC accelerator a while ago. Can you discuss any details about why this CPU was seen as a suitable choice for an AmigaOS 4.x machine, and that solutions are planned for any perceived issues, if you all even believe there are any issues to solve?

@Trevor
How long will the preorder phase for x5000 go for? I'm not sure how long it will take to fund this myself, but I'm hoping to pull it off.

@Jeri
Occulus Rift seems to be the rockstar in a 3d market with a quickly growing number of participants. What should customers be looking for in determining what equipment or software to be excited about?

@Jeri
What are your favorite resources for learning engineering at home? Some topics are avaiable as MOOCs now, but I struggle to find good information about PCB signal integrity. I have an idea of what to worry about now, but not what to do or how to verify/test/simulate for such things, or how to determine S-parameters for simulations or fit them into a simulator. (I had been enrolled in such an SI university course this fall, but it ended up being cancelled, I guess due to low enrollment.)

@Jeri
Do you have any recommendations for the most feature-capable freely available design/engineering software?

@Steve
Hopefully I word this in a way that makes sense...
It's been decsribed that 64bit for OS4 will use an indexed memory approach.
It's also been described that SMP approach will put a copy of OS4 running on each and every core.
Considering those two things, might it be posisble to run 32bit software on a core configured for 32bit mode, runing 32bit copy of OS, and then run "true" (not indexed) 64bit software and true 64bit copy of OS4 on another core, allowing a more native and natural path to 64bit OS and applications, while retaining 32bit legacy compatibility?

@Ron
What do you think about your computer design from so long ago still being so fun for people today?

@Ron
Are you aware of the GB1000 from George Braun, the replacement motherboard for A1000, and what do you think of such efforts to keep their 1000 casework alive and thriving?

@Ron
What do you think about the shift to PowerPC from 68k? Both at the time first they made that shift in the 1990's, as well as continuing with it today?

Last edited by billt on 15-Oct-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Last edited by billt on 14-Oct-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Last edited by billt on 14-Oct-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Last edited by billt on 14-Oct-2015 at 05:08 PM.

walkero 
Posted on 14-Oct-2015 20:35:31
#4 ]

My questions

@Dave Morris & Paul Rezendes
1. All the currently available operating systems try to make their product looking really nice for the users. I believe that MorphOS needs and deserves to be more beautiful without losing it's character. Are you working on the 'Look and Feel' matter of MorphOS?
2. At the Amiga30@Neuss of Germany you presented there the Pagestream 5. In what stage is it's development? Will the fixes pass to AmigaOS 4 and AmigaOS 3?
3. At the same event you also showed th MorphOS 3.9 running on an Amiga 4000 with PPC. Do you update the Classic Amiga version because you want to give the opportunity to users to run it with WinUAE on their PC as well, or you strictly intent to support the old hardware only?
4. Do you intend to continue the porting of MorphOS to other A-EON and ACube systems, and if yes, which ones?

Epsilon 
Posted on 15-Oct-2015 3:15:43
#5 ]

Here are my questions:

@Trevor

Q. Is AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition and MorphOS 3.10 going to be offered as an single/dual pre-installed option for the X5000 as part of the pre-order or later during 2016? If so, can users choose one or both?

Q. Given the considerable active work on Linux builds at the moment, will Linux be offered as a single/dual pre-installed option on the X5000 when it goes on sale?

Q. There has been a lot of discussion on the forums recently about the Tabor board revealed in Germany last weekend. I see the Tabor system and the X5000 performance and features as a bit like comparing an Classic Amiga 1200 to an Classic Amiga 4000T. Do you believe that entry-level AmigaOS 4.1 systems that appeal to people who may not be able to afford an X5000 are going to be more popular, as they were in the Classic Amiga era?

Q. I am wondering why AMIStore can't be preloaded (or included on CD) with all new AmigaOS 4.1 systems given that I understand that they are all tested before they are shipped? I think this would make sense to get new owners able to quickly source new software for their new systems. Is this planned for the future?

@Steve Solie

Q. Do you believe that adding additional core support to AmigaOS 4.2 will result in significantly faster operating system performance than currently under one core? If so, which operating system areas do you believe will benefit most from the additional core(s)?

Q. It appears that MorphOS and AROS are going down the 64bit Intel path and breaking backwards compatibility (which apparently is essential for such a transition) and planning on relying on emulation for older Amiga programs. Is this migration from 32bit to 64bit planned for AmigaOS 4.2 or future versions?

Q. With plenty of work going on at the moment to convert popular Classic Amiga applications to AmigaOS 4.1 native applications, how important do you believe is maintaining Classic Amiga application compatibility for the future of AmigaOS 4.2 development and beyond?

Q. Does Hyperion plan to include a integrated simple backup software (like Apple's Time machine) for the AmigaOS 4.1 system partition to backup/restore from a larger capacity USB stick (rather than DVD) for future releases, rather than relying on small partitions that can be burnt to a DVD?

Catcha,
Epsilon

thellier 
Posted on 15-Oct-2015 8:46:53
#6 ]

Hello

Here is my questions:

Could you explain a few why porting Gallium3D to AmigaOS4 is soooo long considering it was already ported to Aros that is a kind of AmigaOS3 years ago (October 2009 ! ) ?
I can understand that programs that come from non-Amiga-Universe (like say Libre-Office) took a long time due to exotic dependancies ... but here it is a program that already exist in an AmigaOS flavor

@Trevor
Have you seen this excellent adaptation once a child with Omar Sharif as captain Nemo ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Isla_misteriosa_y_el_capit%C3%A1n_Nemo
Because Tabor,Cyrus,Nemo...

But Anyway : Many Thanks to all of you guys for keeping this Amiga spirit alive

Alain Thellier - Wazp3D

Last edited by thellier on 15-Oct-2015 at 08:47 AM.

number6 
Posted on 15-Oct-2015 23:48:36
#7 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Thank you for all the questions posted so far. Keep them coming!

I will be collecting any additional questions, processing, and sending them off to AmiWest participants tomorrow:

Friday - 7:00 p.m. EDT, which is Midnight GMT.

Again, thank you.

KingKong 
Posted on 16-Oct-2015 6:24:03
#8 ]

Two Questions for A-EON and/or Hyperion:

1. I think that besides perhaps LibreOffice a secure und modern web browser is most important. My wishlist: support of HTML5, CSS2.1, Frames, JavaScript, HTTPS/SSL, full save of web pages to files (that's very important), IPv6, tabbed browsing, history, clear data options (clear history/cookies when browser closes), JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, useful blocking/filtering of ads, (third party) cookies and pop-ups. See Comparison of web browsers. The browser should be able to process all most used web sites.

How could this be done (at best) for AmigaOS? May be NetSurf (which mostly lacks JavaScript) could be more supported? Or should Timberwolf be developed further?

2. Call me stupid but I think that AmigaOS should become open source, it's explained in How to make AmigaOS a leading operating system?. You can still sell install-DVDs and every sold Amiga hardware could contribute a percentage of the price for the development of AmigaOS. Only an open cource OS has the chance to become widely used at school, industry, military, governmental institutions ... and I hope in the future the EU will spend big money for the open source development.

So how could AmigaOS become open source? Is there a chance? Is it perhaps only a question of money and how much money would that be?

Thanks.

marko 
Posted on 16-Oct-2015 23:50:24
#9 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@number6

@Steve Solie
How long before AOS4 will get SMP/multi-core-support?

@Steve Solie
Do Hyperion have any plans to bundle some more 3rd party programs and tools (f. ex. AmiStore, Odyssey, etc) on the install CD?

@Trevor
Will different Linux distros be offered as preinstalled options along with AOS4 when X5000 goes on sale?

@Trevor
Can you mention any details about the CPU choice for Tabor in conjunction with AOS4?

@AmigaKit / Hyperion
Any plans on selling AOS4 for Classic as a download option (without the CD) where you get the serial code directly emailed?

@A-Eon
In AmiStore, are there any plans on a feature which lets the user install available updates automatically on one's purchases? Just like in AmiUpdate, maybe even through AmiUpdate itself?

/Marko K. S. @ AW.net

Last edited by marko on 16-Oct-2015 at 11:53 PM.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

number6 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 0:17:15
#10 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Website question collecting for AmiWest 2015 participants is now over.

There is an irc channel set up for the show.

server: irc.amigaworld.net
channel: #amiwest

Please keep discussion on topic for AmiWest 2015.

We 'might" use this channel for questions on Saturday and Sunday during the show.

Be aware though that the show gets busy and this may prevent the channel from being monitored for questions.

Thank you again.

khayoz 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 0:33:40
#11 ]

@number6

@Trevor
Any new Amiga expansion cards on the horizon? Like the Xorro devboard and Prisma Megamix? Tell more about the development/status of the Prisma Megamix!

@Hyperion
Any chance for a OS4.1FE Classic CD/DVD with FSUAE/WinUAE for Mac/Linux/Win Boot/Install? Edit - This maybe is an Hyperion/Cloanto question!

Last edited by khayoz on 17-Oct-2015 at 12:40 AM.

Yasu 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 7:44:15
#12 ]

@Trevor and Amigakit

How is work coming along for a native port to MorphOS and AROS of Personal Paint?

My MorphOS Blog

"Free speech includes other peoples right to offend you."

Breed 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 13:21:50
#13 ]

Hyperion:

What about up to date web browser for Amiga.
Good web browser is foundation of computers nowadays, for examble web TV

Acill 
Posted on 17-Oct-2015 22:43:22
#14 ]

@walkero

I cant speak for what the dev team is doing for MOS, but look and feel is currently very much a personal choice. You have the abiliety to change the look now with skinning. I brought an iBook for as an example that I spend a few hours tuning to look like AmigaOS 4.1 that we are going to give away.

Pagestream has a thread up on this site currently. I am not sure of the answer on how far it is. We didnt get any version to share at the show. I would post this question over at Morphzone for a better answer perhaps.

The MorphOS on classic hardware answer is also over at Morphzone. Its my understanding that the team does have a working version of it thats up to date with the current public release, but the install process isnt polished enough to release and is quite complex. The nice thing about MOS is its easy to install. I can understand them not wanting to release it. As it is now with the last public classic release, its hard to install and a mess of a process.

As far as ports know I know for sure MOS is being developed for the X5000 right now. Ive heard it will not be done for the X1000 which makes sense since they are no longer producing them. You can also get it currently for the Sam boards which I was told today are also no longer available. The best way to experience in my opinion though is to just grap a cheap ibook G4 with an ATI video card in it and use the demo. Its fully functional for 30 minutes with no restriction. I have seen 1.42Ghz iBooks go for under $30 on ebay latly.

retro 
Posted on 18-Oct-2015 19:14:27
#15 ]

@Acill

Steven soilie
Will hyperion sell gorky 17 via amistore

BCP 
Posted on 18-Oct-2015 19:20:38
#16 ]

@number6

I realize that Trevor has already spoken, but if possible, I would like to know if any progress has been made in getting the X1000's on-board network port working with OS4.1 ?

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

Tuxedo 
Posted on 18-Oct-2015 20:30:27
#17 ]
Elite Member

@all

and answers?

Everblue 
Posted on 18-Oct-2015 20:38:48
#18 ]
Cult Member

I'm looking forward for Trevor's answers to all Tabor related questions. Thanks!

wawa 
Posted on 18-Oct-2015 22:53:13
#19 ]
Elite Member

@number6

maybe you could give us the compilation of answers?

Acill 
Posted on 19-Oct-2015 1:53:38
#20 ]

@Everblue

From what I saw of it, the Tabor boards are great little machines. I think it will turn out to be a great entry level system for those wanting to get into Amiga OS 4.1 and beyond!

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle